Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I haven't had any problems using AirPlay from my phone for Amazon stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jack Gladney posted:

They're direct competitors because of the itunes store. Don't hold your breath for ever getting one.

But then why is there an iOS app?

Nah, Bezos is a weird, spiteful idiot who was driven crazy by the fact that the AppleTV outsold the FireTV on his own website. Occam's Razor.

ManSedan posted:

I haven't had any problems using AirPlay from my phone for Amazon stuff
It works pretty good, it's just an extra pain in the rear end. Especially when I don't have the phone in the same room.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

flosofl posted:

Nah, Bezos is a weird, spiteful idiot who was driven crazy by the fact that the AppleTV outsold the FireTV on his own website. Occam's Razor.

It works pretty good, it's just an extra pain in the rear end. Especially when I don't have the phone in the same room.

There's no amazon phone. Set-top boxes are in the same market. I'd consider the kindle fire a complication, but who cares about the kindle fire?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jack Gladney posted:

There's no amazon phone. Set-top boxes are in the same market. I'd consider the kindle fire a complication, but who cares about the kindle fire?

I'd buy that if they took the app away from iOS when they actually *did* have a phone. Also, the the Roku, PS4, and Xbone all have native apps.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Amazon doesn't have a game console.

The only valid complaint Amazon has against Apple is that they can't sell poo poo without giving Apple a 15% commission for some drat reason. Why you can't sell videos without using IAP and giving Apple a commission, but you can sell physical goods like kitty litter and baseballs without, who knows.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Craptacular! posted:

The only valid complaint Amazon has against Apple is that they can't sell poo poo without giving Apple a 15% commission for some drat reason. Why you can't sell videos without using IAP and giving Apple a commission, but you can sell physical goods like kitty litter and baseballs without, who knows.

They get around this with the phone app already though by only having it be a player. They could do the same for the Apple TV.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
My point is, they don't like it. They could get around it, or they could use whatever leverage they have as an online superstore and a major source of video streaming to discourage people from using Apple products.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Craptacular! posted:

What? Roku is not a game console, and you do realize the PS4 and Xbone position themselves as more than a game console, but as a whole media solution for the home?

Craptacular! posted:

Amazon can sell all the poo poo they want, but if they use the IAP they need to pay the Apple Tax. Tough poo poo and there's a way around it. The same way you "get around it" in iOS. Use a loving web-browser. I have had no problems purchasing the very few digital media items I have from them using safari.

Amazon digital services are terrible and they make business decisions on emotion and spite. I bought a fireTV 4K thinking I'd use it more, but thanks to the inferior picture and overall sluggishness of the box, it just sits in a drawer. I use either my PS4 or AirPlay to my AppleTV from my iPhone. But it's rare I use it anymore. By choosing not to support my preferred platform I just find myself not using it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

flosofl posted:

What? Roku is not a game console, and you do realize the PS4 and Xbone position themselves as more than a game console, but as a whole media solution for the home?

Amazon can sell all the poo poo they want, but if they use the IAP they need to pay the Apple Tax. Tough poo poo and there's a way around it. The same way you "get around it" in iOS. Use a loving web-browser. I have had no problems purchasing the very few digital media items I have from them using safari.

Amazon digital services are terrible and they make business decisions on emotion and spite. I bought a fireTV 4K thinking I'd use it more, but thanks to the inferior picture and overall sluggishness of the box, it just sits in a drawer. I use either my PS4 or AirPlay to my AppleTV from my iPhone. But it's rare I use it anymore. By choosing not to support my preferred platform I just find myself not using it.

Rocku doesn't have a digital movie store though. Amazon and apple compete with digital movie sales and set-top boxes. Only on Apple TV do those two categories merge completely.

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

flosofl posted:

Because the iOS install base is too high. Amazon can't ignore it. There are far fewer Apple TVs in the world.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

flosofl posted:

TVOS doesn't have a webbrowser/WebView...

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The real answer to why they don't have an app is this: As a consumer I don't loving care and they should stop measuring dicks and do what's best for their user base, the stupid fucks.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Hughlander posted:

TVOS doesn't have a webbrowser/WebView...

I think you're missing his point: you can't purchase movies in the Amazon Video app in iOS, but you can just go onto Amazon via any web browser, buy a movie, and it shows up in the Amazon Video app. You could do the same with a hypothetical tvOS app. Unless you're trying to argue that people that own AppleTVs don't also own another device which uses a web browser, which would be a dumb thing to argue.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Mahoning posted:

I think you're missing his point: you can't purchase movies in the Amazon Video app in iOS, but you can just go onto Amazon via any web browser, buy a movie, and it shows up in the Amazon Video app. You could do the same with a hypothetical tvOS app. Unless you're trying to argue that people that own AppleTVs don't also own another device which uses a web browser, which would be a dumb thing to argue.

Give it up. They've drawn an extremely specific line in the sand that "proves" their point.

Other than the weird tantrum Bezos threw a couple years ago when he publicly forbid AppleTV boxes being sold on Amazon, no one knows why there's no AppleTV app. Simplicity points to a spiteful baby making decisions at Amazon and everything else sounds like post-hoc rationalization.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Speaking of corporate fights making my life more annoying, I really wish Netflix was in the TV app so that stuff showed up in What's Next. I find that feature surprisingly useful, listing out the next episode of the HBO show we are binging, plus the new episodes of something else that just aired. Makes cord cutting seem even easier.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

smackfu posted:

Speaking of corporate fights making my life more annoying, I really wish Netflix was in the TV app so that stuff showed up in What's Next. I find that feature surprisingly useful, listing out the next episode of the HBO show we are binging, plus the new episodes of something else that just aired. Makes cord cutting seem even easier.

