Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

What in the everloving gently caress was that bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
That was bizarre

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

I know Gallen is a grub but I didn't know he'd been taking lessons from Olympic divers.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

My heart can't take this

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

The sad part is we literally lost that match because we had nobody to cover a missing fullback

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
I thought Naiqama played better as fullback than I expected him to, but I was surprised they didn't move Nofoaluma there.

The Tigers have looked more positive in the past few weeks than I can remember them looking in ages -if nothing else Cleary seems to have brought that.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Some fine rugby league football from the defending premiers. Up up.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Resident Idiot posted:

I thought Naiqama played better as fullback than I expected him to, but I was surprised they didn't move Nofoaluma there.

The Tigers have looked more positive in the past few weeks than I can remember them looking in ages -if nothing else Cleary seems to have brought that.

He did, but he was completely out of position for the last two tries and that's why we lost. Moses came through the ranks as a fullback, could have had him defending there...

And yeah, I'm pretty happy with our team since we got the new coach. We definitely look more like a cohesive team and actually are competing in games.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Resident Idiot posted:

Nofoluma was quite badly hampered by a knee injury all game, didn't have the mobility to play fullback.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Had a bit of a breakdown tonight but looking at the Raiders critically we have too many structural issues right now.

Too dependent on individual efforts. The defensive structures actually confuse me

There is the potential for a good team hidden away there but stuart must sign a decent metre eater prop for 2018. Doesnt have to be a superstar but first grade standard, big fuel tank who can go 100m most weeks. A David Shillington style player.

Sia looks like he suffered a brain injury. Next time any one in the thread watches a raiders game see if soa just looks lost and ends up in weird positions.

Wighton is way too vulnerable to a defensive line getting in his face. When the line hangs off him he looks amazing but under pressure he drops a heck of a lot of passes.

The bench is real bad. Tapine was good tonight and priest gets a low pass but the rest so meh.

With papalii likely out and the knights being a bit of a boogeyside for us i cant see us winning next week.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Counterpoint:

The Knights are a clown show and anyone who watched their second half yesterday should expect to put ten tries on them.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Had a bit of a breakdown tonight but looking at the Raiders critically we have too many structural issues right now.

Too dependent on individual efforts. The defensive structures actually confuse me

There is the potential for a good team hidden away there but stuart must sign a decent metre eater prop for 2018. Doesnt have to be a superstar but first grade standard, big fuel tank who can go 100m most weeks. A David Shillington style player.

Sia looks like he suffered a brain injury. Next time any one in the thread watches a raiders game see if soa just looks lost and ends up in weird positions.

Wighton is way too vulnerable to a defensive line getting in his face. When the line hangs off him he looks amazing but under pressure he drops a heck of a lot of passes.

The bench is real bad. Tapine was good tonight and priest gets a low pass but the rest so meh.

With papalii likely out and the knights being a bit of a boogeyside for us i cant see us winning next week.

They really hosed up in discarding Paul Vaughn.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Smorgasbord posted:

I think there was a lot going on there. I think vaughan wasnt taking his footy as seriously as he should have been and his fitness wasnt the best. He could be quite lazy defending back on the inside.

I think he was the best prop at the club at his best but for a club like canberra balancing the salary cap is very hard because we dont have heaps of tpas. We do ok i think but certainly we arent in the top 6 or so tpa clubs.

So i agree that paul vaughan is a heck of a prop but he has been way better at the dragons than he was at canberra in his last 12 months. I think Paulo has been really good as an aside. Its just the third prop position thats an issue and boyd being down on form.

Paulo is good, boyd has been good in the past and priest is fine as a fourth prop but we are just missing a shillo/woods character to just do a lot of hitups. Tapine is going to be a great player but he isnt that type of bloke. I think he will be our starting lock eventually. Bateman is that type of player in theory but he is too small imo.

Teams are covering our outside backs better by flying off their line.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Smorgasbord posted:

I mean Boyd and Paulo are both excellent props and I think it's just a bit of poor luck that they're both out of form this year (Boyd massively so) and Vaughn is in killer form. St George also gave Vaughan ridiculous amounts of money and people were a bit flabbergasted by it last year but he's put in a good case so far this season that he is earning his coin

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
Won't turn down a win but how we got that at the end I'm not sure

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

That could have been the worst ever final play to result in the winning points.

Like do the warriors even have the slightest clue how to set up for a field goal?

