Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

LordHippoman posted:

: Feena clearly has a type.

: It’s called “bad taste”, Sir Jagen.

:vince:

Way to put Navbarbler on blast. Of course, given that Feena treats a male MU similarly, it's also a pretty solid indirect self-own on Steve's part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I found the smugsphere, look :smug:

Man. Getting a pair of boots in a map like this is such a kick in the pants. Feena's pretty great, though. I wonder if she was about to offer to style Michalis' hair for him, too :allears:

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

LordHippoman posted:

Well, we’ll worry about them later. Linde seems to think she’s that other guy, but I don’t see any Aethers coming from her.

She's trying, give her a break

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Camel Pimp posted:

well I know what I'm manipping tonight

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

LordHippoman posted:

: Quiet, Chris.

:argh:

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

LordHippoman posted:

Etzel forgot to bring a cool Tome and thus has the lowest damage on the team, despite his high Magic stat, but his Heal staff is super useful, and he’s tanky enough to eat a hit or two where the others can’t.

Actually, I think you'll find that blizzards are in fact very cool. :v:

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Here's a bunch of cool items that are in the corner of the map and do absolutely nothing to help you
Are they just there for...score? These maps have scores right

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

rannum posted:

Here's a bunch of cool items that are in the corner of the map and do absolutely nothing to help you
Are they just there for...score? These maps have scores right

Im not sure if this iteration does, but the radio play maps im pretty sure these remake did

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

AradoBalanga posted:

This map should probably have been titled "Wind and Thunder (featuring Michalis from the School of gently caress Your Everything)". That said, it's a joy to see that the mighty Michalis is horribly weak to sass.

He has to be weak to something, I guess. Maybe that's what the low Luck represents.

EclecticTastes posted:

:vince:

Way to put Navbarbler on blast.

Steve has only become more cynical over the years, when he stopped returning her carrier pigeons, she realized maybe he was kind of a lovely friend.

vilkacis posted:

I found the smugsphere, look :smug:

I was super tempted to make a version of the Fire Emblem with five :smug: gems and a :smuggo: in the center, but I already did that Marth picture at the top and this isn't one of those fancy "good" LPs.

Camel Pimp posted:

I just watched someone spend 130 stockpiled Heroes Orbs trying for an Ike and never getting one, so this is getting sent to him immediately.

FoolyCharged posted:

Im not sure if this iteration does, but the radio play maps im pretty sure these remake did

These maps do not have scores, it's only the BS Fire Emblem maps that do. There are no higher difficulties either, so Michalis Stomp is always just as ridiculous as shown. I seriously don't get the Shaver. Or the Boots. Or like, any of it.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

LordHippoman posted:

I just watched someone spend 130 stockpiled Heroes Orbs trying for an Ike and never getting one, so this is getting sent to him immediately.

This was basically me, anyway.

I even already have a Linde (but no sources of Aether to put on her).

LifeofaGuardian
Oct 26, 2013

Every part of every human being-even their ugly sides-is beautiful. There is no limit to beauty.

LordHippoman posted:

I was super tempted to make a version of the Fire Emblem with five :smug: gems and a :smuggo: in the center, but I already did that Marth picture at the top and this isn't one of those fancy "good" LPs.

It's not :smuggo:, but I feel like this works just as well.

You're welcome/I'm sorry.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

LifeofaGuardian posted:

Simply beautiful. :allears:

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

LifeofaGuardian posted:

Thank you. I love how surprised the bird/griffin/dragon thing seems to look about this development.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Chapter 18: Sable Showdown (Prep)

So, back to the main story now. I know it’s been a while, but Shadow Dragon is still happening in here somewhere.

Found it.

The word “orb” will never not be funny to me, I’m sorry.

: Marth and company set off to Chiasmir and the Fane of Raman to find them, but in their path stood a cohort of Grustian knights known as the Sable Order. The bridges across the strait would soon be choked with the brave and the dead…

As far as bridge maps go, this isn’t too bad. It’s no Path of Radiance Petrine pitfall hellscape.

Actually deploying Minerva and Palla here, pretty much just because flyers are good, you guys.

We’ve also got some promotions to take care of. Barst becomes a Berzerker.

18 strength is going to make him a hell of a heavy hitter for roughly the rest of the whole game.

Caeda goes Dracoknight and...actually loses stats? For some incomprehensible reason...split promotions ARE in this game. Kinda. Only Pegasus Knights can use them, and can also choose to become Falcoknights by using the Elysian Whip.

Falcoknights aren’t as strong as Dracos, or as physically durable, but they get more resistance and speed, basically just being “Pegasus Knights But Moreso”. They can also wield swords instead of Axes.

The reason I’m telling you this instead of showing you is that getting the Elysian Whip requires buying it from the Nintendo Wifi Shop, a feature that is no longer active with the shutdown of the DS online capabilities. Sucks, but oh well. It had some pretty great items too, like Brave Weapons and more Master Seals.

