Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I had to pause Carnival Magic at "The tiger shot me!" because I was laughing so hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

8one6 posted:

They filmed the entire season in two weeks so it appears they weren't able to do more than a couple of takes on the host segments.

From watching outtakes of the original show, it's clear they could spend half a day just doing one shot because a prop didn't work or someone kept flubbing lines. The DVD for The Sidehackers has 20 minutes of host segment outtakes and half of them are just of the part with the Dr. F Slinky.

I like how the device with the bubbles was used instead of forfeiting the single-camera/long take aspect of the show.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Somehow I'd skipped Beast of Hollow Mountain, so I went back to it today.

Holy poo poo is that an insane movie. Like... I can't even understand how it happened. Although I must say that the dinosaur effects weren't that bad for the time, apparent budget, and general competence of the filmmakers.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Sash! posted:

Somehow I'd skipped Beast of Hollow Mountain, so I went back to it today.

Holy poo poo is that an insane movie. Like... I can't even understand how it happened. Although I must say that the dinosaur effects weren't that bad for the time, apparent budget, and general competence of the filmmakers.

What's bizarre is that the shots of the feet are live-action, yet you have this generic dollar store dino in wide shots. A guy in a suit would have probably been cheaper and more convincing for a change.

At least the shots of the feet allowed them to invoke Earl Sinclair.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
The Loves of Hercules: I thought after Reptilicus and Beast of Hollow Mountain I'd probably seen the worst monster effects this season had to offer, but uhhhh, how 'bout that hydra fight? The movie was hilarious, but I didn't feel like this was a particularly good episode for the riffing or the sketches, and it still feels like they can't figure out how to end a sketch at least 2/3 of the time. It was kind of amusing that over the course of the whole episode there were maybe two or three jokes that drew attention to the obvious regarding Jayne Mansfield. That must have taken an extraordinary amount of willpower.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Rollersnake posted:

It was kind of amusing that over the course of the whole episode there were maybe two or three jokes that drew attention to the obvious regarding Jayne Mansfield. That must have taken an extraordinary amount of willpower.

Her huge acting talent?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

So.my buddy is interviewing the director of star crash on Thursday on his radio show. Any questions you guys have to send him?

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Is just "Akton???" a good enough question?

Like, asked in whatever inflection is most likely to prompt an explanation for Akton.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Not Operator posted:

Is just "Akton???" a good enough question?

Like, asked in whatever inflection is most likely to prompt an explanation for Akton.

Hahahaha. I'll suggest it to him...

I'll also post the link here after.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
Why does going into hyperspace blow your clothes off piece by piece?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Whose idea was it to make the villainous baron's ship a giant hand?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What WOULD a hypothetical sequel have been like?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
"Slam it on a grill and cram it in your face hole" is my current favourite line of both the old and new series.

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

Why does going into hyperspace blow your clothes off piece by piece?

*extremely Tom servo voice* Why wouldn't it?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Chokes McGee posted:

"Slam it on a grill and cram it in your face hole" is my current favourite line of both the old and new series.

*extremely Tom servo voice* Why wouldn't it?

I hate chokes Mcgee new voice

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

bunnyofdoom posted:

So.my buddy is interviewing the director of star crash on Thursday on his radio show. Any questions you guys have to send him?
Ask him if there are any Barbarella connections

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Pollyanna posted:

Holy poo poo, Wizards 2 is garbage.

I love how the first is bad, but at least its sorta watchable. If I was kid and it was on sunday afternoon, i'd watch the poo poo out of it.

You know, the Christmas that Almost Didn't Happen feels like it could have ended with everyone storming Prune's house and beating him to death. It has that level of weirdness and disjointed feel to it.

I am worried I won't be able to hear Kalan's voice on the Flop House without thinking "I'm a widdle baby!"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wizards 2 is really bizarre because the comedy and a lot of the writing feels like it is out of a kids movie but then you have all the busty women wearing very little constantly running around.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

bunnyofdoom posted:

"Had you ever seen a movie before you directed this?"

"Was the script written by a mental patient?"

In all honestly, I would love to know more about the writing/creative process in general. The Italian rip-offs like Starcrash, Pumaman, or Devil Fish are mind-boggling because they're always so nonsensical and there's never any indication as to why.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I think one of my favorite reoccurring jokes during host segments is when a new robot show up and Crow and Tom wreck it. Not just the Zord ones, but the one from Loves of Hercules and the Rolf Robot.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

I think one of my favorite reoccurring jokes during host segments is when a new robot show up and Crow and Tom wreck it. Not just the Zord ones, but the one from Loves of Hercules and the Rolf Robot.

