Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I wish everyone in the US wasn't a fat gently caress with 12 kids. Then maybe we'd get some of the cool cars the ROW gets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

It's not that a 1 series hatch wouldn't sell here. ...It wouldn't sell at the price point they want.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

Took my first big drive with the RS. 24 MPG is way better than I expected, considering it had some city driving and about an hour of stop and go traffic.

My mustang averaged 19 mpg over its lifespan, so this feels like an achievement.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I don't think I've ever broken 20 in my RS, so you must have a light foot.

Stop driving it wrong.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe

KillHour posted:

I don't think I've ever broken 20 in my RS, so you must have a light foot.

Stop driving it wrong.

I mean... not much point in flooring it so I can get to the next stop light 3 seconds faster.

OR IS THERE?

Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM

SerCypher posted:

I mean... not much point in flooring it so I can get to the next stop light 3 seconds faster.

OR IS THERE?

You...you may have bought the wrong car :ohdear:

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe

Cellular Suicide posted:

You...you may have bought the wrong car :ohdear:

I wanted a practical 4 door hatchback. The dealer said the RS stood for 'Really Safe'

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Here's a silly question

What would be the bottom of the barrel budget used hot hatch. Something that could be bought for chump change but still have some fun and life in it. Some friends and I have decided to pool our funds and buy a junker this summer and do a stupid Mighty Car Mods style build on it. My first suggestion was an NA Miata but that was shot down so we're thinking a hatchback.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
There's not a ton out there, but SVT Focus? Should be able to snag one for a few grand. Is that bottom of the barrel?

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
Or maybe an old civic si?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Here's a silly question

What would be the bottom of the barrel budget used hot hatch. Something that could be bought for chump change but still have some fun and life in it. Some friends and I have decided to pool our funds and buy a junker this summer and do a stupid Mighty Car Mods style build on it. My first suggestion was an NA Miata but that was shot down so we're thinking a hatchback.

Well there's the matrix xrs/Pontiac vibe gt, it's got a 6 speed manual and the 2zz that revs to over 8k. There's some stuff available for the 2zz, but definitely a car that would benefit dramatically from weight reduction.

SVT focus is a good one, though if you're planning on a junkyard turbo build maybe a regular focus with the lower compression motor would last longer?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Fiat 500 Abarth is the answer.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

GutBomb posted:

Fiat 500 Abarth is the answer.

I get the feeling this is a joke, but I drove one of these and really liked it. I'll likely be in the market for a hot hatch in a few months and this was my front runner, whats the catch on the abarth?

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
I can say that the SVT Focus I had was pretty cool. I really liked the gearbox for whatever reason. The big issue with it IMO is that it is an interference engine, so if you lose the timing belt like I did...

I commuted in it, dailied it and generally drove the piss out of it, it never complained until one day when it just gave up the ghost and my wife told me to go buy something that wasn't < $4k. It was pretty fun to drive on backwoods dirt roads too, and was a pretty stout car in my experience with respect to potholes, gravel, minor encounters with stationary objects, etc. I paid $3200 with about 140k miles, put 500-ish dollars into fixing some suspension and sensor stuff, and then it was good to go.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

ADINSX posted:

I get the feeling this is a joke, but I drove one of these and really liked it. I'll likely be in the market for a hot hatch in a few months and this was my front runner, whats the catch on the abarth?

It's not a joke. It's so fun and sooooo cheap because it's resale value tanked more than most cars. I've seen used ones available for $8,000.

I guess the catch is that it isn't practical in the least.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

GutBomb posted:

It's not a joke. It's so fun and sooooo cheap because it's resale value tanked more than most cars. I've seen used ones available for $8,000.

I guess the catch is that it isn't practical in the least.

Oh ok then. I didn't realize the resale tanked so hard. I was looking for a new one but if I could find a gently used one (yeah right) then that's even better.

