Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
I think if you take the first one you posted and inverted the cannot block clause to a traditional falter effect it becomes a fine uncommon. Strong enough for constructed in edge cases and straight up game winner in limited if you have the resources.

Not Alex fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Let's go for a straightforward tweak since the base card is solid.

No longer completely dominant against aggro, easier to play around, still a solid hail mary, and still great at retail.

Lker
Oct 26, 2010
Adding a true falter effect would make the trample part seem redundant, and possibly more problematic power wise. I also don't think the card isn't that broken to be honest because it is heavily limited by color, and being an​ automatic 3 for 1 if you try to cast it for free. Running it in an infect deck for instance would require either 2 mana or this card, a pump, and 2 cards to pitch. It's​ much easier to have a big creature and give it haste to make this effective I think. The change I would make to make it weaker would be to add 1 more to casting cost or just make a strict GR casting cost instead of hybrid.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Too lazy to make a card image but

Death By Monkeys
BG
Instant
You may sacrifice a Monkey or Ape creature you control rather than pay ~'s mana cost.

Destroy target creature. Its controller creates a 2/2 black and green Zombie Monkey creature token.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Should be named Monkey Business.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Entries are closed (and have been for a while), I'll decide on a winner after I'm home from work.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Honourable Mentions

Interesting idea with Flashback, but as written I think you can cast it for free the same turn you played it, and it's pretty difficult otherwise. I like it better if you gave it a real flashback cost and said "You may pay {0} instead of ~this~'s Flashback cost if you played a spell called Retrospect this turn." (or just the red and blue rider you originally had). Possibly broken in Storm though!

I like how this works really well with clone effects, but the lack of a colour restriction rider making it a very easy include in nearly every mirror match (not just ones where you're playing UB) doesn't sit well.

You had a great idea I just wish you pushed the line a little further. Imagine this:

{R/B}{R/B}{R/B}

~this~ costs {R/B} less to cast for each red creature you control that deal damage to a player this turn.
~this~ costs {R/B} less to cast for each black creature you control that deal damage to a player this turn.

3/3

:3:

Winners in the next post!

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Third Place

Man the flavour on this is really good. I think a lot of people would have picked power, but the amount of blood in an object better represents how tough it is.

Second Place

I like the idea of handing this to an opponent, and then trying to throw a bunch of lifegain at them faster than this will kill you.

First Place

Such a clean design, I could definitely see this being printed. Probably at uncommon though, but I won't dock you for that.

:siren: ungulateman is your winner! :siren:

Thanks everyone for participating, my only regret is that I couldn't show off all the cool ideas I had for my own designs.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
:tipshat:

I've been reading back through some official Magic articles, and there's various points of contention both Mark Rosewater and Sam Stoddard bring up when talking about 'bomb rares', and how they affect the Limited environment of a set. So I want to see you guys take this challenge on: Make an interesting Limited bomb.

Usual deadline of a week.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I had this idea the other day, pretend I looked up the appropriate TMNT art:

Rat King
1B
Creature - Rat

The Rat King has power and toughness equal to the number of rats you control.
2B, discard a card: Create a token that's a copy of Rat King

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Ask and you shall receive.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

ungulateman posted:

:tipshat:

I've been reading back through some official Magic articles, and there's various points of contention both Mark Rosewater and Sam Stoddard bring up when talking about 'bomb rares', and how they affect the Limited environment of a set. So I want to see you guys take this challenge on: Make an interesting Limited bomb.

Usual deadline of a week.

Could you link to some of these articles?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

PJOmega posted:

Could you link to some of these articles?

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/limited-information/definition-bomb-2013-06-12

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/latest-developments/why-bomb-rares-exist-2016-06-10

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

So the theme this week is Make a Good Card?

Please note the symmetry of:

Letters in card name
Converted Mana Cost
Permanents destroyed
Words of text
Words of flavour text

And then appreciate the delightful pun in the card name.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I decided to go a step further, and create a cycle limited bombs that are shout-outs to previous limited bombs.