Anyway, this map. It’s honestly not much to look at at first. There’s a giant bridge we’ll want to push south across.

The Sable Knights deploy almost exclusively Mounted units. Paladins, Horsemen, and Cavaliers will be making up the enemies here. Why, yes, that Ridersbane you probably have should come in handy, and a Poleax would be lovely. Marth and Caeda’s special weapons work great too, but watch out for bows in Caeda’s case.

There’s a small town area here with an Arena that might be one of the most useful in the game if you plan on using a very specific character. I don’t, but I mean, it’s there.

As I’m sure you won’t be shocked to hear, there are a smattering of forts behind enemy lines. Be careful of suddenly appearing horses.

There’s really nothing remarkable about Sternlin. Poor guy doesn’t even have a 2 range weapon, and unlike Morzas, he doesn’t have the defensive stats to make up for it. He’ll be the least of your concerns.

This guy would be a Troubadour but they don’t exist yet.

Next time Marth crosses a bridge.

Bonus Content

Today we’re going to talk with the first character whose name I saw on the list, so hi Caesar!

: Do you have a family back in Warren?

: Yes… I have a little sister.

: You’ve a sister…? I’m sure she’s really cute. Is she alright without you?

: Well, it’s rather complicated, you see… My sister...is sick.

: I see...

: Her life won't be in danger as long as she takes her medicine, but... The medicine is expensive. I couldn't pay for it with just the salary I earned at my old job in Warren, so I had to look for faraway work like this.

Not to ruin the emotional scene here but I love picturing Caesar running into the shop and slamming gold on the counter to come out with a small handtruck of Vulneraries.

: ...Then you must return home alive, no matter what, for your sister's sake too.

: Yeah. And I'm counting on you to make that happen, Steve.

: Me?

: Steve, I believe you are the cornerstone of this army. It's not just because you're Marth's Royal Guard. It's pretty clear to anyone who sees you in battle. The way you fight will decide the outcome of this war... That's how I see it.

: ...

: Suffice to say, Prince Marth isn't the only one relying on you. I know I'm asking too much, but... Steve, that is why I'll lend you my strength. In peace and in war.

: Thank you, Caesar.

: No need for thanks. I am a mercenary... Ultimately, I only think of my own profit. So, don't be shy. Feel free to ask me if there's anything I can do for you.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

LordHippoman posted:

Caeda goes Dracoknight and...actually loses stats? For some incomprehensible reason...split promotions ARE in this game. Kinda. Only Pegasus Knights can use them, and can also choose to become Falcoknights by using the Elysian Whip.

Falcoknights aren’t as strong as Dracos, or as physically durable, but they get more resistance and speed, basically just being “Pegasus Knights But Moreso”. They can also wield swords instead of Axes.

The reason I’m telling you this instead of showing you is that getting the Elysian Whip requires buying it from the Nintendo Wifi Shop, a feature that is no longer active with the shutdown of the DS online capabilities. Sucks, but oh well. It had some pretty great items too, like Brave Weapons and more Master Seals.

Falcoknights didn't exist in the original Fire Emblem, the Elysian Whip was added so players could have the promotion they're more used to for Caeda and/or the Whitewings. Dracoknights have lower base Resistance and Magic, which is traditional for the class chain. Not sure why they didn't make at least a couple whips available in the main game, though.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

EclecticTastes posted:

Falcoknights didn't exist in the original Fire Emblem, the Elysian Whip was added so players could have the promotion they're more used to for Caeda and/or the Whitewings. Dracoknights have lower base Resistance and Magic, which is traditional for the class chain. Not sure why they didn't make at least a couple whips available in the main game, though.

Because Shadow Dragon is kind of a bizarre chain of dubious design choices.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

EclecticTastes posted:

FE1's promotions were nonsense. Pegs become Dragons, but Fighters can't promote and I don't think there were even enemy-exclusive promotions for them. Speaking of, Generals existed but were enemy exclusive and player Knights can't promote. Hunters also couldn't promote and horsemen didnt exist until FE3

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Small mistake; Horsemen did exist but they were just a separate thing from Hunters. Because FE1.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

rannum posted:

FE1's promotions were nonsense. Pegs become Dragons, but Fighters can't promote and I don't think there were even enemy-exclusive promotions for them. Speaking of, Generals existed but were enemy exclusive and player Knights can't promote. Hunters also couldn't promote and horsemen didnt exist until FE3

Yeah, the whole thing was a giant pile of nonsense, though Horsemen did exist in the first game, it's what Wolf and Sedgar always were, they just weren't connected to Hunters. Mages also promoted to Bishops, which is why Wendell is one rather than a Sage.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Last Celebration posted:

Because Shadow Dragon is kind of a bizarre chain of dubious design choices.

I sure wish that particular dubious choice was SD's only, but sadly it became a regular part of the series afterwards.

Thankfully, it's the only bad choice this game made that actually stuck, unless I'm forgetting something big here.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

I sure wish that particular dubious choice was SD's only, but sadly it became a regular part of the series afterwards.

