Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The trick is to estimate your currently desired need, and then build production for ten times that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Red and green science happen really fast for me, like first 15 minutes of the game. Then I go killing some nests while all the red and green (and now also military beakers) sciences are being researched. Then I pop back and set up an oil refinery, which is now all researched, research advanced oil processing first, and set up oil proper, research tanks and then go back to killing poo poo and laying an initial rail network while everything requiring blue research finishes. By the time it's done, the deposits you initially set up will be running low or dry, so plop down a big honking electric furnace site, train in shitloads of ore, train 1000s of out iron/copper plates per minute, win the game.

But really, all of this takes me anywhere from 4 to 40 hours of uh.. gameplay, depending on what else I'm also doing while playing or if I'm experimenting with new ways to do things or just using my standard setup.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Collateral Damage posted:

How do you guys build your mining fields?

A 4x4 setup is the base unit

code:
 xxx xxx xxx xxx
 xxx xxx xxx xxx
 xVxPxVx xVxPxVx
=================
 x^xLx^x x^x x^x
 xxx xxx xxx xxx
 xxx xxx xxx xxx

xxx xxx xxx xxx
 xxx xxx xxx xxx
 xVxPxVx xVxPxVx
=================
 x^x x^x x^xLx^x
 xxx xxx xxx xxx
 xxx xxx xxx xxx
P - poles (not wooden)
L - lamp

keep a space between each block (the extra belt each side helps line up the blueprint) and use red belts for really big fields

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

The trick is to build more and salt the earth beneath you.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Zetsubou-san posted:

A 4x4 setup is the base unit

code:
 xxx xxx xxx xxx
 xxx xxx xxx xxx
 xVxPxVx xVxPxVx
=================
 x^xLx^x x^x x^x
 xxx xxx xxx xxx
 xxx xxx xxx xxx

xxx xxx xxx xxx
 xxx xxx xxx xxx
 xVxPxVx xVxPxVx
=================
 x^x x^x x^xLx^x
 xxx xxx xxx xxx
 xxx xxx xxx xxx
P - poles (not wooden)
L - lamp

keep a space between each block (the extra belt each side helps line up the blueprint) and use red belts for really big fields
I wouldn't want to do that by hand! Single spaced means you can't just drag a line of them out.

I like doing big lines plus two together with a single space in between for poles. Later, I use a blueprint with a substation in the middle.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
=============
XX XX XX XX XX XX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
=============

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Apr 30, 2017

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I do something simple, since the medium power poles work great:
code:
0eNqdmeuOmzAQhd/Fv0HCF2zIq1SrKhd3ZQmcCEjVKOLdSzZStKu67ZnzKyIJHyczzOWQuzoM13iZUl7U7q7S8Zxntft2V3N6z
/vh8d5yu0S1U2mJo6pU3o+PozjE4zKlYz2mnPJ7fZrSMKi1Uimf4i+10+tbpWJe0pLiE/hxcPuer+MhTtsX/oOq1OU8b2ef80PDRqz7St22F79d5JSm7ZyPz9xa
/cE2YraH2fbFHuMpXcf6dYnLeYgFdPtEd2sB5sRCLSy0lbIbGO2laFx1kKLxzHXCzLl/JK6XysRvXt282D/281Iv0z7Pl/O01Ic4LH+vC
/cV7UtouuhMKQjaCJUGXKkVojsc7djuUA5CK1Ta4kq9EO1xdBCiLY7uhGiHo3u2XxZTZ6SVpmGlRgvRBkcbsrGXYyAsNEEInIzc4GRhyeH3rhFWnCBrgZyZ
5awJawwvMdPLyHg3
sw052osRsMICw1ujFU41fKhZYa3hM80Kaw1fGWxLbjrlrAnrS+NNwQZytzHAzt+RKwPC7jlD0RT9REMOSECo09zcQdCGa44I2nJdB0E7ylCUE0eWGSLTU34
CKDnHlpwvhqCjVn5EZ0
/5FIDcNmRjKEag1dS+j+g0lElByJba9hGyoywKQm7JLlnOmqdWfURnoPwJQu64Xl4OQM8s+oBK3zDeBAFrZs1HwIZxJgjYchOymDDvGPeAqGwZ84CAPTfFyz8
/MNYBUdkxzgEB94xxAMChYXwDAtbcPlNMWDCUa0Bkkk/zi8+EA7cPbqy36vnvyu7TnzGV+hmn+ancOeM6G7TR6/obzVKbgg==
(I added some line breaks to not break tables)

