Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Poque posted:

I think it's working well that they're being asked to help create narrative rather than just react to narrative. Clint is a lot more creative than I would've given him credit for in the previous arcs!

I think is a pretty good way to put it. He has a hard time doing anything meaningful when just trying to further someone else's narrative, but given the freedom to create his own for a bit, he's doing great. I've never disliked Clint or anything, I've just felt that he hasn't been able to do much, and is kind of hamstrung by expectations set by the way to brothers interact with one another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I found this great fanart of the StarBlaster after Travis adds arms to it.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

creationist believer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U0blDjQ2Gg

Mario Odyssey looks much better than the initial trailer

the goomba mass is more repulsive and horrifying than anything in car boys

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

cheater

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

These episodes of TAZ have been real boring. I don't give a single poo poo about the system, I'm just bored.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

myron cope posted:

These episodes of TAZ have been real boring. I don't give a single poo poo about the system, I'm just bored.

ok

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
God what was that lovely awful music they played in the middle of car boys? Very fitting for the lovely awful blob I guess

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I am finding this arc exceedingly difficult to get through. I recently listened to the donor bonus episode with the sandcastle dungeon and the difference is stark. It's full of goofs, fun, and interaction. I'm really growing weary of Griffin's massive exposition dumps that started in The Crystal Kingdom. This arc takes it to a new level - all these rich, intricate world he created with almost nothing for the players to actually do.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Colonel Whitey posted:

God what was that great music they played in the middle of car boys? Very fitting for the great blob I know

this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APIKVLw1tT0

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Typically with good fantasy (or even good storytelling in general) is to start with your world-building and narrow the focus as you approach the endpoint of your story. Griffin's decision to backlog all the exposition is really dragging down the show, and drastically reducing the amount of goofage in a comedy podcast. I hope the next campaign is better about this.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Typically with good fantasy (or even good storytelling in general) is to start with your world-building

Actually, you should start with a story idea, and think about how the world fits that.

Just lol at "world-bulding"

KoB
May 1, 2009

myron cope posted:

cool

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Poque posted:

gotcha, thanks guys. Barry still didn't have to be such a dingus about it, but I won't put any more thought into it.

I'm really enjoying Stolen Century part 2, considering that this is only the second episode where the PLAYERS are more responsible for narrative, it's really flowing well.

There's a line in the last Lunar Interlude where the character in question says he had to play a part he didn't want to when interacting with the boys, so that they wouldn't get too close to remembering that they and Barry used to be friends and former crewmates. Also recall that the Director has an alarm system set up in the baby voidfish chamber that rings when someone tries to remember the information that was fed to the baby (I think?), presumably so she could keep track of whatever Barry's doing.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Actually, you should start with a story idea, and think about how the world fits that.

Just lol at "world-bulding"

Fair enough. I probably should have said that exposition, if needed, should be front-loaded so you don't end up with, say, your characters hurtling towards the climax suddenly taking a momentum-killing time-out to pal around with some aliens that really don't make a huge difference in the grand scheme of the story. You know, like Return of the Jedi.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I think Travis's response when he instantly agreed to let the mushroom planet people die sums up this arc - nothing matters and there are so far no real consequences. How are we supposed to care about any of this?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Colonel Whitey posted:

God what was that lovely awful music they played in the middle of car boys? Very fitting for the lovely awful blob I guess

your taste is inverted, in that you think Car Boys is good and music from Paprika is bad

that song is the only good thing in the video

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Alaois posted:

your taste is inverted, in that you think Car Boys is good and music from Paprika is bad

that song is the only good thing in the video

Lol

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

dantheman650 posted:

I think Travis's response when he instantly agreed to let the mushroom planet people die sums up this arc - nothing matters and there are so far no real consequences. How are we supposed to care about any of this?

Literally the very next words out of his mouth are about how that's not true. Did you stop listening at that exact sentence?

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

myron cope posted:

I've just stopped bothering with the podcast until they move on to a new setting. At least there's still plenty of other good McElroy content.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

dantheman650 posted:

Who What Now posted:

Literally the very next words out of his mouth are about how that's not true. Did you stop listening at that exact sentence?

Also Griffin has repeatedly said that their choices and actions in this story, as well as the tools and plot stuff they find here are gonna tie in heavily in the final "Fight the Hunger" arc. In the mean time, it gives us a look into Tres Horny Boys we couldn't get otherwise where they're young and scarred by the events that, so far as we've seen, defined who they were on the adventure up until now while also letting the whole family get to do some character and world building that's already lead to some great moments for each of them. All of that on top of expanding on what the relics and Hunger are and giving us some characterization for Barry, Lup, Davenport and Lucrecia.

