Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Jack the Lad posted:

How many items do inserters move per second?

An assembler belts for green science uses 2 gears and 2 plates per second.

One assembler making gears makes 2 gears per second, which is great, but that requires 4 plates per second. How many inserters are needed to put 4 plates per second into an assembler?
First, you'll want to check the crafting speed of the assembler you're using. 1 is 50% (takes twice as long), 2 is 75% and 3 is 1.25%, plus whatever modules you're using, if any. Then check your bonuses and see the stack bonus for inserters. (The stack inserter increase research also increases the other inserters at certain points.) Then check out this .14 cheat sheets album on imgur, realize that it's all a pain in the rear end to figure out individually for every crafted recipe and just use fast inserters for everything once they're automated unless they're too slow, then use stack inserters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Automate fast inserters as quickly as possible and replace all your normal ones with fast too, and then dump them into the fast inserter factory.

Fast inserters eat less power, because while they have a higher wattage, they spend far more time idle.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Jack the Lad posted:

How do the underground belts help here? I'm not very good at this game.

Just FYI you don't actually need the underground belts until you get towards the end of the smelter column. Try it with a normal belt, and then watch the smelters when they're working at full steam. If you notice that the final inserters start having issues with unloading, replace the belt in that area with underground belt.

Underground belts work like a container where inserters can unload directly into them, and as long as the belt isn't completely saturated, inserters will always be allowed to drop material off into them.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Just want to mention that once the belt optimizations are in, that won't be necessary anymore. It's unfortunate they haven't made it in yet, but I think the devs are still aiming for .15 and not .16.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I have to say I'm a little annoyed that the yellow science recipe takes 14 seconds to make but it would takes 7.5 seconds to make the copper wire for the recipie. Why couldn't that be balanced! I'm kind of considering just treating it like it takes 15 seconds to make the receipie and let a factory sit idle for a half second at a time waiting for copper wire.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Advice please. I've made a nuclear fuel mod, but I'm not sure if it's worth releasing or not.

To summarise, it replaces the boring-rear end Kovarex Enrichment Process with a few extra recipes.
The fuel cycle begins as normal, separating uranium into U-235, combining that with 19 U-238 to make 10 uranium fuel. Reprocessing now has a chance (currently 25%) of yielding small amounts of plutonium.
1 Pu + 9 U-238 ("MOX"), yields 10 uranium fuel, a significant improvement in efficiency. However, reprocessing doesn't yield enough Pu to sustain this.
To get more Pu, you craft breeder fuel instead: 1 Pu + 19 U-238 to make 10 breeder fuel, but this fuel only burns half as long (4 GJ per instead of 8). However, when spent breeder fuel is reprocessed, it yields way more Pu (4 Pu per 10 spent breeder cells) than you need to recreate the fuel.

In short, if you just keep breeding you'll burn through U-238 twice as fast and have a Pu surplus, but without the Kovarex process, using only the regular fuel means you'll run low on U-235 or Pu, and run a U-238 surplus. Using a properly balanced MOX + breeder cycle should yield approx 1.5x as much power from the same U-238 input and leave no surplus.

Also, plutonium can thus only be produced by having working reactors, which is an interesting way to gate nuclear weapon availability - this mod makes the atomic warheads require Pu instead of 30 U-235.

After reading that, is anyone interested in playing this? I'm not sure it's a compelling enough change over the new vanilla.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Yes I'd play that, I think the korevax process is kinda dumb. The other thing I miss is having to use sulfuric acid and slurry in the processing. That was a nice touch rather than just the new centerfuges

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

With Side Inserters you can make ridiculously compact smelting areas.

e: With each smelter affected by 6 beacons with Speed III (+300% speed total) you need a total of 18 smelters to saturate a blue belt.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Apr 29, 2017

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Jack the Lad posted:

Where can I find ratios for ore belts to smelters to output belts etc?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsBzdqyrvVU

Might help. Don't know if anything relevant changed in the current version though.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
Spent a good few hours today tooling around making blueprints out of pieces of my post-launch factory so I can plan better next time - basic units for the three circuits - 3 prints for science - red/green, blue/mil, grape/lemon, and stamps for cracking, plastics, and a two tier oil setup that starts at 5 refineries with a tank each for heavy/light/petro, then you just place the tier 2 print over the 5 existing refineries which adds 5 more.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Isn't it better to offset your beacons compared to your smelters? That way each beacon covers 4 smelters on each side instead of 3.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Jabor posted:

Isn't it better to offset your beacons compared to your smelters? That way each beacon covers 4 smelters on each side instead of 3.
:doh: You're right. Do it that way and you get up to +400% speed and need 14 furnaces to saturate a blue belt.

