Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

HoneyBoy posted:

I wonder how far they intend to get on a shorter season

25 episodes covered what like, 33 chapters right? Is this gonna be another 15 chapters? That'd end it right around the Eren/Reiner brawl I think?

It should cover up to about chapter 50, which is when Eren discovers his ability as the coordinate and they defeat Reiner/Bert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i'm actually real glad they murdered bert, not because of his crimes, but because he was a mopey boring loser

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Is that not a crime in itself

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

They didn't show any discussion about the can. It's just him staring at a it saying "Ymir....you..." and then she glares at him, and then the sentry screams that the titans are attacking.
I would really hope they're going to include this as a flashback next week, since they skipped everything from them getting into the castle to that moment. They skip the pompadour guy finding booze and mentioning how it must be a smuggler hideout, they skip Connie bringing up the titan looking like his mom only for Ymir to start taunting him to try and make him drop the subject, and of course they skip the part where Ymir and Reiner both shoot each other ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) looks and acknowledge that they're gay.

It seems weird to need to cut things in episode three of a new season, and what sane anime studio would cut shipping-related materials, which is the lifeblood of many a series, this one included.

Since the new season has been fond of skipping back and forth (was it like for this part in the manga? can't remember) they'll probably put all that stuff as a flashback. If not, welp.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Chapter 50 or 51 is Eren using the coordinate power. Im assuming theyd make that the final episode.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

i hope eren does a huge heel turn and gets taken over by the first king who wants to genocide wipe the marleys now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PbdyJ_ybSI

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Watching the new season, it had never before occurred to me that the 'smugglers' who left the mysterious food cans and booze were clearly just Monkey Business. That may even have been a factor in why he retreated - he had lost his base of operations.

I can't wait to see the anime-only watchers freak out over some of the revelations to come in this season.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

that theory doesn't make sense if reinhardt couldn't read it

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

He was faking it

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
The first thing Connie notes when he comes into the tower is that it's been recently used. What smugglers would be trafficking canned goods written in an unreadable language? If the cans were pre-wall - i.e: older than 100 years - I would think they would have rusted and rotted entirely.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Oh I forgot if reiner at this time knew if ymir was the titan that ate their coworker or not.

If reiner knew he had no reason to lie.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

comedyblissoption posted:

that theory doesn't make sense if reinhardt couldn't read it

It does if you take into account the split personality thing he has going on. Reiner the soldier wouldn't know anything about it, but Reiner the warrior would.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

comedyblissoption posted:

Oh I forgot if reiner at this time knew if ymir was the titan that ate their coworker or not.

If reiner knew he had no reason to lie.

He did not know, I believe.

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

Also isn't Ymir like a lot older than Reiner? So it's not impossible that she could read something he couldn't.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I forget how goofy looking the shot of Monkey Man charging the walls with an entire zoo is, but I get to remember every week.

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat

Genocyber posted:

It does if you take into account the split personality thing he has going on. Reiner the soldier wouldn't know anything about it, but Reiner the warrior would.

Ohhh, I like this. This has been confusing me for a while--well, for as long as after I caught up 60 chapters (holy poo poo)--since it was all definitive from everyone he couldn't and yet language doesn't change that fast for in 60 years a new writing system to be developed even if it is just the other one in a different direction. Especially since, come to think of it, Marley and Eldia/the people on Paradiso use the same (current) writing system, right?

But speaking of the last two chapters, I'm way unsold on it. One, I'm surprised after failure Reiner and Zeke were allowed to live. And two, man, it's weird to have a four year time skip without our old protagonists. I mean, has Eren kept quiet about his revelation about using the coordinate power because he touched titan Dina for the past 4 years? How is Isayam gonna address that? Ah, yeah, that's right, there was another time skip after he got that realization and had more PTSD flashbacks after touching Historia for the medaling ceremony. When are we gonna learn about that. :colbert: And even then, I was enjoying Eren's increasing PTSD flashbacks and dissociation of identity as a result of regaining his fathers/Eren Kruger's memories. (Man, Kruger telling Grisha about Armin and Mikasa is such another great mystery hook. I wonder how bad Grisha poo poo bricks when he heard the Ackermans had a daughter named Mikasa and his son had made a new friend called Armin. Assuming that conversation itself wasn't a dissociative memory thing of Eren's of what his father told him before turning him into a titan).

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

tweet my meat posted:

I forget how goofy looking the shot of Monkey Man charging the walls with an entire zoo is, but I get to remember every week.

