Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

get that OUT of my face posted:

i'm so glad that the probable next state senator for harlem is the second guy down on this real estate development company and that he was basically put there on the democratic line (without a primary) because the president of the manhattan democrats wanted him there

Tammany Hall, the fire that shall will never be extinguished. :patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

so is alex jones or some other crank declaring war on judges? like, more than there's been over the past couple decades?

Alex Jones is too busy trying to legally prove he doesn't really believe lizardpeople are trying to make everyone into gay autists.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Tammany Hall, the fire that shall will never be extinguished. :patriot:
tammany hall was better for the working class

MizPiz posted:

Alex Jones is too busy trying to legally prove he doesn't really believe lizardpeople are trying to make everyone into gay autists.
he'll be facing the wrath of family court soon enough

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

there's a special election coming up in the 9th assembly district and there's a good chance to flip the seat to a Sanders Democrat. long story short: Pellegrino was a Sanders delegate last year (admittedly this doesn't mean so much as Alcantara was as well), she wasn't going to get the Democratic nomination for the election, she went to the Working Families Party, the Dems ended up choosing her to avoid humiliation and retribution from the WFP, she won't be getting much (or any) help from the local and state party, but she's got lots of union backing in a union-heavy district in Suffolk County

the election is May 23rd. anyone out in the armpit of Long Island should consider volunteering for her campaign

edit: the Suffolk County Dems aren't supporting her because the head of it is under investigation for fundraising irregularities. gg ny

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 04:21 on Apr 22, 2017

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Is anyone ITT in favor of a constitutional convention?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Tweezer Reprise posted:

what're the odds on uber operating anywhere in ulster

Hopefully never because Uber's business practices are predatory as hell. I didn't know there were other people on SA from Ulster County

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

GalacticAcid posted:

Nope. That :can: is more dangerous than any benefit it can provide.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
That was my sense as well. The unions are firmly against it.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

GalacticAcid posted:

That was my sense as well. The unions are firmly against it.
seeing as cuomo cursed about how unions would have a lot of influence on the process, it's easy to see why they're against it

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Oh, dear.

https://twitter.com/GannettAlbany/status/859202377194319872

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

GalacticAcid posted:

Absolutely. Also New King's Democrats are working with various other progressive clubs to have a Con Con.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Absolutely. Also New King's Democrats are working with various other progressive clubs to have a Con Con.
an appropriate name for something that will completely gently caress over lots of people

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
it won't gently caress over anyone unless you just sit back and let it be run like NYC politics. In fact it has great potential to fundamentally change the state for the better.

but yea if no one gets involved then people like Hillary will write it and it will be poo poo for 99% of people. not unlike how it is now.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I can't decide if Trenton or Albany is the bigger shithole of a state capital

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

etalian posted:

Do you mean the city or the governmental goings on?

Because if you mean the former, Albany is less of a shithole by a mile. It's a pretty okay college town when you get down to it, while Trenton is just a post-industrial shithole.

If you mean the latter, pretty sure the sheer number of convicts that have been booted out of our legislature in the past few years gives NY the current title, though it's far from safe, and Jersey had quite a championship run.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

CaptainPsyko posted:

Do you mean the city or the governmental goings on?

Because if you mean the former, Albany is less of a shithole by a mile. It's a pretty okay college town when you get down to it, while Trenton is just a post-industrial shithole.

If you mean the latter, pretty sure the sheer number of convicts that have been booted out of our legislature in the past few years gives NY the current title, though it's far from safe, and Jersey had quite a championship run.

But who has more criminals that are still in the state legislator?

All I know is that the answer won't surprise me.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

MizPiz posted:

But who has more criminals that are still in the state legislator?

All I know is that the answer won't surprise me.

Almost certainly New York. It's shockingly hard to remove a legislator from office!!!!!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

CaptainPsyko posted:

Almost certainly New York. It's shockingly hard to remove a legislator from office!!!!!

Make defenestration great again

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

etalian posted:

As a city, I like living in Downtown Albany. It's fun to just walk around, weather permitting. Never been to Trenton, so I don't know.

As for corruption...

CaptainPsyko posted:

Hey, Silver and Skelos got convicted and removed in shame! By that great DA for the Southern District, who's about to root out.. Oh, wait, he's no longer there, he was fired. NEVER MIND! :smith:

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

As a city, I like living in Downtown Albany. It's fun to just walk around, weather permitting. Never been to Trenton, so I don't know.

As for corruption...

Hey, Silver and Skelos got convicted and removed in shame! By that great DA for the Southern District, who's about to root out.. Oh, wait, he's no longer there, he was fired. NEVER MIND! :smith:

I gotta get back up there sometime soon. I kinda miss bombers of all things.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

CaptainPsyko posted:

I gotta get back up there sometime soon. I kinda miss bombers of all things.

