Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Carbon dioxide posted:

I don't know if this should go in the maps or in the graphs & charts thread so I'll post it in both.

What the gently caress is going on in South Carolina, Montana, and Mississippi?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Blue Footed Booby posted:

What the gently caress is going on in South Carolina, Montana, and Mississippi?!
I like how you are not questioning Wyoming.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Carbon dioxide posted:

I don't know if this should go in the maps or in the graphs & charts thread so I'll post it in both.

Georgia joins Florida as America's wang. Texas is the rear end in a top hat with hemorrhoids, making LA, MS, and AL the taint. Makes sense.

edit:

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Montana is definitely because they have that "no speed limit during the day" law. MS, and SC are probably because of really lovely roads, and it's full of drunk rednecks.

Bird in a Blender has a new favorite as of 21:38 on Apr 28, 2017

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Carbon dioxide posted:

Ahh, so the poorest states didn't just vote for Trump, they're also drunk/poo poo drivers.

Jesus In A Can
Jul 2, 2007
From Concentrate
Living in MS for grad school, can confirm that no one knows how to drive here. No blinkers, merging abilities, or desire to drive within 20 mph either side of the limit.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Ahh, so the poorest states didn't just vote for Trump, they're also drunk/poo poo drivers.

Poor states have poor infrastructure and poo poo cars, who would have thunk

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Pretty useless because it's not on per million miles driven basis. And not choropleth.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
I'd be interested to see how much Wyoming fluctuates. I figure one head-on collision with fatalities would skew their numbers pretty strongly

E: I'm Ohio east of West Virginia

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
Some of it probably has to do with people driving in city traffic generally moving slower so accidents are less likely to be fatal to people in either car, as opposed to highways or stretches of open road.

It doesn't explain everything on the graph though.

Now I have a hankering to pick the Ask Me About Being a Traffic Engineer thread back up again.

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.

Bird in a Blender posted:

Montana is definitely because they have that "no speed limit during the day" law. MS, and SC are probably because of really lovely roads, and it's full of drunk rednecks.

No longer true, actually - while Montana has on the books the "General Speed Law" that used to govern highway speeds (that is, a speeding ticket can be written for any vehicle travelling at 'speeds unsafe for the conditions'), there is a day-and-night speed limit on all highways and interstates now. Bear in mind this was only brought about when federal road funding was threatened to be revoked unless a limit was put in place.

Instead, blame should be cast on Montana's incredibly lax DUI laws - a DUI is not a felony offense until the fourth within five years.

As an additional fun fact, open container laws weren't state-wide until about 2009 - prior to that, it was per-city or per-county.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

CapitanGarlic posted:

No longer true, actually - while Montana has on the books the "General Speed Law" that used to govern highway speeds (that is, a speeding ticket can be written for any vehicle travelling at 'speeds unsafe for the conditions'), there is a day-and-night speed limit on all highways and interstates now. Bear in mind this was only brought about when federal road funding was threatened to be revoked unless a limit was put in place.

Instead, blame should be cast on Montana's incredibly lax DUI laws - a DUI is not a felony offense until the fourth within five years.

As an additional fun fact, open container laws weren't state-wide until about 2009 - prior to that, it was per-city or per-county.

Isn't there still a state that doesn't have open container laws? I want to say...Arkansas?

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

trapped mouse posted:

Isn't there still a state that doesn't have open container laws? I want to say...Arkansas?

I thought it was Texas where everybody in the car could be actively drinking so long as the driver wasn't.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Nuevo posted:

I thought it was Texas where everybody in the car could be actively drinking so long as the driver wasn't.

It was the last time I was there, but that was years ago

Edit: whoops, looks like it wasn't legal then either

feller
Jul 5, 2006

trapped mouse posted:

It's Missouri, and it's good.

putrid aidsman
Apr 13, 2017

by Lowtax

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Synagogues of Satan is a GREAT band name.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Imagine four balls on the edge of a cliff…

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

flosofl posted:

Synagogues of Satan is a GREAT band name.

Orphaned Land cover band?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbCliCQnBUo

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Bird in a Blender posted:

Montana is definitely because they have that "no speed limit during the day" law.

No, they do not. They haven't had that for years. The law was that you had to keep to a "reasonable and prudent" speed, until 1998 when a guy ticketed for going 102mph appealed all the way to the state supreme court which ruled that that was unconstitutionally vague. So for the time between that decision and when the legislature passed a 75mph limit the next year, Montana had no speed limit at all, although you could still get ticketed for reckless or careless driving.

And as for "because," Montana's roads were safer during the "reasonable and prudent" era.

http://mediatrackers.org/montana/2014/12/02/montanas-speed-limit-make-highways-safer

CapitanGarlic posted:

Again, no. When the Feds passed the 55mph limit in 1974 and threatened states with pulling their highway funding unless they implemented that limit, Montana did so, but set the fine for speeding at $5. Drivers would just keep $5s in their glove compartments to hand over to the cop along with their driver's license. When the Federal limit was repealed in 1995, Montana reverted to the previous 'reasonable and prudent' standard. Then that law was ruled unconstitutional in 1998, and the legislature set a numeric limit the following year because the alternative was no speed limit at all.

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 01:08 on Apr 30, 2017

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Wait... did we miss it?

Or was the election the end and now we're in hell?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

MrUnderbridge posted:

Wait... did we miss it?

Or was the election the end and now we're in hell?

In your heart, you know the awful truth.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

The thing is that the rapture already happened but nobody was selected to go with it.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

HardDiskD posted:

The thing is that the rapture already happened but nobody was selected to go with it.

The apocalypse is coming, bigly.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Phanatic posted:

No, they do not. They haven't had that for years. The law was that you had to keep to a "reasonable and prudent" speed, until 1998 when a guy ticketed for going 102mph appealed all the way to the state supreme court which ruled that that was unconstitutionally vague. So for the time between that decision and when the legislature passed a 75mph limit the next year, Montana had no speed limit at all, although you could still get ticketed for reckless or careless driving.

And as for "because," Montana's roads were safer during the "reasonable and prudent" era.

http://mediatrackers.org/montana/2014/12/02/montanas-speed-limit-make-highways-safer

So much for the tolerant left.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The apocalypse is coming, bigly.

Trump fits the bill pretty well for the antichrist tbh

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
This is the only one of these anybody really needs if you ask me.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

AKA Pseudonym posted:

This is the only one of these anybody really needs if you ask me.

This never gets old. :allears:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Memri TV is some of the most bullshity bullshit to ever get on the internet.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

What would a sub be if not a sandwich? :psyduck:

also it's missing an axis for open faced sandwiches, wherein your opinion on whether pizza is a sandwich would fall

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

someone awful. posted:

What would a sub be if not a sandwich? :psyduck:

also it's missing an axis for open faced sandwiches, wherein your opinion on whether pizza is a sandwich would fall

I like this.

We can also put toast and tacos on that axis.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Platystemon posted:

I like this.

We can also put toast and tacos on that axis.

As well as sushi.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
Pizza, toast, sushi, cake, vodka, etc... are all in that bottom right square.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Why. Why.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
The shake weight of political ideology.

what if my chart could include meta-ideology oooh

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

HerStuddMuffin posted:

Pizza, toast, sushi, cake, vodka, etc... are all in that bottom right square.

It still states "food enveloped in a food", which disqualifies open-faced sandwiches and pizza, but includes calzones and possibly sushi (at least rolls). Hmm.

someone awful. has a new favorite as of 11:12 on May 2, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

Haggis is a sandwich.

A sausage is a sandwich.

A jelly doughnut is a sandwich.

A chocolate liquer is a sandwich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

someone awful. posted:

It still states "food enveloped in a food", which disqualifies open-faced sandwiches and pizza, but includes calzones and possibly sushi (at least rolls). Hmm.

Surely it should be 'enveloped in large sections of carbohydrates" so sushi wouldn't count, and neither does a breaded schnitzel.

You'd have to put a limit on fat content of the outside to eliminate pies.