It reminds me of power rangers

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Ymir's transformation looked really loving sick

Also did they really need to add VA for that scene with Gerger and Nanaba I mean jesus loving christ :psyduck:

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat

HoneyBoy posted:

Ymir's transformation looked really loving sick

I was planning on giffing it, but I got sidetracked by the dude whose head goes donk against the roof of the hole he's pulled out of. I don't remember if that was in the manga--an odd kindness to him, regardless.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

HoneyBoy posted:

Also did they really need to add VA for that scene with Gerger and Nanaba I mean jesus loving christ :psyduck:
Don't want people to forget AoT is a very serious and mature story.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

They do a great job on the animated series. The tension is thick as gently caress even when you know what's coming.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
The show is honestly better than the manga. Pretty much all the changes it makes improve the overall experience, especially its reordering of scenes. The show made the Annie reveal a lot more tense by shifting things around a bit. I think this previous episode worked better for the same reason.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
The anime's good but it has its fair share of serious problems. The first season had some awful filler (particularly in Trost), cut/changed some important scenes/character moments (like Annie teaching Eren to fight and the Wall Titan reveal come to mind), and really messed with the characterization of some characters (Eren especially). This season has been better but it's not over yet.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Remember that S2 has quietly switched directors. Araki is out (well, has less responsibility, anyway), and the Seraph of the End associate director is in. That may explain some alterations to the show's general feel.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Apr 24, 2017

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

In It For The Tank posted:

The anime's good but it has its fair share of serious problems. The first season had some awful filler (particularly in Trost), cut/changed some important scenes/character moments (like Annie teaching Eren to fight and the Wall Titan reveal come to mind), and really messed with the characterization of some characters (Eren especially). This season has been better but it's not over yet.

Also they've been pushing Bertholdt and Reiner way, way harder than the manga did, the manga's use of them was extremely good in such a way that only one guy really guessed it and laid it all out in that magnificent breakdown that turned out to be almost 100% spot on like two years before it happened, but the anime keeps giving them full shots of being all

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

I was getting the same feeling about Reiner and Bert being really suspicious, but I couldn't tell how much of it was me already knowing the big reveal and how much of it was the anime just being less sneaky with the foreshadowing.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Also they've been pushing Bertholdt and Reiner way, way harder than the manga did, the manga's use of them was extremely good in such a way that only one guy really guessed it and laid it all out in that magnificent breakdown that turned out to be almost 100% spot on like two years before it happened, but the anime keeps giving them full shots of being all

That stuff is in the manga too, though. You're generally going to notice it more when you're looking for it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
it's probably more noticeable because the animators can actually draw

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The manga, in retrospect, does a lot of super-suspicious stuff that you don't notice through a combination of not looking for it, the art being kinda bad, and clever direction. It's a lot harder to hide that stuff in animation because you're not glancing over one panel briefly.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Also a tiny panel is a full blown scene in the anime.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

one guy really guessed it and laid it all out in that magnificent breakdown that turned out to be almost 100% spot on like two years before it happened,

link please

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

TWIST FIST posted:

link please
I BELIEVE this is a copy of the original text. Certainly seems like it based on the length.

https://mangahelpers.com/forum/threads/armored-and-colossal-titan.79286/

edit: yep, it's a copy of the original post. I think the mangafox link was also a copy, pretty sure it was posted on a blog in 2011 or something.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Apr 24, 2017

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That's awesome. Where is it?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Looks to be somewhere in Trost, imo

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
A Google image search says Universal Studios Japan.

EDIT: Here's a travel blog to Universal Studios Japan which has more pictures and information on the Attack on Titan theme stuff.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

quote:

You’re basically in this spaceship that’s zipping through and around an urban battlefield (Tokyo?) where good guy Evangelion cyborgs are kung fu fighting with bad guy giant Angels.

This is the best description of Evangelion I've ever seen. Those Evangelion heads filled with popcorn are awesome though.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Apr 27, 2017

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So I reread the series and the Reiss family is a lot more tragic when you know shifters only live for 13 years. To survive they must've had to have tons of kids and then watch them eat other in turn.

EDIT: Also Chapter 71 is a lot more interesting with the context we know now.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Apr 29, 2017

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Did a decent job of explaining why Grisha made Eren a titan without telling him anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Conspiratiorist posted:

Did a decent job of explaining why Grisha made Eren a titan without telling him anything.

There's an interesting ethical dilemma in there somewhere.