LOL. I occasionally eat there. It's all right. For real Mexican food there's an El Mariachi just down the block, they felt the one on Swan wasn't enough for Center Square.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
they closed the troy bombers and put in a wolffs which has lead me to eat less burritos but drink more beer

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

uncurable mlady posted:

they closed the troy bombers and put in a wolffs which has lead me to eat less burritos but drink more beer

I keep passing by it on my way to Brown's. Probably will tomorrow, as well. Never had a chance to pop in.

Edit: Woops, this isn't the Upstate NY LAN thread! :blush:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

etalian posted:

they still make taylor ham in Trenton (don't fight me on the "correct" way of pronouncing it, please) so it's got that going for it, at least

I Am A Robot
Jul 1, 2006

GalacticAcid posted:

I absolutely am and all the arguments against it seem to just be unwarranted scare tactics by people who don't understand the process.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Bo Deitl is a moron.

Bo Dietl Won’t Be Running as a Republican on Mayoral Ballot

Now, he tried to run as a Democrat, but he's a moron.

quote:

Mr. Dietl, who voted for President Trump and describes himself as a lifelong Republican, had attempted to enroll as a member of the Democratic Party last year when he changed his voter registration to New York City, from Nassau County, so that he could challenge Mr. de Blasio in the Democratic primary. But he filled out the registration form incorrectly by checking the boxes for two political parties — Democratic and Independence — when only one is permitted. As a result he ended up without any party affiliation.

So he went to court about it, and got shut down, and did I mention that he's a moron?

quote:

Mr. Dietl, who is not a registered member of any political party, appeared to have harmed his candidacy during a Republican candidate screening last week when, in the final minutes, he compared a state court judge to Mr. de Blasio’s wife; both woman are black.

quote:

“The judge looked like Charlene de Blasio,” Mr. Dietl told a packed room of Republican Party members and leaders on the Upper East Side during the candidate screening. He was referring to Mr. de Blasio’s wife, Chirlane McCray. “As soon as I saw her,” he said. “I knew I had a problem.”

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Can we make this guy the thread mascot

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Can someone do an effortpost on the pros and cons of a convention or point me to some decent articles? I feel like it's gone underreported and I am not informed on this subject.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Never thought I would see a cop in NYC do any admirable thing

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.

Pablo Gigante posted:

Hopefully never because Uber's business practices are predatory as hell. I didn't know there were other people on SA from Ulster County

greetings county friend

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i got an email from my local DSA meeting group about the con con, taken from somebody's union retiree newsletter

quote:

Keep Your Eye on the Con Con – An Update

Over the past year, we’ve written repeatedly about the potential dangers involved in this fall’s New York State ballot referendum on whether or not to hold a State Constitutional Convention. Most unions, including OSA, are urging a “No” vote on the referendum because of the potential risks to public employee pensions and collective bargaining rights and much more. Here, thanks to information provided by the New York State Alliance for Retired Americans, is an update.

NYSARA points out that on April 20 , a new Siena Poll revealed that 61% of respondents said they knew nothing at all and another 24% said they knew not very much about the upcoming convention ballot question. Only 5% said they knew a great deal and 8% some about ConCon. Yet, when the same respondents were asked if they supported a Constitutional Convention, 59% said they did, 22% said they opposed it and 18% didn't know. Even more concerning, among union members, 57% supported the Convention and only 30% opposed it, with 13% saying they didn't know.

The effort to derail what could be a disaster for seniors in general and public sector workers in particular requires a massive commitment and a great deal of work. In 1997, the last time a Convention was placed before the public, it was defeated with the active support and funding of organized labor, but the political climate is quite different this year than it was in 1997.

Multiple groups supporting the Convention are forming. Among those are the NY People's Convention (https://nypeoplesconvention.org); the Committee for a Constitutional Convention (https://concon19.org), and ReclaimNY (https://reclaimnewyork.org). They all have the potential to raise a significant amount of funding. In addition, the general sense among the public is that New York State government is dominated by special interests and is corrupt, a perception aided by recent convictions of Assembly and Senate leaders. As with the 2016 presidential election, the possibility of a vote for change without regard to the details is plausible.