100% agreed. If I could get Netflix AND Amazon in there, I'd be a very happy camper.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Does Hulu on the AppleTV output Dolby Digital 5.1? It's not doing so for me (even though it does for Netflix) and I can't tell if something's broke or if it just doesn't do it.

EDIT: Some googling has informed me that no, Hulu does not support 5.1 audio. Which is mind-blowing to me in TYOOL 2017. So even their top tier originals, like 11/22/63 or Handmaid's Tale - are only available in 2.0 stereo? That's bonkers.

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Apr 29, 2017

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

OldSenileGuy posted:

Does Hulu on the AppleTV output Dolby Digital 5.1? It's not doing so for me (even though it does for Netflix) and I can't tell if something's broke or if it just doesn't do it.

EDIT: Some googling has informed me that no, Hulu does not support 5.1 audio. Which is mind-blowing to me in TYOOL 2017. So even their top tier originals, like 11/22/63 or Handmaid's Tale - are only available in 2.0 stereo? That's bonkers.

I actually called Hulu about this, because I couldn't believe they'd release a show like Handmaid's Tale in 2.0. They confirmed: No 5.1. Incredible.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

They have a bunch of movies in stereo as well, it's baffling.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Is it their fault or the fault of whoever gives them the stuff?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If it's a Hulu original series like Handmaid's Tale, it's absolutely their fault.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I love how practically at the exact same time, Apple updates the AppleTV with the faster scrolling feature and Netflix updates their app to have a continuous scroll. So instead of now being able to quickly scroll back to the top, I can now just quickly scroll in a continuous loop.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
The awfulness of this new Hulu app is really something. I wish Hulu had some decent competition in the 'current season of tv' arena so I could just delete this abomination.

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
THANK YOU. I can't even begin to describe how much I hate the new Hulu app. Thank god I barely use it anymore and just watch things on Hulu through the TV app.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
And despite all the changes to the Hulu app, they STILL don't support 5.1. :bang:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

OldSenileGuy posted:

And despite all the changes to the Hulu app, they STILL don't support 5.1. :bang:

I could swear some shows are in 5.1, just not everything. As a professional user experience designer my official opinion of their new UI is that it is butt.

Also lots of rumors today about Apple and Amazon sorting out their business and Prime Video finally coming to the AppleTV.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

A glimmer of hope appears.

https://arstechnica.com/apple/2017/05/report-amazon-is-making-an-apple-tv-app-almost-2-years-after-it-said-it-would/

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Came to post this version of same 'rumor' https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2017/05/05/apple-and-amazon-finally-bury-the-tv-hatchet/#75d1385274ce

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Prime Video would make the AppleTV the hands-down best tv streaming box. It is literally the only major problem I have with it.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Mahoning posted:

Prime Video would make the AppleTV the hands-down best tv streaming box. It is literally the only major problem I have with it.
It's ridiculous they didn't ship the latest with 4K, though.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

ufarn posted:

I'd guess they were concerned with keeping the price point as low as possible given that some of the competition is well under $100.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I guess I'm not understanding how Apple is making a concession with these rumors. They didn't bend on iOS, so Prime Video only plays your library and only allows you to add "no-charge" videos. If you want to purchase you go through the Amazon website. As far as I knew it was 100% in Amazon's court and Bezos has been in a weird snit at Apple for years (or even longer if you count the Kindle App and not being able to buy books directly).

I don't really care who's fault it is to be honest. I just want a native app that will play videos from Amazon.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I mean, does iTunes even have movies in 4K? Would anything beyond Netflix and maybe YouTube even utilize 4K even if it was capable? I know early adopters harp on poo poo like 4K but I honestly can't name a single person I know with a 4K capable tv. Not saying they aren't out there but I'd love to see numbers on what the adoption rate really is for 4K.

It definitely would've been a good future-proofing move to include it but I don't think it's as big a deal as people have made it out to be.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

ufarn posted:

They shipped the latest in September 2015. Seems far from ridiculous.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Also there's this HDR format war amongst like 4 competing HDR formats that is still ongoing. I'm assuming Apple wants that mostly sorted out before releasing a UHD-capable AppleTV box. Just streaming (heavily compressed) 4K without HDR isn't really all that great.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Mahoning posted:

I mean, does iTunes even have movies in 4K? Would anything beyond Netflix and maybe YouTube even utilize 4K even if it was capable? I know early adopters harp on poo poo like 4K but I honestly can't name a single person I know with a 4K capable tv. Not saying they aren't out there but I'd love to see numbers on what the adoption rate really is for 4K.

It definitely would've been a good future-proofing move to include it but I don't think it's as big a deal as people have made it out to be.

I have a bunch of plex content in 4K.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
My surround system is connected to an optical splitter, which connects to my TV.

Surround - Splitter - TV.

If I connect my new Apple TV with no optical port to my TV with HDMI, would the digital audio be transmitted?

From what I understand, this may not work for several reasons, one of them being the use of PCM 5.1 instead of Dolby 5.1.

My sound system is pretty old, so it doesn't support stuff like ARC.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 12:46 on May 6, 2017

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

I don't really understand your setup. What's an optical splitter?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

EngineerJoe posted:

I don't really understand your setup. What's an optical splitter?
I only have one optical port on my receiver, so I need to split it to use surround for my PS4, TV, and so on.

Maybe the right term is a switch, i dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dem Bones
Feb 25, 2005
Listen, I didn't face ten long tours against the goddamn 'bots to come back home and lift baby weights.
Some TVs have an optical out that you might be able to use that will output what they get over HDMI. All else fails you can put a cheap HDMI->HDMI+optical box between your ATV and your TV/surround: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NBKTWT0/