Meanwhile, this has helped my input/output immensely. I blueprinted them in red, but if you're using yellow you probably don't have bots yet anyway.
https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comments/3fq3cc/count_perfect_n_to_m_belt_balancers/

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"

Selklubber posted:

How did you build the train on load/offload? I need a good blueprint for my gear factory, doesn't matter if it's ridiculously oversized.

e: Radars are pretty good now, you can use them to monitor distant outposts from the map!

this is our circuit factory unloader/loader.

we also found out today you can put roboport orders down within radar range!

v yes

Dred_furst fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 30, 2017

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Seeing how gently caress-huge the electronic part of a factory can get, I think I might just build a dedicated outpost for it. Ship iron and copper plates in, ship electronic circuits out. I don't want that massive drain on resources sucking up all the stuff on my main bus when I have more useful poo poo being made like stuff to expand the base, ammo, belts etc.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
There's a way better belt balancing method using sensors, you don't need to mess with all that belt hell nonsense (unless you want to!). You can force left/right priority using sensors which you get really early. In a big belt, you can force all material to an outer belt or to side belts where your products are needed.

Place a splitter, then take a green wire and click behind it on the side you want to always keep full, then the one next to it, then the one above the splitter. Set the back two sensors to "Read Belt Contents" and "Hold". Set the front one to "Enable/Disable", enabled condition as anything (the green *), greater than the constant number 12.

This is a right justified example, which means it'll fill up the rightmost belt whenever possible.

You can tile it to wider belts like the left picture. If there's only one input going to two belts, put an additional splitter behind the sensors like the right picture.

I much prefer this method over the "evenly distribute your materials using these 20 splitter setups".

pre:
0eNrNlcFugzAMht/FZ5iA0m3KYS8yVSiA21oKASWmGqp49yXQdaylVdllu4CCHfv3Z5McIVctNoY0g
zgCFbW2IN6PYGmnpfLfuGsQBBBjBQFoWfnVVloO2Uhtm9pwmKNi6AMgXeIHiLgPHotgG0XMaCZ7
k34TAGomJhylDIsu022VO08R3xURQFNbt7fWPrOLFwXQgQidJHDFsalVluNeHqg23qMgU7TEmbOV
521bMpazqwIOZLh1X84CRo9Q6o73pHcw5rAsPc048auqkUayzwVvg/2UD7XMFWYlWf8GwabFb6t
BWWZ7qUuvix0AR2IrlZ24fBlG36ouXZBoFKCx8JVYLz32j51B1FOWVIJI+03f+0Zd8E1utOia7NN6Y
BvNRVkt61L8WJcuqV0wmcP2E+wctXhOf/qbKfsj+QuaHk9K9ev1jSFY/6Z9/7/8cebdAcOkTqfLRSX
hZBJPBFz0wiAjeE7z7tEi7wdjR4uUREuEREt0LCOyCMgdHq5Jw4UhJjdUAAc0dtj+nKZJ+rp6iRP3+3
4CAflX2w==

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Loopoo posted:

Seeing how gently caress-huge the electronic part of a factory can get, I think I might just build a dedicated outpost for it. Ship iron and copper plates in, ship electronic circuits out. I don't want that massive drain on resources sucking up all the stuff on my main bus when I have more useful poo poo being made like stuff to expand the base, ammo, belts etc.
You can also be normal and only build the dozen green circuit assemblers you need for the first 20 hours, that works too.