Also lol that was an excellent call by the ref, Pearce apparently just forgot the concept of offside existed.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL

Red_Museum posted:

Won't turn down a win but how we got that at the end I'm not sure

:agreed:

iajanus posted:

That could have been the worst ever final play to result in the winning points.

Like do the warriors even have the slightest clue how to set up for a field goal?

A field what? I think it's an accomplishment for some of our players to walk in a straight line without tripping over themselves.

quote:

Also lol that was an excellent call by the ref, Pearce apparently just forgot the concept of offside existed.

Was it that obvious? At the ground we had no idea what it was for. The penalty was blown so late that I thought it was for a late tackle or something.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Jono C posted:

Was it that obvious? At the ground we had no idea what it was for. The penalty was blown so late that I thought it was for a late tackle or something.

Pearce was literally sitting next to the player playing the ball and then just stood up. He never took one step back to being onside, and when the warriors came back to his side of the field he attempted a tackle. Most obvious offside I've ever seen.

The penalty was called late because the ref thought there was a chance the warriors might actually score some points on their own, which is patently hilarious.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
The rule change for the corner post is seriously one of the best things the nrl has done in recent years.

Exhibit A: that try

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Agreed

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Cronk took so long to go after he was given 10, should have been sent off for it.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Fifita wasnt picked for australia on character grounds but was allowed to play for cronulla.

Papalii will probably get a club ban on monday for the knights game and that will be that. Its in line with tamous punishment a couple of years ago
character grounds is a bit different from drinking and driving

also

nrl is silly

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
The city vs country fiasco that's currently going on is amusing and very NRL

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Fanatic posted:

The city vs country fiasco that's currently going on is amusing and very NRL

For a game that's been an absolute joke for the past 5 years at least this is a fitting end.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

bowmore posted:

character grounds is a bit different from drinking and driving

also

nrl is silly

I believe its pretty much the exact same punishment tamou got. A rep game and a club game.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

ili posted:

Cronk took so long to go after he was given 10, should have been sent off for it.

Counterpoint: James Maloney has never been sin binned

ili
Jul 26, 2003

cpaf posted:

Counterpoint: James Maloney has never been sin binned

Really? The cheeky/grubby little oval office should have earned a few by now.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Semi's domestic violence charges have been dropped. A minor good day for the NRL? Probably not.

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

iajanus posted:

Semi's domestic violence charges have been dropped. A minor good day for the NRL? Probably not.

he'll have a celebratory cruiser on his roof, then molest a doberman.
get caught drinking a pint he found in a urinal.
followed by a police chase.

and miss two rounds of footy.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Abalone Malone posted:

he'll have a celebratory cruiser on his roof, then molest a doberman.
get caught drinking a pint he found in a urinal.
followed by a police chase.

and miss two rounds of footy.

both of which will be served in the international break.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Also the broom continues to sweep through Concord; Seumanafagai is gone at the end of the season. Not sure where to, haven't checked. Presumably someone who wants an average and slightly lazy forward.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

iajanus posted:

Also the broom continues to sweep through Concord; Seumanafagai is gone at the end of the season. Not sure where to, haven't checked. Presumably someone who wants an average and slightly lazy forward.

Sharks.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

That should have been obvious to me.

Also, Teddy's gone, officially.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

iajanus posted:

That should have been obvious to me.

Also, Teddy's gone, officially.
RIP

gotta love when a club lets go of your best player

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

bowmore posted:

RIP

gotta love when a club lets go of your best player

To be fair, I don't think the club has "let him go" willingly.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

iajanus posted:

To be fair, I don't think the club has "let him go" willingly.
I don't think they wanted to pay to keep him

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

bowmore posted:

I don't think they wanted to pay to keep him

Every indication so far was that he was taking a paycut to go to the Roosters. I'm guessing being a lifelong fan of the Roosters and wanting a stable club around him he was happy to jump ship.

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

iajanus posted:

Every indication so far was that he was taking a paycut to go to the Roosters. I'm guessing being a lifelong fan of the Roosters and wanting a stable club around him he was happy to jump ship.

Maybe he wanted to see which club Jason Taylor was going to end up.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Abalone Malone posted:

Maybe he wanted to see which club Jason Taylor was going to end up.

See that would make sense if he picked a different one :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

https://twitter.com/Oxford_RL/status/860224893660606465

this is going to be an event of the highest quality, and i'm hyped

• Locked thread