Thankfully, it's the only bad choice this game made that actually stuck, unless I'm forgetting something big here.

Huh? There are a few Elysian Whips in New Mystery, and pegs have had the option to promote to Falcon Knights ever since. Unless you're talking about DLC classes, which isn't the absolute worst thing ever.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Chapter 18: Sable Showdown (Battle)

No time like the present to start crossing this bridge into Endgame Territory.

: That must be the Sable Order…

The Sable Order are pretty much Grust’s A-Team of mounted warriors. We’ve heard about them a few times, I think that Ballista boss threatened us with them back in chapter...13 or so, but this is their first direct appearance.

: Marth, I heard the enemy forces have been spotted.

: She said, as she was standing about two feet away.

: Yes, that’s right. The Sable Order, it seems.

: Really? Tell me, who leads them?

: Why does it matter?

: Oh…no, it’s just- they say the Sable Order is led by a brilliant general. I was…wondering if he was riding with them today.

This is an understatement.

: Something about acting outside orders… They’ll be keeping him on a short leash; I don’t expect we’ll see him here.

: That...that is good news...

I know we just finished talking, but there’s really nothing to say about the start of this map. I moved everyone towards the one place they could go, now Catria and Minerva are going to chat.

Off to a great start.

: Commander. …Princess Minerva?

: Hm? Ah, sorry… Now I’ve taken to daydreaming on the battlefield. How Michalis would laugh.

: Then it was your brother you were thinking about?

: …...He made his choice; I, mine. I’ve no time to stew in my own sorrow when my path is clear before me. Come, Catria. Hyah!

I really should have called this one “Everyone Bothers Minerva”.

: Your battles are our battles, Commander.

: But our kingdom has fallen apart: sons slay their fathers; brothers and sisters trade blows instead of kisses… I have let Macedon be destroyed.

: I do not think so. Nor do I think you should feel troubled for our sake. You are our home, more than Macedon; our true house is the sky around you. We will always serve you, Commander, through thick and thin. I swear it.

: Palla…

Uh oh. Looks like we had too many heart-to-hearts and now the enemies are charging on Turn 1!

Pretty standard defensive line here. The bridge makes for an easy chokepoint, and the Cavaliers are only armed with Javelins, so their damage output isn’t anything special.

Barst says “gently caress it” and ventures into the water again. He’s got a job to do.

I’m really happy with the way Caeda turned out in this run. Not only did she hit strength growths, she also got fairly tanky (probably thanks to the stat boosters) and she’s a really good jack of all trades now. Except with bows, but that’s a minor setback.

From the depths, he rises.

BARST-ZILLA!

Now that the enemies have conveniently bunched up here, they’re easy pickings for our other units.

I am a little worried about Linde, because she’s really reliant on Aura right now, and that does not last forever. Guess I can always forge a replacement that’s close enough.

The speed is very welcome.

Anyway, that’s those goons dealt with. Not too bad.

I just realized Julian’s not really doing anything on this map, so I’m going to have him guard this fort. I’m paranoid about reinforcements. (None spawn from here, turns out.)

Here’s a spot that puts Abel out of range of the enemy Horsemen, but in range of...everything else. He’s got 40 HP, though. Time to break in that Ridersbane.

This is roughly three or four enemies later.

Well, at least it was one good stat. When you play Shadow Dragon long enough you get sort of a Stockholm Syndrome for the growths.

They foolishly sink their arrows into Barstzilla. He laughs.

He continues laughing.

So that’s...about half the map done already. This one’s really pretty easy. It wasn’t even included in the first remake back in FE3.

Next up we’ve got the southern group, who I can’t advance on yet with Caeda due to that pesky Horseman.

Catria, with nothing better to do, just buys a Ridersbane. I want them on my fliers.

Wolf takes up bait duty, and you can predict how well that goes.

Or you can, like, look at the screenshot.

Zap. Scratch one Paladin.

Wendell just got a level from doing some healing. Wendell has been the secret backbone of the team for a while. I love you, Wizard Pope.

Meanwhile Catria finds some handy arena cash.

So, I might have made a mistake here, putting Caesar in range of...like all the enemies.

It was fine and I definitely didn’t slightly panic.

I have no idea what this guy was doing but he’s dead now.

At least my somewhat poor choices give me the opportunity to use that Recover Staff Maria’s toting.

With the southern group rounded up, it’s pretty trivial to just knock them down now, with my gathered army on the bridge.

Turn 6 brings...one Pegasus Knight. Really? Reinforcements have gone down a notch.

OH! Oh, never mind.

Marth, hurry to the meeting square.

: I’ve been looking for you. Initially I intended to join up with you along with my sisters, but then I heard Grust had made off with one of Archanea’s three regalia- the sword Mercurius- so I flew there to get it back.

Either Marth is really into Mercurius or he’s nodding off again.

: In the right hands, I think you’ll find it a formidable weapon indeed.