Outpost circuits are for like tier 3 module farms when you absolutely need your smelters beaconed which happens like gameplay days later from when you first start feeling green circuit pressed.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
You need an absolutely stupid amount of iron in 0.15, which is honestly liberating compared to 0.14 where green chips were always slowing me down.

It's an excuse to get a rail system established asap, which is great because rails own, but mining outposts aren't too tough to set up so it's not a huge problem.

I'm sure once I start trying to get yellow tech going though that green chip siphon is going to come back to haunt me in a big way. 3 blue chips and a speed module for two yellow beakers :cry:

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Bhodi posted:

There's a way better belt balancing method using sensors, you don't need to mess with all that belt hell nonsense (unless you want to!). You can force left/right priority using sensors which you get really early. In a big belt, you can force all material to an outer belt or to side belts where your products are needed.

Place a splitter, then take a green wire and click behind it on the side you want to always keep full, then the one next to it, then the one above the splitter. Set the back two sensors to "Read Belt Contents" and "Hold". Set the front one to "Enable/Disable", enabled condition as anything (the green *), greater than the constant number 12.

This is a right justified example, which means it'll fill up the rightmost belt whenever possible.

You can tile it to wider belts like the left picture. If there's only one input going to two belts, put an additional splitter behind the sensors like the right picture.

I much prefer this method over the "evenly distribute your materials using these 20 splitter setups".

pre:
4CAflX2w==

I saw a video of this and it blew my mind, but the guy (Steejo I think?) did a really poor job of explaining it, and didn't seem to fully understand how it worked himself. Thanks for your written example, this is gonna be a game changer. It'll make balancing so much nicer, and I can insert fully satured belts of plate further down the line to replenish it if I have a big assembly line of gears feeding my belt-making assembly line.

zedprime posted:

You can also be normal and only build the dozen green circuit assemblers you need for the first 20 hours, that works too.

Outpost circuits are for like tier 3 module farms when you absolutely need your smelters beaconed which happens like gameplay days later from when you first start feeling green circuit pressed.

Yeah you're 100% right. I've just got a typical green circuit factory right now with about 15 assemblers that satisfies my factory. My previous late-game factory (which was at around 70 hours?) was awful because circuits were always the bottleneck and I didn't make dedicated outposts, and modules / higher tier circuits require so many green ones, it's unreal. Having a green circuit assembly line in your normal base quickly becomes redundant cause you need way more space to satisfy demand and it's easier just making an outpost far away with plenty of space and shipping it all in. It puts a massive strain on your smelters + bus, so everything else suffers as a result (assembly of day-to-day items like belts, miners, inserters slowed to a crawl cause green circuit line sucked up all the good poo poo).

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Bhodi posted:

pre:
4CAflX2w==

That is actually awesome, and as well, I found out that apparently there's a bug that if you do circuits via a blueprint like this, it ... doesn't actually require the requisite wire, so you never need to build wire. Neat.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Alkydere posted:

Yeah, my friend figured this out in multiplayer and for the longest time I didn't understand what he meant by them "giving sight". Then I realized I could zoom in on our iron mine and was all "WTF?"

radars also concentrate biter attacks to them (noise is a factor in what biters go after first once they're near your base and radars are noisy as poo poo) so they're useful in creating hardpoints where biter attacks are focused on a big block of turrets instead of random wall sections :eng101:

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

DelphiAegis posted:

That is actually awesome, and as well, I found out that apparently there's a bug that if you do circuits via a blueprint like this, it ... doesn't actually require the requisite wire, so you never need to build wire. Neat.

Not actually a bug. That's a feature, to make up for the fact that when you deconstruct a circuit, you don't get wire back.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
What are people's solar farm blueprint builds? I have one that's great, and allows me plop them down from the map, but doesn't allow me to clear the full area remotely. I need something a bit smaller that I can stagger without having to go down there myself and clear the area.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I'd love to use you guys' blueprints...is there anywhere where people are uploading them? If people could provide a link then the thread wouldn't get filled with strings.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Finally about to leave Goon Island :ohdear: :

It's been a really fun map. Thanks for sharing it, Onean :)

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Aww, Kovarex enrichment breaks the total produced stat for U-235.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Setup my first oil outpost, how can I best utilize pumps to suck my storage tanks dry as fast as possible? As it's working right now, with one fluid pump on the output of my storage tank farm (10 tanks), it's still taking minutes to fill up my fluid wagons, even though my storage farm is quite full. Throughput is too little.

