Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

See, I'd believe that if I hadn't heard about Thorgy's after-show at a bar when she said she'd had another outfit prepared, but the producers encouraged her to stick with the kimono.

I'd also believe that if I hadn't seen Chi Chi Devayne pull out a fairly good Madonna in the workroom. And Madonna has plenty of casual looks that are iconic to looks towards. The song they covered in this episode, Music, had Madonna in a cowboy hat and blue jeans, Madonna in Lucky Star, or hell, pull a Valentina and do a very good nude illusion for the Sex artwork. It's not rocket science.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedbutterfly
Jan 20, 2007
http://www.logotv.com/video-clips/vm3n16/rupauls-drag-race-madonna-runway-looks

If I am hearing this correctly, they were told to bring backup Madonna looks.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
I can understand two Material Girls. That's a pretty iconic look and a well-known video. I don't understand two random-rear end red carpet looks. How??

Also I'm still annoyed that no one's done Like a Virgin. That's such a good one!!

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Man, after seeing Trinity's and Shea's level of detail, had I been Nina or Peppermint, I would have switched, ESPECIALLY after seeing how expensive both of the other girls' looks turned out. Shea and Trinity were completely right sticking to what they had.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Yodzilla posted:

That was super clever and it's a shame it didn't even get a mention during judging.

I'm super bummed about it, I don't know how Valentina was able to make her look work but she did.

twistedbutterfly posted:

http://www.logotv.com/video-clips/vm3n16/rupauls-drag-race-madonna-runway-looks

If I am hearing this correctly, they were told to bring backup Madonna looks.

Even the backups failed? Hmm. Worth to remember that Thorgy had a backup all ready to go on the Night of 1000 Kimonos and production told her to wear the kimono anyway for maximum drama.

EDIT: Beaten :P

Combed Thunderclap fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Apr 29, 2017

Lipumira
May 6, 2007

FIRE!

shadow puppet of a posted:

Forgive me thread for not giving up on this, but...

I don't get how the four kimonos are a different situation in terms of the competitive choices. As 1 of the 4 kimono's you'd be loving up tactically to drop everything and turn to the fabric wall to create a whole new look within a very narrow category, from scratch, with a hard reality-show time limit, and then thinkup and paint new makeup to match, on a show where you are not at all given extra points for tacking a higher degree of difficulty than a contestant that just zipped into their pre-planned idea. The judging panel only cares about execution, perfecting your own makeup and detail on your original Madonna kimono is the least risky and smartest move by far. The competition format does not reward spontaneous creativity if its not also executed to high standards.

In my opinion the lack of creativity is before you get to the show. If you know there's a Madonna themed challenge, then don't choose the obvious thing (like the kimono). I agree with you that once you're in the workroom you have a hard decision to make. As Tati would say: Choices.

It's already been pointed out that they were told to bring back ups and that the producers have been known to interfere so I suppose some of that has to be forgiven for manufactured drama.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Their backups could have also been duplicates.

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

Pinwiz11 posted:

Their backups could have also been duplicates.

...For a brief moment, I thought "Why would someone bring 2 kimonos?"

So I guess it's comforting to know that I'm a moron.

Valentina rocked, as usual, though I feel like once she ran out of "I don't win! :cry:" jokes, she had nothing. Sasha, however, finally won me over. Her Dietrich was amazing, and her runway look was, in my opinion, the best Madonna out of both seasons. Between her and Alexis, I feel like Sasha should have won, and Alexis only got it because she made Ru laugh with a passable Liza.

Also, unpopular opinion, I was cracking up at Sasha's Judith Butler. But I have years of cultural critical theory under my belt, so v:v:v.

Easy Salmon Recipe fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Apr 30, 2017

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I really didn't get all the praise for Sasha's Marlene Dietrich. It seemed really bland, though the standard for Snatch Game is "doesn't crash horribly." I felt it was only Farrah's Gigi, Peppermint as Nene, and CLF as Sofia Vergara that were true failures. Everyone else was at least decent though I'd say there weren't as many standouts as past seasons.

