Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

quote:

EO5 made a merciful change to how a bunch of conditional drops work: for any conditional whose condition is "Kill while under the effect of this ailment/bind," if you kill that enemy with the skill that inflicts that disable, it will give you the conditional.

I believe it was EOU that actually made the change. Either that or EO2U. At any rate, it's nice for giving you one last shot at the conditional if needed.

Can't say I was fond of the crystal gimmick in my playthrough. It's not really one of the more interesting gimmicks EO has employed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

When you were getting the explorers guild new floor dialogue, the portrait picture is of the bartender instead of Edgar.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Blademaster_Aio posted:

When you were getting the explorers guild new floor dialogue, the portrait picture is of the bartender instead of Edgar.

Fixed.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015

Although next time, you would be wise to heed the ancient Japanese proverb... phone first!
...Have you considered becoming a professional writer? Because this is top-notch dialogue. You could write a book!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Dr. Fetus posted:

I believe it was EOU that actually made the change. Either that or EO2U. At any rate, it's nice for giving you one last shot at the conditional if needed.

Can't say I was fond of the crystal gimmick in my playthrough. It's not really one of the more interesting gimmicks EO has employed.

I liked it. It's simple and makes you think about what you're doing. I suppose this wasn't exactly as clear as it could've been, but each swing of the pickaxe takes time, like taking a step. So you have to to care not to get cornered.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Clarste posted:

I liked it. It's simple and makes you think about what you're doing. I suppose this wasn't exactly as clear as it could've been, but each swing of the pickaxe takes time, like taking a step. So you have to to care not to get cornered.

Actually it was pretty clear because of those F.O.E fights Ragnar kept getting into.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I would completely love it if there was some EO/REIS crossover where you could party with the lizardmen until they let you pass.

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016

Clarste posted:

One of the bar people talked about it, so there really isn't any surprises there. In any case I'm not really fond of "no take backs until you leave the floor" gimmicks; having to restart the entire floor just because I messed up something is just not fun.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Update 26. Goat-kun forever.

I apologize for the two-week delay, but as you might be able to tell from my avatar, I was busy with Persona 5 when I wasn't busy with constant loving end-of-semester deadlines.

Also Clarste and alcharagia were busy with P5 too.

(as is I'm pretty sure law somewhere, I am mandated to state my choice of romance in P5: Futaba)

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I'm midway through P5, just starting Okumura's Palace, and I've been dead torn between Futaba and Hifumi but Haru might also be a come-from-behind competitor?!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Makoto though?

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Is Gram secretly accompanying the exploration party?

She has lines... she comments on Kaelin's character development and a little after that.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Blademaster_Aio posted:

Is Gram secretly accompanying the exploration party?

She has lines... she comments on Kaelin's character development and a little after that.

Ah, for gently caress's sake. I've done that far too many times for me to be comfortable with the fact that it happens, and this is the first time it's gone into a live update. Fixing it right now.

e: it's fixed

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Ah, it's another one of those updates where I suspect alcharagia was commentating while drunk. Or perhaps just commentating while alcharagia. As I have no actual confirmed 'alcharagia was definitely commentating while drunk' updates it's hard for me to make an educated guess.

Good to see the LP climbed out of the P5 pit, though!

vdate fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 21, 2017

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I've never consumed alcohol in my life

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Option B it is, then!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Now all you need are some surprise slippery floors so you hit a crystal when you're not expecting to!

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Glazius posted:

Now all you need are some surprise slippery floors so you hit a crystal when you're not expecting to!

Believe it or not, there is a slippery floor gimmick in EO5. However, it's not in the 4th Stratum, and it's...not exactly slippery floors.

That's for the future, though.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Glazius posted:

If I'm understanding the update correctly you have to interact with the crystal to strike it, rather than just attempt to move into it.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Update 27. Honestly not sure why I enabled exception handlers when I'm not gonna be doing any debugging on my recording 3DS. Actually, I don't expect anything to crash at all, really.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Space-time collapsing. Truly a terrifying experience for video game characters.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Artificer posted:

Space-time collapsing. Truly a terrifying experience for video game characters.

Very much so. Poor bastards see that kinda stuff more often than they should.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Whatever the gently caress happened to Golem here is very much a fluke. I refought him after the recording to make sure it wasn't some stupid thing like "Golem needs the Golem Legs to actually do anything," and ended up having a much harder time because he actually kept doing real things with his turns.

Clarste posted:

The boss is actually hard, that was just a weird lucky streak or I don't know.

This is from a while back, but I took a look at Golem's AI to see what was going on. And yes, a weird lucky streak is exactly what happened.

Golem has 2 phases, above 51% HP, and below it. (Body part HP doesn’t matter, all their AI does is provide feedback to the Golem Body, telling them if they’re alive or not.)

Now if Golem is in its first phase, and only has 1 body part missing, (Assuming a body part wasn't somehow killed before Explosion was cast, screwing with the attack order) it’ll try to attack in this order (All body parts result in it using Explosion):

Turn 1: Legs
Turn 2: Arms
Turn 3: Head

When it reaches a turn it doesn’t have the body part for, it’ll have a 30% chance to cast Call Allies, or a 70% chance to rejoin with a Mini-Golem. (Though if it tries to combine with a Mini-Golem that no longer exists, it’ll just waste its turn. Also in order to successfully Combine, the Mini-Golem’s AI has to agree to it first.)

