Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Should Macrium Reflect be 900mb in size? Seems huge.
I just grabbed a copy of Reflect Free and it totaled 183MB. 44MB for the program itself and 139MB for the PE components.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Aw yiss

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

How important is the amount of system RAM with an SSD? At work I like to bump people up to 8GB if they're at 4 or 6, plus clone them to an SSD. My boss doesn't like to upgrade the RAM in the 6GB systems, he says that when you get low on RAM and start swapping to disk, it's a non-issue when it's an SSD.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You would have to be a real cheap skate not to take 8GB these days. An SSD is still 50 times slower and as a rule never use swap. If you have to use swap you don't have enough RAM.

I suggest you take RAM out of his machine and see what happens. I am sure he would be most interested in the results.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Access latencies are still a lot longer on SSDs than RAM, afaik. I definitely wouldn't rely on virtual memory to make up for missing RAM.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Wilford Cutlery posted:

How important is the amount of system RAM with an SSD? At work I like to bump people up to 8GB if they're at 4 or 6, plus clone them to an SSD. My boss doesn't like to upgrade the RAM in the 6GB systems, he says that when you get low on RAM and start swapping to disk, it's a non-issue when it's an SSD.

Are you leaving the rust spinners in? If you are, I don't see a major problem with it. If not, you're just lowering the endurance viability of the drive by using swap space on them if it's getting accessed frequently. What are your employees doing that require 8GB of RAM?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

The worst offenders are people who don't close things, so there's a dozen tabs open in Chrome or IE, plus Outlook and several instances of Word, Excel, and of course our CRM. I've seen 6GB systems with Task Manager reporting over 80% memory usage, which is good enough for me to upgrade their RAM.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Optane update: as expected it runs fine as a regular nvme drive on non kaby lake chipsets, running it on a broadwell E3-2609 v4 through a pcie switch with no problems.

The pcb is just the optane IC(s) without much of anything else, could have made it 2260 sized without much effort..

priznat fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 28, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Wonder what they'd be like in Raid 0.
I know, data loss.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Wilford Cutlery posted:

SSD's make 4GB tolerable but I myself find my Windows of at work hitting the limit on 8GB

The hell did you get 6GB systems? Half upgrade some 4GB machines?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

oohhboy posted:

You would have to be a real cheap skate not to take 8GB these days. An SSD is still 50 times slower and as a rule never use swap. If you have to use swap you don't have enough RAM.

I suggest you take RAM out of his machine and see what happens. I am sure he would be most interested in the results.

If you use an *NIX OS, this may be fine (I use both Linux and FreeBSD, and with 32GB of ram, i never hit the swap). However, for windows is a different story. You should let windows have its swap, and you should let windows manage it. It will use it.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Bob Morales posted:

SSD's make 4GB tolerable but I myself find my Windows of at work hitting the limit on 8GB

The hell did you get 6GB systems? Half upgrade some 4GB machines?

Yes, they are leftovers of the old IT regime, 4GB systems with 2GB upgrades added.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

The hell did you get 6GB systems?
I've still got quite a few Nehalem machines here at work that were originally built with 6GB of RAM due to the triple-channel memory architecture. But that's an increasingly rare answer to that question.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

td4guy posted:

I just grabbed a copy of Reflect Free and it totaled 183MB. 44MB for the program itself and 139MB for the PE components.

Wierd. I looked at the installed components and it's 122mb, but the installer downloaded a 900mb file.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Synthbuttrange posted:

Wierd. I looked at the installed components and it's 122mb, but the installer downloaded a 900mb file.

Maybe it had x64/x86 and different OS versions inside?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Probably 20 different languages. :v:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

BobHoward posted:

Consumer SSDs already are that.

SSDs are good for long term storage? Better than HDDs? Somehow I thought they weren't any better.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Historically, SSDs only retain data a year without power, and I haven't heard any changes in that front. I don't know how you would make them last longer.

If you want real long-term storage, you'll go with tapes or optical discs. Future tech would probably use magnetoresistive RAM or some kind of physical latching RAM. All those approaches are still subject to bit-rot, just much less so than hard drives, so some form of ECC would probably make them viable. The only "permanent" storage I know about are write-once optical discs that use a really powerful laser to burn away a coating (compared to changing the coating's physical properties like most recording devices do).

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Cheaping out on ram aside, ssds are great for the randomness of swap.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

SSDs are good for long term storage? Better than HDDs? Somehow I thought they weren't any better.