Go balls out with all speed modules you need 12, but 24 beacons at 480kW each plus 12 furnaces at 1.4MW each will consume almost 30MW.

If you put your copper smelter next to your iron smelter you'll need 8 fewer beacons in total though.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Power is okay, friend. A 2x2 grid of reactors can produce 480 MW.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Ugh I hate blue circuits, post your favorite blue circuit layouts itt.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Powers posted:

Power is okay, friend. A 2x2 grid of reactors can produce 480 MW.

Yeah, I'm very glad there's something beyond solar/steam now. Solar is free power and all, but having to pave 80% of the planet twice gets annoying.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I suppose my lesson from this run is to get oil started sooner, and don't try to get ahead of myself with factory planning. Time to start a new save, I think.

One day I'll launch a rocket.

Edit: I'm thinking of not doing a peaceful run for once, but I hate feeling pressured by the biters.

Solumin fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 29, 2017

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
There's some memory leak thing associated with flamethrowers. Every time I go on a forest burning spree now, my frame rate craters until I restart my game.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

FISHMANPET posted:

Ugh I hate blue circuits, post your favorite blue circuit layouts itt.

This served me well last game.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
I struggle to run 4 blue chip factories in 0.15. My green chip section is consuming an entire iron belt and it's still not enough green chips for them.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

The Saddest Robot posted:

I struggle to run 4 blue chip factories in 0.15. My green chip section is consuming an entire iron belt and it's still not enough green chips for them.

I built up to the final tier of science before space and then re-started specifically to build a factory with more room for circuit production. In my new factory I am feeding two thirds of my copper and a quarter of my iron throughput into making circuits and I'm not even close to producing enough reds to steadily make electric furnaces and blue chips for science as well as tier 3 modules.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
How do people feed their smelters? I am unable to keep them all busy with lots of miners running. I suspect it is due to all the splinters I use, but I can figure a better way to get the ore to the smelting area.

Also, how are you automating red belts and blue belts with their splinters and underground belts? New recipes are a bit confusing

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Dirk Pitt posted:

How do people feed their smelters? I am unable to keep them all busy with lots of miners running. I suspect it is due to all the splinters I use, but I can figure a better way to get the ore to the smelting area.

Also, how are you automating red belts and blue belts with their splinters and underground belts? New recipes are a bit confusing

Using yellow belts for ease of example:

It takes 47 stone furnaces to fully saturate a yellow belt. I round up to 48 since it's an even number and whop 24 furnaces on each side of the yellow belt.

This is the furnace layout I have. Furnaces offload into a central belt from both sides. I have one fully saturated ore line, and one half-loaded coal line.

This image shows that 26 miners are needed to fully saturate a yellow belt with ore. So for each 48-long smelting line, I dedicate 26 miners to feeding it. I used to just spam ore fields with so many miners and have them all exit through one or two output belts, but it was a nightmare balancing so each of my furnaces got fed evenly. So now, I just plop 26 belts down, and link that to one furnace line (I use a splitter to feed each side and it works perfectly).

As for automating red and blue belts: for red belts, I use the Foreman tool to find the perfect ratio. I usually have 8 assemblers making gears, and two assemblers making yellow belts, then one of each for yellow / red splitters / belts / underground belts. For blue belts, I don't bother automating them until I have logistic bots up and running.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Apr 29, 2017

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Dirk Pitt posted:

As long as you have miners stalling because the belt is full, it's probably because you're using splitters.

The only solution is to use faster belts before the split (I think the splitter has to be faster too), or to run multiple slower belts in parallel.

Dirk Pitt posted:

I don't think the belt recipes changed for vanilla 0.15.

This video shows a pretty clean way of automating them though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSfVqIkVEnI

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Using fast belts and a slow splitter will bottleneck it. Splitters can only split so fast, so using a yellow splitter with red belts will be pointless.

I'm keeping my initial factory relatively clean, but once I get logistic bots automated, I'm heading off somewhere nice and flat to set up a new megafactory. My starting base is getting the job done, but it's far too cramped.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Apr 29, 2017

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Loopoo posted:

Using fast belts and a slow splitter will bottleneck it. Splitters can only split so fast, so using a yellow splitter with red belts will be pointless.