It's kind of a stretch in a couple cases, though.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
I read this as "a card that would be a bomb in limited, but that you wouldn't see in constructed," which to me just screams "enchant creature." So I made one that's a callback to another strong set of limited auras and a set I loved:

edit: Cleaned up the templating

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 01:21 on May 5, 2017

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

TheChirurgeon posted:

I read this as "a card that would be a bomb in limited, but that you wouldn't see in constructed," which to me just screams "enchant creature."
Thank you for motivating me to create some of my favorite limited cards: Chunky, overpriced, Timmy-tastic equipment.

Edit

I have no excuse for this one.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 04:49 on May 3, 2017

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Fairly typical Overrun variant, with a lasting impact if it happens not to win the game outright.

This will take a game right over if you give it time. Possibly could do with another mana in the activation cost.

Glidergun fucked around with this message at 17:07 on May 3, 2017

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
updated:

new:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I am dying to smugly show off my clever aftermath names so someone please make the next challenge that tia.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I definitely like the old version more.

This one's just straight-up busted.

Why yes, I would like to cast Lightning Bolt/Shock/Faithless Looting/Lava Spike/Goblin Grenade 5 times for 5 mana.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

PMush Perfect posted:

I definitely like the old version more.

I felt the old one was a bit too wordy, but I cleaned up its templating. I think I agree

PMush Perfect posted:

This one's just straight-up busted.

Why yes, I would like to cast Lightning Bolt/Shock/Faithless Looting/Lava Spike/Goblin Grenade 5 times for 5 mana.

I don't play much competitive so it can be hard for me to tell if its broken. I guess its:
- You can use the ability when the card hits the table.
- Since you can use the graveyard, you get a free extra use out of it if its in your hand
- Four (five) castings is alot
- Even tho its expensive, there are too many ways to cheat the card onto the battlefield, so the cost alone can't justify something that powerful.

I will make a single attempt to fix it.

Its probably still broke as gently caress tho. If so, oh well, I will move on rather than salvage it

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

I love these two

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Well, uh, one last call in case anyone else forgot the deadline?

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Fine. It's not done but hey

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I kinda blew my wad on good ideas already.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Found this in my ideas file:

Back when I designed this, I thought of it as flashback-bestow, not embalm-bestow.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

:hf:

Serra buddies!

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

Here, have a kind of boring guy + the same joke AJ_Impy already made.

Eeevil fucked around with this message at 14:41 on May 8, 2017

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Should be called "Hot Potato"

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Honorable mentions go to Lone Goat's Spent, TheChirurgeon's Divinity Umbra, and PMush Perfect's Calamitous Dragon.

The winner is this design from Lottery of Babylon:

This is one of those really elegant mechanics that has enough overlap with flashback, bestow and embalm to feel familiar while playing differently enough to be interesting and new. Serra Angel isn't as bomby as it used to be, since creatures actually have power and toughness at common these days, but one that comes back as a sort of Angelic Destiny is sweet. Congratulations!

(I think someone asked for the next contest to be Aftermath cards, by the way?)

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

ungulateman posted:

(I think someone asked for the next contest to be Aftermath cards, by the way?)

Are MSE templates even out for those yet?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
If not we can just use normal split cards for now.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

I meant to drop the Bequeath cost by a point or two before posting it, but looks like I forgot to re-export after I did that. Bequeath is how I always wished Bestow worked because, while Kicker is a nice mechanic, Flashback is even nicer because you don't feel like you're losing anything from casting the spell unkicked.

As for the next contest, who am I to stand in the way of the will of the people?

:siren: Aftermath :siren:

Make Aftermath cards. Just use the regular split card template, since I'm pretty sure MSE doesn't have the aftermath frames (and the regular split frames look way better anyhow). Entries close 10pm EST next Tuesday.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

*rushes into the room as fast as he can*

huff huff GOT IT

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

e: Bonus additional entry card that re-uses half of an existing Split Card. I think this would be printable, even though it no longer has fuse, but I'm not 100% sure.

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 04:09 on May 9, 2017

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Technically tear contains fuse text but w/e

This one's my favourite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

EDIT:

In standard split card frames for people who find that easier to read: