Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I mean fourth from bottom and a 14% difference between that and the top company is still pretty poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Comcast loving sucks!

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Someone in Virginia Is Shaving Other People's Cats

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Someone-in-Virginia-Is-Shaving-Other-Peoples-Cats-420750623.html

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Platystemon posted:

Comcast was worst or second‐worst every year from 2002 to 2015, inclusive.

While their customer service blows and they like to rope you in with some great deal and then gently caress you raw 6 months later, they never once sent me anything for the terabytes after terabytes of torrented movies, music and video games that were downloaded at high speeds the past 16 years. Now I'm somewhere they don't service and have Brighthouse instead and they seem ok, but speeds are slower.

Kirk Vikernes has a new favorite as of 23:52 on Apr 28, 2017

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Japan Puts Anime in Zoo and Penguin Adopts a Waifu

http://goboiano.com/japan-puts-anime-in-zoo-and-penguin-adopts-a-waifu/

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Please don't shave someone else's pussy without permission.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Penguins are perverts, Japanese penguins doubly so.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Dragonflies play dead to avoid males. As we all should.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I thought Yale and Harvard were supposed to be some of the best universities in the United States (if not the world) but lately whenever I hear about them it involves stupid bullshit.

As if that's going to stop all of them

Phlegmish has a new favorite as of 10:27 on Apr 29, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Phlegmish posted:

I thought Yale and Harvard were supposed to be some of the best universities in the United States (if not the world) but lately whenever I hear about them it involves stupid bullshit.

It’s possible that Yale and Harvard are uniquely stupid, but I think it’s more likely that stupid poo poo happens at every university, but no one gives a poo poo if it’s Washburn University.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Platystemon posted:

It’s possible that Yale and Harvard are uniquely stupid, but I think it’s more likely that stupid poo poo happens at every university, but no one gives a poo poo if it’s Washburn University.

go ichabods

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

quote:

Later, Khelifa "observed 27 out of 31 females plummeting and playing dead to avoid males, with 21 of these ploys successful." Who are these six creep dragonflies who did not take "playing dead" as a no?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

LOL that that's their literal mascot. Founder worship much?

Also,

Wikipedia posted:

On June 8, 1966, only a few days after classes were dismissed for the summer, much of the campus was demolished by a tornado, and completely denuded of trees.[7] Three months before the tornado struck, the Washburn Board of Trustees had reinsured every building on campus for the maximum amount.

:crossarms:

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-
EVE Online's latest war is being fought over anime

http://www.pcgamer.com/eve-onlines-latest-war-is-being-fought-over-anime/

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/KatieS/status/858506085694439424

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

quote:

Immediately following the decree, players dubbed the emerging conflict World War Weeb and the propaganda wheels began turning

This is so dumb. I love it.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

So are the pro-anime or anti-anime soldiers mostly goons?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The MSJ posted:

yes

Breaking News

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Hey I'm on a diet here. You need to NSFW links that mention waffles so many times.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Hey I'm on a diet here. You need to NSFW links that mention waffles so many times.

More importantly.

The MSJ posted:

Edit: quote is not edit.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Platystemon posted:

There are two things to consider. First, prestigious universities tend to end up with only the most disastrously middle and upper class liberal sorts. Secondly, while about half the population is filled with people considered to be good students, the other half is either important enough or just buys their way in. An anecdote that really does nothing to prove my point, but is amusing. Andy Schlafly and Barack Obama were in the same graduating class for law at Harvard.

Tiberius Thyben has a new favorite as of 17:33 on Apr 30, 2017

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
From the SCOTUS thread:

Rigel posted:

Trump's DOJ is testing the limits of how evil they can be in the supreme court

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/857414277480710144

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Absurd Alhazred posted:

From the SCOTUS thread:

This is pretty lovely to me as well because I've ended up on the wrong side of it. I was born in Canada to American parents. Should be really easy for me to get my naturalization completed after my parents divorced and my mom and I moved down to Florida, right?

