Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mt. Modular
May 18, 2006

MinibarMatchman posted:

the last time I felt that way was after I heard D-Sides and wondered why on earth stuff like Happy Landfill and Hong Kong were left off. The former would have been a way better opening and the latter would have fit in nicely right before or after the Dennis Hopper schpiel.

If I recall correctly, "Hong Kong" was just a Damon track recorded specifically for a charity comp- maybe not at the same time the rest of DD was recorded. One of the best Gorillaz tracks though, period.

Also, nothing else goes after "...Monkey's Head." The last three tracks on DD flow together so perfectly to close that album out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Mt. Modular posted:

If I recall correctly, "Hong Kong" was just a Damon track recorded specifically for a charity comp- maybe not at the same time the rest of DD was recorded. One of the best Gorillaz tracks though, period.

Also, nothing else goes after "...Monkey's Head." The last three tracks on DD flow together so perfectly to close that album out.

Yeah the ending of DD is one of, if not the most, my favorite endings to an album.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Gorillaz: Hey the world and music are pretty cool. They have their ups and downs but we should enjoy ourselves and live a little.
Demon Days: Hey what the gently caress, world. We had a good thing going there.
Plastic Beach: Oh come the gently caress on, sort it out planet earth.
The Fall: I'M HIGH AS gently caress!
Humanz: gently caress it, lets dance until we die.

e: Huh, so the physical versions are just Noodle's face? I assumed that was just a placeholder. Bit mean on the other three isn't it?

stev fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 28, 2017

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Picked up the CD from Best Buy. It's nice having the tunes in my car.

It's me. I'm the guy living in the stone age.:corsair:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Now that we have it in the context of the rest of the album, I'm willing to say that I enjoy Hallelujah Money now.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I would do a performance to Hallelujah Money.

I can't see Momentz breaking out. It's too weird for Top 40. If Ascension or Andromeda were longer I could see them playing well. I'd put my money on Charger. Guess we'll see if anything shows up.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

cheese eats mouse posted:

I would do a performance to Hallelujah Money.

I can't see Momentz breaking out. It's too weird for Top 40. If Ascension or Andromeda were longer I could see them playing well. I'd put my money on Charger. Guess we'll see if anything shows up.

I'm willing to test this theory, will report back

Deltron 3030
Jul 23, 2006

I submit that you took that baseball, stashed it in your unusually large vagina, and walked right on out of here!
Gorillaz did an AMA today... Mostly just joke answers from the different characters rather than any real insight but entertaining.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Music/comments/682hwf/ama_we_are_the_gorillaz_ask_us_anything/

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Hedrigall posted:

loving hell the album is great. Strobelite is so catchy!!!

Also I can see Momentz being the next single and goddamn huge. Like the next Feel Good Inc for the band.

Sorry but I can't even fathom how anyone can possibly think that. I can understand liking the song but it's nowhere near as catchy or accessible as Feel Good Inc. I'd call the first five way more likely (but still unlikely).

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 29, 2017

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
The last minute of Ticker Tape is my poo poo

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
After listening all the way through I still don't see anything redeeming about Hallelujah Money except that it makes We Got The Power sound even better because of how bad it is.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I guarantee none of these songs will chart.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Did any song from plastic beach chart at all?

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I heard On Melancholy Hill at a Starbucks in 2010.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I haven't listened to the album in its entirety but it's just... I just don't get the hype. I just can't get into any of the singles.

I didn't like plastic beach but I still thought it was well done, it was just a taste thing. I liked the singles, even. But it grew on me quite a bit.

If it wasn't for Damon Albarn's voice tho I wouldn't think it's Gorillaz. Where are they. The singles are directionless and feature heavy. the press I've read describes it as 'more about the features artists' and the album is literally just called humans.

idk.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Finally got my Demon Dayz tickets! :toot:

Looking forward to seeing the new songs live.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

nigga crab pollock posted:

I haven't listened to the album in its entirety but it's just... I just don't get the hype. I just can't get into any of the singles.

