Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Hasn't Woj basically been at war with ESPN for like over a decade up until this point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Yahoo is collapsing, Fox could probably give a poo poo about the NBA, and there aren't many other options out there

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DJExile posted:

Hasn't Woj basically been at war with ESPN for like over a decade up until this point?

He used to work for them until like a decade ago, maybe he just wanted to come home.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Or maybe it's just a long con by Woj to hollow out the competition

https://twitter.com/WojVerticalNBA/status/859108365246574593

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
RIP Woj tweeting the NBA Draft five minutes from the future.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

His draft show last year was better than espns

Now he will have highlight footage too which is nice.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

C. Everett Koop posted:

As someone else pointed out on twitter you'll probably see a lot of that from ex ESPN guys like Mark Stein now that he doesn't have to worry about making the television people mad.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

C. Everett Koop posted:

https://twitter.com/SInow/status/859129921423192065

one more draft to spoil :unsmith:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ed Werder had some interesting insights into ESPN's layoffs

quote:

I did not know when I agreed to do the Doomsday Podcast with you that I would be able to devote myself to it full-time. I had no idea.

We knew ESPN was going to have significant layoffs of so-called “talent” … We knew there was going to be a significant talent cut. I had not accepted that my name might be included, although I had not eliminated the possibility. And here’s why I was concerned: Our good friend Mort after the season had told me that his understanding was that these cuts were going to be made and the quality of work was not going to be in consideration. So, it seemed to me that the quality of work should be the only consideration. If it’s not any part of the equation, then I kind of find myself a little vulnerable under that criteria.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Another Vertical guy was the one with all the scoop tweets last year. Of course it's possible Woj just had him do that to grow the brand or whatever.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Rick posted:

Another Vertical guy was the one with all the scoop tweets last year. Of course it's possible Woj just had him do that to grow the brand or whatever.

Shams Charania. I'd be kind of surprised if he didn't tag along

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

If he's going to ESPN, they're sure as hell not gonna let him undermine the product beforehand.

But yeah, someone else will tweet from the future who's going where before Silver and Co. do.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

SBNation launched a re-design today that looks like total dogshit

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

"come fan with us" is hilariously bad.

The rest of that looks like it was ripped out of 1998

E: lol this explanation is so loving jammed with empty buzzwords. It reads like a loving TED talk transcript

quote:

What you’re seeing on SB Nation is pretty. There’s brains behind that beauty. Everything from the revamped logo to the layout to the color palette was chosen to reflect the heart of SB Nation, the content we do everyday and the democracy of voices we want to invite to do sports with us.

When we initially started planning this refresh, we were hype about getting gussied up for the first time since SBNation.com initially launched. But the decision to refresh the brand made us think deeply, as a team, about what we do here. Our mission is in our DNA: SB Nation gives sports fans the place to be delighted, informed, and surprised. Together. Each piece of content that we create — from 3-1 blown lead memes to explaining how a little guy beats the big guys to nuanced commentary on the pressing issues of our day — is an invitation for sports fans to join us in our corner of the internet and marvel at what we’re seeing.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 1, 2017

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

DJExile posted:

"come fan with us" is hilariously bad.

The rest of that looks like it was ripped out of 1998

E: lol this explanation is so loving jammed with empty buzzwords. It reads like a loving TED talk transcript

Any time a company description order design/redesign opens with a mission statement, be very afraid.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Investigative reporter Don Van Natta is not only safe from the recent ESPN layoffs but was given a new contract as well

DJExile fucked around with this message at 04:13 on May 2, 2017

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

That redesign is terrible and was so obviously done from a place of desperation.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

It's weird, most redesigns have like functionality issues or practical flaws that you either get used to or get sanded down quick. This is pretty vanilla in terms of layout, it just like looks like all the graphics were drawn up by a college sophomore

Edit: this is what it looks like on mobile

Video menu button, ad disguised as a menu button, ad, no actual content

morestuff fucked around with this message at 05:36 on May 2, 2017

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
Site looks and works fine for me. Are you guys sure you are using a browser that supports frames?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

morestuff posted:

Edit: this is what it looks like on mobile

Well yeah, that's what you get for not owning a phablet. :colbert:

Best experienced on Netscape Navigator iPhone Plus or Galaxy Note [images of an odometer going nuts and a construction sign]

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Adam Jones pointed out that a chunk of Red Sox fans are pretty racist, but that's not enough for Albert Breer, he demands the evidence:

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/859444511461830656

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

God, Bomani's doing what he can to help him out too but goddamn he's picking it as his alamo

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Kalli posted:

Adam Jones pointed out that a chunk of Red Sox fans are pretty racist, but that's not enough for Albert Breer, he demands the evidence:

More specifically, he's casting doubt on Adam Jones's telling that he was called racial slurs at a game in Boston.