Practicality doesn't concern me too much, I owned a yaris hatchback for years and loved it (I realize the abarth is even smaller).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Lol, I'd love an Abarth but we're looking at probably $1500 for the initial car purchase if not less. A ZX3 Focus did come up as an option. There's a Protege 5 with a blown motor for $500 nearby and we thought maybe a BP swap.
Just looking for ideas right now.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
The ZX3 Focuses are a really good cost:fast ratio for autocross. They are exceptionally dominant in STF in the local scene, usually for under $400/yr on total race budget.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
B16 swapped EK/EG hatch.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The ZX3 Focuses are a really good cost:fast ratio for autocross. They are exceptionally dominant in STF in the local scene, usually for under $400/yr on total race budget.

And if you can't find a zx3, there is the zts focus that had the same 2.3 duratec (qualified as a pzev, and as a side effect of the higher efficiency hey guess what more power).

I remember c&d talking about what a bargain it was, and wasn't being marketed as a sporty version.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

I loved my old ZX5. Grey, 2002. It only had 130HP and took something lime nine seconds from 0-60, but handled really well for an economy car. I think it had a multiliknk rear suspension instead of a torsion arm?

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

Ludicro posted:

I was referring more to the fact the current Mini hatch isn't much smaller than say a Golf, but the latter has way more room inside.
The Mini hatch is 17" shorter than a 2-door Golf. The gigantic new Clubman is exactly the same length as a 4-door Golf.

Minis never make sense on paper and even when you drive them, it's an acquired taste. The new ones feel like a much more solid car than the old ones, but they aren't quite as fun. The new 2.0 turbo is smooth and torquey, but the engine itself just seems kind of heavy and dull.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I had a zts and it handled shockingly well, but kinda fell apart. Had to replace all 4 wheel bearings, had a spring break in half, lots of other little annoying poo poo, but could have been because it was a rusty Northeast car.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Geo Storm GSI, Suzuki Swift GTi

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

TheGoatTrick posted:

The Mini hatch is 17" shorter than a 2-door Golf. The gigantic new Clubman is exactly the same length as a 4-door Golf.

Minis never make sense on paper and even when you drive them, it's an acquired taste. The new ones feel like a much more solid car than the old ones, but they aren't quite as fun. The new 2.0 turbo is smooth and torquey, but the engine itself just seems kind of heavy and dull.

Yeah the interior of the current Mini is absolutely top class, way better than the overly plastic ones of its predecessors. It's also been three years since the F56 debuted and there appears to be no major reliability issues cropping up yet. Having driven an F56 Cooper S I have to say it's very fast and fun to drive, but is perhaps a bit too refined and lacks the rough and ready pocket rocket feel of the R56 Cooper S.

In any case, my partner and I want to start trying for a baby in the near future, so it came down to the 5 door Mini Hatch, the Mini Countryman, or a 5 door BMW 1 series. Bit of a no brainer really.

Electric Pigeon
Aug 14, 2008

This is definitely true in my experience. I had an '07 ZX4 with a few upgrades and it was pretty quick at auto-X (and fun everywhere), even with the standard engine. To bridge the SVT gap, there's a Ford Racing suspension kit with SVT shocks (and a choice of springs as of a couple years ago). It goes for about $300 right now. It's pretty dang good.

Twozzok
Jul 18, 2005
Does anyone remember when replacing a wing mirror was like £30, not £250?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Twozzok posted:

Does anyone remember when replacing a wing mirror was like £30, not £250?

Well, you could weld a compact onto my Impreza's passenger side and all you'd lose is the remote adjust. Our Fit has a camera in it, and the Forester has a heating element, and a blind-spot radar with a warning light.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

FMIC upgrade and stratified e30 tune should be installed by end of week. Pretty jazzed :dukedoge:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Here's the current insanish proposal

We buy THIS car
https://southbend.craigslist.org/cto/6076385026.html
(rusted to gently caress Mazdaspeed Protege)

And drop the engine into a cleanish Protege5 which of course there are none to be found anywhere within a 100 miles all of a sudden.

