Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

New chapter
https://yonkouprod.com/reader/read/attack-on-titan/en/0/93/page/1
edit: some wonky translation on it
edit 2: better one http://readms.net/r/attack_on_titan/093/4222/3

An interesting chapter.

It's funny to watch the anime now and then read the manga, and notice how far has advanced. Now it's about international politics, technological progress and Marleyans vs Eldians being at a crucial crossroad. Eldians are brainwashed into being obedient and useful to be redeemed, but what will happen when they lose their military value??
Also, despite saying the opposite to Falco, Reiner seems to have doubts about the the price one has to pay with the war. I think it's possible he is going to prime Falco to do what he should have done, betray Marley.

Also, we learn lots of things
-Ymir is dead, dead.
-Jaw titan is dancing titan. It seems Ymir wasn't of the 'right' bloodline so that's why she didn't have the full feature set (the jaw).
-Reiner felt guilty because his friend died (when Ymir gained the shifter ability) and Galliard is his brother, who blame Reiner.
-Cart titan is a woman.
-Paradis is doing pretty good, eliminating 32 destroyers without anyone escaping.
-In a way putting so many titans on the island was a mistake, that was like a evolutive pressure to advance anti-titan weaponry that no one in the world have.
-Ackermans confirmed to be another bloodline with powers, developed when Titan science was done. In fact this is the first confirmation of someone saying that yeah, it's 'titan science', so at some point the wold had future technology.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 09:29 on May 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnotGrumble
Jun 4, 2003

All men live in fear of him and his Moxie.
One thing confused me about this chapter. Why do they keep saying the armored titan is lost?

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Attack on Titan, starring Mads Mikkelsen as Admiral Nazi.

SnotGrumble posted:

One thing confused me about this chapter. Why do they keep saying the armored titan is lost?

I assume it's a poor translation and the meaning is that they've lost the advantage of the Armored Titan now that technology has progressed to the point where his armor can be penetrated.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
When i posted this:

Frionnel posted:

Also, the wiki has this, which is uhmmmm interesting
[timg]http://i.imgur.com/N1ctBtd.png[/url][/timg]

I didn't think it was right.

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 29, 2017

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Holy poo poo, that chapter is just dropping plot bombs like cluster-titans.

YMIR NO. Historia will burn the world for that.

EDIT: Also, those lost destroyers are certainly going to be making another appearance. Marley just gift-wrapped all their technology and sent it to Hanji on a silver platter.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Hmmm... If Jaws Titan and Dancing Titan are one and the same, doesn't this mean that we're still missing one Titan Shifter? Eren x2, Armin, Annie, Reiner, Gaillard, Zeke, however the gently caress you spell the new girl's name, only add up to eight, and we know that there should be nine.

Aumanor fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 29, 2017

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

So do the Marley folks also call Annie's titan the female titan? And does it always look like a girl regardless of who inherits it?

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006

Frionnel posted:

When i posted this:

I didn't think it was right.

The nazis originally planned on sending all the Jews to Madagascar...

JahRoo posted:

So do the Marley folks also call Annie's titan the female titan? And does it always look like a girl regardless of who inherits it?

The mule titan looks male but the shifter is clearly female. Maybe some of the titans simply work better if used by a specific gender, like how apparently Ymir didn't quite end up looking like the current jaw-titan and her titan wasn't very feminine either.

Piriwi fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 29, 2017

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
When does Crunchyroll usually put out their translated chapters?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

tap my mountain posted:

When does Crunchyroll usually put out their translated chapters?

Couple of days usually, but i haven't been able to notice a pattern.

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

JahRoo posted:

I was getting the same feeling about Reiner and Bert being really suspicious, but I couldn't tell how much of it was me already knowing the big reveal and how much of it was the anime just being less sneaky with the foreshadowing.

I feel like it'd seem a lot less blatant if they hadn't paraded the armored titan around so much when in the manga he's shown in a single panel ages before the reveal.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Next episode of the anime is the armored/colossal reveal :getin:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i really like how every now and then my body horror giant monster manga turns into a political thriller

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Well that's a disappointing ending for Ymir.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

i really like how every now and then my body horror giant monster manga turns into a political thriller

how many genres has this series been through now

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

TWIST FIST posted:

how many genres has this series been through now

Action
Adventure
MIlitary
Comedy
Mystery
Horror
Tragedy
Political thriller

I wonder if after the timeskip the author will make a real couple with some of the characters. Then we can add 'romance' to the list.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

JahRoo posted:

Yeah they call it the female titan too.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
Zeke is so rattled by this war. Between the anti-titan tactics and weaponry of Reiss and the advanced firepower of the opposing coalition the nation of Marley seems pretty screwed in the long run.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Sindai posted:

Well that's a disappointing ending for Ymir.