Or if you want to downgrade, anything feeding a yellow spitter will fill a yellow belt, anything feeding a red will feed a red belt, and two reds feeding a blue can feed one blue belt.

Other than that the splitter has to match the color of the rest.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Is there any reason not to use the fastest belt you have available, other than fancy belt overlapping tricks?

Like I get that if you only want one assembler making some niche item you hardly use, you don't really need to have blue belts for it, but it's not going to actually reduce productivity, is it?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Blue belts gently caress with my perfect ratios so I only use them for buses or similar things where bandwidth matters and ratios do not. I use reds on all my furnaces and most assembler areas.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

RyokoTK posted:

Is there any reason not to use the fastest belt you have available, other than fancy belt overlapping tricks?

Like I get that if you only want one assembler making some niche item you hardly use, you don't really need to have blue belts for it, but it's not going to actually reduce productivity, is it?

Early game, you gotta choose carefully what gets red belts vs yellow. But late game, having everything using the fastest belts is fine imho. If you've got a condition set where your very niche item stops producing at 50 units, it won't reduce productivity. It'll just get the condition set faster.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

RyokoTK posted:

There are only two reasons I can think of. One is that yellow inserters actually can't move fast enough to pick up something flying by on a blue belt, so if you've got old inserters and can't be bothered to upgrade them too. The other reason is just to save on materials when higher belt speed is not actually necessary. Blue belts really cost a shitload of iron

Ultimately this just means I don't bother upgrading old belts if it's not necessary, but when I build new stuff I almost always use the best belts I've got simply because I'm not gonna waste inventory space carrying around all those different belt types

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

RyokoTK posted:

Yellow are most efficient in material, blue in density. You can tie up a ridiculous amount of raw material in blue belts when you first get them without needing them strictly.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Truga posted:

Blue belts gently caress with my perfect ratios so I only use them for buses or similar things where bandwidth matters and ratios do not. I use reds on all my furnaces and most assembler areas.

How can a faster belt possibly mess with a ratio? It doesn't change the number of things going in or out of the machines...

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

super fart shooter posted:

Blue belts really cost a shitload of iron

I've been playing for roughly 300 hours across various starts, and I still haven't gotten to the point where blue belts are to be expected universally.

I've only used them at the ore unloading/bussing stage of a rudimentary rail network.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I really wish the devs added a chainsaw that lets you chop down trees in a 3-tile-width ahead of you. I'm laying down rail because FARL isn't updated yet, and going through forests is so loving annoying. A 5 minute track job turns into a 20 minute deforestation.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Maybe it's a play style thing then. When I'm ready to begin manufacturing blue belts I usually just tear down/reconfigure my red belt setup, so I don't switch until I can afford to mass produce them. It's also about the time that I set up an offsite facility with a couple hundred gear assemblers, and in .14 there wasn't a big need for gears in the late game aside from belts.

So it seems my offsite production is going to become several hundred assemblers because the .15 recipes are so drat gear thirsty.

e: ^^ just use grenades. You should have a bunch of assemblers for them anyway for gray tech.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

RyokoTK posted:

Burner inserters on your boilers are too slow for anything faster moving than yellow

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Someone earlier in the thread made the claim that fast inserters "use less power" because they move faster and stay idle more often, but I'm not sure that's true -- fast inserters have an active energy consumption of 46 vs the inserter's 13, more than 3 times as much, but they only move "more than twice as fast".

If an inserter is fast enough for the machine once you get the stack size upgrades, it would thus not be worth replacing. By the same reasoning, it would also not be worth replacing 2 basic inserters with a single fast one.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Do the new mining drill productivity improvements work basically the same way as productivity modules, giving a free ore once you hit a certain amount produced? If so that would mean that the same drills output ore faster as you get deeper into the tech tree.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Loopoo posted:

I really wish the devs added a chainsaw that lets you chop down trees in a 3-tile-width ahead of you. I'm laying down rail because FARL isn't updated yet, and going through forests is so loving annoying. A 5 minute track job turns into a 20 minute deforestation.

Grenades have a pretty good radius and do over half of a tree's health.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

vOv posted:

Grenades have a pretty good radius and do over half of a tree's health.

No upgrade is three grenades/tree. But the first upgrade you reach the two grenade/tree threshold. And then I think around grenade damage 4 you oneshot them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

super fart shooter posted:

How can a faster belt possibly mess with a ratio? It doesn't change the number of things going in or out of the machines...

Needs more smelters/assemblers to saturate belts, my perfect 12/24/48 ratios!!!