Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nephzinho posted:

Finally got started on Persona 5, almost to the end of the castle, and a random heavenly punisher encounter proceeds to back to back AOE my entire team to death without me being able to move or announcing a Charge like the miniboss did, giving me my first game over and sending me alllll the way back to the miniboss version of this fucker. I really should've backtracked and saved at some point but didn't want to deal with everything respawning.

Welcome to Shin Megami Tensei, motherfucker :toughguy:.

Seriously though, never pass up a chance to save in an SMT game. Remember the words; Save Often, Save Now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Nephzinho posted:

Finally got started on Persona 5, almost to the end of the castle, and a random heavenly punisher encounter proceeds to back to back AOE my entire team to death without me being able to move or announcing a Charge like the miniboss did, giving me my first game over and sending me alllll the way back to the miniboss version of this fucker. I really should've backtracked and saved at some point but didn't want to deal with everything respawning.

There is savepoints every few steps and shortcuts back to previous savepoints.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

There is savepoints every few steps and shortcuts back to previous savepoints.

I had crossed over into the tower and the previous zone had respawned, will have to pay better attention to zone lines.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Nephzinho posted:

I had crossed over into the tower and the previous zone had respawned, will have to pay better attention to zone lines.

I'm pretty sure one of the first doors inside the tower is an elevator back to the very entrance.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Palace 1 is definitely the worst about that. That archangel (?), is a huge pain if you don't ambush it, and even then I needed to put him to sleep. Further on surprise wipes by damage alone weren't really a thing unless I got really unlucky with crits or weaknesses, and if you max a lot of party ranks you'll get plenty of safety measures.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Re: PREY talk. What KILLS me in lots of AAA console games is the way they use the screen space to display in-game text. So in stuff like the Witcher 3 and Prey, if you pick up a book, it displays the text in a tiny cropped box in the centre of the screen. On a 27" HD screen from five or six feet this can be fairly difficult to read. It'd be great if they just spread the text across the entire screen and made the fonts bigger!

:corsair:

*Flashbacks to reading text on a CRT in the original 360 version of Dead Rising*

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Re: PREY talk. What KILLS me in lots of AAA console games is the way they use the screen space to display in-game text. So in stuff like the Witcher 3 and Prey, if you pick up a book, it displays the text in a tiny cropped box in the centre of the screen. On a 27" HD screen from five or six feet this can be fairly difficult to read. It'd be great if they just spread the text across the entire screen and made the fonts bigger!

*Flashbacks to reading text on a CRT in the original 360 version of Dead Rising*
No way. One of the great and noticeable things about this generation is that nobody does giant text on the screen like that anymore because it's a better experience for 99% of people. If you're playing six feet away from a 27 inch screen that's on you.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Well, Nioh is a bit good, isn't it?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The first palace was by far the hardest imo

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Just seen a report over the "Western Developers/Japanese developers" discussion that took place in here recently.

It was a bad discussion and not to mention badly handled. Please can we not go over that sort of topic again. It is racist to delineate all of the games not made in the west as either 'Japanese' or 'tits and rear end cartoons'. There are many games developers and creating that sort of rift is ridiculous when you could say that Paradox the developer is completely different to EA Sports.

It's even more ridiculous when one of the greatest games ever made is Super Mario Brothers 3, a perfect platformer yet to be bested and is Japanese.

Please do not bring begin that topic of discussion again.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Change your name back

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Nephzinho posted:

One of the first Palaces had some random bullshit encounter that did a two-hit attack on Protagonist, which critted and dazed him, and then on its One More or whatever it turned right around and did the same goddamn thing and killed him. It was real cool and a fun reminder of what SMT is all about.

Actually that incident got me thinking about picking up SMT IV again once I'm done with P5, too.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Sakurazuka posted:

Change your name back

Yeah. Like, immediately.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

When you are on internet fast enough to Remote Play Doom. :magical:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Smart Dreck posted:

Just seen a report over the "Western Developers/Japanese developers" discussion that took place in here recently.

It was a bad discussion and not to mention badly handled. Please can we not go over that sort of topic again. It is racist to delineate all of the games not made in the west as either 'Japanese' or 'tits and rear end cartoons'. There are many games developers and creating that sort of rift is ridiculous when you could say that Paradox the developer is completely different to EA Sports.