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/859414366462115842

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Lmao I've heard Red Sox fans in Toronto yell racist slurs at Yankee players during Jays/yankees games.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/BrandonGowton/status/859429546759774208

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Lmao I've heard Red Sox fans in Toronto yell racist slurs at Yankee players during Jays/yankees games.

I've never been to an MLB game and I've heard that poo poo on TV, where it should be harder to pick up. But hey, here's some more evidence for this loving idiot.

http://deadspin.com/a-scene-from-fenway-park-992990569

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2014/09/20/tommy-harper-still-haunted-time-with-red-sox/Tw0RLaFinaqTqkt8jLsYeP/story.html

They were also the last pre-integration MLB team to sign a black player.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

let us also never forget bruins fans going batshit when not only were they eliminated from the cup playoffs a few years ago, but the game winning goal was scored by *gasp* a black player

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

El Gallinero Gros posted:

They were also the last pre-integration MLB team to sign a black player.

And yet they currently have one of the higher percentages of African-American players in MLB. Now if only they could purge the racists from the stands I could go back to being smug about racist fans in other cities.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

quote:

As a result of repeated racial bigotry, Russell refused to respond to fan acclaim or friendship from his neighbors, thinking it was insincere and hypocritical. This attitude contributed to his legendarily bad rapport with fans and journalists.[40] He alienated Celtics fans by saying, "You owe the public the same it owes you, nothing! I refuse to smile and be nice to the kiddies."[70] This supported the opinion of many white fans that Russell (who was by then the highest-paid Celtic) was egotistical, paranoid and hypocritical. The already hostile atmosphere between Russell and Boston hit its apex when vandals broke into his house, covered the walls with racist graffiti, damaged his trophies and defecated in the beds.[70] In response, Russell described Boston as a "flea market of racism".[121] In King Of The Court by Aram Goudsouzian, he was quoted saying, "From my very first year I thought of myself as playing for the Celtics, not for Boston. The fans could do or think whatever they wanted."[122] Referring to a time when the Celtics could not sell out the Boston Garden despite hockey’s popularity in the same stadium, Russell recalled “We [the Celtics] did a survey about what we could do to improve attendance. Over 50 percent of responses said 'There’s too many black players.'”[123] In retirement, Russell described the Boston press as corrupt and racist; in response, Boston sports journalist Larry Claflin claimed that Russell himself was the real racist.[1244

yea but the writers actually didn't see the poo poo in the bed so it probably never happened

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Kalli posted:

just tweet SoilingOfOldGlory.jpg at him

Its not that hard

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

DJExile posted:

let us also never forget bruins fans going batshit when not only were they eliminated from the cup playoffs a few years ago, but the game winning goal was scored by *gasp* a black player

Didn't some Bruins fan respond to that with a picture of herself holding a noose or something?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Henchman of Santa posted:

Didn't some Bruins fan respond to that with a picture of herself holding a noose or something?

I don't remember that but I do remember a goon ratting out some high school player's tweets to his coach (rightfully, the kid deserved it).

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Grittybeard posted:

I don't remember that but I do remember a goon ratting out some high school player's tweets to his coach (rightfully, the kid deserved it).

I'm gonna need to know more about this.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

BWV posted:

yea but the writers actually didn't see the poo poo in the bed so it probably never happened

shat in the bed to blame it on the knicks i see

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Wow this was early for Boston's monthly display of racism that everyone washes away as well it's just one isolated case of racism you can't make generalizations about an entire city. They got that over with quickly for May..

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I'm gonna need to know more about this.

I'm a dirty playoff poster, one of the hockey goons will probably remember more than I do. The kid either got suspended or kicked off his team in the end I think.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dexo posted:

Wow this was early for Boston's monthly display of racism that everyone washes away as well it's just one isolated case of racism you can't make generalizations about an entire city. They got that over with quickly for May..

We can't be racist, we love David Ortiz

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Michigan State University has sued ESPN to stop them from getting sexual assault reports via public records

misdirectomy
Feb 19, 2008
The Fact That The Warriors Are Whining That They Can’t Get Crunk And Laid In Utah Is Everything That Is Wrong With The NBA

(don't go to the website that published this article)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

misdirectomy posted:

The Fact That The Warriors Are Whining That They Can’t Get Crunk And Laid In Utah Is Everything That Is Wrong With The NBA

(don't go to the website that published this article)

I don't go to the Ringer so way ahead of you bud.