Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Bicyclops posted:

To be fair, that is a revival thing rather than a Moffat thing. Nine and Ten screwed up a little now and then, but the Doctor has been getting more accurate with the TARDIS over the years.
Heck, Nine was only off by one year when he wanted to take Rose back home
And he was able to come back seconds after he left for 100 years to pick Rose up at the end of Series 1's first episode

Of course, Eleven was, what, 15 years late to pick up Amy?

So it's rather hit & miss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
And, if you watched the last episode, 12 brought Bill to the Frost Fair and not 2017.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Well we all know the TARDIS takes him where he needs to be. So anytime the Doctor landed somewhere or somewhen unintended it was for the better. Anytime he landed with pin point accuracy it was just the TARDIS saying, "yes, I agree let's go there" rather than "weeeeellllll, how about here instead?"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Sometimes I sort of miss the days of the First Doctor where he literally had no clue what he was doing and just ended up in a completely random point in space and time every time he activated it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Bicyclops posted:

Sometimes I sort of miss the days of the First Doctor where he literally had no clue what he was doing and just ended up in a completely random point in space and time every time he activated it.

Which is ironic, because Hartnell knew what every goddamn thing on that console was 'supposed' to do.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

AndyElusive posted:

Well we all know the TARDIS takes him where he needs to be. So anytime the Doctor landed somewhere or somewhen unintended it was for the better. Anytime he landed with pin point accuracy it was just the TARDIS saying, "yes, I agree let's go there" rather than "weeeeellllll, how about here instead?"

Yeah, I also see it as the Doctor generally being able to control the TARDIS properly but sometimes she knows he's needed right at the next planet over. Or a century prior to when he intended.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

CobiWann posted:

Eight is the weary burned out manager who once had a dream of playing music and snogging redheads.

I dunno, in the topsy-turvy world of heavy rock, having a good solid piece of wood in your hand is often useful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2-5LAe_x_0

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Patrick, no. :ohdear:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Meanwhile, in the German Spy Museum in Berlin...

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Our sets look amazing!

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
But that "warning" graphic was post and not one of mine, christ.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That's a rather big life form to detect so late!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Poor Pete. Was good while he lasted.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

echoplex posted:

Our sets look amazing!

They really do, the costuming is awesome too.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

I wish the trailer mentioned the children so I could have prepared myself mentally for this.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

The CGI whalefish is... Well, let's say standard BBC quality.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ahhh, the giant alien poop factory. The backbone of the British Empire.

SiKboy posted:

The CGI whalefish is... Well, let's say standard BBC quality.

Haha, that's why I concentrate on the sets/costuming :)

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
FUCKING BATMAN I FUCKING HATE YOU
No poo poo!

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Please tell me there will be a gif of that guy falling in the ice.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That was solid, nothing groundbreaking but a fun watch.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
I'm an easy mark but gently caress it I loved the knocking

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
FUCKING BATMAN I FUCKING HATE YOU
I thought that was a very strong episode, solid writing and visually very nice

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

J33uk posted:

I'm an easy mark but gently caress it I loved the knocking

So it's pretty definitely wilf in the vault, right?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Didn't blow me away but it certainly wasn't bad. I thought it looked very nice.

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Echoing pretty much everyone. It was decent, fun episode. I still haven't wanted to throw my phone/TV out if the, which is a record for recent Who.

Also didn't expect the black Jesus line, but I'm good with it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/doctor-who---series-10-special-offer-week-3

This is just happening every week for the whole season, isn't it?

Interesting choice to include one of the old Companion Chronicles that doesn't have a download available.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
I think you can really see a new lease of life in Peter, because he feeds off Pearl so well. Gutting there's only going to be 1 series of them together.

For the most part I never read the cast lists, so seeing who's in what is either a surprise when I go to the floor or when I see the final episode. I had no idea Nathan Barley was in this.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJQUhzuh5oI

The Aftershow, for those who care

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e0LA9U6SGA

And the preview, with yet another creepy old house hiding dark secrets

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Apr 29, 2017

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Don't feel so bad about our australian Whovians programme anymore.

Is that you getting a shoutout at the end echoplex? if so that's pretty cool. Your work is awesome.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

He's adorable

I giggled for a good two minutes

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

That was solid, nothing groundbreaking but a fun watch.

Agreed.

The fish was basically Nibbler from Futurama's big brother, though.

Also, see how many details from the episode you recognize in this painting, titled Frost Fair of 1814 (yes it was real):

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

BSam posted:

Is that you getting a shoutout at the end echoplex? if so that's pretty cool.

Yeah. Was amused by them using my twitter page featuring the Starbug interior and dogs, which feels like an accurate summation of my life.

Carbon dioxide posted:

Frost Fair of 1814 (yes it was real):

The bridge at the start of the ep was actually a recreation of a bridge over the Thames that no longer exists, and there's only a few etchings of it in existence. We had to dial it back a bit/lot (the section we made is about 1/3rd scale and not as curved), but, still. Our Production Designer knows everything about architecture past. He has books he gives us for reference which are legit 1850s first editions with architectural drawings to copy. A lot didn't make the edit, but we did recreate a lot of stuff from the real Frost Fair - gingerbread wrapping, the souvenir mugs, the commemorative prints etc.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I'm loving all the neckbeards complain for about how SJWs have infiltrated the once proud uncucked Doctor Who, when the second story ever had literal space nazis.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Now that, that was about something.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

TinTower posted:

I'm loving all the neckbeards complain for about how SJWs have infiltrated the once proud uncucked Doctor Who, when the second story ever had literal space nazis.

Tbf, punching a Dalek is probably a bad idea; you could break your fist.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
"The Thals should have just sat down and talked with Davros! :qq:"

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
drat BBC America didn't even put the end credits for DW in a sidebar. Just jumped right into Class. Someone call Equity!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Entertaining enough. Great series so far.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

3 episodes in and this is already Capaldi's best season. It's cruel that this is his last but I'm enjoying every minute of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Still need to do a rewatch but on first viewing I'm very pleased that Doctor Who took a definitive stance of being pro-punching out racists.

Also Capaldi's speech to said racist a little later on was really good.

• Locked thread