Especially after this week's episode. :stare:

I really hope we get some kind of perspective from the time-skip on the Paradis Island side beyond the Marleys intel.

Shneak fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 29, 2017

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Turin Turambar posted:

New chapter
https://yonkouprod.com/reader/read/attack-on-titan/en/0/93/page/1
edit: some wonky translation on it

An interesting chapter.

It's funny to watch the anime now and then read the manga, and notice how far has advanced. Now it's about international politics, technological progress and Marleyans vs Eldians being at a crucial crossroad. Eldians are brainwashed into being obedient and useful to be redeemed, but what will happen when they lose their military value??
Also, despite saying the opposite to Falco, Reiner seems to have doubts about the the price one has to pay with the war. I think it's possible he is going to prime Falco to do what he should have done, betray Marley.

Also, we learn lots of things
-Ymir is dead, dead.
-Jaw titan is dancing titan. It seems Ymir wasn't of the 'right' bloodline so that's why she didn't have the full feature set (the jaw).
-Reiner felt guilty because his friend died (when Ymir gained the shifter ability) and Galliard is his brother, who blame Reiner.
-Cart titan is a woman.
-Paradis is doing pretty good, eliminating 32 destroyers without anyone escaping.
-In a way putting so many titans on the island was a mistake, that was like a evolutive pressure to advance anti-titan weaponry that no one in the world have.
-Ackermans confirmed to be another bloodline with powers, developed when Titan science was done. In fact this is the first confirmation of someone saying that yeah, it's 'titan science', so at some point the wold had future technology.

You forgot Zekes biggest secret

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Forbidden rear end wiping techniques, we're really getting into the endgame of the story here.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Finally we know the purpose of the beast titan's super long arms.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

When zeke says revenge, he means revenge for getting insanely owned by Levi right?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Should I hold out for the manga stream translation or is the current one good enough?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Schwarzwald posted:

Should I hold out for the manga stream translation or is the current one good enough?

Hold.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Got it, coach.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Turin Turambar posted:

Action
Adventure
MIlitary
Comedy
Mystery
Horror
Tragedy
Political thriller

I wonder if after the timeskip the author will make a real couple with some of the characters. Then we can add 'romance' to the list.
you forgot Flesh Mecha

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

JahRoo posted:

When zeke says revenge, he means revenge for getting insanely owned by Levi right?
with all the talk of what happens to the eldians if titans become useless, it'd make a lot of sense for the marley titans to hatch a plot to betray marley and support paradis

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
lmao every time they do this

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Why didn't Ymir just suggest they keep Daz warm by digging out a little snow bivouac covered in leaves, and get naked and snuggle for warmth. And actually forget about Daz he's clearly too far gone to save.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

JahRoo posted:

I like that hes scared shitless of levi.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
Nice face, Gabi.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I like that hes scared shitless of levi.

I think any rational person would be given how loving strong he and Mikasa are

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Zeke has been indoctrinated by two cultures that the power of the titans is paramount, and after some initial success his troop is ultimately defeated by a few dozen kids with steampunk jetpacks and too large exacto knifes.

His world view likely wasn't too stable to begin with and that would shake anyone.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Schwarzwald posted:

Zeke has been indoctrinated by two cultures that the power of the titans is paramount, and after some initial success his troop is ultimately defeated by a few dozen kids with steampunk jetpacks and too large exacto knifes.

His world view likely wasn't too stable to begin with and that would shake anyone.
There's also the Thunder Spears, an anti-Titan weapon which was able to be built and put into combat within about 1-2 months (ish?) since Zeke met with Reiner and Bert. I'd imagine that now hearing about a 32-ship fleet being lost on a mission to the island, Zeke is possibly wondering (and rightfully scared about) just how far advanced Paradis Island has come in 4 years.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Man that flashback to Marcel, Bert and Annie was harrowing. Reiner watching the next generation give up their lives like his friends.

Turin Turambar posted:

Jaw titan is dancing titan. It seems Ymir wasn't of the 'right' bloodline so that's why she didn't have the full feature set (the jaw).

The bloodline stuff still confuses the hell out of me. Back when Eren gained the armor power someone mentioned the armor vial had "Braun" written on it in Japanese, so does every titan power have a specific family?

