Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I didn't actually realize she was dead until I re-read the chapter and thought about what 'giving up her power' entailed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

I am sure by now the marleyans have found a new medical way to transfer a titan compassionately between consenting Eldians

:unsmith:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I had already assumed her death back with her letter.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
You know...I thought that the series was gonna take a nosedive after the basement because like, nothing could actually live up to the expectations right? I figured it was just going to be some generic "Evil people are using this island as an experiment and the outside world is super rich and cool actually."

Instead the author made the whole series suddenly go into some fun fantasy politics about superpowered weapons, and went like all in. That's what is really selling it for me, the basement actually changed the scope of the story, how it's presented, and everything else. The author is showing some drat fine commitment to the idea and that's making me totally roll with everything. And I really, really like the idea of controlling Titans being less of a take-over-the-world power and more of a "Well, technology kinda trumps that, so screw your weird ancient curse" level of power. Gives everything a nice tone to it.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

It's funny. I was kind of becoming more and more apathetic about the series and dropped it for several months until I heard that they actually got to the basement, and was super surprised that it not only actually delivered a satisfying answer to pretty much everything so far in the series, but gave it an interesting way forward.

Also, somewhat related, the amount of hate I've seen for the recent events in the series is really strange. Just earlier today I saw someone describe it as nazi apologia, and have to wonder if I'm reading the same attack on titan that they are.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

I didn't anticipate the armor titan getting PTSD flashbacks of his time genociding a bunch of eldians when I first started watching this series...

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

mabels big day posted:

I'm glad ymirs dead.

nice homophobia

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

comedyblissoption posted:

I didn't anticipate the armor titan getting PTSD flashbacks of his time genociding a bunch of eldians when I first started watching this series...

It would be fun if his 'solider' persona returns, in the middle of all Marleyans.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

One thing I didn't realize is Ymir's 60 years as a titan implies grew up in Eldia just before the Marleyans took over. Ymir can read that ancient language that we've only seen from Frieda's book and the ones sent to Grisha from Owl. Did the marleyans purposely kill/titanize everyone who could read it? Guess it doesnt matter now though since she's dead and all (unless Galliard goes rogue at some point with her memories).

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Sub Harrison posted:

One thing I didn't realize is Ymir's 60 years as a titan implies grew up in Eldia just before the Marleyans took over.

Wait, does it? I thought the Marleyan's had been in power since the King of the Eldians first took (most of) his people to Paradise island, some two hundred years ago.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Finding out Ymir is dead is all the motivation Historia needs to wage a genocidal campaign against the Marley

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

U-DO Burger posted:

Finding out Ymir is dead is all the motivation Historia needs to wage a genocidal campaign against the Marley

She already knows.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

We already know what Armin's titan form looks like.

Post this in the anime thread after next episode.

Also gee, I really wish they wouldn't bring speculation from off site into an ongoing series, that was clearly trolling done by someone on reddit.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Schwarzwald posted:

Wait, does it? I thought the Marleyan's had been in power since the King of the Eldians first took (most of) his people to Paradise island, some two hundred years ago.

I think so. I think in the first chapter of Grisha's backstory they mentioned there was a 40 year war after the King left before Marleyans took control of the Eldians, and the king left 100 years ago so it adds up to 60 years since Eldians would even be allowed to praise Ymir on the streets.

Sub Harrison fucked around with this message at 06:24 on May 4, 2017

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
I loving love the Anime thread's speculations right now. They're basically the same things we thought. What is it that makes everyone so sure that Monkey Trouble is a third faction? The fact that he doesn't know about 3D gear?

Also, next time someone here posts in that thread, you should drop the name Monkey Trouble so they at least know the proper lingo.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I think the idea is that if the beast titan was with Annie (and Reiner/Bert) he'd have been inside the walls as long as they have, and thus know about 3DMG, yeah.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
His appearance almost got Reiner and Bert killed.