I didn't like plastic beach but I still thought it was well done, it was just a taste thing. I liked the singles, even. But it grew on me quite a bit.

If it wasn't for Damon Albarn's voice tho I wouldn't think it's Gorillaz. Where are they. The singles are directionless and feature heavy. the press I've read describes it as 'more about the features artists' and the album is literally just called humans.

idk.

Ask yourself this: are you disappointed in the album, or are you just disappointing as a person in general?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

nigga crab pollock posted:

idk.

I get what you're saying. Ascension is immediately followed by the smooth Strobelight, and I still don't really like Saturn Barz. I really enjoyed this album all told! Give it a shot, I like it more than Plastic Beach.

(Helps that Ascension has really grown on me)

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Busted and Blue is a really chill track. I kinda love it.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Submission has to be my fav track on this album. Also Danny brown goes hard. Those lyrics man :smith:

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Hedrigall posted:

Ask yourself this: are you disappointed in the album, or are you just disappointing as a person in general?

yeah I'd say as a person I'm disappointed in Gorillaz

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm sorry for your loss. The rest of us will be over here, enjoying the hell out of this album.

Top 5 tracks for everyone? Here's mine, keeping in mind that I still haven't heard the bonus ones:

1. Submission
2. Andromeda
3. Momentz (I'm gonna need a fresh of breath air after that one!)
4. Strobelite
5. (really hard to decide) She's My Collar or Busted And Blue

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Submission has to be my fav track on this album. Also Danny brown goes hard. Those lyrics man :smith:

:hfive:

The chorus wailing in the background of this kinda spooks me out though :ohdear:

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

If we are excluding the already released songs, I think Submission will be the next single.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Submission
Charger
Ascension
Saturnz Barz
Momentz
She's My Collar
Hallelujah Money
We Got the Power
Out of Body
-
(Everything Else)

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Sex Murder Party

Holy poo poo Sex Murder Party is loving awful.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I thought the high points were Strobelite, Momentz, Submission (I did not like that guy coming in and loving jabbering though), Charger, Andromeda, Busted and Blue. Basically everything from Strobelite to Busted and Blue is great, then the next 3 tracks are just forgettable. I loved She's My Collar, though. I still think We Got The Power should be longer .

I loving hate Ascension and think that poo poo should have been axed and replaced with The Apprentice, or at least been moved out of the intro slot for Apprentice.

Overall it's a really weird album and needs time to grow on me but there feels like there's more songs I'd skip on this one than on Plastic Beach.

Out of Body sounds like if CSS actually had talent and a decent producer, lol.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I'm honestly really curious why people seem to kind of poo poo on Plastic Beach because it's far and away my favorite album of theirs, and honestly one of my favorite albums period. Yeah, Pirate Ship and Cloud of Unknowing suck, and it kind of puts a damper on the end of the album, but literally every other track is excellent, where I can't say that about any other album. I know taste is subjective, but it's just odd to see everyone have such a different opinion.

What is it specifically that makes people dislike it? Or at the least, like it so much less than the first two albums?

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
Plastic Beach is my least favorite album of theirs, and I still like it a whole lot. I think the problems some people take with it (myself included) is its sequencing. Glitter Freeze is probably the worst song to ever be put on a mainline Gorillaz album, and why it wasn't replaced with one if its many alternate versions just boggles my mind any time I hear it. Sweepstakes is a great song but placing it after Broken kind of ruins the flow of the second half of the album for me, and there are so many amazing songs recorded for PB that we never got (like Leviathan) that it kind of makes the record we got feel sort of flaccid. It's a really great album but compared to the rest it just feels a little undercooked.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

hughesta posted:

Plastic Beach is my least favorite album of theirs, and I still like it a whole lot. I think the problems some people take with it (myself included) is its sequencing. Glitter Freeze is probably the worst song to ever be put on a mainline Gorillaz album, and why it wasn't replaced with one if its many alternate versions just boggles my mind any time I hear it. Sweepstakes is a great song but placing it after Broken kind of ruins the flow of the second half of the album for me, and there are so many amazing songs recorded for PB that we never got (like Leviathan) that it kind of makes the record we got feel sort of flaccid. It's a really great album but compared to the rest it just feels a little undercooked.

