Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.
So Mr Kaplan was Liz's nanny who practically raised her and loved her like a daughter? That explains the numerous scenes where Kaplan treated Liz as someone who was a passing acquaintance at best, someone to be tolerated at worst.

BrandonGK fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Apr 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

BrandonGK posted:

So Mr Kaplan was Liz's nanny who practically raised her and loved her like a daughter? That explains the numerous scenes where Kaplan treated Liz as someone as someone who was a passing acquaintance at best, someone to be tolerated at worst.

Somehow despite this and a lack of Spader this was actually a drat good episode.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

BrandonGK posted:

So Mr Kaplan was Liz's nanny who practically raised her and loved her like a daughter? That explains the numerous scenes where Kaplan treated Liz as someone who was a passing acquaintance at best, someone to be tolerated at worst.

Yeah, I liked the idea of getting Kaplan's backstory but then thought it was kinda dumb when it turned out that much of her life revolved around Liz. I still think the writers are convinced for some reason that Liz is this super interesting captivating amazing character.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

CaptainCaveman posted:

Yeah, I liked the idea of getting Kaplan's backstory but then thought it was kinda dumb when it turned out that much of her life revolved around Liz. I still think the writers are convinced for some reason that Liz is this super interesting captivating amazing character.

It's hilarious that this giant, global spanning conflict involving multiple powerful individuals and groups is centered around someone who barely seems to give a poo poo, and is slightly irritated that people keep bothering her with it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

BrandonGK posted:

It's hilarious that this giant, global spanning conflict involving multiple powerful individuals and groups is centered around someone who barely seems to give a poo poo, and is slightly irritated that people keep bothering her with it.

It's because she has Jesus' DNA. That's why Kirk wanted Agnes. God's blood. Reddington thinks he's of a long lineage of geniuses which included a man named Romboldo, so he was *fated* to be honeytrapped by Katarina, and that's why he seemingly cannot die.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
they should have CGI'd young 1980's Red.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
That loving venetian blends nose shadow cracked me the hell up, it was so half-assed

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I like the new guy, even if it seems like he's so competent he's just going to clown Ressler at every turn until he's forced to be ~brought into the fold~ when Red cures his niece of cancer or something to get him to play ball.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Ignis posted:

I heard The Blacklist literally wrote MGS' The Pain as an enemy this week. Have I been misled or is this true and should I catch up

There were no guns or grenades made of bees, just creepy person using bees as a shirt.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Also, I see we're back to the "Samar being a superbitch so we don't care when she gets dumpstered like Meera" writing team.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Also, I see we're back to the "Samar being a superbitch so we don't care when she gets dumpstered like Meera" writing team.

Oh great, I can look forward to that. I've been feeling reluctant to keep watching the show all season, especially since the break, but maybe this'll get me back into it.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

The whole Samar/Aram thing was cute for a while, but the writers stretched it way past the point of anyone caring.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

lmao ressler's old friend in the newest episode was so poorly written and acted I thought it was some kind of satirical comedy play/gambit meant to lampoon CSI procedurals, and then he'd get killed by a train or something comically crowd pleasing. Nope, he's actually supposed to be like that and it's intended to be coming across as hip and mysterious. lmao ahahahaha

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

TheRationalRedditor posted:

lmao ressler's old friend in the newest episode was so poorly written and acted I thought it was some kind of satirical comedy play/gambit meant to lampoon CSI procedurals, and then he'd get killed by a train or something comically crowd pleasing. Nope, he's actually supposed to be like that and it's intended to be coming across as hip and mysterious. lmao ahahahaha

At first the ice rink was so dimly lit I thought he was Romo Lampkin from BSG.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
We should all be so lucky as to have Romo Lampkin on this show.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Gonz posted:

We should all be so lucky as to have Romo Lampkin on this show.

Probably the only person Red would be scared of.

"Oh poo poo, *that* guy. Pack everything up, Dembe. We're going to go live on the International Space Station. I know a guy at Roscosmos who owes me a *huge* favor."

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Honestly? Samar is the only character in the show that acts like a human being.

Turning down whatever award because the guy giving it straight up told her that the only reason she was getting it was because another guy wanted her to have it? That actually makes sense given the context of the actual award.

If it were any other show, Samar would be the protagonist.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I basically just watch the show for Red's stories.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

TinTower posted:

I basically just watch the show for Red's stories.

I'm annoyed there's not a youtube compilation of all of them honestly.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Blacklist has been renewed for a 5th season.

The Blacklist:Redemption has been cancelled.

Edit: Updated

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 12, 2017

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

This was not a good episode. It had all the makings of one, but ultimately it's just another awkward wet fart that stunk up the room and quite literally led to everyone just backing away and agreeing that nothing of merit really happened.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Digital Jedi posted:

oh neat, looks like the IS RED HER FATHER thing from the preview that someone somewhere still cares about won't be getting resolved next week

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Digital Jedi posted:

The Blacklist:Redemption has been cancelled.

