Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Lime Rock is too small and tight for the new P2 cars to run safely with other classes, and PC is going away, so they're running a shortened season. I wouldn't be surprised if it went away entirely, tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Lime Rock is too small and tight for the new P2 cars to run safely with other classes, and PC is going away, so they're running a shortened season. I wouldn't be surprised if it went away entirely, tbh.

Yeah that's what I was afraid of. Shame since I'm near Boston, so aside from the Glen it's the only day-drivable track (eta: with the Le Mans-type cars, we have NHIS, Tremblant, that are fun for track days but no one real races there and I'm not driving that far to see a club race). Do the big prototypes typically run at WG?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

uwaeve posted:

Yeah that's what I was afraid of. Shame since I'm near Boston, so aside from the Glen it's the only day-drivable track (eta: with the Le Mans-type cars, we have NHIS, Tremblant, that are fun for track days but no one real races there and I'm not driving that far to see a club race). Do the big prototypes typically run at WG?

Yes the six hours of the glen is a full grid.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
I'm similarly afraid of that happening at VIR too. ALMS ran with the full grid, then 2013 it was GTD/GTLM in the main event and PC running a sprint race with the Proto Lites, now it's just GT's and GT-based support races.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

gently caress NIMBYs.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

iospace posted:

gently caress NIMBYs.

Seriously, if you didn't want to live next to a race track, why did you move/build there? :frogout:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DirtRoadJunglist posted:

Seriously, if you didn't want to live next to a race track, why did you move/build there? :frogout:

Guess what happened to a dirt track in Milwaukee. Exactly that.

Now it's dead

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

iospace posted:

Guess what happened to a dirt track in Milwaukee. Exactly that.

Now it's dead

I read about that. I've never even been to Wisconsin, and I'm still sad about that track.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DirtRoadJunglist posted:

I read about that. I've never even been to Wisconsin, and I'm still sad about that track.

I went to a demo derby there once. The water truck was doing wheelies.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

At least yalls local track wasn't loved by everyone around it then got sold and turned into a trucking terminal because money.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The track I'm talking about is a Menard's now :cripes:

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Welp, the IMSA WeatherTech race is on time delay on FS1 Saturday 7-10.

Gonna be watching through VPN anyway, but gently caress Fox. Who the gently caress thought this was an acceptable arrangement? IMSA should dump Fox and start streaming everything for everyone and find a TV partner that is okay with that, has better commentators, and doesn't air commercials for half of the race.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Gonna be watching through VPN anyway, but gently caress Fox. Who the gently caress thought this was an acceptable arrangement? IMSA should dump Fox and start streaming everything for everyone and find a TV partner that is okay with that, has better commentators, and doesn't air commercials for half of the race.

Not going to happen in the US, sadly to say.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Network TV in the US has always time delayed races with the exception of NASCAR because they're far and away the most popular race series, cause it's really easy to follow NASCAR when you're tanked on lovely piss-water beer.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

orange juche posted:

Network TV in the US has always time delayed races with the exception of NASCAR because they're far and away the most popular race series, cause it's really easy to follow NASCAR when you're tanked on lovely piss-water beer.

Indy isn't delayed either. Support series for both? If it's on TV, it's probably live.

Drag racing? Naturally, but the nature of the type of racing lends itself to tape delay.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

iospace posted:

Indy isn't delayed either. Support series for both? If it's on TV, it's probably live.

Drag racing? Naturally, but the nature of the type of racing lends itself to tape delay.

Eh, I was thinking like back in WSC days. :corsair:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

dentist toy box posted:

At least yalls local track wasn't loved by everyone around it then got sold and turned into a trucking terminal because money.

The only road course in Alberta and only drag strip in calgary was torn up to extend the city landfill. I don't think there's a greater insult.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

So Fox won't even be showing the race live on FoxSports Go? BeINSports also didn't show the MotoGP race at CoTA live either a few weeks back either, but at least they streamed it live on their app. Even F1 qualifying's been relegated by NBCSN to online streaming once so far this season.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

If F1 qualifying isn't on NBCSN then it is CNBC or MSNBC. Same goes for actual races during le Tour de France.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Kilonum posted:

If F1 qualifying isn't on NBCSN then it is CNBC or MSNBC. Same goes for actual races during le Tour de France.

Bahrain qualifying was only on NBC Sports Extra.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Powershift posted:

The only road course in Alberta and only drag strip in calgary was torn up to extend the city landfill. I don't think there's a greater insult.

The worst part about this was the people that lived near the track begged for it to stay compared to the trucking company. But the owner that had only owned the track 7 years was like "lmao I don't see any better offers k bye"

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

ratfink gt3 > anime gt3

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Cygni posted:

ratfink gt3 > anime gt3

:krad:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Cygni posted:

ratfink gt3 > anime gt3

incorrect, friend, and I will try to prove that to you later today.

in completely coincidental news, if you're on the west coast of the US you'll probably be able to catch all of the Super GT Fuji 500km tonight. Why a race mid-week? Because it's holiday time in Japan, and they run the two days of the race weekend during the annual spring holidays in what is commonly called 'Golden Week'.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

harperdc posted:

incorrect, friend, and I will try to prove that to you later today.

in completely coincidental news, if you're on the west coast of the US you'll probably be able to catch all of the Super GT Fuji 500km tonight. Why a race mid-week? Because it's holiday time in Japan, and they run the two days of the race weekend during the annual spring holidays in what is commonly called 'Golden Week'.

