Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

gohuskies posted:

Here's a link to the video of Ueli on the Eiger in 2008, a great alpinism video and what got him on a lot of people's radars: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_a0X9rdJ7hc

That bit at 2:15 where he's nearly running up the snowfield is very inspirational to me.

Why even wear a helmet at this point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zbigniew
Apr 28, 2007
Good night Marcus put out the light
Falling debris. Any good fall would kill you in any case.

The Light Eternal
Jun 12, 2006

A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life.
Wow. What a bummer. I saw him speak a few years ago. A legend for sure.

nockturne
Aug 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

I have to ask: why do a post-mortem? It's pretty clear what killed him.

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

nockturne posted:

I have to ask: why do a post-mortem? It's pretty clear what killed him.

To check for bullet holes and stab wounds?

If you don't die in bed it's normal for the authorities to check that you did die naturally.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Probably see if he had any kind of drugs or substances in him that could have contributed to his fall.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
The real question for those with morbid fascinations of watching mountaineering disasters unfold--is there video?

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

ZombieLenin posted:

The real question for those with morbid fascinations of watching mountaineering disasters unfold--is there video?

Edit: I'm so sorry :(

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Surprised to find myself feeling angry. Sorry for using it as an opportunity to soap box, can't help myself. Why high altitude? It's like making a video game harder by just lowering your hitpoints. No creativity. Waste of incredible talent

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

MorgaineDax posted:

Why even wear a helmet at this point?

Wearing a helmet probably saved his life a few years ago on Annapurna when he got a rock to the head right at the start of the climb. He still went up but said afterwards that the risk had been too high and that he would tone it down from now on.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

poo poo, this year is off to a grim start. I just remembered the thread a couple of days ago and then I read about Ueli on the paper today. Really, I guess with people who have the Summit Fever it's bound to happen at some point, but still :(

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Epitope posted:

Surprised to find myself feeling angry. Sorry for using it as an opportunity to soap box, can't help myself. Why high altitude? It's like making a video game harder by just lowering your hitpoints. No creativity. Waste of incredible talent

People who want to do the hardest possible climbs want that added challenge of high altitude. And while Ueli's death is a terrible tragedy, there was absolutely creativity in his project. The West Ridge route he was planning on was extremely difficult and historic in nature, and linking it up over the mountain and traversing to Lhotse was a visionary line that would have been among the great high altitude climbs ever done if completed. It wasn't like he was just another dude trudging up the South Col route.

barbecue at the folks posted:

poo poo, this year is off to a grim start. I just remembered the thread a couple of days ago and then I read about Ueli on the paper today. Really, I guess with people who have the Summit Fever it's bound to happen at some point, but still :(

This wasn't a summit fever kind of situation like most climbers where he pushed himself too hard and too far, got caught out overnight and died of exposure and altitude. He was on an acclimatization climb on Nuptse, climbing solo and unroped on a technical route, and he slipped and fell. It's a chance you take when you climb in that style, not summit fever.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Exploding on the mountainside is metal as heck

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Here to be bummed out by Steck's death. :(

My adventure was finding where the hell this thread was at. I know that this is technically the right sub-sub-sub-sub-forum but what the heck mods....

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Here to be bummed out by Steck's death. :(

My adventure was finding where the hell this thread was at. I know that this is technically the right sub-sub-sub-sub-forum but what the heck mods....

When GBS died, a bunch of megathreads got moved to other places. This one was moved to the hiking forum. When GBS came back, it was filled with even more broke brained morons. Someone made a 2017 thread but put it back in GBS for some reason and it got GBS'd to death, then he posted a banme thread.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Cojawfee posted:

When GBS died, a bunch of megathreads got moved to other places. This one was moved to the hiking forum. When GBS came back, it was filled with even more broke brained morons. Someone made a 2017 thread but put it back in GBS for some reason and it got GBS'd to death, then he posted a banme thread.

I just want to let you all know as a broke brained GBS moron it was actually the fyad/imp zone concern troll sadbrains that ruined the thread.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

That's a shame. The previous Everest threads on GBS have been pretty good. Every so often you would get a cry baby saying how mean the thread was but you'd get a lot of traffic. I don't know anything about GBS really. I'm a A/T, PYF and TFA poster.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Usually we could get a couple pages of concern trolls and then the thread would be too many pages for the trolls to bother clicking into. Unfortunately, someone got a bunch of his friends to join in and poo poo up the thread until it got locked.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Anyways I'm gonna be THAT GUY and ask if Steck's death just counts as 1 or is there a bonus because he was so good?

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Jimmy Hats posted:

Anyways I'm gonna be THAT GUY and ask if Steck's death just counts as 1 or is there a bonus because he was so good?

all are equal to the unseeing eyes of the mountains

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

The tragic thing about Steck is that this often happens to the best. It's not the insanely difficult climbs that kill them, its the unforeseen avalanches, the thawing seracs, the slippery rocks that they weren't expecting that do. Or the weather. Or just climbing down. It's awful he went that way, I was hoping he'd do the West Ridge.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Wow a whole bunch of new posts in the Everest thread, some idiot must have . . .

quote:

Rip Ueli

:stare:

Not a lot of words for this. We all gotta go sometime I guess. Wasn't this his first return after the Sherpa affair? The mountain gods were not happy with him.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Jimmy Hats posted:

Still just counts as one but the mountain earns double XP.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
I really was hoping he could get a redeemed trip since the last one went so poorly. That would have been such an incredible climb.