What can I do with pipes / pumps to speed this up?

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Loopoo posted:

Setup my first oil outpost, how can I best utilize pumps to suck my storage tanks dry as fast as possible? As it's working right now, with one fluid pump on the output of my storage tank farm (10 tanks), it's still taking minutes to fill up my fluid wagons, even though my storage farm is quite full. Throughput is too little.

What can I do with pipes / pumps to speed this up?

I honestly haven't gotten to doing this yet but you mentioned "one". Maybe the problem is embarrassingly parallel.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

crazysim posted:

I honestly haven't gotten to doing this yet but you mentioned "one". Maybe the problem is embarrassingly parallel.

I added a bunch more, but it doesn't increase how quickly oil gets sucked out. It's quite frustrating, I've always had difficulty when it comes to fluids. I'd imagine one pump could quickly empty a storage tank, but either I'm wrong or I'm doing something wrong.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
You can't just parallelize the pumps, you have to parallelize the output chain as well.

In other words, if you have 3 pumps per side feeding into one line to your tanks, just one pump is going to work at any one time, as the others are backed up from the saturation of the line of the first pump.

If you have 3 pumps per side going directly to 3 storage tanks, that should suck the bastard dry before you can blink.

Edit: This goes for loading as well.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Each tank can handle 3 pumps total, and you probably don't want them all pumping directly into the same pipe. I don't know if this is optimal or not (I'm not using enough oil yet for it to matter) but here's my first attempt at an unload station for .15.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
That's probably close to good, though I'd completely isolate the input from each one from pump to tank. Makes it harder though.

In other news, longreach makes interacting with the map super fun. You can ctrl-click chests/objects to get their loot from the map view, and place/rotate things directly via map; but to open an object or pick it up requires you to physically see it.

It's made the game very interesting since I don't necessarily have to ferry stuff ALL the way now.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Alright, I've been looking around and I haven't been able to find a working calculator that suits my needs, nor can I work out the math myself due to basic stupidity, so I'll ask here to hope someone has a good calc/brain:

How many of each assembler do I need for a Rocket per Minute, assuming 4 Prod3s each and 4 Speed3 Beacons each (and 4 Prod3s in the silo of course)?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
We really need to set up a Goon Google Doc with blueprint strings.

One folder for rails, one for smelter, one for dick butt shaped vanity projects.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

bitterandtwisted posted:

Finally about to leave Goon Island :ohdear: :

It's been a really fun map. Thanks for sharing it, Onean :)

I've been enjoying it as well! Had to pipe up some light oil to make flamethrower turrets to cope with all of the incoming hordes. I love the flamethrower turrets.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

RyokoTK posted:

You need an absolutely stupid amount of iron in 0.15, which is honestly liberating compared to 0.14 where green chips were always slowing me down.

It's an excuse to get a rail system established asap, which is great because rails own, but mining outposts aren't too tough to set up so it's not a huge problem.

I'm sure once I start trying to get yellow tech going though that green chip siphon is going to come back to haunt me in a big way. 3 blue chips and a speed module for two yellow beakers :cry:

Yeah, in 0.14 and before it was "You need iron to start and build your infrastructure, but afterwards everything is increasingly circuit hungry."