I was reacting to someone wistfully asking 'why will no one make a SSD optimized for capacity and/or retention over speed?'. Consumer SSDs already are that, about as much as makes sense anyways. You are correct that this still leaves them short of where HDDs are at for offline (no-power) retention time.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

BobHoward posted:

I was reacting to someone wistfully asking 'why will no one make a SSD optimized for capacity and/or retention over speed?'. Consumer SSDs already are that, about as much as makes sense anyways. You are correct that this still leaves them short of where HDDs are at for offline (no-power) retention time.

I wonder if you could make it the size of a 3.5" and use super capacitors for data retention. I see that they use them for power loss scenarios, but I wonder if you could use them for that purpose as well.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have a 960 Evo in the mail right now and plan to put it into an Asus X99 motherboard. There seem to be inconsistent reports on random places on the internet with half complete data of 960 Evos and Pros disappearing on reboots with Asus X99 motherboards. Hardly anyone follows up and all of the posts are months old. There have been firmware updates from both Samsung and Asus which some posts have claimed to make the combination more reliable, and others saying didn't help them. At the very least I'd like to get it working in my setup, ideally I'd like to figure out how to reproduce the problem so maybe if other people have it we could offer them advice for how to fix it. This is a bit premature posting because the drive is going to arrive sometime in the middle of next week and maybe it's a really obscure issue and only 4 people have run into it, but does anyone else have an Asus X99 motherboard and a 960 Evo or Pro?

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.
I use an intel 750 u.2 400gb as main drive so LOLz... but I do have an 8tb seagate drive, so I guess my wonder is how good one of those optane drives would be to speed that bastard up. Seems like a good buy at the cost.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

craig588 posted:

I have a 960 Evo in the mail right now and plan to put it into an Asus X99 motherboard. There seem to be inconsistent reports on random places on the internet with half complete data of 960 Evos and Pros disappearing on reboots with Asus X99 motherboards. Hardly anyone follows up and all of the posts are months old. There have been firmware updates from both Samsung and Asus which some posts have claimed to make the combination more reliable, and others saying didn't help them. At the very least I'd like to get it working in my setup, ideally I'd like to figure out how to reproduce the problem so maybe if other people have it we could offer them advice for how to fix it. This is a bit premature posting because the drive is going to arrive sometime in the middle of next week and maybe it's a really obscure issue and only 4 people have run into it, but does anyone else have an Asus X99 motherboard and a 960 Evo or Pro?

Station Drivers' most recent BIOS updates for ASUS X99 boards has a mid-March '17 BIOS that specifically has "Fixed Samsung device (SM961, printer) issues" in the changelog.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

SlayVus posted:

I wonder if you could make it the size of a 3.5" and use super capacitors for data retention. I see that they use them for power loss scenarios, but I wonder if you could use them for that purpose as well.

Supercaps are quite leaky, as a rule. Wouldn't hold any significant charge for more than a few hours, let alone the years you'd need to enhance long term retention.

Rechargeable battery chemistries also tend to have quite a bit of self-discharge. Maybe pack the thing with a ton of lithium primary cells (primary = non-rechargeable, that kind of lithium chemistry can have a shelf life of like 10 years).

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Double Punctuation posted:

If you want real long-term storage, you'll go with tapes or optical discs.
I'd love to have something with the capacity of LTO7 or even LTO4 (with a modern SATAIII or USB3.1 interface) for a good price but man the prices on the drives and tapes just does not want to come down at ALL for anything that is less than 3yr old and/or in good condition. Yeah you can find LTO4 drives used for $300 or less but they're typically over 5yr old and usually look like they got dropped down the stairs with no chance of warranty on ebay. No way I'll trust that.

The only "permanent" storage I know about are write-once optical discs that use a really powerful laser to burn away a coating (compared to changing the coating's physical properties like most recording devices do).
I miss Magneto-Optical a bit myself. High capacity 30yr media life would be nice to have again. Too bad the price never really came down on those either.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

BobHoward posted:

Supercaps are quite leaky, as a rule. Wouldn't hold any significant charge for more than a few hours, let alone the years you'd need to enhance long term retention.

Rechargeable battery chemistries also tend to have quite a bit of self-discharge. Maybe pack the thing with a ton of lithium primary cells (primary = non-rechargeable, that kind of lithium chemistry can have a shelf life of like 10 years).

You probably wouldn't need to keep the SSD powered in idle all the time. Maybe a few minutes a day?

Also they found keeping it cold makes the data last longer. Gives "Cold Storage" a funny meaning when your archive ssd is in a freezer :v:

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

If you have to have a freezer you may as well hook the thing up to a power source.