:toot:

Mercurius is the best Sword in the game. Mostly. It’s packing some incredibly good stats, with the only downside being the rather bad Durability, but that’s nothing the Silver Weapons don’t struggle with too.

It has no special ability or gimmick, it just tears poo poo up. Requires an A Rank, though, so I don’t think many of our current characters can use it. Shame.

This weapon also comes with a free Est.

Oh boy, Est. Est is interesting. You might notice her awful joining level. 3 in Chapter 18. Unpromoted. But Est has some of the best growths in the entire game, often jockeying for best or second best in many of them, not counting Wolf/Sedgar. She’s also got a ton of room to grow with them!

But using Est is hard. You’ll be spoonfeeding her kills for a long time to get her up to par, and once she does start wrecking poo poo, you’ll probably be near the endgame anyway. Unless you use the Arena that’s in this map, but not only is that risky, it’s also really time consuming.

Personally, I don’t like Est. But if you invest the time needed into her, she can be the MVP for these last few maps. She was also popular enough to have her archetype reused in pretty much every Fire Emblem game, so, y’know.

She’s also going to bother Minerva.

: Pretty spiffy, huh?

...Huh. So that’s where he got that from.

: Yes, Marth told me all about it. Very brave of you to undertake such a dangerous task alone. Well done, Est.

: Hee hee! You mean it? Thanks, Commander! You should have seen the arrows whooshing past me left and right! But I’m a Whitewing, right? So I swooped down and let ’em have it! Just watch, though. I’ll find some way to top it.

: I don’t doubt it. I expect great things from you, Est.

: Hee hee! You mean it?

That’s not me loving up the transcription, she does say it twice.

Est has SO MANY PEOPLE TO TALK TO. All the Pegasus Sisters have conversations with Minerva and eachother, except for Palla/Catria. That’s probably because they show up in the same chapter anyway.

: Ha ha, Est… You’re doing just fine. There are no half-Whitewings or almost-Whitewings. You’re one of us because you’re every bit as good as us. Have a little confidence.”

: Right, confidence…

: ...Feel better?

: Uh-huh. Thanks, Palla. It’s funny… Whenever I talk to you, I calm right down. Promise you’ll always be there for me, Palla.

: I will...I promise.

Well, while I wait on the inevitable reinforcements, Ogma’s starting to fall a little behind, so I’ll have him deal with the two cavaliers hiding offscreen to the right there.

Everyone else is set up to give those Forts a wide berth.

Because on the Turn 8 enemy phase (The wiki says Turn 7, I dunno if this is a Hard Mode difference or something), a Paladin, two Cavaliers, and a Horseman spawn, in that order. Keep this in mind, because it will repeat. Also, yes, that Horseman has a hell of a range…

Good for you, Ogma, but…

She lived with like, 4 HP. This is why I hate Reinforcements moving on spawn, and I’m so glad it’s not a mechanic anymore. At least, I think it isn’t, I haven’t played Shadows of Valentia yet.

It wasn’t in Fates, I say as I snap this Recover staff over my knee.

A Very Caeda Level Up

This is a fantastic chapter if your Marth is struggling, because mounted units are like sacks of Rapier EXP.

Oh yeah, one more of these.

: Sorry… I won’t leave you like that again. We belong together anyway. When the three of us surround an enemy, we’re just about unstoppable!

: Sir Jagen, please don’t shout for emphasis.

: True...but even so, I like having you somewhere I can keep an eye on you. Ha ha.

So Catria, Palla, and Est have a bit of a special utility. It’s not super convenient or useful, since you have to deploy all three to use it, but...if you put two of them adjacent to an enemy.

And then have the third attack…

She’ll land an automatic critical. They can be of any class, but must be in melee range. It’s kinda cool, and a recurring feature of the series, but not exactly the most accessible technique.

This has nothing to do with the Triangle Attack, Catria just gets a nice weapon level here.

I’ve withdrawn Caeda. That poo poo was too close. This is the second group of these guys, they spawn every other turn.

Will Barst cap Strength two LPs in a row? Probably not, we don’t have many chapters left, but maybe!

This might have been a little too cocky of me.

The third group has eyes on Abel, but that Ridersbane is earning its keep.

As is Abel.

When the Fourth and Final group of reinforcements from the forts shows up, they’re accompanied by a Paladin in the middle.

These guys meet the same end as the rest.

Also I might have had Caeda waiting for the Paladins.

A Rank, worth it.

Abel gets one last disappointing level for this map. Anyway, how about that boss?

I didn’t even use Aura here, since Sternlin has no ranged capability, at all. After a few turns…

The outcome was inevitable.

Linde, are you loving kidding me? Ugh. Okay, no.

NOPE, not ending on that note.

Oh, hey, she dyed her hair.

Promoting into a Sage did give her more Strength than Magic, yes. I know why that is, with the base formulas and all, but it’s still silly.

Ahem. Anyway.

: Yes. But the real battle may yet be ahead of us. Malledus… Can we be certain the Lightsphere and the Starsphere are in the Fane of Raman?

