Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Jade Star posted:

I just need a good line for the text now.

I NEVER GET SHELL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Wheany posted:

Or "Responsible disclosure"

That's a Good one. :nsallears:

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
Hacking is my art.
Watch me as I take control.
Shitfuckohgodwhy

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
Can I just take a moment to say that I appreciated the Parallel Worlds shoutout? Hard to believe that it's been almost ten years now.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I suggest "I, Empanada, Am Very Bad At XCOM 2"

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Apr 26, 2017

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
"A pathetic creature of meat and bone"

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
"Seems doable."

At least I think that's his line before hacking.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

We have a winner!

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Operation Dismal Granola

I have a very special mission for you today. At Guava, and other's, request I demonstrate a solo infiltration mission of one of ADVENT's Avatar facilities. This is tricky and really all about not being spotted while knowing a few tricks that can buy you needed actions or get you out of the kind of trouble you might get into. The wraith suit the biggest piece of the puzzle. Letting you phase through the walls of the complex make it much, much easier to get the bomb plant site, and then subsequently back outside to the evac. It also add mobility to the solder so you can travel farther which is always handy, and even the grappling hook can be a big deal. If a soldier is inside the red detection squares of an enemy patrol but is able to grapple out to a target destination that is outside of ADVENT's spotting range then the soldier can fire the grapple and escape the detection range unnoticed. Not sure why that works, but it does! Battle Scanners are another great idea to bring, you get two of them and they can be thrown while maintaining concealment. They can let you know where an enemy patrol might be before you run headfirst into them, as I sort of did during the video. Lastly a mobility PCS on the infiltration subject isn't a bad idea either, just to really hammer in the ability to move around and get where you need to be as fast as possible.

The goal is of course not to get spotted during the mission, doing so will pretty easily lead to failure and death. However I managed to show that if you are close enough to the mission objective you may be able to squeak by using the wraith suit to put a wall between you and the enemies, buying yourself a turn to be able to plan the bomb and run. Shadow Step will be helpful if you get caught, but ultimately if you get caught you need to evac in the next turn, maybe two if you can buy yourself a turn with the wrath suit and a wall.

Realistically I'd say this isn't the way to go. With out fighting you are not generating exp to rank up soldiers and you're not collecting loot so over all it's really more of a handicap to the player to shortcut a mission like this. The only real benefit I could say would be the time save in real life terms. The video was 11 minutes start to finish recording with two minutes of load screens and fiddling with the squad equipment screen cut out. That is amazingly fast when the average mission is running around the 40 minute mark by this point in the game. This is a fun and neat thing to do, but really not all that useful all things considered. I hope you all enjoyed it!

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Clearly he was just trying to lure all the advent into the blast radius before he bailed out.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

that doesn't sound like guavamoment at all!

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

AriadneThread posted:

that doesn't sound like guavamoment at all!

Ariadne is right! Get that faker out of here, Jade! Bring back the REAL Guavamoment.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Man i imagine that's how most missions go for people that take the stealth system way to literally and try to ghost their way through any given regular mission. You do okay for a few turns but then the enemies heat seek on to you then suddenly you have to to fight the whole map at once.

The Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Apr 26, 2017

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I've noticed the recycling of map assets a bit, and here was probably the most obvious case of it. We just saw Operation Bad Wrong 'ard (the first facility Jade blew up in this run) but in a nighttime/grassland tileset, right down to the spot where you place X-4 charges being the same.

Although, I am amazed the Sectopod didn't notice Talow when it parked right next to him. I mean, how bugged were the Sectopod's sensors that it missed Talow leaning against its foot?

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Jade Star posted:

If a soldier is inside the red detection squares of an enemy patrol but is able to grapple out to a target destination that is outside of ADVENT's spotting range then the soldier can fire the grapple and escape the detection range unnoticed. Not sure why that works, but it does!

Also known as the Batman effect.

