Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

Luckily it rained for the last 2 days, just gotta make it till Sunday then it's going in my brothers garage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Scott808 posted:

I don't disagree with this either. Even using plain water and putting fine scratches in the paint is going to be better than letting bird poo poo sit on the fresh paint. If you just get one of those blue shop paper towels and soak it and let it sit for a minute or two usually the bird poo poo softens up enough so that it can simply be rinsed off.
That's generally how I've seen people advise to deal with bird poo poo anyway. Soak a paper towel in water, let it rest on the area for a couple minutes, then fold the paper to get to a clean area and wipe it away. I've done it that way many times and it works. If you don't rub at it, it probably won't make any fine scratches, either.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I was just out (the neighbors must think I'm crazy) removing bird poo poo using Meguiar's D114. Really amazing product. 128:1 dilution, sprayed it on and the bird poo poo just lifted off like nothing.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
The paint on my integra is a decent medium grey-blue with very fine metal flake. Had enough free time after a quick wash to start with the clay and gently caress is the quarter panel I got to smooth. I can't wait to get the time to do the whole car and properly wax the thing, it's gonna be gorgeous.

Megs ultimate compound is a hell of a thing for a quick headlight/taillight job as well.

SeaGoatSupreme fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Apr 2, 2017

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Can anyone give a recommendation for a steam cleaner in the ~$100 area? I want to clean my (cloth) seats and carpets.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

The car I just bought has a really nice set of alloy wheels that have a couple of spots where they have corroded a fair bit. I took them to a wheel renovation company who told me that they are diamond cut and that if they restore them to be exactly like they are now, the corrosion might reappear in as little as a few weeks. They recommended I just have them painted instead. Is this actually true or are they talking out of their asses?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Grakkus posted:

The car I just bought has a really nice set of alloy wheels that have a couple of spots where they have corroded a fair bit. I took them to a wheel renovation company who told me that they are diamond cut and that if they restore them to be exactly like they are now, the corrosion might reappear in as little as a few weeks. They recommended I just have them painted instead. Is this actually true or are they talking out of their asses?

rear end talking. The only reason it would appear again that quickly would be if they didn't clearcoat after refinishing.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Seminal Flu posted:

rear end talking. The only reason it would appear again that quickly would be if they didn't clearcoat after refinishing.

Thanks! I'll find someone else to do it then.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Clean them thoroughly and put some wheel sealer on there, my friend used the Sonax aerosol one on his new wheels and any gunk just rinses off with water.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
The only way to repair corrosion afaik, is to sand out the effected area up to 2000, then buff.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

always be closing posted:

The only way to repair corrosion afaik, is to sand out the effected area up to 2000, then buff.
Corrosion is a reaction of the metal, or alloy, to something in the environment. Usually oxygen/water. You can't get rid of it by cleaning it with water and chemicals. But as always be closing said, sanding, wire wheeling, etc will get rid of it. Once the corrosion is removed, if you leave the bare, cleaned metal it will form again. You've got to coat it with something.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Has anyone used spraypaint cans from paintscratch.com? I know the thread generally recommends Dr. Colorchip, but I'm getting new side mirrors and they're the wrong color. The paint on the car is pretty rough, so I'm just looking for something that would be ok for a driver. Basically, will this be ok for a couple years, or is it complete poo poo?

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

So when applying cleaner wax with a DA buffer do you still use a black pad, or do you use something with just a little bit of cut to it?

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Im using hex logic pads, and green is the heaviest polishing pad and the one they recommend for those products. You could Always step down the cut depending on paint condition.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Two questions:

1. Over the winter some salty water dripped on my car and left a spot in the paint. I tried clay baring today and it didn't get it out. What are my options?
2. Is it silly to put a clear bra on a 2 year old car that already has a few rock chips on the front bumper?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
1. Have you tried some automotive water spot removers?

2. Not really. You might be able to do it yourself if there are pre-cut kits for your car.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Just use the Armor All Wash and Wax wipes!