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

Pellisworth posted:

I really didn't get all the praise for Sasha's Marlene Dietrich. It seemed really bland, though the standard for Snatch Game is "doesn't crash horribly." I felt it was only Farrah's Gigi, Peppermint as Nene, and CLF as Sofia Vergara that were true failures. Everyone else was at least decent though I'd say there weren't as many standouts as past seasons.

I feel like it was exceptionally dry, which is something I love in humor. A lot of people go WAY over the top in their performance, and that's what we expect. I think Ben probably had a more palatable level of dryness to her Dame Maggie Smith, and I can see why that was a more popular character, I absolutely lost it at her cold, Teutonic flirting.

Easy Salmon Recipe fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Apr 30, 2017

impossiboobs
Oct 2, 2006

There are some extra clips on Logo that do more in depth with the duplicates. Basically no one wanted to be the one to change, because they thought it'd turn into a "who wore it better" and they would be the better of the two.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Easy Salmon Recipe posted:

...For a brief moment, I thought "Why would someone bring 2 kimonos?"

One is casual, one is formal. :v:

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
I feel incredibly spoiled because the first snatch game I ever watched was with Bianca's Judge Judy and Ben's Maggie Smith. They set the bar incredibly high.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Miz Kriss posted:

I feel incredibly spoiled because the first snatch game I ever watched was with Bianca's Judge Judy and Ben's Maggie Smith. They set the bar incredibly high.

Season six was probably the best snatch game they've ever had. Bianca and Adore would have been strong favorites to win in any other season and Joslyn, Darriene and maybe even Milk would have placed high.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

dude789 posted:

Season six was probably the best snatch game they've ever had. Bianca and Adore would have been strong favorites to win in any other season and Joslyn, Darriene and maybe even Milk would have placed high.

Courtney's Drescher was better than Milk's Child. Not that either of them were good.

What's the worst overall Snatch Game? I lean towards season 3; the top players weren't great and the bottoms were bland so it didn't even have a train wreck element for entertainment.

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe
Can we please have a gif of Peppermint MC Hammering the stage?

vaginadeathgrip
Jun 18, 2003

all them bitches can't handle my sassy ass mouth

Combed Thunderclap posted:

I'm super bummed about it, I don't know how Valentina was able to make her look work but she did.

Probably double sided tape, a magical tool in the wardrobe world.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Denis O'Hare looks like he's auditioning to be the singer of Cake. And I wish someone said the gay cat coughed up a Truvada.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

vaginadeathgrip posted:

Probably double sided tape, a magical tool in the wardrobe world.

I was thinking more along the lines of "how did she make two black boxes and nothing else into a truly stunning and unique look that didn't scream basic after years of queens giving us nude illusion" but this is also true!

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Valentina bronzed and contoured her whole body which definitely helped to make it look a lot less cheap.

And of course her hair + makeup are as on point as ever

e:

Bina posted:

Not quite what you asked but

e2: vv :smuggo:

blizzardvizard fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Apr 30, 2017

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

You know, I thought that too! But then I remembered Carmen Carrera and Violet Chachki gave great "nude illusion" too. They just have amazing bodies that apparently can tuck like nobody's business.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Bina posted:

I don't have that, but is this an acceptable substitute?

EDIT: B I C T H

Fine, here's Kennedy at DragCon wearing her most iconic look:

Not pictured: Crocs

gandlethorpe fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Apr 30, 2017

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

garthoneeye posted:

Courtney's Drescher was better than Milk's Child. Not that either of them were good.

What's the worst overall Snatch Game? I lean towards season 3; the top players weren't great and the bottoms were bland so it didn't even have a train wreck element for entertainment.

I'd give that to Season 4. Even though it had Chad giving us an amazing Cher, everyone else was either forgettable or, if you're judging everyone else in the bottom row, painful to see. That was the one with the weird narcoleptic, tweeking Beyonce, Snooki-want-smush-smush, and horribly boring Lady Gaga interactions.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Pan Dulce posted:

I'd give that to Season 4. Even though it had Chad giving us an amazing Cher, everyone else was either forgettable or, if you're judging everyone else in the bottom row, painful to see. That was the one with the weird narcoleptic, tweeking Beyonce, Snooki-want-smush-smush, and horribly boring Lady Gaga interactions.