AradoBalanga posted:

Although, I am amazed the Sectopod didn't notice Talow when it parked right next to him. I mean, how bugged were the Sectopod's sensors that it missed Talow leaning against its foot?

Clearly the Sectopod has Bulwark, which Talow is using for cover and not getting detected. That makes sense.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
Has Talow's nickname always been "***"?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

MelvinBison posted:

Has Talow's nickname always been "***"?

Once they were assigned a nickname, yes.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Operation Jack Pronunciation

Not too much to go over in terms of game mechanics with this update, just another late game retaliation mission to deal with. A few faceless surprises and unexpectedly volatile gas tanks make up the most of my problems. Although Margotinni did come within 1 HP of being knocked out or killed, scary stuff there. Goes to show even in the late game when you've got good armor and skills and everything you can still be dangerously close to death if even two enemy actions line up properly. That aside my biggest thought turns towards the use pf Psi soldiers. They can be extremely powerful and mop up large swaths of the battlefield on their own but I tend to use them as a safety net. They don't promote or get strong based on kills like your other soldiers do so it is less important for them to actually score kills during a battle. Another reason for my more conservative use of Shellshock is because all Psi abilities are on cool downs and I have Giant Robotic Crab Syndrome. That, and because the Psi soldiers get so many varying abilities it's nice to leave them to the end of the turn and use what ever is needed to ensure a relatively safe alien turn. Let the other soldiers do their thing to score kills and then keep the Psi around to clean up any missed shots or unfortunate turn of events during the turn. It may be less impressive but merely having Shellshock around as a safety net means I can be a lot more confident in all of my other actions. Accidentally advance too far and reveal a gatekeeper? Stasis and buy yourself a turn to deal with that. Couldn't shoot out a couple of ADVENT from high cover? Void rift those jerks. Got a muton in a bad place? Mind control that dumb brute. Play style may differ from person to person, but with little else to talk about I figured I'd air out my pro defensive oriented thinking on Psi soldiers.

Outside of the mission we get some interesting plot, and if the other cut scenes hadn't already spelled it out enough we pretty much know for certain what is going on now. The aliens are using human DNA to make or modify bodies suitable as hosts for Ethereals. Why they need tens of thousands, if not more, humans liquefied to meet this goal is still a little unknown. Seems like a really high number of people to be put into a blender for this project. Also how the whole Avatar body things works is a bit of a mystery. It kind of looked like The Bureau set up where the Ethereal was floating behind the Avatar body when we fought it. Then during the autopsy the purple cloud of Ethereal forms an image and then dissipates into the air leave me with questions like where was that Ethereals physical body? Did the Ethereal shift it's entire brain/consciousness into the Avatar body? If it did, then why'd it survive as a purple ghost for a little while longer? And if it doesn't die with the body, why do they need bodies at all? Can Ethereals just live as a energy cloud or psionic entity with out a physical anchor? Maybe the Avatar body just let the Ethereal project itself... but why didn't that stop when the Avatar died too. So many questions!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Glad you got rid of that impostor and brought Guavamoment back.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Jade Star posted:

Why they need tens of thousands, if not more, humans liquefied to meet this goal is still a little unknown. Seems like a really high number of people to be put into a blender for this project.

Maybe a human smoothie is delicious?

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
The MEC ~29 minutes in was attached to something. The panicked trooper. the MEC just wanted to stay in the shroud though, so it didn't advance.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Jade Star posted:

Outside of the mission we get some interesting plot, and if the other cut scenes hadn't already spelled it out enough we pretty much know for certain what is going on now. The aliens are using human DNA to make or modify bodies suitable as hosts for Ethereals. Why they need tens of thousands, if not more, humans liquefied to meet this goal is still a little unknown. Seems like a really high number of people to be put into a blender for this project. Also how the whole Avatar body things works is a bit of a mystery. It kind of looked like The Bureau set up where the Ethereal was floating behind the Avatar body when we fought it. Then during the autopsy the purple cloud of Ethereal forms an image and then dissipates into the air leave me with questions like where was that Ethereals physical body? Did the Ethereal shift it's entire brain/consciousness into the Avatar body? If it did, then why'd it survive as a purple ghost for a little while longer? And if it doesn't die with the body, why do they need bodies at all? Can Ethereals just live as a energy cloud or psionic entity with out a physical anchor? Maybe the Avatar body just let the Ethereal project itself... but why didn't that stop when the Avatar died too. So many questions!