Option B is this beauty
https://limaohio.craigslist.org/cto/6080089291.html
(ragged SVT Focus)

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

We buy THIS car

And drop the engine into a cleanish Protege5 which of course there are none to be found anywhere within a 100 miles all of a sudden.

Option B is this beauty
(ragged SVT Focus)

Someone was mentioning their MSP blew up recently in the chat thread. Maybe he wants to sell it as a roller?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
Wow, there's a 2007 MS3 selling for five grand nearby. Bet that fucker is about ready to detonate.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Rhyno posted:

We buy THIS car

Option B is this beauty
(ragged SVT Focus)

that svt focus could be decent, it'll take the front clip off a normal focus so you could clean it up pretty good on the cheap

provided the guy isn't lying about the other poo poo, which he almost certainly is

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
$5k for mazdaspeed 3 if you can rebuild the engine yourself isn't bad. That $500 protege I'd buy and make for a community rallycross car.

Hansolio
Nov 4, 2009

I W A N T M Y M T V

PaintVagrant posted:

FMIC upgrade and stratified e30 tune should be installed by end of week. Pretty jazzed :dukedoge:

I just got my 91 & 93 map file from Stratified and I wasn't expecting the noticeable difference in 1st gear, it actually pulls off the line now without having to short shift to 2nd to get any usable power.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Hansolio posted:

I just got my 91 & 93 map file from Stratified and I wasn't expecting the noticeable difference in 1st gear, it actually pulls off the line now without having to short shift to 2nd to get any usable power.

Sounds rad. I Will prob take some before and after vIrtual dynos and post them here.

stranger danger
May 24, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Option B is this beauty
(ragged SVT Focus)

I was considering an SVT Focus a few months back and did a bit of research. The major weakness of those cars is the timing belt, which should be changed every 80k miles or so - obviously it can last longer than that but that's risky. From what I gathered, it's a pretty tricky DIY job and since it's the only car to use that particular cylinder head (VVT on the intakes, regular Zetec didn't have that), not many mechanics have experience doing the job. So of course a few people had horror stories of a bad timing belt replacement resulting in a grenaded engine.

People spoke pretty highly of them other than that, but it's something to consider. Definitely ask that guy about the belt replacement.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

stranger danger posted:

I was considering an SVT Focus a few months back and did a bit of research. The major weakness of those cars is the timing belt, which should be changed every 80k miles or so - obviously it can last longer than that but that's risky. From what I gathered, it's a pretty tricky DIY job and since it's the only car to use that particular cylinder head (VVT on the intakes, regular Zetec didn't have that), not many mechanics have experience doing the job. So of course a few people had horror stories of a bad timing belt replacement resulting in a grenaded engine.

People spoke pretty highly of them other than that, but it's something to consider. Definitely ask that guy about the belt replacement.

My SVT Focus was a ton of fun. If I found a clean one at a good price local I'd have a hard time not grabbing it.

Got my new rental today, a Jeep Cherokee! Let's go muddin!

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

fknlo posted:

My SVT Focus was a ton of fun. If I found a clean one at a good price local I'd have a hard time not grabbing it.

Got my new rental today, a Jeep Cherokee! Let's go muddin!

Lucky. I got a freaking Chevy Malibu that smells really weird. This thing is a freaking boat and I hate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Etrips posted:

Lucky. I got a freaking Chevy Malibu that smells really weird. This thing is a freaking boat and I hate it.

I keep getting Nissans as rental cars. Nissans with CVTs as far as the eye can see, all the Nissans, Nissan100years.com. Got an entry-level Buick a few months ago and was thrilled because it had an actual planetary transmission.

I've accepted it as a fact of life that I'm never gonna see a manual rental car in the US but it would be pretty cool to be able to do that... even a sucky car in manual tends to be more fun.