In 0.15 it's "OH GOD, MORE, MORE, MORE IRON! WE NEED MORE IRON, MORE STEEL...oh, right, and of course circuits too." poo poo like building assemblers for blue science and gun turrets for military eats up iron, and purple/production devours steel for pumpjacks and electric furnaces.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Evilreaver posted:

Alright, I've been looking around and I haven't been able to find a working calculator that suits my needs, nor can I work out the math myself due to basic stupidity, so I'll ask here to hope someone has a good calc/brain:

How many of each assembler do I need for a Rocket per Minute, assuming 4 Prod3s each and 4 Speed3 Beacons each (and 4 Prod3s in the silo of course)?
Hmmm, yeah, probably easy enough. I chronically ignore beacons and don't have a save that would make it simple to slap together to get the raw stats of an assembler. Can you take a screenshot of the mouseover stats of an assembler and a silo under the modules/beacons you want?

e. nm I found a save with beacon capacity and got the numbers I wanted, prelim numbers incoming...

zedprime fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 30, 2017

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I picked this up on a whim because I had been playing Idle Factory (the flash game) while I was at work, and then saw this pop up in the recently updated thing on Steam and immediately purchased it. I'm loving it so far, and I'm basically trying to teach myself rather than look up proper optimal layouts and stuff.

That said, two questions:
1) Most people streaming seem to be running the 15.5 beta, is it advised I update to that from what appears to be a version 14 build Steam installed?
2) I can't seem to get my regular electrical inserters to take things from a belt or a box and put it into an Assembler (I'm just starting the automation process). Is there a specific point it has to be next to for that? There aren't any directional arrows to clue me in like other equipment. Do they have to be long inserters because the assembler are 2x2? Do I need to use something other than an inserter?

Thanks.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Zaodai posted:

I picked this up on a whim because I had been playing Idle Factory (the flash game) while I was at work, and then saw this pop up in the recently updated thing on Steam and immediately purchased it. I'm loving it so far, and I'm basically trying to teach myself rather than look up proper optimal layouts and stuff.

1) Most people streaming seem to be running the 15.5 beta, is it advised I update to that from what appears to be a version 14 build Steam installed?
2) I can't seem to get my regular electrical inserters to take things from a belt or a box and put it into an Assembler (I'm just starting the automation process). Is there a specific point it has to be next to for that? There aren't any directional arrows to clue me in like other equipment. Do they have to be long inserters because the assembler are 2x2? Do I need to use something other than an inserter?

Thanks.

1) yes
2) Not sure exactly what you mean but stuff should look like this
pre:

xx
 xx
 ^
====
x is assembler, ^ is inserter, = is belt (or box). So, no space between assembler and inserter. If that doesn't work, take a screenshot. Make sure you've hit alt so you're showing extra info.

e: other things to look at - have you got a recipe set up in the assembler? Has the inserter grabbed something that doesn't match what the assembler needs (in this case it'll just be stuck with nowhere to put the item it's holding down)?

awesmoe fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 30, 2017

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Zaodai posted:

Thanks.

For the "not looking up layouts", kudos to you. I did that my first playthrough, then afterwards I started watching videos and picking up some neat tricks to employ in my next factory. I got to enjoy the pure bliss and ignorance of being a rookie, and then opened up Pandora's box of all the vastly more efficient ways to tackle problems I was using spaghetti to deal with.

1) I'd recommend updating. It's a beta, but the devs are awesome in the sense that it's very very stable. No corrupted saves, or game-breaking bugs. A lot of stuff changes in .15, so it's better for you to get to grips with them now rather than deal with .14 then have to get used to a bunch of new poo poo when you update to .15. Plus, the UI changes are heavenly good.

2) Is the assembler set to produce a recipe? If so, is the thing you're trying to insert into it a required resource? Finally, pressing alt on your keyboard shows direction arrows which tells you where inserters pick up from and where they put down. Straight line = pick up zone, arrow = insert zone. If your belt is placed 1 space away (so assembler, blank space, belt) you only need normal inserters. If it's placed two spaces away (assembler, blank space, blank space, belt), you need a long handed inserter. I'm sure you've just got your inserters reversed though.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Alkydere posted:

Yeah, in 0.14 and before it was "You need iron to start and build your infrastructure, but afterwards everything is increasingly circuit hungry."