It's even more ridiculous when one of the greatest games ever made is Super Mario Brothers 3, a perfect platformer yet to be bested and is Japanese.

You're given a $60 million to spend on producing The Zybourne Clock on the stipulation that you have to hire either Idea Factory or PopCap to create it, which do you choose and why?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Idea Factory for the eventual Neptunia tie in

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Sakurazuka posted:

Change your name back

Wendell posted:

Yeah. Like, immediately.

:love:

Neo Rasa posted:

You're given a $60 million to spend on producing The Zybourne Clock on the stipulation that you have to hire either Idea Factory or PopCap to create it, which do you choose and why?

Popcap because I would make the game a fusion of Peggle and Zuma's revenge.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

There's a system-wide button combo (PS button + Square I think) that lets you zoom in on the screen, it's helpful for stuff like this.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

There's a system-wide button combo (PS button + Square I think) that lets you zoom in on the screen, it's helpful for stuff like this.

It needs to be activated from settings first. It's a neat little thing and i use it every now and then

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Whoa, thanks! That's excellent.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Nephzinho posted:

This happened to me except it was because the attack that was supposed to knock it down missed, and then it attacked twice in a row with no crit/knockdown that should have given it a second attack. Instant loss. Really loving out of place with everything else in the dungeon. I'm just at the fourth dungeon now but still haven't died or seen anything that bullshit since, so if you're on normal you at least don't have to worry about that being a really regular thing in the near future. Do go back to save rooms frequently though.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Neo Rasa posted:

Idea Factory, 60 mil boobs.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Sometimes I wonder what if Idea Factory got something like FFXV's budget and how they would manage to squander it or gently caress it up. Then again they already stretch tiny budgets across entire decades.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It would be the greatest game of all time.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Neo Rasa posted:

Trick question, you put up a kickstarter asking for an ADDITIONAL 60 million for the game, promising whatever you think people might want then spend the next decade pretending to be working on the game before disappearing with the money.

ULL NEVER RID ME
Sep 20, 2012
Hey sorry to have to ask this, I looked over the list of couch coop games in the op but I'm wondering, what are some decent games that have local and online multiplayer compatibility? like in rocket league where 2 local players can queue up for matches online. thanks.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I can't read poo poo in Nioh, the text is tiny as hell from across the room.

quote:

SMW is better. Bionic Commando is even betterer.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 30, 2017

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
The text in FFXV is tiny as well. They're fixing it in an upcoming update though.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

VideoGames posted:

okay dad. Ever heard of Knack by the way?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Renoistic posted:

The text in FFXV is tiny as well. They're fixing it in an upcoming update though.
FF15 has got to be the most patched non-multiplayer console game ever. I just saw the other day that they added yet another Pro operating mode, for "stability", though I am unclear how that differs from the "light" option.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

RBA Starblade posted:

SMW is better. Bionic Commando is even betterer.

Super joe bows down to mario 3

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Samurai Sanders posted:

FF15 has got to be the most patched non-multiplayer console game ever. I just saw the other day that they added yet another Pro operating mode, for "stability", though I am unclear how that differs from the "light" option.

There was nobway to play the game without horrible frame pacing on pro so they probably fixed that somehow

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Samurai Sanders posted:

With the "stability" mode the game basically runs like it did before they made the light option run at 60 frames per second (ie become nearly unplayable). Stability is definitely the one to use IMHO.
They also added some new tunes to the MP3 player, and introduced time quests with scoreboards, that you can do to unlock some new items.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I want David Cage to make Zybourne Clock.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Oh hell yeah.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Imagine four QTEs on the edge of a cliff

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I haven't played of his games since Heavy Rain, did they ever have branching QTEs with different good outcomes or anything interesting like that?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I don't know about Cage's games but you can actually gently caress up some of the QTEs in Until Dawn and get someone killed.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

All I ever remember from his games are the unintentional comedy parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Samurai Sanders posted:

I haven't played of his games since Heavy Rain, did they ever have branching QTEs with different good outcomes or anything interesting like that?

Pretty much every other dev that tried a similar style of game to his made a much better game than he could ever manage to produce.