: Yes, sire; but unfortunately, they may not be all we find.

Marth’s really concerned.

: Those who defile her sanctuary are punished by fire; none are spared from the blaze.

: Perhaps we should reconsider, Marth…

: Perhaps…But if none are spared from the blaze, where do the rumors come from? Besides, we need those two orbs.

: Well, might I suggest you take in just a few able companions, and let the sleeping dragons lie?

: Sage advice. I’ve no desire to tear apart a holy place, whether the goddess is home or not…I’ll choose a handful of elite to search for the orbs with me.

Next time we take...pretty much the same amount of people as usual.

Bonus Content

The Youngest Child Of The Three Pegasus Knights, Est

PS: If you're reading this as it goes live, it's probably worth mentioning that Fire Emblem Heroes has an event going right now to unlock Palla, Catria, and Est pretty easily. So if you like them here, get them in that game too.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 01:16 on May 4, 2017

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Yeah, honestly I'm with you when it comes to Est not being worth using. Her growths are actually pretty bad, considering her join time. She has slighter better strength and luck growth than Catria, but the rest is worse. It's especially annoying since her growths in the original are substantially better. She goes from a 70% strength growth in the original down to 55% in this game. What the hell? Of all the characters to nerf, why her?

(That being said, in my ladies only run of Shadow Dragon and New Mystery Est was pretty drat good.)

Camel Pimp fucked around with this message at 23:36 on May 3, 2017

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

LordHippoman posted:

[img]https://lpix.org/1913735/Small_portrait_palla_fe12.png]: Your battles are our battles, Commander.

Yo, fix your Palla portraits.

LordHippoman posted:

: Uh-huh. Thanks, Palla. It’s funny… Whenever I talk to you, I calm right down. Promise you’ll always be there for me, Palla.

: I will...I promise.

Mangling them seems kind of disrespectful seeing as she loving died in this chapter!

Camel Pimp posted:

She goes from a 70% strength growth in the original down to 55% in this game. What the hell? Of all the characters to nerf, why her?

Because Ests are bad and people who like Ests are also bad, and thus they must suffer. :pseudo:

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

vilkacis posted:

Because Ests are bad and people who like Ests are also bad, and thus they must suffer. :pseudo:

Ironically for IS (knowing what classes and character types they hate), the most usuable Est-type character (late join time at low relative level, but with good growths and a lot of potential) in my opinion is Largo from Path of Radiance, i.e. a Berserker. If you use him every chapter after he joins, he quickly becomes Boyd But More, and I'm convinced that the reason he wasn't included in Radiant Dawn is because they couldn't find a way to balance the Berserker class properly.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Camel Pimp posted:

Yeah, honestly I'm with you when it comes to Est not being worth using. Her growths are actually pretty bad, considering her join time. She has slighter better strength and luck growth than Catria, but the rest is worse.

Oddly enough for Est being the first...Est, her growths kinda do suck for the archetype. They're naturally lower because Shadow Dragon Numbers, but even so she's still sort of comparing to Catria/Palla, who don't have her huge disadvantage of showing up so late/underleveled.

vilkacis posted:

Yo, fix your Palla portraits.

Got 'em.

Also Est is lame until she puts a pot on her head and shows up in a game with grinding. That like, barely counts though.

EclecticTastes posted:

I'm convinced that the reason he wasn't included in Radiant Dawn is because they couldn't find a way to balance the Berserker class properly.

You mean you don't believe the completely natural plot point of "his arm fell off"? That was integral to the plot.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Taking the Est archetype and turning it into the Trainee/Villager archetype was a lot better of an idea. Level 1, trash starting stats, but great growths (or extra levels) and general options and they typically become available in the early chunk of the game. Plus, charming animations.

and side tangent onto heroes' pegasus sisters. Catria is good, oddly bulky with a great attacking special; Palla is reasonable all around with good support & attacking options; Est is strong and resistant but can not take a single hit to the face without caving instantly. Even as 3 star units, they (or at least Catria & Palla) are definitely worth picking up in Heroes while the quests are active.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

If you're anything like me, you'll get 7 Ests in a month trying to pull more useful units. I just wanted Ninian!

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Abel's going to be holding that still-unused sword "desert map" until endgame, isn't he?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
The only Est I've ever used is Nino, and that's because due to the relatively low Resistance 95% of units in this game has, it's a lot easier to feed her kills and to get her to where she can kill things on her own

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Chapter 19: 60% Orb Ratio (Prep)

A very short update today for a very short chapter.

Not that I won’t have a lot to talk about, though. There are some Important Things in this one.

They were no Morzas.

: The League marched on to the Fane of Raman, a holy sanctuary built by the divine dragoons to house their most priceless treasures. Here another story was set to begin…

: Long ago, Medeus, king of the dragonkin…

: Oh, don’t you dare!

Distributing some Stat Boosters. Being able to double would do wonders for Linde’s damage output.

