Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
BIG BOOOOOOOOOOOTS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
*Checks vinyl collection, OKC oddly has never been purchased*

Well, that's all the justification I needed.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

dirksteadfast posted:

*Checks vinyl collection, OKC oddly has never been purchased*

Well, that's all the justification I needed.

Yeah, I probably didn't NEED to purchase the deluxe edition but here we are.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I guess this means that their shows over the next few months will have quite a bit of OKC in it, which is awesome.

I'm not too keen on the concept of getting people to buy the album again to get the three new tracks but then again iTunes, Spotify and Apple Music exist so eh.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Boywhiz88 posted:

Yeah, I probably didn't NEED to purchase the deluxe edition but here we are.

I can't even imagine how many times i've listened to OKC in the past 20 years so I feel like it's worth it.

I think the only money I've spent on OKC was buying the standard-rear end compact disc for $15 in high school.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

If it was In Rainbows or Kid A I'd probably get the stupidly expensive edition.

Indie editions? http://www.resident-music.com/productdetails&product_id=48566

Dugong fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 2, 2017

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
So if you have the airbag and no surprises ep's you have most of those songs already, right?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Yeah, but colored vinyl sounds like dog doo

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

BigFactory posted:

So if you have the airbag and no surprises ep's you have most of those songs already, right?

Yeah, there are 3 on there that haven't been officially released.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

drat, looks like you can do Paypal, but it won't let you do Paypal credit? I wanted that six months of financing on this thing. :smith:

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax
How in the gently caress am I going to make it until June 23rd? :negative:

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

AARO posted:

How in the gently caress am I going to make it until June 23rd? :negative:

Haven't you heard all those songs already?

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax

BigFactory posted:

Haven't you heard all those songs already?

Not studio versions of I promise, Big Boots and Lift.

What the hell is your reason for making GBS threads on my excitement?

Radiohead has been my favorite band since 1995. I had mixed tapes with the unreleased songs live when I was a little kid. Now I'm finally going to be able to hear the studio versions.

AARO fucked around with this message at 05:08 on May 3, 2017

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
Oh man, I am REAL curious about Lift and Big Boots. Might be live cuts?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Where are you seeing that Big Boots is on this at all?

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

Rollersnake posted:

Where are you seeing that Big Boots is on this at all?

Man O War is an alternate name for Big Boots.

Here are the lyrics:

Big Boots

Drift all you like
From ocean to ocean
Search the whole world
But drunken confessions
And hijacked affairs will
Just make you more alone

If you come home
I’ll bake you a cake
Made of all their eyes
I wish you could see me
Dressed for the kill
What a nasty surprise
You’re my man-o-war

And the worms will come for you
Big Boots

So unplug the phones
Stop all the taps
It all comes flooding back
From poisoned cloud
To poisoned dwarf
What a nasty surprise
You’re my man-o-war

And the worms will come for you
Big boots
Yeah the worms will come for you
Big boots

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ordered the boxset because I can't help myself. Was caught off guard when I went back and realized that it doesn't come with a CD version, but then remembered that the only CD player I have these days is my old Discman from high school, and it's in been a box for ages. Which then lead me to the realization that I've only listened to music on streaming services on my phone/computer or on vinyl in the past six years, which I guess is why they didn't bother to include a CD version. Plus I can always burn my own copy with the .WAV files if I really want to.

I'm really excited for Big Boots and Lift, of course, but I'm also hoping that the b-sides got remastered. Polyethylene and Palo Alto are still two of my favorite Radiohead tracks, but the currently available versions could use some polish.

[Edit: I'm also overly hyped about what's on that cassette. It's 100% likely going to be outtakes and demos, but who knows, maybe an early version of Burn The Witch may make an appearance.]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 13:21 on May 3, 2017

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

AARO posted:

Not studio versions of I promise, Big Boots and Lift.

Radiohead has been my favorite band since 1995. I had mixed tapes with the unreleased songs live when I was a little kid. Now I'm finally going to be able to hear the studio versions.

There are studio versions of those on towering above the rest, though? Just seems like you were being a little dramatic for a 20th anniversary re-issue with 3 previously unreleased songs. I'm underwhelmed myself.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

BigFactory posted:

There are studio versions of those on towering above the rest, though? Just seems like you were being a little dramatic for a 20th anniversary re-issue with 3 previously unreleased songs. I'm underwhelmed myself.