Edit: Updated
Spineless network execs will never fail to back the wrong lame horse

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Polygynous posted:

oh neat, looks like the IS RED HER FATHER thing from the preview that someone somewhere still cares about won't be getting resolved next week

I hacked the NBC Gibson and I'm here to spoil the season-ending cliffhanger for you all: just before learning the truth if Red *is* her father or not, Aram bursts in and claims ~The Hijacker~ has stolen all the Red Mercury Nuclear Missilebombs from the Fort Unicorn Fantasy Weapons Depot. Normally in this show's universe when someone steals a nuclear missilebomb it just kind of resolves itself, or someone like Ukrainian Bomb Guy merely wants a harmless doohickey that's *inside* the bomb, but they were ALL stolen so of course we have to keep tuning in!

All that aside, though...I know they're going to forget about it, but the inference that Katarina made Red *think* he was Lizzy's father is such a better dramatic element, because it makes Red that much more of a tragic character - the only thing he cares about in his life, the only legacy he has that will persist after he dies...is a lie that he's more than willing to delude himself into believing is true, and he's willing to ruin his 'daughter's' life merely to forcibly be part of hers. It'd make him a truly loathsome and reprehensible villain.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

BIG HEADLINE posted:

All that aside, though...I know they're going to forget about it, but the inference that Katarina made Red *think* he was Lizzy's father is such a better dramatic element, because it makes Red that much more of a tragic character - the only thing he cares about in his life, the only legacy he has that will persist after he dies...is a lie that he's more than willing to delude himself into believing is true, and he's willing to ruin his 'daughter's' life merely to forcibly be part of hers. It'd make him a truly loathsome and reprehensible villain.

That's what gets me, there's the potential for an interesting story and then it never really gets there. I have to wonder if there was some grand plan all along or if stuff like Liz being raised by Kaplan were a result of the writers going "oh poo poo this got renewed what the gently caress do we do now". Or quirky new FBI guy, I'm already disappointed in advance with wherever that's going. If anywhere at all.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Is this is a relationship we're suppose to be rooting for at this point? Just this episode Red had Liz kidnapped by a psychopath who would've killed her at anytime just to draw Kaplan out of hiding. This whole relationship is built on manipulation, control, and dependency. Liz's relationship with Tom is more healthier than this and he spied on her for years and got into several fistfights with her. Hell, from the performances I get the feeling that Spader and Megan Boone themselves don't particularly like each other.

Mr Kaplan's love for Liz feels more genuine and unselfish and that something the writers pulled out of their rear end a few episodes before.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
are you loving kidding me with this poo poo

edit: are you loving kidding me with this poo poo

Polygynous fucked around with this message at 03:52 on May 19, 2017

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Baz :(

also rip all the lizzington shippers for real, I guess

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

It's okay, in this universe, Cabinet officials get shot and/or disappear all the time. What a loving horrible waste of Christine Lahti. I was actually enjoying her 'pretersexual fore-word-play' with Ressler, though...right up until, you know... :stonklol:

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

They better not have him die.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Ignis posted:

also rip all the lizzington shippers for real, I guess
Is this a thing? Gross.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It's okay, in this universe, Cabinet officials get shot and/or disappear all the time. What a loving horrible waste of Christine Lahti. I was actually enjoying her 'pretersexual fore-word-play' with Ressler, though...right up until, you know... :stonklol:
Laughed heartily when this happened.

This finale has nothing on the finale of Blindspot.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

For as much Spader as we got last night, that was, on the whole, really bad Spader.

I also take back what I said about Aram's girlfriend, and again, how awkward that loving kiss was.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

The only good part of that was Reddington's Retirement Plan Island which, while ridiculously over-the-top and impractical, is exactly the sort of thing a supervillain criminal mastermind should have.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
My friends are going on about the bombshell being dropped that Liz is Red's daughter. I know they've shown red herrings along the way, but I thought it's been pretty obvious the entire series that it would eventually be revealed as such. And the Mr. Kaplan flashbacks cemented that, I thought. But apparently it's a MIND BLOWN Revelation.

Also, I think the island isn't Red's retirement plan, I think it's meant to be Liz's inheritance.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

The unconditional love of a parent is probably the only logical explanation for Red's never ending devotion to someone who isn't that special, and outright despises him most of the time.

BrandonGK fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 25, 2017

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Oh I would enjoy that scene.

"What makes me so special? It's just because I'm your daughter, isn't it?"

"Good heavens, yes. [laughter] You didn't think it could be anything else, did you? You've got all the personality of a wet tissue and the intellect of a bag of rocks. You're my greatest disappointment in life. But you're still my daughter."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

CaptainCaveman posted:

Oh I would enjoy that scene.

"What makes me so special? It's just because I'm your daughter, isn't it?"

"Good heavens, yes. [laughter] You didn't think it could be anything else, did you? You've got all the personality of a wet tissue and the intellect of a bag of rocks. You're my greatest disappointment in life. But you're still my daughter."

Maybe Katarina can come back and be disgusted by what a dim witted, simpering wet-blanket her daughter has become.

• Locked thread