I'm pretty sure I make a :stonk: face every time I see that commercial. Just rub that bird poo poo into the paint!

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

fknlo posted:

Just use the Armor All Wash and Wax wipes!

I'm pretty sure I make a :stonk: face every time I see that commercial. Just rub that bird poo poo into the paint!

All-natural wholly-organic rubbing compound!

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
Armor All knows there target market, anyone that doesn't know anything about car detailing :smug:

Does anyone know of any Rupes Nano alternatives with better pricing ($500.. ouch!)? Manual buffing doesn't count!

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Has anyone used spraypaint cans from paintscratch.com? I know the thread generally recommends Dr. Colorchip, but I'm getting new side mirrors and they're the wrong color. The paint on the car is pretty rough, so I'm just looking for something that would be ok for a driver. Basically, will this be ok for a couple years, or is it complete poo poo?

I haven't used that specific vendor, but I did use Paint World to buy paint for a piece a trim for my old STI a number of years back (a piece in the bumper that hadn't been secured well after a clear bra installation popped out, so I bought a replacement that came unpainted). Important lesson learned for me was the quality difference between the good 3M/Dupont level primers, paints and clears and the value stuff. Don't get the 'Value/Economy' Kits, spring for the good stuff and the etching primer and you'll be surprised at how well it works (quite well IMO). If my Armor All comment is any indication I'm picky as poo poo about details like this, but with patience and a steady hand got a near OEM finish on that piece of bumper trip with paint from a rattle can. If you spend $70 you'll get at least driver quality, likely better.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

BlackMK4 posted:

Can anyone give a recommendation for a steam cleaner in the ~$100 area? I want to clean my (cloth) seats and carpets.

Did you ever find one? I think that's my next big purchase too.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

savesthedayrocks posted:

Did you ever find one? I think that's my next big purchase too.

Harbor Freight. I have one, makes steam, loud AF. Literally the same one you can find at other shops too, or it was when I bought it. Not like "same shape", but same brand color and everything. It was a McCullogh. May not be there any longer.

Once I was using it to steam clean grout in the bathroom and heard a pounding, the fire department was moments from kicking down the door after no response, they had the wrong address.

... it was this one: Home Depot link

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

StormDrain posted:

Harbor Freight. I have one, makes steam, loud AF. Literally the same one you can find at other shops too, or it was when I bought it. Not like "same shape", but same brand color and everything. It was a McCullogh. May not be there any longer.

Once I was using it to steam clean grout in the bathroom and heard a pounding, the fire department was moments from kicking down the door after no response, they had the wrong address.

... it was this one: Home Depot link

I've got this exact one, bought it from HF. It does the job very well. Even used it to get some 40 year old stains out of the headliner.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Are clay sponge thingies anywhere near as good as real clay?

My car has quite a lot of rusted metal particles stuck in the clear coat and I attempted to give clay a go today but it just took so long, I only managed to get the boot and rear bumper done before I gave up.

Vaminn
Jan 29, 2003
CarPro Iron X will get the rail dust off so much easier than claying until your arm falls off. Other brands have something to (chemical guys calls theirs decon something).

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
If you want it 100% decontaminated you'll need to both Iron-X and claying.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Recently got my first DA (Griot's 6 in) and did my first attempt at paint correction. I can tell this is going to be a long journey before I'm comfortable with the process.

No pics because I don't think I really accomplished much. My guess is that I didn't put enough weight on the machine as I was compounding. That's something that doesn't translate well from the videos I've seen. Anyone go to a class or get instruction from someone in person?

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

savesthedayrocks posted:

Recently got my first DA (Griot's 6 in) and did my first attempt at paint correction. I can tell this is going to be a long journey before I'm comfortable with the process.

No pics because I don't think I really accomplished much. My guess is that I didn't put enough weight on the machine as I was compounding. That's something that doesn't translate well from the videos I've seen. Anyone go to a class or get instruction from someone in person?

Honestly whenever ive put anything more than light pressure ive ended with hollograms. You might be better off trying a more aggressive pad and compound first.