Also :laffo: at this post right here

dantheman650 posted:

I am finding this arc exceedingly difficult to get through. I recently listened to the donor bonus episode with the sandcastle dungeon and the difference is stark. It's full of goofs, fun, and interaction. I'm really growing weary of Griffin's massive exposition dumps that started in The Crystal Kingdom. This arc takes it to a new level - all these rich, intricate world he created with almost nothing for the players to actually do.

Because Griffin and the other players have all said they've taken it in a lot of directions that Griffin just didn't plan as recently as TTAZZ 2 and also because "God Griffin is just setting up plot and not letting the boys do anything with the world he made" feels like a really disingenuous complaint when talking about the current arc which is "Griffin provides a skeleton of a setting and the boys take turns filling in the gaps while also doing character stuff."

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Apr 28, 2017

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
The "boys take turns" thing is the entire problem for me. The system discourages interaction by having each character do something separately (or with an NPC at most). That means there's long periods of Griffin talking to himself, then Griffin talking to one of the others one-on-one.

Ultimately this is a temporary thing so it won't matter too much, but i can completely understand why people are zoning out on these episodes. The system leaves a lot less room for moments like the poison gas plants, Taako summoning a horse, saving Magnus' soul in the astral plane etc, and those are really the bits I listen for.

Deport The Irish
Nov 25, 2013
Not really feeling this TAZ arc, either. Probably would have been fine if it stuck to the plan of just being a couple episodes, since there have been a couple decent moments. But since we're not even a quarter of the way through it, I'm not interested in listening to Griffin describe fantasy world concepts that will never be seen or heard from again for another 6 episodes or whatever its going to take.

It also has the universal problem all prequels suffer from: since we already know how the Stolen Century ends, there aren't any stakes.

Deport The Irish fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Apr 29, 2017

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, this latest arc has plenty pf problems, but railroading isn't one of them. Absolutely nothing that happened in the latest epiosde would have happened if one of the three of them had not specifically set out to do it.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I also wanted to say that it never ceases to amaze me how good of a physics simulator BeamNG.Drive is when you aren't intentionally pushing it past its limits. When they had the wind blowing at a moderate speed against the blob, it rolled pretty much exactly how you would expect it to roll in real life. That's incredible, especially considering how complicated the blob object must be.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Apr 28, 2017

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Just lol if you don't love car boys

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Fair enough. I probably should have said that exposition, if needed, should be front-loaded so you don't end up with, say, your characters hurtling towards the climax suddenly taking a momentum-killing time-out to pal around with some aliens that really don't make a huge difference in the grand scheme of the story. You know, like Return of the Jedi.

Griffin's main intake of adventure stories is from video games. It's not great storytelling structure, but it is exactly what videogames do. Likely because it's player driven and developers want to stay out of players' ways and have them invested before dumping the backstory. It's not really an excuse, but Griffin's never really written fiction before and his inspirations show.

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008
Have they rolled a failure on anything yet? I guess Griffin's a little gun shy after the suffering game but I don't think partial success is "You get to do what you wanted after talking some more"

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Merle failed to communicate with the robot people, but they used an asset to upgrade that to a mixed success.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

SoupyTwist posted:

Have they rolled a failure on anything yet? I guess Griffin's a little gun shy after the suffering game but I don't think partial success is "You get to do what you wanted after talking some more"

Magnus rolled a six and it caused him to follow a strategy guide written by Kenny Rogers.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
burning myself on all the blazing hot takes in this thread

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

People explaining why they don't like things as much as previous entries in the series are absolutely issuing the hottest of hot takes.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

So far everybody who has expressed their dissatisfaction with the latest TAZ arc has done so in a clear and reasoned manner. The people trying to drop sick burns in response are kind of lame though.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Ariong posted:

So far everybody who has expressed their dissatisfaction with the latest TAZ arc has done so in a clear and reasoned manner. The people trying to drop sick burns in response are kind of lame though.

oh I mean the car boys stuff I should have clarified

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
There is a new Touch The Skyrim and the thumbnail looks like nightmare fuel and I can't wait

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U0blDjQ2Gg

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

do you want me to go into a deep philosophical treatise about how I personally don't find Car Boys to be very entertaining and how that guy is extremely stupid for thinking that song from Paprika is bad or what are you expecting of me

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

I mean hearing that song just made me want to go watch paprika again. That movie's great.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Alaois posted:

do you want me to go into a deep philosophical treatise about how I personally don't find Car Boys to be very entertaining and how that guy is extremely stupid for thinking that song from Paprika is bad or what are you expecting of me

yeah that's fine that's pretty much what I wanted

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Most things are good.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

poor life choice posted:

Most things are good.

Uh, let me tell you about a little something called Strugeon's Law and how wait no don't go my negativity and smugness are endearing

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
"Suddenly, Mario fucks" is possibly the best quote to come out of CGI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Alaois posted:

Yes please explain how that lovely music is good, I like to laugh