If it has 2 body parts missing, it'll alternate between Call Allies/Combine or attacking.

Okay, so on turn 5 of Ragnar's fight, Golem was trying to use a head skill, but had no head, so it settled for Call Allies.

On turn 7, Ragnar killed the legs, so it just decided to go for Call Allies since it was missing 2 body parts.

When Golem’s HP falls below 51%, things change.

Its AI now operates on a roulette, with each attack having an equal chance to come out. However, it can’t use attacks from the same body part 2 turns in a row. So it bounces to the other 2 body parts for its roulette instead. If it chooses a body part that doesn’t exist, it just casts Call Allies (Guaranteed to do so if no Mini-Golems are on the field. If Mini-Golems are on the field, it’ll cast Call Allies if no Mini-Golem wants to Combine.) This means a situation could arise where Golem keeps picking body parts it doesn't have if it's missing 2 of them, meaning it'll do nothing but waste its turns. The chance of that happening for an extended period of time is very unlikely.

Turn 8 is when he got Golem’s HP below 51%, and that’s why Golem started freaking out. He kept winning a coin flip throughout all those turns, so he got extremely lucky. (What happened during that portion of the fight had a 6.25% chance of happening.) Also that Mini-Golem opted to spend its turns attacking, so that’s why it didn’t combine.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

This worm that can be insta-killed, is it the source of the 9999HP ghosts that cause 9999 damage?

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Blademaster_Aio posted:

This worm that can be insta-killed, is it the source of the 9999HP ghosts that cause 9999 damage?

Correct. Echo-Chasing Worms have >9999 HP, which gets capped at 9999 when using Zombie Powder.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh, there's really only one class with much access to instant death?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Two classes. There are only two instant death skills in the game, and they're on different classes. Necromancers get Zombie Powder, which is a spell that just does Instant Death at a base 80% chance at max rank. Reapers get Scythe of Death, which is an attack that has an additional chance of Instant Death (50% at max rank). However, Scythe of Death also has this thing where it gets a huge boost against sleeping targets, ending up with a 250% base chance of instant death. It also does massive damage, but honestly when I've played around with it in random battles I've never seen it do that damage because the targets always dies from the instant death effect first.

Heck, 250% is high enough that it wouldn't be especially unlikely to kill FOEs that are resistant to Instant Death, if you're just using it for the damage or whatever.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 11:17 on May 1, 2017

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016
Also, eventually Cestus gets a weapon that grants a skill which inflicts instant death. And by "eventually" I mean "a good while into postgame".

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Update 28. Contains Atlus referencing a fairly long-standing, international EO meme.

Rea fucked around with this message at 18:54 on May 6, 2017

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

I'm Doctor Shibbo, and this is Jackass.
Nap Ghost
Oh finally one of these that I know!

Warlock's ultimate armor is called Ninety-Three most likely as a reference to the Thelemic greeting - that whole thing Crowley founded. "Do as thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law; love is the Law, love under will." The key words there being "will" and "love" respectively.

In Greek, the word for "will" is Thelema, and the version of "love" used for this phrase is Agape. When combined with isopephy (assigning numerical values to the letters), the sum of Thelema and Agape each is...93.

This has become a shorthand for greeting both in person and in writing for members of the OTO and other Thelemic practices.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Oh. Huh. Thank you for the answer

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
That is simultaneously interesting and something I would've never guessed on my own. I've taken the liberty of adding it to the update.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Please tell me there's a FOE squirrel.
Please tell me Atlus actually made a FOE squirrel for this game.

Because that gimmick is so spitefully :atlus: it's completely awesome in the Atlus infuriating way and it deserves another go.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

:allears: :allears: :allears:

This is a delightful update.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Yeah sure I'll ship it.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
Someone at Altus heard there were people that do not yet hate squirrels.
They decided to change that.

gently caress squirrels...

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
If you didn't pet those squirrels you had no heart and no survival instincts. How fun they just skip any semblance of innocence this time.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The most glorious dick move in the game. And of course, Atlus made them chest monsters. I wiped to that encounter, but I couldn't be mad since I was laughing so hard. :allears:

Incidentally, Blaze Squirrels only use Wick if they're the last enemy alive in the battle. If you take them out first, you can avoid having your threads burned up.

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016
The grasshoppers will always alternate between Vengeance Shield and Grass Shield, though I can't recall which one it uses first. Poison and Arm Bind is super-effective against these things regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
You were making a big deal about "memes" so I thought it'd be something that didn't originate directly in the games, like that FOE song people love to reference

Maybe it's due to not really reading due to poor Japanese comprehension but I never actually noticed that the squirrels' attack was destroying Ariadne Threads.
But I did avoid this locked area for quite a while since it's pretty long to get to the end and the squirrels' fire attack does a pretty decent amount of damage on its own.

Omobono posted:

Please tell me there's a FOE squirrel.

A really bad random encounter can be worse than an FOE since it can't be as easily avoided.

Back when I was a kid I would use this RPG editor to make "intentionally bad" joke games and several times put an impossibly hard monster (with a small/cute sprite even) inside an ordinary looking treasure chest in a dungeon. So I love it whenever a commercial game does a similar thing.

• Locked thread