It's just not practical to try to make SSDs into an archival medium.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

I'll stick with printing out reams of A4 full of 1's and 0's. :(

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Chisel them into a granite slab imho

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

priznat posted:

Chisel them into a granite slab imho

Granite might weather away.

Nuke binary into the crust.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Mix them into water, then remove them from the water. The water will remember their state forever.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Mix them into water, then remove them from the water. The water will remember their state forever.
Introducing... the new ADATA Homeopathic SSD!

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Serious Hardware / Software Crap › More poo poo that pisses you off: My boss drank our backups

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

I'd love to have something with the capacity of LTO7 or even LTO4 (with a modern SATAIII or USB3.1 interface) for a good price but man the prices on the drives and tapes just does not want to come down at ALL for anything that is less than 3yr old and/or in good condition. Yeah you can find LTO4 drives used for $300 or less but they're typically over 5yr old and usually look like they got dropped down the stairs with no chance of warranty on ebay. No way I'll trust that.
You wind up with problems with LTO technology being a self-obsolescence technology family because the tape drives themselves are only made for so long, not as much as the tapes being the problem.

Honestly, from an archival standpoint, it starts to make sense to use DVD+Rs on gold media at a certain point, and I think US Army uses archival-grade discs that are contractually guaranteed to last at least 50 years. We still have DVD drives from nearly 2 decades ago that work swell. The only problem with that was that most video assets would have to be spanned across several discs and optical media takes way, way too long to write out on multi-petabyte archives.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Are there good reasons not to put archival tiers of storage on the cloud?

Some, but they are few.

You either have a business case that justifies the need for time capsule data storage on long-lasting media and thus have a budget line and a guy, or you don't. Most of us can let engineers at cloud storage providers handle redundant, available, continuously-updated media for you.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

necrobobsledder posted:

You wind up with problems with LTO technology being a self-obsolescence technology family because the tape drives themselves are only made for so long, not as much as the tapes being the problem.
Yeah that is a problem too certainly. I have no clue why the guys behind LTO do that crap other than the obviou$$$$ one of course. No one can seem to compete with them though so everyone has to put up with that BS.

necrobobsledder posted:

Honestly, from an archival standpoint, it starts to make sense to use DVD+Rs on gold media at a certain point
I've heard they're supposed to be legit good but I've personally had dozens die on the shelf in a medical archive setting (small office, not a big lab or hospital) and those mdiscs were no better. I don't trust anything end user writable that is optical anymore. The factory made DVD's and CD's are a different story of course.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
DVD-Rs specifically are worse than DVD+Rs for archival purposes due to more checksum padding used more or less. People used to abuse the extra space for overburning.

Also, back in the early 80s a lot of factory-made CDs like even Bruce Springsteen's CDs are now basically totally defective due to oxidation.

Potato Salad posted:

Are there good reasons not to put archival tiers of storage on the cloud?
#1 is regulatory reasons. For my company involved with the content creators we're not allowed to use certain cloud providers like Amazon potentially because that would be giving money to a content competitor.
Second is cost at scale. $.01 / GB / mo is potentially still too much for a lot of these archives that appear to have a need to archive so much and even with storing pricing being very fierce that they're into the 50 petabyte range or more. 50 PB / mo of coldline storage on GCP is $500k / mo - I think they literally do not have the budget to pay $6 MM / yr for storage and increasing at that because new content growth (think 8k+ pro editing level content, not your pixelated random pirate rips) is outpacing the really anemic decline in storage pricing (besides SSDs). The $.013 / GB cost cited for LTO6 is more like $.0095 / GB when compressed. I don't think Google and friends can really beat LTO to be honest, and so they're probably doing some compression with some extra redundancy to get somewhere between the average case compression scenario and the offering cost.

Furthermore, the pricing that GCP asks is $.01 / GB / mo - you buy the drive and the tapes as capex and the opex is basically facility and staffing costs at that point. Hollywood accounting may make capex easier to justify than opex unlike most corporate environments.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

seravid posted:

Besides being a waste of horsepower, is there anything I should know about using an enterprise SSD in an average joe's PC? I might get my hands on a 785GB Fusion ioDrive2 soon and, while the 500GB EVO 850 I currently have is perfectly fine, I could definitely use the extra storage capacity. Feels a little weird to use such a high-powered drive as a secondary to store games and other random data, though.

I had to tape off a PCIe trace on my intel P3500 to get it to run on my board. It ran fine on X99 without doing that though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Finally got an ssd in. I wasnt using the optical drive anyway so I unplugged that, got a pin adaptor that fed into the drive, cloned with Macrium Reflect then spent ages booting and rebooting trying to hit f2 and f12 in time and finding the right bios boot settings. Eventually it worked.