That alternative version of Glitter Freeze is way worse imo. And Leviathan doesn't sound particularly great from that snippet alone.

I think PB is great but it doesn't have the immediate appeal that DD (and to a lesser extent ST) had. It's far more of a grower. I'd probably have said the same about Humanz if those first tracks didn't give me the chance to mentally prepare for something different.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Cloud of Unknowing was boss as hell. I love that track.

So far with Humanz I am really, really not enjoying Momentz. Maybe it just needs a few more listens before I have a sweeptstakes-esque eureka moment with it, but yeah I am not liking the song right now.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I am fully aware that I'm posting this in a Gorillaz release thread but...

This is a really weird album and sounds & feels like a noticeable departure and I'm only on my 2nd listen and I don't 'get it' yet but some of it is catchy.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
album is okay. momentz has to be the worst song the band has ever put out. thank god it's at the start and not the middle or the back of the album.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
You guys are weird. The first time I heard Momentz I immediately thought it was genius. And I'm generally more into the introspective Gorillaz songs like El Maņana and Empire Ants.

It's catchy and quirky and a real banger.

Momentz is to this album as Frankie Sinatra is to the second Avalanches album.

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

i miss damon albarn vocals. this is so feature heavy it feels less to me like gorillaz and more like a albarn-curated mixtape.

i like it a lot, but it gives me a different feeling than their past stuff.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Bust Rodd posted:

I am fully aware that I'm posting this in a Gorillaz release thread but...

This is a really weird album and sounds & feels like a noticeable departure and I'm only on my 2nd listen and I don't 'get it' yet but some of it is catchy.

I feel ya on the weirdness, there is a lot of whiplash between hopeful and upbeat songs and pretty dark music and metaphors.

Honestly it feels like there's either two albums mixed together here, each going different ways, or there's like a Tarantino-esque non-linear flow to it.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I mean, one of the central premises of the album is supposedly about how people react to some massive event that turns the world upside down, so it makes sense that it's going to have some massive tonal shifts.

vivisecting
Dec 13, 2012

it's been 15 years but im still upset that yamato became an astronaut and yet absolutely no one joined the federation since thats actually more plausible than that ending

MinibarMatchman posted:

Out of Body sounds like if CSS actually had talent and a decent producer, lol.

Oh poo poo, I was trying to figure out what the song reminded me of LOL

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I really like the bonus tracks. The flow from Out of Body to Ticker Tape to Circle of Friendz makes for a nice closer when I think of the album as one long apocalyptic dance party

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm not keen on Halfway to the Halfway house. It would've felt at home on The Fall.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Hedrigall posted:

You guys are weird. The first time I heard Momentz I immediately thought it was genius. And I'm generally more into the introspective Gorillaz songs like El Maņana and Empire Ants.

It's catchy and quirky and a real banger.

Momentz is to this album as Frankie Sinatra is to the second Avalanches album.

funny, in my notes when I listened I had written down "Superfast Jellyish on opiates" for Momentz. It's a real weird track but I dig it and De La Soul makes it work.

on second listen I really think my dislike of Ascension + the 3-track snooze of Carnival/Let Me Out/Sex Murder Party are what dampens a full runthrough for me. I wish they could have thrown Leviathan on here if only to break up a few tracks that sounded the same without much going on.

Ultimately the number of songs I really like equal about the same number as Plastic Beach for me, I think--though I thought PB sounded more together as a whole, the last 2 drawling tracks aside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
6 or 7 full album listens later, Sex Murder Party is still the only track that makes me think "Wait, what exactly were you going for here?"

That song feels so unfinished and mish-mash and empty.

My deluxe cd should arrive today, I'm pumped for bonus tracks (and putting it all together in iTunes as one complete album) :neckbeard: