Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

I gave up a couple of seasons ago, but the manufactured drama really started to show when they had the captains standing around a barrel fire and Jonathan knocked Keith down over him trying to take a crew member on. It was cringe worthy dumb and I lost a lot of interest after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
I bet Jakes boat is one of the ones that uses discovery to super low bid on crab quota that non discovery channel fisherman can't afford to do.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Jake Harris got arrested in Phoenix for grand theft auto, meth, and Xanax possession.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
With no Josh on the show at the moment (apparently) the only segments i watch on Catch are the Hansens. The rest of the show is not very watchable anymore. Shame.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

Jake Harris got arrested in Phoenix for grand theft auto, meth, and Xanax possession.

does anyone who watches the show really care what he's doing anymore?

kefkafloyd posted:

With no Josh on the show at the moment (apparently) the only segments i watch on Catch are the Hansens. The rest of the show is not very watchable anymore. Shame.

https://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/2016/10/deadliest-catch-season-13-cornelia-marie/ Won't be on at all this season.

I like watching when Jake Anderson will freak out next at his crew. And we still have some lovely green horn that needs to be yelled at by Keith.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I'm kinda interested to see the next few seasons as the show very much portrays the real consequences of global warming. It's big part of the season, I wonder if the crews even realize it.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Invalid Validation posted:

I'm kinda interested to see the next few seasons as the show very much portrays the real consequences of global warming. It's big part of the season, I wonder if the crews even realize it.

They are already starting to talk about it. When they said their is way less crab and it's not usually where it would be. It felt almost like they were preaching at you but not quite.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I feel like last season barely had ice issues at all. Usually every season has that moment with crazy ice pack navigation and frozen harbors and crazy boat de-icing, but I don't remember much of that at all from last year.

Weird that Discovery chose to completely abandon the CM. I always thought that was one of the most popular boats on the show. I guess they are cutting costs, but it's weird that they would choose Brenna A over CM in that case.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Probably because when you google deadliest catch jake harris shows up committing some sort of crime recently.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Holyshoot posted:

does anyone who watches the show really care what he's doing anymore?

I'm kind of surprised he's still alive.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Holyshoot posted:

Probably because when you google deadliest catch jake harris shows up committing some sort of crime recently.

Isn't that the kind of poo poo reality shows love?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

ToastyPotato posted:

Isn't that the kind of poo poo reality shows love?

Not really for this kind of show. That's Jersey Shore poo poo. The narrative they wanted for the Harris brothers was redemption.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

IRQ posted:

Not really for this kind of show. That's Jersey Shore poo poo. The narrative they wanted for the Harris brothers was redemption.

And it seems like Jake gives no fucks at becoming better. So I don't doubt his brother had a hand in getting the CM taken off the show.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
Yeah I could see Josh trying to sequester his brother from national attention. I feel bad for them, it seems like their dad was the only rock in their lives and now they have no clue what to do.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

swordfish duelist posted:

Yeah I could see Josh trying to sequester his brother from national attention. I feel bad for them, it seems like their dad was the only rock in their lives and now they have no clue what to do.

Pretty much. However there lives are probably more true to how it is then anything sig does. Sig is probably best case scenario being a crab fisherman.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Holyshoot posted:

Pretty much. However there lives are probably more true to how it is then anything sig does. Sig is probably best case scenario being a crab fisherman.

Massive cardiac issues in middle-age and all, probably, yeah.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It's amazing all the captains don't die by the age of 30 seeing as they live off cigarettes and energy drinks and whatever drugs they consume at port.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Tobacco, caffeine, alcohol, and 16 hours a day for several days at a time sitting in a seat. :psyduck:

Also, wasn't Jake basically not mentioned at all last season? Also Josh in his statement seemed to indicate that it wasn't exactly his decision to pull the CM, unless I read that completely rear end backward. There isn't a replacement for the CM this year so far, so it seems like they wanted one less boat on the roster, but I am amazed that they opted to keep Brenna A or even Wild Bill on instead of CM since neither of them seem to have much going on to be honest. Wild Bill's big thing was mostly with his son, and he isn't even on the boat for King this season it seems.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ToastyPotato posted:

Tobacco, caffeine, alcohol, and 16 hours a day for several days at a time sitting in a seat. :psyduck:

Yep. That's pretty much a peak cocktail for "early death due to some permutation of heart attack, stroke, deep vein thrombosis or pulmonary embolism."

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

I'd like to see what's up with the fv rollo and Eric. Or in-depth stats about changes to quota, fleet size and some past vessels/fisherman. It seems like once derby was retired that made the fleet a husk of what once was, but who knows the show doesn't care to show it.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

They have definitely mentioned in the past how many ships on average were fishing vs. recent years.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Invalid Validation posted:

It's amazing all the captains don't die by the age of 30 seeing as they live off cigarettes and energy drinks and whatever drugs they consume at port.

Because up until 2005 they did all that poo poo for 3-5 days(the dirby). And then went home. So I imagine they would be doing that life style for shorter periods of time then have some recovery no?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Timby posted:

Yep. That's pretty much a peak cocktail for "early death due to some permutation of heart attack, stroke, deep vein thrombosis or pulmonary embolism."
Don't forget the massively caloric meals they have to make for the crew just so they can keep working. Not like the captain's going to eat a salad because his butt's in a chair all day.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Holyshoot posted:

Because up until 2005 they did all that poo poo for 3-5 days(the dirby). And then went home. So I imagine they would be doing that life style for shorter periods of time then have some recovery no?

Based on the stories they tell, their "recovery" in between crabbing seasons seems to have been drinking and doing even more cocaine, so no it didn't help with their health much.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Viktor posted:

It seems like once derby was retired that made the fleet a husk of what once was

Basically, the minute the quota system was established the fishing fleet died, yep. I think there are only 80-some boats that fish for Alaskan king crab, whereas at the peak in the '80s there were 250-plus.

Honestly, it's not a bad thing. Overfishing is still a significant concern with Alaskan crab (not quite as bad as in Maryland, but close), and it's not helped by pirate boats, which are generally Russian.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
Keith once again shows off some sound reasoning on how to manage personnel, now he have to get another greenhorn again to replace the dude he fired.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Keith's son is a greenhorn? :stonk:

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

howe_sam posted:

Keith's son is a greenhorn? :stonk:

won't be his son after the seasons over. I predict he will end up like zach.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
Maybe the fact that everyone is treating Keith's son decently and not bullying him mercilessly have something to do with him not failing in five days like all other greenhorns?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Overly hamming up "The War" just to set off fireworks is the perfect time to jump the shark for shark week.

Do the captains get a biographical documentary in their contracts or something? This is like the third captain special this season.

EDIT: Shark Week hasn't happened yet gently caress :negative:

GenderSelectScreen fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jul 5, 2017

• Locked thread