Also, Im using chemical guys hex logic pads, which pad should i use across the blend line from a paint repair? Painting a roll pan I welded on and also some holes in the side that I filled.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

savesthedayrocks posted:

One thing you should do is put a line on the backing plate so that you can see when it's stopped (too much pressure). You should also look up if there is any info regarding the hardness of you paint, since hard paint can take ages to correct if you aren't using aggressive enough product / pad.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Vaminn posted:

CarPro Iron X will get the rail dust off so much easier than claying until your arm falls off. Other brands have something to (chemical guys calls theirs decon something).

MrOnBicycle posted:

If you want it 100% decontaminated you'll need to both Iron-X and claying.

I can't get the exact product over here but I've bought an equivalent product and a clay sponge too for good measure! Have to see how it works later this week.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I don't have a garage, and there are 3 giant oak trees dropping pollen bombs on mine and my girlfriend's cars. I hose them off and clean them, and it feels so futile when the car is covered in pollen again directly after. On the upside, at least I don't have allergies, I guess.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

MrOnBicycle posted:

One thing you should do is put a line on the backing plate so that you can see when it's stopped (too much pressure). You should also look up if there is any info regarding the hardness of you paint, since hard paint can take ages to correct if you aren't using aggressive enough product / pad.

Good point about the paint, I need to look into that. The griots' plate that I have has markings, I was just worried about pushing it too hard.

In the end, I went with a non aggressive pad and Meg's ultimate compound so I didn't expect much. Better to start slow then go too far with it.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
An "aggressive" non-wool pad + UC should do a lot of work for you. If you were using a finishing pad with UC, I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't abrasive enough.

I was planning on washing my truck for the first time in almost 18 months of ownership this weekend, but :effort: . It's a 2006 Silverado in white that's semi-beat up. I need to wash, clay, get it all nice and shiny, and seal it. Since it stays outside, I'm not particularly worried about getting it perfect, but maybe next weekend. :x

Phone fucked around with this message at 22:34 on May 21, 2017

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Any recommendations for a headlight restoration kit? Mine are looking a bit foggy.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Some sandpaper, some more sandpaper, even more sandpaper, a cutting compound, a polishing compound, and some UV protectant.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Popete posted:

Any recommendations for a headlight restoration kit? Mine are looking a bit foggy.
Meguiar's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEk8gUrzvw0

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'm a little confused by the OP. Do I need clay and both of the compounds? In the store both of the compounds seemed kind of similar. Clay first, then compounds? Where does wax fit in?

Also can this be done without a polisher?

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

Red_Fred posted:

I'm a little confused by the OP. Do I need clay and both of the compounds? In the store both of the compounds seemed kind of similar. Clay first, then compounds? Where does wax fit in?

Also can this be done without a polisher?

Wash->clay->compound->polish->wax
I guess you could compound and polish by hand but it'd take a good goddam long time. I wouldn't want to do it.

What's a good product for matte vinyl? I washed and waxed my car today and figured I'd try meguiars ultimate black thing whatever it's called. Anyway that was a big mistake, went on splotchy and streaky. I ended up getting it off and everything looks fine now but f that stuff.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

fps_bill posted:

Wash->clay->compound->polish->wax
I guess you could compound and polish by hand but it'd take a good goddam long time. I wouldn't want to do it.

What's a good product for matte vinyl? I washed and waxed my car today and figured I'd try meguiars ultimate black thing whatever it's called. Anyway that was a big mistake, went on splotchy and streaky. I ended up getting it off and everything looks fine now but f that stuff.

Thanks. Any recommendations on which Meguiars wax?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Post everything you intend to buy or use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
To be perfectly honest, if you've not done any detailing before, Meguiar's "smooth surface" box kit which includes clay, detailing spray, and a small bottle of their "cleaner wax" will give you a cheap all-in-one starter (note: you're "meant" to use the detailer spray as clay lube, don't bother. Use regular mildly soapy water, and save the detailer spray for its own task).