Also, if all Eldians are descendants of Ymir, then doesn't everybody have royal blood? And the comment about the colossal and female passing on the power to their children must be a really bad translation. Owl said himself the power passes on regardless of blood relation, and how the hell could Annie and Bert even have kids in the first place?

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Sub Harrison posted:

Also, if all Eldians are descendants of Ymir, then doesn't everybody have royal blood? And the comment about the colossal and female passing on the power to their children must be a really bad translation. Owl said himself the power passes on regardless of blood relation, and how the hell could Annie and Bert even have kids in the first place?

Hopefully a better translation will clear some of the confusion up, but when they said "their children" I assumed they mean Ymir's children, as in other Eldians. They're assuming that Annie and Bert are just dead and never got eaten by titanized Eldians, in which case the power would just plop down somewhere else, potentially back into a Marleyan Eldian rather than one on Paradis.

w.r.t "Royal Blood" I think the major distinction is between normal Eldians, who were the same race as Ymir and served as her subjects but were not directly related to her, and direct descendants of the Fritz family, who are related to her by blood. In this case, Zeke has royal blood if we believe that Dina Yeager is actually a member of the Fritz family by blood, but Eren is not since it's not stated anywhere that Grisha is royalty himself. This would also explain why Zeke has certain powers reminiscent of the coordinate, while Eren, despite having the coordinate, isn't able to really control the power.

What I'm curious about is why main character Ymir wasn't able to manifest all of the Jaw titan powers, since they haven't made any other bloodline distinctions as far as who is allowed to inherit which titans. It wouldn't make sense for certain powers to be specific to one family of Eldians, since then there would be no need for a recruiting process for warrior candidates as has been shown so far. Ymir was apparently homeless back in Marley, so it's possible that she's say, half Eldian and half Marleyan, which would explain why she can shift and be transformed, but doesn't fully manifest the powers that would be expected of a full-blooded Eldian. Grasping at straws, I know, but I'm having trouble finding an explanation for why Ymir's titan shifting form looked so weird and stubby compared to Galliard.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Sub Harrison posted:

The bloodline stuff still confuses the hell out of me. Back when Eren gained the armor power someone mentioned the armor vial had "Braun" written on it in Japanese, so does every titan power have a specific family?

Braun is Reiner's last name, so I would say that's a distinct possibility. We've been given several hints so far that titan powers seem to manifest differently in different people/bloodlines. The jaw titan, beast titan, and coordinate titan so far have evidence that their titan powers do not develop fully in certain people.

JahRoo posted:

w.r.t "Royal Blood" I think the major distinction is between normal Eldians, who were the same race as Ymir and served as her subjects but were not directly related to her, and direct descendants of the Fritz family, who are related to her by blood. In this case, Zeke has royal blood if we believe that Dina Yeager is actually a member of the Fritz family by blood, but Eren is not since it's not stated anywhere that Grisha is royalty himself. This would also explain why Zeke has certain powers reminiscent of the coordinate, while Eren, despite having the coordinate, isn't able to really control the power.

I think Zeke's deal is tied to some additional abilities of the beast titan when utilized by an ideal host. The fact that the titans he creates can walk around freely in moonlight is evidence that there is something going on beyond just the fact that they follow orders reminiscent of the coordinate.

flowinprose fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 30, 2017

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
They have made distinctions on who can or should inherit titan powers, and the "recruiting process" makes total sense in the context of only certain family lines having full compatibility with specific titan types: presumably you have several individuals that are ie compatible with the Armored Titan power, so when the time comes you just pick the kid among them that has distinguished themselves the most to inherit it.

It's why Gabi keeps talking about getting the Armored Titan, while Zeke talks about handing over the Beast Titan to Colt.

What would be interesting to see is if Armin managed to successfully integrate the Colossal Titan's powers, or pulled a Ymir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Conspiratiorist posted:

They have made distinctions on who can or should inherit titan powers, and the "recruiting process" makes total sense in the context of only certain family lines having full compatibility with specific titan types: presumably you have several individuals that are ie compatible with the Armored Titan power, so when the time comes you just pick the kid among them that has distinguished themselves the most to inherit it.

It's why Gabi keeps talking about getting the Armored Titan, while Zeke talks about handing over the Beast Titan to Colt.

What would be interesting to see is if Armin managed to successfully integrate the Colossal Titan's powers, or pulled a Ymir.

There is that panel of Eren in his titan forma and the Colossal titan, which I presume is Armin