I love it because its often a parody of long running shows awkwardly trying to add new characters everyone ends up hating but the bots just brutally destroy them

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

If they ever have Joel and Mike appear in character they should beat up Jonah similarly.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I just want to know why the Darth Threepio robot had a ridiculous Slim Pickens accent

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

I love it because its often a parody of long running shows awkwardly trying to add new characters everyone ends up hating but the bots just brutally destroy them

Yep, and the one from the Herc episode really gets it off screen.

I'm surprised that At the Earth's Core isn't a Steampunk classic. It's got victorian suits and casual racism.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Put a sock in it, Roy!

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I just want to know why the Darth Threepio robot had a ridiculous Slim Pickens accent

Its like they said in Jurassic Park about Mr. DNA's voice

Kids love cowboys

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Stay away from those Mirelurk eggs!

Wow that is a joke I'd never thought i'd hear. That's one of those jokes that feel like they have to come from a certain writer.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Gol durn, it just do not compute!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

Stay away from those Mirelurk eggs!

Wow that is a joke I'd never thought i'd hear. That's one of those jokes that feel like they have to come from a certain writer.

It's really cool to hear jokes about The Wire and They Might Be Giants and Fallout right along with jokes about The Beatles and old commercials. When Reptilicus popped up and someone riffed "Photobomb!" I knew that they were going to use contemporary references at the right time without losing some of the obscure, pop culture junkie reference the show always employed.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

I love how the first is bad, but at least its sorta watchable. If I was kid and it was on sunday afternoon, i'd watch the poo poo out of it.

You know, the Christmas that Almost Didn't Happen feels like it could have ended with everyone storming Prune's house and beating him to death. It has that level of weirdness and disjointed feel to it.

I am worried I won't be able to hear Kalan's voice on the Flop House without thinking "I'm a widdle baby!"
Just think about him with an appletini in one hand saying "Do you cats... like to party?"

Bicyclops posted:

It's really cool to hear jokes about The Wire and They Might Be Giants and Fallout right along with jokes about The Beatles and old commercials. When Reptilicus popped up and someone riffed "Photobomb!" I knew that they were going to use contemporary references at the right time without losing some of the obscure, pop culture junkie reference the show always employed.

The kid in the Christmas one whistling with the branch slung over his shoulder and then Jonah yelling "Omar comin'!" made me grin like a doofus.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

It's also good to hear them trot out riffs and lines from old seasons, like "Watch out for snakes!" and "This is where the fish lives!"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

The kid in the Christmas one whistling with the branch slung over his shoulder and then Jonah yelling "Omar comin'!" made me grin like a doofus.

i think the delivery and timing make that the funniest riff in the revival. It's just so deadpan.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

i think the delivery and timing make that the funniest riff in the revival. It's just so deadpan.

Honestly, it's not even my favourite from that episode (that would be the Weird Science one, because it was impeccably timed)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Gaz-L posted:

Just think about him with an appletini in one hand saying "Do you cats... like to party?"

Hah, true, but then I think about his heavage.

And I thought that was from the Wire.

Bicyclops posted:

That is very true. I'm sure there's some old nerds bitching about it, but it works so well. They'll never not do jokes about Nixon.

I can't help but think the Mayhars are rebuilds of Gyros costumes.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Apr 30, 2017

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Bicyclops posted:

At the start of the Christmas one they reference Hark, A Vagrant in regards to the open animation.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I appreciated it when I caught a subtle Firesign Theater nod. There were quite a few on the old show but it's sort of an inside thing still.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I could really go for some Hitler Coffee right now.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

muscles like this! posted:

At the start of the Christmas one they reference Hark, A Vagrant in regards to the open animation.

Maxwell Lord posted:

I appreciated it when I caught a subtle Firesign Theater nod. There were quite a few on the old show but it's sort of an inside thing still.

Yeah, like it's not like they just overloaded everything with memes and MMO jokes. There were a ton of Pink Floyd jokes that explicitly referenced the movie version of The Wall that I noticed. I missed the Firesign Theater nod (and now I'm interested in which episode it was), but it's full of cult classic stuff like that.

This revival is so loving good, I am going to be so happy if Netflix gives them a green light.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'm like five minutes into Wizards of the Lost Kingdom...is this a sequel to something or something?

e: oh poo poo is that Truxartis?

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 30, 2017

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'm like five minutes into Wizards of the Lost Kingdom...is this a sequel to something or something?

Nope!

ala Pod People and Cave Dwellers it just has a random different movie at the beginning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Geez, Truxartis is creepier in Lost Kingdom than he was in Deathstalker!