Meanwhile, those arguing against the Convention include virtually all of Labor, including the NYS AFL-CIO, the Working Families Party, the Conservative Party, the NRA, immigration groups, the NYS Association of Counties, Senate Majority Leader Flanagan, Assembly Speaker Heastie and Senate Independent Democrats Leader Klein. Those favoring the ConCon so far include the NYS and NYC Bar Associations, the Long Island Association (business lobby), the NYS League of Women Voters and Assembly Minority Leader Kolb. Among the many concerns voiced by Labor is the possibility of an influx of funding from right wing, anti-union groups based out-of-state in support of the referendum with the goal of diminishing worker rights in New York, a state which has maintained high union density in the face of nationwide attacks on unions, particularly in the public sector. It’s time to become familiar with the Convention referendum and begin to talk with neighbors, friends and relatives about ensuring a “no” vote.
the only thing lacking are links to sites against the convention, but i think this email does a good job of outlining the concerns, all of which i share

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Thanks a ton, man. This is exactly what I was looking for.

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice
What exactly is the issue that is hoped to be brought up at the convention?

That's what I feel like I'm missing here.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
NKD's tenets are:

● Enact meaningful campaign finance reform to get big money out of our state and local politics.
● Close the LLC loophole that allows corporations to evade campaign contribution limits.
● Keep corrupt lawmakers convicted of defrauding the public from receiving taxpayer-funded pensions.
● Protect the right to vote by guaranteeing automatic voter registration, allowing online registration, and creating oversight mechanisms for state and local Boards of Election.
● Restore the right to vote to people involved in the criminal justice system.
● Adopt strict disclosure requirements for public officials, campaigns, and lobbyists.

Quoted verbatim from here.

Doesn't seem worth the risk to me at all.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

unbutthurtable posted:

What exactly is the issue that is hoped to be brought up at the convention?

That's what I feel like I'm missing here.

That's the thing. The constitution has a trigger for an open ended convention in which any amendment can be fast tracked versus the usual process, which requires amendments to pass the legislature and then a statewide ballot referendum.

It's a hell of a lot easier for folks with a lot of money to take over a convention than it is for them to win all of the poo poo they want at the ballot in November.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

GalacticAcid posted:

NKD's tenets are:

● Enact meaningful campaign finance reform to get big money out of our state and local politics.
● Close the LLC loophole that allows corporations to evade campaign contribution limits.
● Keep corrupt lawmakers convicted of defrauding the public from receiving taxpayer-funded pensions.
● Protect the right to vote by guaranteeing automatic voter registration, allowing online registration, and creating oversight mechanisms for state and local Boards of Election.
● Restore the right to vote to people involved in the criminal justice system.
● Adopt strict disclosure requirements for public officials, campaigns, and lobbyists.

Quoted verbatim from here.

Doesn't seem worth the risk to me at all.

Nearly everything on that list can be done with legislation without a con con.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
So if we can't trust the government (being against the con con) then how will anything ever get better?

i got an email from my local DSA meeting group about the con con, taken from somebody's union retiree newsletter

the only thing lacking are links to sites against the convention, but i think this email does a good job of outlining the concerns, all of which i share

What are the actual reasons to be against a con con? Because I see people who are "concerned" but I see zero concerns.

ate shit on live tv has issued a correction as of 01:44 on May 5, 2017

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

So if we can't trust the government (being against the con con) then how will anything ever get better?

What are the actual reasons to be against a con con? Because I see people who are "concerned" but I see zero concerns.

Because at the end of the day, a con con is going to be run by the same people that are running our state government right now, more or less, and subject to all of the same external pressures and incentives. Except unlike when the constitution is amended by those fuckers under normal circumstances, the poo poo they do won't have to come back to you for a vote to approve it.

All of the things that groups like NKD seem to want to do via a convention can be done through ordinary legislation, and a lot of the Bad poo poo that Bad People With A Lot Of Money want to do can't be done without one, it seems like a fairly poor risk/reward trade.

The main argument in favor basically seems to boil down to "we will get to elect convention representatives who are not incumbents and can therefore short circuit the legislature!!!"

Well, guess who is going to have the resources to win those seats? Wanna short circuit the legislature? How about backing candidates to unseat the incumbents you so oppose instead. If you can't muster the resources to do that, what makes you think you'll win at a convention?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
lovely incumbents are WAY harder to unseat then getting progressive convention representatives elected. The money part is true, but that's not really a new problem, and it will exist regardless. Right now things are getting worse for most people in the state. Doing nothing will ensure that things will continue getting worse.

Plus every single progressive club in the city is also attempting to unseat lovely incumbents. Many are also working for a con con. They are hardly exclusive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

lovely incumbents are WAY harder to unseat then getting progressive convention representatives elected. The money part is true, but that's not really a new problem, and it will exist regardless. Right now things are getting worse for most people in the state. Doing nothing will ensure that things will continue getting worse.

Plus every single progressive club in the city is also attempting to unseat lovely incumbents. Many are also working for a con con. They are hardly exclusive.

Resources are finite. I have limited faith in their ability to make the latter successful given their poor work on the former. You can't unseat lovely incumbents when nobody is mounting serious challenges to them.