Caesar’s defense is pretty bad, too. Both he and Ogma have fallen pretty far behind, though. Still, I’ve got the deployment slots.

Well, most of the time. I dropped Ogma for this one to put in...Bantu? Yes, he is EXTREMELY important for this map!

I also distributed Master and Door Keys among a lot of my tankier characters. We’ve got doors to open, and Julian will appreciate the backup.

Most of the Fane of Raman is hidden to us from the start. There are nine chambers here, and to find out what’s waiting inside, we’ll need to crack them open.

Unfortunately, we aren’t the only ones trying to do that. Thieves are here, including this one, who has...uh, wow. That’s really, really important. Do not let him get away with the Lightsphere!

These thieves will be slightly less of a threat, but we’ll still want to hurry and take them down. Thankfully, I have a really high movement team.

The boss here is Tiki, and you shouldn’t be fooled by her level or HP. That’s 31 Attack with that Divinestone! It also boosts her Defense and Resistance in combat by 15 and 11 respectively! (Gives a total of +10 Strength, +7 Skill, and +4 Speed as well.)

Next time we rob a dragon.

Bonus Content

Abel and Est hook up after this game. Things go...uh...like this.

: Abel!

: Est, you haven't been in an actual battle for a while. Try not to overdo it.

: I told you I'm alright! Sure, I'm not at my peak, but my skill as a former Whitewing hasn't faded just yet. But nevermind me, Abel, I don't want you to get hurt, either. If you'd like, I could let you ride my pegasus. That way, you wouldn't get a scratch on you.

: You said it. I used to be an Altean knight, you know. They called me "Abel the Black Panther." No mere soldier could possibly hope to defeat me. Hmm... If I were to ride with you though, I'd be able to protect you...

: Eh? ...Oh dear. Sorry, Abel. I, um, don't think that he wants you to ride him.

: I-I see. I knew it; so he really does hate me... Even back home, he'd go out of his way to savage me each time I tried to touch him.

: You ending up getting kicked all the time too... Heehee, you were so certain that you'd need to get along with him in order to be family with me.

: And in the end, I couldn't even pat his head...

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Probably one of the worse decisions they made here was to make it so dragonstone bonuses don't show up in the status screen. Why? Why do that.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

It's not a challenge if they just tell you these things!

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

LordHippoman posted:

Chapter 19: 60% Orb Ratio (Prep)

:iceburn:

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Chapter 19: 60% Orb Ratio (Battle)

A fane is apparently an old Middle-English word for “Temple” and welcome back to Shadow Dragon.

Gharnef really needs a manicure, that looks hazardous.

: Can you hear my voice?

: ...Mm-hmm.

: Defilers have set foot inside the fane- despoilers! Punish them. Let your fire consume them!

: Defilers…in the fane…Punish them…

: Gharnef was seriously just the worst babysitter.

: I alone am protecting you from Medeus. Remember…

It’s never really outright stated, but I like to believe that Tiki’s Gharnef’s secret weapon in case Medeus tries to backstab him, or he wants to backstab Medeus. They’re both kinda like that. Of course he could just be lying, but I like ambitious-schemer Gharnef more than lackey-cultist Gharnef.

: You alone…are protecting me…Punish…the defilers…

Regardless, we won’t be fighting him yet. Gharnef warps out, leaving us to deal with his temple of locked doors.

...How long has he been in there?

This is a mercy killing.

The actual enemies out and about on this map are complete chumps.

Cord is on standby in case there’s another rude surprise in this one.

Fortunately, the only surprises are treasure. Which qualifies as a good one.

Err. An okay one. Pure Water works like the Barrier Staff, but it’s consumable. Definitely not bad, but quite situational.

Abel and Caeda are just charging ahead because I want to cut the enemy thieves off ASAP.

It goes pretty smoothly. I’m not sure why these Mercenaries are so low level.

The thieves are coming, though, and they’ve got Hero reinforcements.

By splitting Abel and Caeda here, I should be able to corner both of them in.

The other treasure in that first room was an always handy Magic booster.

I’ll be real with you, I don’t know why they give you 12 deployment slots for this map. Most of our team will be doing nothing but watching Julian and Barst open doors.

Still, I’ll take the breather map. The next one has a ballista on it.

No one has ever needed this much Luck, Caeda. Stop it.

This screenshot might take some explaining. The thief on the right side opened the door, which lit up this room, which caused the mage inside to be able to act.

The result is unpleasant. That’s a rude move, Fane of Raman.

Thankfully, I’ve still got the Physic.

Rescind my thanks, for some reason this random fucker is like the strongest foe we’ve ever faced.

FALL BACK, NEW PLAN

Now Abel’s out of Mage range, but still close enough to block the thieves from escaping.

Barst is going to continue looting.

This is the worst loot.

Now with Abel and Wolf here, the thieves are completely boxed in.

So this goes pretty well.

I want Defense more than anything on Abel right now, but this’ll do.

The thieves didn’t even attack. They just moved here and stood. Staring. It’s a little creepy.

Please leave.