I think I forgot what Reiner and company are supposed to be doing in Paradis. Looking for how to get the Coordination ability? It seems like a pretty big gamble for a country that relies on Titans' strength to send four shifter children away for years to a place covered in titans that are happy to eat them.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
They were sent in to do what Grisha did. Breaching the wall might've been an attempt to lure the Founding Titan out, and when that didn't work they decided to use the ensuing chaos to infiltrate the military.

12-14 does seem rather young, though.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Infiltrate the walls, and find the King.

It might be easier to sneak children into a refugee population than adults.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I thought this chapter said that they made titan juice out of Zeke's spinal fluid, which is also why he was able to control those titans despite not having the coordinate. Isn't extracting spinal fluid extremely painful but very possible, especially considering shifters have a healing factor?

The detail about people being injected with Zeke's spinal fluid before he can transform them into titans with his shout was maybe the first thing that doesn't make sense anyway you look at it considering what happened in Connie's village. Those people were transformed into titans inside their own homes, apparently while they were sleeping. How did he round everyone up to inject them? Why would they be sent back inside afterward?

Regarding Marley I'm even more convinced the Eldians are completely innocent of everything they're accused off. If Marley never developed anti titan weaponry how could they possibly have defeated the Eldians. It's much more likely they were experimenting on titan technology on the (for some reason) despised Eldian minority and at some point the Eldians revolted. Likely there was a split in the Eldian leadership, part of them grew tired of the slaughter and decided to abandon the continent altogether, hoping they'd be left alone.
Since Marley is a totalitarian state it's possible that the ordinary people believe the official story but I just don't see how it could have played out like they claim. It just reeks of blood libel, I can see the nazis creating such a story to justify their oppression of the jews if a similar event had taken place in WWII.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

MeLKoR posted:

The detail about people being injected with Zeke's spinal fluid before he can transform them into titans with his shout was maybe the first thing that doesn't make sense anyway you look at it considering what happened in Connie's village. Those people were transformed into titans inside their own homes, apparently while they were sleeping. How did he round everyone up to inject them? Why would they be sent back inside afterward?

Regarding Marley I'm even more convinced the Eldians are completely innocent of everything they're accused off. If Marley never developed anti titan weaponry how could they possibly have defeated the Eldians. It's much more likely they were experimenting on titan technology on the (for some reason) despised Eldian minority and at some point the Eldians revolted. Likely there was a split in the Eldian leadership, part of them grew tired of the slaughter and decided to abandon the continent altogether, hoping they'd be left alone.
Since Marley is a totalitarian state it's possible that the ordinary people believe the official story but I just don't see how it could have played out like they claim. It just reeks of blood libel, I can see the nazis creating such a story to justify their oppression of the jews if a similar event had taken place in WWII.

assumedly he pretended was a doctor or something.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Zeke probably posed as a doctor and injected the fluid under the guise of a vaccine.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
It's actually pretty drat hard to pull off something like that, people don't like weird injections, especially if the people before you in line start acting weird and conked out. And anyone you fail to inject becomes a witness who can scuttle your plan.

So it's a plot hole, but you can sort of ignore it.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
a strange man vaccinated my son and now he has autism :(

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Wouldn't extracting enough spinal fluid to turn a village into Titans have left him paralyzed?

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Wouldn't extracting enough spinal fluid to turn a village into Titans have left him paralyzed?

Presumably as a 20m gorilla man he's got enough to go around

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

JahRoo posted:

Presumably as a 20m gorilla man he's got enough to go around

Shifters also regenerate

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
I assume Zeke poisoned their water supply or something. Rod Reiss managed to transform by licking the evaporating contents of a serum vial off the floor, so it doesn't take much.

In It For The Tank fucked around with this message at 15:56 on May 5, 2017

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Zeke wasn't even certain they spoke the same language.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Although it does reek of being a retcon (more because he is unfamiliar with 3DMG than anything), I think you can read the scene as Zeke being sarcastic and that he was just taunting Mike in a kind of "what, cat got your tongue?" way.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

I really liked this chapter.