You win, Sagarmāthā.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

gohuskies posted:

creativity in his project
historic in nature
a visionary line
the great high altitude climbs

I don't wanna pick on you in particular because this is the language used for this sort of thing across a lot of different sports. But... let's try to keep in mind that what Steck was doing was personal recreation. High-altitude alpinists occasionally work with scientific missions to study things like HACE/HAPE etc. but that's not what Steck was up to and it's not what most climbers are up to. Setting records, finding new routes, exploring their physical limits, having a thrill, all of this is part of basically a sport. And not even really a spectator sport, although Steck certainly was famous enough to have provided entertainment to others.

So to me, it's sort of like... I'm really impressed by some dudes who play other sports to an impressively high degree of capability, and that career can be super rewarding if you can manage it. But there's huge flak being aimed at American Football right now because everyone can see that it's causing brain damage for players who take too many hits/concussions. There should be even more criticism aimed at high-altitude alpine extreme sports ropeless sports crap because at least American Football players don't routinely die on the field.

So yeah, Steck's death is a tragedy. But let's not kid ourselves, he was routinely toying with his own life doing one of the most ridiculously lethal sports mankind has ever invented, and his risk-taking finally caught up to him.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I'm starting a betting pool on whether or not he faked his death

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Ahem.

Died on Nuptse hence not technically on Everest.

:eng101:

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.

Ahem.

The proper term is a "Nuptse-daisy"

My high school acquaintance is apparently at the acclimatization stage and will summit sometime in the next couple weeks, assuming he survives.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Ahem.

Acclimatization run for Everest though. He's being considered first death of the season but yeah.

Probably Nuptse will level up from this.

Also, first death of the season makes sense because even in death Ueli has got to be number one.

ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པདྨེ་ཧཱུྃ་ཧྲཱིཿ

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Na. Risk of death is an integral part of this endeavor. Also cutting edge sport is at least as valuable to civilization as many fields of research. Or do you think art is not worth funding?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

ManifunkDestiny posted:

The proper term is a "Nuptse-daisy"

God drat it

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Whilst the thread in gbs probably didn't deserve its fate, the death pool stuff really didn't help it's cause

It didn't really bring much to the thread aside from some white noise anyway, so maybe let's not do that this time?

I'm all for mocking the dead but pages and pages of guesses was just noise

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Annual Everest Thread 2018: The proper term is a "Nuptse-daisy"

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Skarsnik posted:

Whilst the thread in gbs probably didn't deserve its fate, the death pool stuff really didn't help it's cause

It didn't really bring much to the thread aside from some white noise anyway, so maybe let's not do that this time?

I'm all for mocking the dead but pages and pages of guesses was just noise

Yeah but the noise helps keep it on the front of GBS and makes the thread more visible

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

So having been watching EverestNoFilter, they've been making note that for days now, there have been gale force winds whipping across the ridges and peaks. It would not surprise me if Ueli Steck was literally blown off his route.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Hey folks, it is I, the person behind the #Everest game in the OP. I've been looking at remaking the game in Unity for better UI features and such; got a wishlist for updates/new features?

Leperflesh's longass post is already incorporated into my dev build :unsmigghh:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Epitope posted:

Na. Risk of death is an integral part of this endeavor. Also cutting edge sport is at least as valuable to civilization as many fields of research. Or do you think art is not worth funding?

My wife is an artist, I definitely support the arts. There's definitely a blurry grey area between performance art and professional sports, but I think it goes further into the weeds when you're talking about alpinists. Steck at least wrote books and presented, but most people engaging in the sport of high alpine climbing are not.

If you define it broadly enough, a person's art practice could extend to literally any undertaking, if they do so with artistic intent. And I support people doing that on their own, but... I don't think individuals engaging in personal (not shared) artistic practice need or deserve "public support" beyond general encouragement.

But this I think is a separate question. Should we encourage people to take insane risks with their lives, for art? I don't think we should. I think risks should be proportionate to rewards, and while many high-altitude alpinists report that their activity is extremely rewarding, the world is rich with extremely rewarding activities almost all of which are less crazy dangerous.

I believe people should have the freedom to throw their lives into whatever they do provided they're not hurting others. But I also think that we should advise people apparently suicidally reckless with their lives to pursue healthier activities, irrespective of whether their activities have artistic merit. I would oppose legislation barring high-altitude alpine climbing, I think people need to be free to ignore good advice and do what they want (again as long as they're not hurting anyone but themselves) but that doesn't equate to open approval and especially to heaping laudatory accolades on them.

Steck was undoubtedly a very cool guy and I wish he was still alive. He had so much drive and talent that I believe he surely could have found equally thrilling outputs for them that did not involve such a crazy high risk of death, and I wish the people around him had tried to convince him of that.

Xibanya posted:

Lol which ones, half of my posts are novels

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Xibanya posted:

I hope you're talking about the titanic one, which rules, and not the latest. Muhammad Ali wasn't a visionary, just a dumbass who broke his brain on "personal recreation."

Edit I read your post but don't really have anything else to add. Godspeed

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Epitope posted:

I hope you're talking about the titanic one, which rules

It's that one. :smuggo:

Leperflesh lol that you don't remember; I specifically got your permission to use that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Epitope posted:

I hope you're talking about the titanic one, which rules, and not the latest. Muhammad Ali wasn't a visionary, just a dumbass who broke his brain on "personal recreation."

Spectator sports. And yes, I'm pretty anti-boxing too. At least at the time Ali got started, the full extent of the risk wasn't as well known or studied, but yeah. A brilliant and admirable sportsman, but our rabid desire to watch and enjoy combat sports leads to too many boxers and other martial artists destroying their brains for art. I don't think that's completely OK. At the very least I hope you can agree there's room for a serious debate on the subject.