You get a fancy long jingle when you pick this up, and it’s called the Lightsphere. So you know it’s plot important. The Lightsphere does have an in-game effect, but since Linde’s inventory had open space I didn’t get to check it here.

It negates enemy terrain bonuses if you hold it. That’s good against throne bosses and...really nothing else. But hey, plot value.

The remaining thieves aren’t an issue.

Oh. Except this guy. He’s just made himself an issue.

Our Bolganone is better.

And again!

: So, you guys just had to find one big chunk, huh?

: Don’t be bitter.

: I’m twelve different kinds of bitter.

The Starsphere does what it says in the box there. That’s really handy!

Just wanted to point out the nice touch here, one of the chests already starts opened. That’s probably where the Lightsphere was held before that random nameless thief started hauling it around.

This sells for 30,000 gold. Here are your endgame funds, go nuts.

Third tier door on the right is also a treasure room.

Okay, so this one’s a little weird.

The Geosphere is consumable in this game, for some reason. It also just deals 13 damage to EVERYTHING on the map. Including your allies. This has a few fun applications, but one in particular I’m really looking forward to.

The only things left on this map can only do Magic damage.

It’s Maria time.

Okay, now it’s Maria time.

:getin:

Abel can also finally open a door. I’m leaving the contents a surprise.

Maria Time has pretty sad returns.

Hey. I actually want that.

Thankfully, Caeda’s still a little pissed about the whole Bolganone thing.

The surprise, by the way, was disappointment. It’s just this guy.

Here’s more disappointment.

Here’s another handy set of two treasures to round off the map. We can promote almost everyone now.

Alright, here’s Bantu’s use. It’s only taken us 11 chapters to get to it. We, of course, do not have to murder the brainwashed dragon child.

: Hm? …Gharnef has put you in some sort of trance, poor thing. Peace, child. Peace. Awaken.

: …Mmm? ….Ban-Ban? Is that you? Where am I? What happened?

: Yes, child. ’tis I, ’tis I. How I worried! Are you hurt?

: No, Ban-Ban, just…just scared…I feel as though I just woke from an awful nightmare…

: I am truly sorry, child. Truly, I am. I will not let us be separated again. From now on, I will be there to protect you.

: Promise? You have to promise, Ban-Ban. I hate being alone…

For what he lacks in stats, he makes up for in being the Best Dragon Grandpa.

So we have Tiki now. Tiki is pretty drat good. She’s not just a Manakete, she’s a “Divine” Manakete, meaning she can use that stone that gives her amazing stats. It’s also effective against Manaketes, like an Armorslayer on Knights, and the endgame is, as you could probably guess, full of Manaketes. Her biggest issue is the limited uses on the Divinestone, though you can get around that, and her awful HP, although not much gets through those defenses. (+15/+11 with the Divinestone, remember).

Her low movement can also be troubling, but overall Tiki is really effective right out of the box, and she’s probably the last unit worth adding to your team. I’ll probably swap out one of the Mercs for her.

She can also talk to Marth.

: Ban-Ban told me all about you, too. Will you take me with you?

: Of course, Tiki, as long as that’s what you want.

: Yes, yes it is! Oh, thank you, Mar-Mar!

: Mar-Mar?!

: Am I not allowed to call you that?

: N-

Ice cold, Marth.

: That is- Er- Well, if you want.

: Thank you, Mar-Mar!

: You’re welcome?

You can finish this map without both or either orb. It will have bad ramifications in the future, though. Nothing bad-ending level, but you’ll miss out on a really good couple weapons.

Marth, however, got them both this time around.

: But first, Nyna, we’ve a more pressing task ahead of us.

: Oh? And what is that?

: We must defeat Grust once and for all. If we march south without finishing them off, we have our rear exposed.

: ...Are you smiling?

: Not like you can tell.

: Then you mean to invade.

: Yes. And this time, General Camus will be there to meet us. I am sure of it. “Camus the Sable”, they call him. Many extol him as the most able warrior alive. It will be a fierce battle…but one we cannot avoid.

: You are certain we must face him?

: We have crippled Grust, but they will regroup and stand in our way again. No, we need to stamp this fire out before the wind catches it and starts spreading it anew.

: Very well. But before you attack, there is something I must tell you. Later, though…Not yet. I must sort my feelings out first…

This weird foreshadowing will last literally one map.

Next time this guy.

Bonus Content

The Princess of the Divine Dragon Tribe, Tiki

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

LordHippoman posted:

For what he lacks in stats, he makes up for in being the Best Dragon Grandpa.

:respek:

LordHippoman posted:

Next time this guy.

That chin looks strangely familiar...!

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

vilkacis posted:

That chin looks strangely familiar...!

If only he would turn towards me so I could see it better.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

I don't get it, it's just Casval Deikun.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Chapter 20: Grust to Grust (Prep)

Last time, we decided to take down the forces threatening Marth’s rear.

Namely that guy.