So we have 9 as a confirmed number

Lets just pull up the anime real quick.

Founding
Colossal, Beast, Female
(Not in any order)Jaw, Armor, Mule, Attack, ???

Sound right?

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 5, 2017

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
What happens if a guy eats Annie? I mean, its the female type

Green Tea Erotica
May 5, 2010

Anything you can do I can do BETTER

Elias_Maluco posted:

What happens if a guy eats Annie? I mean, its the female type

Fanfics happen.
But seriously, I assume they'd just be a Lady Titan. We know that the Regular Titans are all Male looking with no reproductive organs or breasts, we've seen plenty of Female titan faces with the normal totally Male looking bodies.

EDIT: And I'm assuming a Female is just going to get that Titan to keep the question unanswered. (BUT WHO!?)

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Fat and Useless posted:

I really liked this chapter.

So we have 9 as a confirmed number

Lets just pull up the anime real quick.

Founding
Colossal, Beast, Female
(Not in any order)Jaw, Armor, Mule, Erin's odd mix, ???

Sound right?

Eren has the founding Titan in him since his dad ate Freida and he ate his dad, but the titan shifter form he actively manifests as is The Attack Titan. As in, The Titan of Attacking. The Shingeki No Kyojin. The title was actually referring to the titan Eren is. Presumably the royal families would refrain from stealing each others' powers since then when the user dies without passing the power on, all the powers would be back to being born in random babies they can't easily track down.

In It For The Tank posted:

I assume Zeke poisoned their water supply or something. Rod Reiss managed to transform by licking the evaporating contents of a serum vial off the floor, so it doesn't take much.

Rod licking the serum off the floor turned him into a huge hosed up and extremely lovely titan who resembled a giant rotisserie chicken, and who would not have even been able to eat any Titan Shifter presented before him since it could barely lift its eat/he would incinerate them before it got into his mouth. So maybe the serum only works properly and reliably when injected. Lots of the titans from Connie's village are pretty heinous looking, and Connie's mom came out with lovely useless limbs, and his dad became such a manlet of a titan he could fit inside of an average home just by bending over (Connie's dad is the one that Sasha saved the girl from).

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

By odd mix I was referring to attack+harden, could that harden be considered for number 9 or can regular titans just mutate to have it?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I'm assuming you can turn people into various categories of mindless titan based on which initial shifter you draw the spinal fluid from.

Presumably the titan serum Eren injested was taken from the spinal fluid of a previous armored titan shifter, and the spinal fluid Rod Reiss took was from a previous giant titan shifter.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So, I forget:

We're told that each of the 'special' Titans is a unique and irreplaceable type, right?

What does that mean for the Colossal Titans in the walls?

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Schwarzwald posted:

I'm assuming you can turn people into various categories of mindless titan based on which initial shifter you draw the spinal fluid from.

Presumably the titan serum Eren injested was taken from the spinal fluid of a previous armored titan shifter, and the spinal fluid Rod Reiss took was from a previous giant titan shifter.

Would explain wall titans being giant hardeners. Speaking of which Armin probably should have taken a wall titan's harden in a perfect world right?

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012
Man so I know we're a few eps in now, but that S2 ED is absolutely haunting as a manga reader. :stare: The whole being forced to eat your countrymen forever was a pretty satisfyingly hosed up explanation for the mindless titans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Fat and Useless posted:

Would explain wall titans being giant hardeners. Speaking of which Armin probably should have taken a wall titan's harden in a perfect world right?

They still have that option. There is no shortage of wall titans to drawn spinal fluid from (or eat), unless it turns out that the fluid needs to specifically come from the shifter and not second hand. Even if that is the case, they could still swap between Armin and Eren and possibly give each other the ability to shift to the others size.

Then again, maybe it isn't wise to experiment when it's not needed.