Nope. Came back with a big rubber stamp denying it for "lying on the form". Turns out my dad had renounced his US citizenship after my birth without telling anyone. He was still a citizen at the time, but because we had put down that he was a citizen on the form we ended up getting rejected.

The ensuing paperwork has taken so long that we've switched presidents twice since then and I'm 25 without a passport or any other documentation demonstrating citizenship. I'm stuck getting annual ID cards with Canadian citizenship paperwork until it gets sorted out.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

chitoryu12 posted:

This is pretty lovely to me as well because I've ended up on the wrong side of it. I was born in Canada to American parents. Should be really easy for me to get my naturalization completed after my parents divorced and my mom and I moved down to Florida, right?

Nope. Came back with a big rubber stamp denying it for "lying on the form". Turns out my dad had renounced his US citizenship after my birth without telling anyone. He was still a citizen at the time, but because we had put down that he was a citizen on the form we ended up getting rejected.

The ensuing paperwork has taken so long that we've switched presidents twice since then and I'm 25 without a passport or any other documentation demonstrating citizenship. I'm stuck getting annual ID cards with Canadian citizenship paperwork until it gets sorted out.

That really sucks. :smith:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Absurd Alhazred posted:

That really sucks. :smith:

It's one of the reasons I'm really sympathetic toward illegal immigrants and the like. I know firsthand how difficult it is even for a white boy from Canada with a clean criminal record and American parents to get citizenship straightened out, because even the slightest mistake will set you back years. And not everyone is lucky enough to have all the advantages I do when applying. I actually had everything taken care of, and then suddenly got a letter saying that I needed to submit a new passport photo because they had taken so long to process my paperwork that my photo was rejected for being too old by the time they were ready to use it.

The only reason I have a current ID card is because my mom included a certified, long form copy of my birth certificate with my dad's death certificate in the paperwork she used to get me Social Security. Our initial request for a birth certificate copy to get my new card was denied because of new rules requiring a guarantor (with Canadian citizenship and part of a limited number of professions, like a notary or lawyer) to sign off on my request to prove that it's not fraud. If we didn't find that copy buried in the bottom of a storage bin, I'd probably still be carrying around an expired driver's license and hoping nobody looked at the expiration date.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

It's one of the reasons I'm really sympathetic toward illegal immigrants and the like. I know firsthand how difficult it is even for a white boy from Canada with a clean criminal record and American parents to get citizenship straightened out, because even the slightest mistake will set you back years. And not everyone is lucky enough to have all the advantages I do when applying. I actually had everything taken care of, and then suddenly got a letter saying that I needed to submit a new passport photo because they had taken so long to process my paperwork that my photo was rejected for being too old by the time they were ready to use it.

The only reason I have a current ID card is because my mom included a certified, long form copy of my birth certificate with my dad's death certificate in the paperwork she used to get me Social Security. Our initial request for a birth certificate copy to get my new card was denied because of new rules requiring a guarantor (with Canadian citizenship and part of a limited number of professions, like a notary or lawyer) to sign off on my request to prove that it's not fraud. If we didn't find that copy buried in the bottom of a storage bin, I'd probably still be carrying around an expired driver's license and hoping nobody looked at the expiration date.

AT this point its probably easier to just get a fake ID.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Solice Kirsk posted:

AT this point its probably easier to just get a fake ID.

As long as I have a copy of my birth certificate, I can continue going to the DMV every year and renewing my ID. But I won't lie and say I hadn't thought about making a fake ID with the card maker at work as long as I could find the right laminate.