I don’t think they really go into detail on the War of Liberation in this game, but it gets mentioned more in the sequel. It’s ancient history anyway, and doesn’t really concern the plot here too much. Anyway, peerless knights:

: the barbarians in the kingdom’s infancy, securing its place as one of the greatest of the Seven Kingdoms. However, the current king, Ludwik, was weak-willed and easily cowed: Dolhr had little trouble forcing him into an alliance. Now he had taken ill, even as Grust suffered its string of defeats at the hand of the league. The once mighty kingdom was poised to fall…

I do like that, by this point in the game, even the narration is pumping up Marth’s team as the kingdom-conquering shitwreckers you are at this point. You’ve already taken down one enemy nation (though it was Gra so ehhhh), so now you’re in the big leagues.

This map is pretty big and spacious, so I figured I may as well show off a Ballistician. I skipped them on the Normal Run, so this is my only chance.

Just a quick note, Ballista are stored under the Bow section of the Convoy. Now then, we got a ton of loot from the Fane of Raman, let’s get to distributing it.

Caesar’s come along pretty nicely.

I’m not sure why promoting to Hero gets you 1 Magic. I’m not complaining, at least it doesn’t take away stats.

Well, speak of the devil.

Ogma is now the sole unpromoted member of the main team. Sorry, Ogma, you’ve kinda fallen behind lately, but I’ll never forget how handy you were in the early game.

Bit of an experiment here, I’m not sure if the Starsphere prevents Staves from degrading. If it does, great! If it doesn’t, eh, I’ve got enough weapons that I’m not super worried about it. The three legendary weapons I have on me have barely been touched anyway.

Stat booster time. Marth is way too slow for a Sword Lord. You only get away with that kind of thing if you’re Ike and you just one-shot the world anyway.

I never really know what to do with these. Hit rates are so generous in this game that Skill isn’t really worth fretting over. So, Marth again.

He has less Magic than Linde. I could have possibly gone with Maria for this, but eh.

Tiki’s most glaring flaw is her garbage HP, so this ought to help her take an extra hit or two with all that Defense/Res.

As another note, Tiki’s a good Starsphere holder as well, because you don’t want to waste uses on the Divinestone. She can also use Bantu’s Firestone, but it’s not nearly as effective.

This map is freakin’ huge and pretty complicated, so let’s get started. The enemy is officially done loving around, they’re pulling out Generals and Ballistas. One of our fliers can probably reach the latter on turn one, though.

There are two routes to the castle on this map. We’ll start with the lower one.

It’s a lot more open than the path up top, and it’s also home to another loving Ballista. Some Paladins too, for good measure. That village has a one-of-a-kind item, so it’s in our best interest to get there. It might look like I can just cut northwest from here to reach the castle, but there’s a mountain range in the way.

So we’ll need to continue west...past another Ballista (An Arrowspate too!), and hit up that bridge to loop around. Yes, there are a lot of forts dotted around. If that scares you, I’ve trained you well.

The boss, Lorenz, is surrounded by healers, a General, a FOURTH ballista (ughhh), and a thief, who wants to rush that village. If you read the last LP, it’s probably not a surprise that Lorenz is a little unique, and we won’t just want to kill him.

The top route is accessible by lowering this Bridge. Barst’s Master Key or Julian’s Existence can handle it. There are fewer enemies, but one much larger problem.

Camus himself is guarding the area up here. Camus is a real threat. He’s got his paws on Gradivus, the final Regalia, and he won’t give it up without a fight. A lot of HP, decent defensive stats, and a two range weapon mean you really want to bring your best character, preferably with an anti-cavalry weapon.

Camus is also technically completely optional! You can take the throne without dealing with him, although that means you miss out on Gradivus. Plus that’s hella anti-climactic.

Bonus Content

This is actually from Shadow Dragon, but it involves two characters you...honestly probably aren’t using, Astram and Boah. They can chat on the map, and Boah has an...interesting idea.

: Bishop Boah.

: Ah, Astram. Welcome back. I must say I am relieved. Where would Archanea’s army be without its finest knight?

: Nonsense… I am but one arrow in the quiver. Princess Nyna is the bow. So long as we have her to lead us, Archanea’s light shall never fade.

: Well spoken, child. But let us be honest: that light has not shone as bright since our defeat at the hands of Dolhr. It will take a miracle to restore Archanea‘s prestige after this… Or, perhaps, some clever thinking. If our next king were to be foreign…

: What? A king who’s not Archanean?

: Well, of course, the princess would need to approve of him. How do you feel about it, Astram?

: I don’t. I am a knight. I will leave the feeling to those whose job it is to feel and content myself with serving my kingdom… no matter how the kingdom might change.

: Then you are a loyal knight indeed. Well...the future can wait a tad longer. We have a war to fight first...and win. Archanea’s tomorrow depends on it.

: That it does, Bishop.

Oh boy, it sure sounds like nobody is thinking about this plan! I’m sure it’ll go great anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Why is the sword dude using bow analogys, Jorge step up your game.

• Locked thread