IIRC the versions included on TATR are the best quality live versions available, not studio versions. It's doubtful that the versions on the rerelease will be significantly different than the widely shared live versions of the songs, but at the very least they'll be remastered studio editions, so they'll sound better.

Also Johnny apparently said that they were working on a version of Lift back in 2015, so it's possible that the version on the rerelease will actually be that one, or maybe an old version that's had some more recent reworking--which I kind of hope isn't the case, as I'd rather have a vintage '97 era version of Lift than an AMSP-style string-heavy slow version.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

BigFactory posted:

The towering above the rest versions are absolutely not studio recordings.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

AARO posted:

it's his gimmick

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Princeps32 posted:

The towering above the rest versions are absolutely not studio recordings.

Really? My wallet is so loving upset with me right now.

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

Mind blown about Lift and Big Boots. I thought we might see Lift at some point (heavily reworked), but I never thought Big Boots would see the light of day again. I am super excited but also a little sad; for me the unreleased holy trinity was always Lift/Big Boots/Follow Me Around. Getting two out of three means there's really only one classic left unreleased. :ohdear:

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Well I'm definitely going to at least get the vinyl version, but I'm working real hard at talking myself into the stupid box of tchotchkes.

edit: hoo boy, shipping on the regular vinyl version is $19 to the US. I sure do hope Amazon gets it at some point.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 3, 2017

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

AARO posted:

He's just upset because it won't be as good of an album to listen to at the beach as he was hoping from the next release.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Sand Monster posted:

He's just upset because it won't be as good of an album to listen to at the beach as he was hoping from the next release.

I know the joke but honestly Lift is one of the more beach-friendly Radiohead tracks.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

dirksteadfast posted:

I know the joke but honestly Lift is one of the more beach-friendly Radiohead tracks.

Don't forget the gym!

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax
I Promise is a little bit underwhelming on first listen.

I like it when the strings come in tho.

https://open.spotify.com/album/4S1vCHeXk7y2VgTYK1CZlY

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Bonus material is always fun, and I appreciate them releasing it. But if a song has been sitting dormant for over 20 years, especially from a band with a considerable output, it probably wasn't that great.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
Yep, that song's probably about as good as it was ever going to be, which is to say it's fine.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Jewmanji posted:

Bonus material is always fun, and I appreciate them releasing it. But if a song has been sitting dormant for over 20 years, especially from a band with a considerable output, it probably wasn't that great.

I'm still waiting for The Jerry Lewis.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
It's good! I kind of forgot this song ever existed so it felt fresh. Can see why it didn't make the cut, it doesn't really fit either the Bends or OK Computer.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
song sucks

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax
The video is cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sFvFVkeGVg

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

I've missed 90s Thom vocals. Digging it.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

This is like a window into a horrible parallel universe where Radiohead kept releasing The Bends over and over again for 20 years.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Welp this came out about as poorly as possible: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/thom-yorke-breaks-silence-on-israel-controversy-w485142

- Radiohead actually knows the MOST about Israel

- Radiohead does not understand why people would boycott Israel

- This is very upsetting and difficult for them

- Retarded!

- Jonny has Palestinian friends

- Radiohead are deeply offended (oppressed basically)

- "apartheid"

- how dare you

- literally not one mention of Palestinian plight

Decades fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jun 2, 2017

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

It's a typically Thom Yorke "angry" response. It's odd that it came out this way. Imagine if, instead, Jonny (who always seems clear-headed and patient, and has the wife card to play) had written a letter explaining the band's reasons for playing there, specifically addressing the concerns and how they don't think the boycott helps anything.

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jun 2, 2017

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Yeah that would've been much better. All the dummy had to do was say war is awful and we sympathize with both sides and love people on both sides and we want peace and we've thought long and hard about it and don't agree with the boycott

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

The big point Thom misses when he says "It's deeply disrespectful to assume that we're either being misinformed or that we're so retarded we can't make these decisions ourselves" is that no one cares if they're misinformed or "retarded". If you think the boycott is morally necessary, then you have to condemn breaches of the boycott. And you can't do it behind closed doors because then there's no pressure. If Thom saw someone stealing a wallet, he presumably wouldn't shrug and go "well, I guess that person knows what they're doing".

Instead he should be explaining why he thinks the boycott is bad news. And talking a bit less about his hurt feelings.