The best part is having people try to tell me to my face that I'm wrong and need to just go get my citizenship that I already have, because didn't you know that being born in another country to American parents is automatic US citizenship and you're going about it all the wrong way?

chitoryu12 has a new favorite as of 00:26 on May 2, 2017

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Here's a reference I never thought I'd read in Politico of all places

quote:

What’s that howling ricocheting through the liberal precincts? It’s only New York Times readers and writers greeting the arrival of neoconservative pundit Bret Stephens to the newspaper’s op-ed page as if he’s Slenderman coming to murder their children. His debut column in Saturday’s edition, a guns-blazing counterattack on those who call him a climate denier, has traumatized the Times mind-meld like nothing before.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

My niece, when she was maybe 11 or so(?) not only knew about slenderman but the extended universe which is apparently quite vast. She and her schoolmates in rural Washington state chose characters to play as. :wtc:

I don't think she has a forums account either it just sort of spread somehow.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

syscall girl posted:

My niece, when she was maybe 11 or so(?) not only knew about slenderman but the extended universe which is apparently quite vast. She and her schoolmates in rural Washington state chose characters to play as. :wtc:

My 7 year old nephew asked me if I knew about him. It's a pretty cool look into how urban legends form and spread. There's a whole generation of kids where Slenderman is going to be like Bloody Mary was to me and my friends.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I remember back when Slenderman was just starting to get hashed out someone from the thread tried to make a Wikipedia page that got deleted for not being notable and an SA meme. A few years ago my cousin, 14-ish I think, went as him for Halloween. It was really weird seeing something become notable like that.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

syscall girl posted:

I think by now the amount of people who knows about Slenderman that can name its origin is less than people who can name the guy who would be America's current king if George Washington decided to make America a monarchy.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

The MSJ posted:

I think by now the amount of people who knows about Slenderman that can name its origin is less than people who can name the guy who would be America's current king if George Washington decided to make America a monarchy.

The latter is super complicated, given the question of whether Washington would have made one of his grand-nephews his heir, or if he would have made his wife's grandson George Washington Parke Custis his heir (Custis was his ward, and he got by far the best share of Washington's estate of any individual beneficiary).

I mean, if Washington had been King, Custis would have been raised in court, and as such may have been seen as better suited to be crown prince than one of the grand-nephews, who by all accounts were hunting and drinking Virginia gentlemen at best. The degree of consanguinity of a grand-nephew vs. a ward was already pretty moot by 1799, in terms of Western monarchies.

Genealogy websites make a big whoop about Bushrod Washington's descendants, but history suggests Washington was much closer to his step-grandson than any of his nephews or grand-nephews.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Solice Kirsk posted:

My 7 year old nephew asked me if I knew about him.

Your nephew is now going to sacrifice you to Slenderman.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

The MSJ posted:

Yeah, from my experience people don't know Slenderman as "that creepypasta thing" but rather as "that horror videogame monster".

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

AlbieQuirky posted:

The latter is super complicated, given the question of whether Washington would have made one of his grand-nephews his heir, or if he would have made his wife's grandson George Washington Parke Custis his heir (Custis was his ward, and he got by far the best share of Washington's estate of any individual beneficiary).

I mean, if Washington had been King, Custis would have been raised in court, and as such may have been seen as better suited to be crown prince than one of the grand-nephews, who by all accounts were hunting and drinking Virginia gentlemen at best. The degree of consanguinity of a grand-nephew vs. a ward was already pretty moot by 1799, in terms of Western monarchies.

Genealogy websites make a big whoop about Bushrod Washington's descendants, but history suggests Washington was much closer to his step-grandson than any of his nephews or grand-nephews.

Now I want to read an alt-history about a United Kingdom of North America and the War of the Kings George.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Your nephew is now going to sacrifice you to Slenderman.

I always knew these forums would be the death of me.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

syscall girl posted:

It spread a lot through a YouTube channel called marble hornets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
Maybe I just fell for an Onion site but this:

FBI Agent Marries ISIS Terrorist She Was Investigating

quote:

German-born terrorist Cuspert – who was also a rapper known as Deso Dogg – was thought of as one of the most violent in Syria and has been videoed holding human heads, praising Osama bin Laden and threatening Barack Obama.

Greene, the 38-year-old agent, could have been reeled in by the brainwashing tactics of the extremist – known in Syria as Abu Talha al-Almani – but after a few weeks of their marriage she panicked and returned to the states.