I figured the aliens kept liquifying humans because they're constantly searching for new DNA sequences and any mutation no matter how minor could lead to the next breakthrough. And I also figured that the Avatar bodies are conduits of the Ethereals' consciousnesses while they're working out the kinks to create new bodies that can fully support the transfer of their minds. And even if the Avatar is dead the brain might still be intact enough for some sort of connection to linger.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

I just noticed as you flew past New Zealand that my city is apparently now underwater. This is most upsetting.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

I do love the Chryssalid skeet shooting, slow motion makes them look so graceful. And if you know they're coming for you and you're at the top of a cliff, you can just overwatch everyone and let them set you up for some sweet shots, but I suppose on these missions you don't really have the time to dawdle around and amuse yourself with dumb animation instances.

You say that sometimes Advent will miss civilians and give you an extra turn to save them, so am I just unlucky? I have had multiple village missions where the Advent trooper missed their shot on a civilian and then someone else took another one out, I didn't think they could actually go a turn without either killing a civilian or attacking soldiers. Using civilians to draw Advent overwatch fire is an interesting tactic, and one Guava would be proud of. He'd also be pretty happy with the catastrophic explosion near the end of that mission, and Margottini almost dying (wow) but I'm not sure if that counts as pride more than spite.

I meant to ask this question last time, but: You're at 0 Avatar progress, is that a thing that is supposed to happen, or is it just a consequence of you doing all the progress-cutting plot threads at the same time? And if you do try to stall for time, training, research, or whatever other reasons, do you eventually run into a point where there are no more facilities to hit and no other ways to bring the progress down?

Also does Man Whore still not have that awesome Colonel-level Restoration skill? God drat it Man Whore. I suppose he is our second-string medic, and he's not exactly XCom's finest soldier anyway. Let's not show him on the propaganda we're going to put up once we've actually defeated the aliens.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

TheDarkFlame posted:

I meant to ask this question last time, but: You're at 0 Avatar progress, is that a thing that is supposed to happen, or is it just a consequence of you doing all the progress-cutting plot threads at the same time? And if you do try to stall for time, training, research, or whatever other reasons, do you eventually run into a point where there are no more facilities to hit and no other ways to bring the progress down?

Hitting 0 on the tracker isn't really anything special. It starts at three and it's certainly rare that it hits zero but it's mostly a byproduct of me hitting a facility, grabbing the psi gate, and brain jacking a codex/killing an avatar all in a close time span.

You can not stall the game out indefinitely. Facilities may come and go but the Avatar project will continue to make progress, 1 pip a month give or take the time its frozen after plot missions or facilities. The facility in the middle of the ocean will generate pips and the only way to remove them is through plot, as we have done. Once you're done with the plot missions that remove pips then you're out of luck and the ocean facility will slowly continue to generate pips until you lose. Or do the final mission.

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

What about the Facility Lead hack rewards? Assuming you have a competent hacker anyway.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Talow posted:

What about the Facility Lead hack rewards? Assuming you have a competent hacker anyway.

You can research them like a datapad, but I believe only when there is a facility built in a region you haven't contacted. After the research, one such facility will have its mission unlocked without contacting the region.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
Oh hey, my Nittien application! Boy, was I poorly prescient. "At this point we can't really afford to pass up on free help."

With you two just having talked about being able to spend months of in-game time without even coming close to losing. :eng99:

At least I can imagine the Commander making a spit-take with their coffee as they're going through the recruit applications. "Wait, Nittien was real?"