Time? I have the day off from work tomorrow so lol sleep (US East Coast)

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 3, 2017

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Kilonum posted:

Time? I have the day off from work tomorrow so lol sleep (US East Coast)

Available here: https://youtu.be/S0UIrIOb2J0

Race is set to start in ~another hour or so. Beautiful clear day already, should be a good race.

[Edit] race starts ~1 am ET, 10 pm PT, and 6 am GMT. Cars just finished with the warmup a minute ago.

harperdc fucked around with this message at 05:02 on May 4, 2017

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Rally legend Timo Mäkinen (no relation to Tommi), one of the original Flying Finns and a guy who once drove half the Ouninpohja stage of Rally Finland with his windscreen blocked, has died at the age of 79: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/129324/timo-makinen-19382017

quote:

The pain of the Automobile Club de Monaco's interpretation of the rules was eased slightly by his second successive 1000 Lakes win later in 1966. Having spoiled countryman Simo Lampinen's hopes of a hat-trick, Makinen became the first driver ever to achieve such a feat on his home event in 1967.

As if that '67 win wasn't good enough, Makinen drove half of the fearsome Ouninpohja stage with the bonnet of his Mini Cooper up after the retaining straps failed.

"We did about 12 of the 25 kilometres like that," said Makinen. "I was third fastest, even though I could hardly see where I was going - the drag was terrible too.

"I kept trying to put my head out of the window, but the crash helmet was too big! I threw the car sideways this way and the other to try and get a view from the side windows."

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Doc Morbid posted:

Rally legend Timo Mäkinen (no relation to Tommi), one of the original Flying Finns and a guy who once drove half the Ouninpohja stage of Rally Finland with his windscreen blocked, has died at the age of 79: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/129324/timo-makinen-19382017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fV6fUR3OeU

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Stuff I'm watching this weekend:

IMSA at COTA - all on imsa.tv (WTSCC race geoblocked, use a VPN or delayed on FS1 and FSGO at 7pm EDT Friday)
WTSCC quali right now
CTSCC race 3:35p EDT today
Lambo Super Trofeo Race 1 6:20p EDT today
911 GT3 Cup Race 1 7:30p EDT today

Lambo Super Trofeo Race 2 10:30a EDT Sat
911 GT3 Cup Race 1 11:50a EDT Sat
WTSCC race 2:25p EDT Sat (or 7p EDT on FS1)

FIA WEC at Spa-Francorchamps - paid streaming on fiawec.com or parts on FS1 and FS2
6h Race - 8:30a EDT Saturday

FIA IES (creventic 24h series) at Paul Ricard - stream on 24hseries.com or Youtube
24h Race - 8:30a EDT Saturday

Blancpain GT Sprint Series at Brands Hatch - not sure about streaming for this one
Quali Race 7:00a EDT Sunday
Main Race 11:15a EDT Sunday

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

BTCC, DTM, and V8 Supercars are all racing this weekend too. Too lazy to add in details about how to watch.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Blancpain GT Sprint Series at Brands Hatch - not sure about streaming for this one
Quali Race 7:00a EDT Sunday
Main Race 11:15a EDT Sunday

I'm assuming this'll be streamed on the GT World Youtube channel along with the GT4 European Series race at Brands as well. They don't have any of the Blancpain sessions scheduled as livestreams though which is weird.

fuseshock
Aug 7, 2010
I'm going to the IMSA race. Never been to one, let alone COTA. Anyone have any suggestions on where to sit? Main GS or T1?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

fuseshock posted:

I'm going to the IMSA race. Never been to one, let alone COTA. Anyone have any suggestions on where to sit? Main GS or T1?

As somebody who just spent a day walking an entire loop of a racing track while the race went on: try to cover as much ground as is feasible, because you'll see so much different between the fast sector 1 corners versus the hairpins there.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

T1 would be great for watching the start. Most of the passing opportunities will be at T12, so sitting by there or in the T15 grandstands will allow you to catch a lot of the action. But yeah, walk around a bit and watch from different vantage points.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I'm glad there's a team in the V8s to finally shut up the Red Bull/Triple 8 team

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Bob Varsha is on my TV.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

njsykora posted:

I'm assuming this'll be streamed on the GT World Youtube channel along with the GT4 European Series race at Brands as well. They don't have any of the Blancpain sessions scheduled as livestreams though which is weird.

Yeah, but those are often geoblocked in the US. VPN up.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

What racing am I missing right now? Feels like I should be watching something

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

6 hours of spa is going on right now. 80ish minutes left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Norns posted:

What racing am I missing right now? Feels like I should be watching something

WEC 6h Spa-Francorchamps
24h Series at Paul Ricard

IMSA WTSC at COTA soon

• Locked thread