In 0.15 it's "OH GOD, MORE, MORE, MORE IRON! WE NEED MORE IRON, MORE STEEL...oh, right, and of course circuits too." poo poo like building assemblers for blue science and gun turrets for military eats up iron, and purple/production devours steel for pumpjacks and electric furnaces.

My expensive recipes railworld game has been a mix as I've advanced. Iron was definitely the main limiting factor up to military science, but with blue and production science my copper requirements shot up and with hi-tech science I'm definitely more in need of circuits than anything else. I've only got a token amount of processing unit production as is and I'm going to need a spectacular amount of copper to get it revved up, as well as for module 3s and beacons.

All the advanced circuit production is also pretty hard on plastic, but oil seems less problematic than before so I haven't even needed to ship any by rail yet unlike 0.14. Not sure if I just lucked out, I had a very large starting deposit. More iron is also going to be a thing for blue belts, but that's more a luxury than a requirement.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

metasynthetic posted:

I spent hours today testing 2x2 nuclear reactor designs in sandbox mode. I came to the conclusion that the way heat pipes and exchangers work is hosed.
I built on your design; I have no idea if it's the most efficient but it provides way more power than i can use at present. The green circuit activates the long inserters on <2k, and I was worried about not having enough fuel but a tiny patch of uranium seems to produce enough fuel for me at present. I think buffering the steam is absolutely the way to go for nuclear.

I also wayyyyy underestimated the amount of steel and copper this would take to construct, good thing I had an entire chest full since I haven't gotten to production science packs yet.

I pulled the ratios from here https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comments/67xgge/nuclear_ratios/ but there wasn't enough water so I pumped it in from both sides, doubling it to 10 pumps. I also connected up all the storage from the arms so they'll auto level any minor amount.

4 Reactors
48 Heat exchangers
10 Offshore pumps
83 Steam turbines

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 30, 2017

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
I just got my purple science set up and realized it's insanely steel hungry... I did the math, and I think in order to keep my standard .75 science pack per second production rate with level 2 assemblers, purple science consumes 12 steel per second... Which means 105 goddamn furnaces making steel? :suicide: Am I right about that? I'm gonna have to claim some new land...

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The Assemblers are already making things successfully, I had just been feeding them by hand like a bum. The inserters were set up in the correct direction, and if I removed the assembler, they'd happily put stuff on the ground in the slot the Assembler previously occupied. I'll double check my recipes, I might have been putting raw materials in where a constructed component need to be, I don't fully remember.

Oh, and can I take items directly from one assembler to another? I was trying that with Iron Gears to go into my Red Science assembler and it didn't seem to like that either.

Thanks for the advice on 15.5, I'll go ahead and update that now.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Zaodai posted:

The Assemblers are already making things successfully, I had just been feeding them by hand like a bum. The inserters were set up in the correct direction, and if I removed the assembler, they'd happily put stuff on the ground in the slot the Assembler previously occupied. I'll double check my recipes, I might have been putting raw materials in where a constructed component need to be, I don't fully remember.

Oh, and can I take items directly from one assembler to another? I was trying that with Iron Gears to go into my Red Science assembler and it didn't seem to like that either.

Thanks for the advice on 15.5, I'll go ahead and update that now.
I'd play the single player mode; even though it's very outdated it'll introduce you to the basics of using inserters, belts, and constructors. It also gives you a few layout ideas since in one of the levels you have to reconstruct part of a base.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

super fart shooter posted:

I just got my purple science set up and realized it's insanely steel hungry... I did the math, and I think in order to keep my standard .75 science pack per second production rate with level 2 assemblers, purple science consumes 12 steel per second... Which means 105 goddamn furnaces making steel? :suicide: Am I right about that? I'm gonna have to claim some new land...

I haven't gotten to purple/yellow science yet but it seems like it absolutely devours your raw resources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

vOv posted:

I haven't gotten to purple/yellow science yet but it seems like it absolutely devours your raw resources.

Yeah, Purple (Production) Science takes a pumpjack (5 steel), an electric furnace (10 steel) and an electric engine (another steel) so each purple beaker takes 16 steel to make. Not to mention a whole lotta other stuffs.