Also, Margottini surviving a single pip of health to take dreadful revenge, then drawing away the faceless that could've killed the last civilian and failed the mission. MVP. :golfclap:

With those two, it does seem like women make for the best badass snipers.

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

Akratic Method posted:

You can research them like a datapad, but I believe only when there is a facility built in a region you haven't contacted. After the research, one such facility will have its mission unlocked without contacting the region.

Ahh. That's lame, I was hoping it just took a pip or two from the ocean base and tossed it into a facility somewhere. Oh well.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
So... Operation Jack Pronunciation. Is it a Jack Jack, or a Joque Jack, or a Jefferson Andrew Cain Kaprinski Jack?

Morbidmind
Feb 24, 2013
So, does anyone else find the ethereal possession of the avatars to look INCREDIBLY similar to the possession in Xcom: The Bureau?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
:stare: Really thought Alessandra would bite it this mission.

Hadn't noticed it until the video mentioned it, but I'm surprised she's the only one using a non-English voice set. One of my favorite little touches in Enemy Unknown/Within was the foreign language voices, reinforcing the multinational feel of the group.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Don't want to voice too much speculation since I forget how much plot is left between here and the end, and the twists and turn in it, but I do like that we human's.. are special in a really mundane way.

We're DNA-concrete with a splash of psionics!

Emissary666
Sep 6, 2010

Cythereal posted:

:stare: Really thought Alessandra would bite it this mission.

Hadn't noticed it until the video mentioned it, but I'm surprised she's the only one using a non-English voice set. One of my favorite little touches in Enemy Unknown/Within was the foreign language voices, reinforcing the multinational feel of the group.

I believe every soldier is good submitted and, based on little to no evidence on the distribution of goon nationalities, either have English as their likely native language, chose English because it is JadeStar's (presumably) native language, or took advantage of the larger range of English voices provided.
The weight distribution for the voices of the randomly generated soldiers can be weird, for some reason a majority of my non-English speakers were German.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

Did we talk about The Bureau in this thread yet? We've mentioned Long War and other stuff here but I think we covered it mostly in the previous thread.

Morbidmind
Feb 24, 2013
I have not seen any Bureau discussion, but the thread is getting close to 100 pages so I'm sure its been mentioned at some point.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Emissary666 posted:

English ... is JadeStar's (presumably) native language

:iceburn:

Actually a fair number of people picked non native languages. Just of who ended up being recruited Margottini is the only one I really remember as non english. Apples is UK-english and I think it was Empanada that's Aussie-English.

thefailtrain
Apr 4, 2011

Counterpoint: More pink.
I always love how the shredstorm cannon shoots, and then the damage numbers pop up a moment later.

Isn't it mentioned when you research the blacksite vial that they're basically just pulling the most psi-active people's genes? I guess they're just splicing them into some sort of super psi-attuned body, then? It still makes very little sense overall, like, why do they need to basically murder all the candidates to get the genetic material? Wouldn't you just need tissue samples so you can read the genome? Yes, yes, video game science, etc etc. It only gets more confusing when we hit the last mission, though.

thefailtrain fucked around with this message at 02:31 on May 3, 2017

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

thefailtrain posted:

I always love how the shredstorm cannon shoots, and then the damage numbers pop up a moment later.

Isn't​ it mentioned when you research the blacksmith vial that they're basically just pulling the most psi-active people's genes? I guess they're just splicing them into some sort of super psi-attuned body, then? It still makes very little sense overall, like, why do they need to basically murder all the candidates to get the genetic material? Wouldn't you just need tissue samples so you can read the genome? Yes, yes, video game science, etc etc. It only gets more confusing when we hit the last mission, though.

The aliens haven't figured out PCR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

sincx posted:

The aliens haven't figured out PCR.

Less relevantly, they also haven't figured out PBR or CCR.

The mysteries of swamp and blues rock are still a key advantage for human propaganda efforts.

• Locked thread