The train wreck of a front row is why that SG is so great, though.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.

Pan Dulce posted:

It also had Willam and her cut out (which got moved to untucked cause drama is way more important) and Sharon's Michelle Visage (which was entertaining mostly because of her interactions with Ru).

I feel like the worst snatch game ever was season 8's. Even Bob pulling double the weight couldn't save that train wreck

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

After it aired Peppermint tweeted "Please let me very clear. I am against gun violence in every way possible! I had to pull out all the stops tonight and I love my girl ❤🏁" which is just so endearing to me. If she doesn't make top 3 she'll have my Miss Congeniality vote for sure.

Peppermint was also recently interviewed in HuffPo.

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

Combed Thunderclap posted:

I was thinking more along the lines of "how did she make two black boxes and nothing else into a truly stunning and unique look that didn't scream basic after years of queens giving us nude illusion" but this is also true!

Body, confidence, and poise, all in great measure.

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

Why oh why does Aja never have a look that fits her? All her outfits are so badly tailored.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Man, Nina's a bitch.

http://www.logotv.com/video-clips/jvnpie/rupauls-drag-race-nina-accuses-aja?fb_ref=share_web

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
am i the only one unimpressed by peppermint's lip sync? half of it looked like a linebacker celebrating a touchdown home run

that said im still so glad to see clf go home

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.
I can't wait for Raja to boot the gently caress out of Aja's bootleg Who's That Girl look - if not for the cheap dress, then for the wig, which was way off. Oh Aja.

This Madonna challenge should never be done again.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

big black turnout posted:

am i the only one unimpressed by peppermint's lip sync? half of it looked like a linebacker celebrating a touchdown home run

I wasn't wowed by it, but the execution seemed good, and it was an interesting tactic. It was weird and goofy, but it was different enough that I think it would have taken the wind out of the sails of any more straight-faced performance. Like, imagine trying to serve sex pot next to that routine.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Peppermint was just constantly putting out energy energy energy and made it work, instead of just throwing in the robot during a dance break for the gently caress of it like past queens (who were usually then justly eliminated).

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I am rapidly getting on Shea's bandwagon.

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

:h: be good and try hard! :h:

Flyinglemur posted:

She's flawless. Have either she or Valentina made a single misstep in the entire competition? Every challenge, every runway, they've either excelled or led the middle of the pack.

they're perfect, they're beautiful, they look like models 😍

Has anyone been keeping up with the bonus clips on the logotv site? There have been really good ones every single episode. This week we had a cut drama scene where Nina accused Aja of stealing her makeup... it was good and made me like them both even more!

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Flyinglemur posted:

I kinda want to be Shea when I grow up.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Shea was really fun on Willam's latest Paint Me Bitch

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Shea has this great ability to tell it like it is without sounding like she's lecturing someone. There's a really fine line and she's got it. I loving loved her telling Nina that she's done telling her to be confident in herself and that next time she's gonna whoop her rear end.

Also, thinking on it, there are likely to be some fierce LSFYLs in the remainder of the show. I thought Peppermint, Aja, Trinity, and Farrah all had really strong performances. I don't know that I'd put Farrah in the same league as the other 3, but she put on a good performance without any desperation splits or crawling on the floor. Being able to jump and drop into a split is impressive, but timing your motions to the song are sooooo important. That was the standout in the last battle. Peppermint was on time and Cynthia felt like her dance was independent from the music.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
If Trinity gets bottom 2 again, it's gotta be versus Peppermint, and vice versa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Jolo posted:

I don't know that I'd put Farrah in the same league as the other 3, but she put on a good performance without any desperation splits or crawling on the floor.

I guess I'd say Farrah's lip sync didn't seem desperate in a bad way or in a good way. Watching it again just now, I like it better than I did the first time, but something seems off. Maybe it's concentration I'm seeing on her face, or maybe she's just not that expressive, but whatever it is, it made the overall performance feel kind of low-energy.

• Locked thread