Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Is there a reason why they're having so many Moment of Them clipshows(other than saving money)?

I thought it was just for Klepper because he's finally becoming a Daily Show grad/getting his own show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

PhazonLink posted:

Is there a reason why they're having so many Moment of Them clipshows(other than saving money)?

I thought it was just for Klepper because he's finally becoming a Daily Show grad/getting his own show?

Fancy way of having an Easter/Holy Week break.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
There was also a lot of clip episodes during Stewart's run. At least his early and middle years.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Nah, all their late night is on break, but rather than run straight reruns like @midnight, they went with these mini "specials" to air in the slot.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
yesh

water, water everywhere and none fit to drink. :(

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
John Kasich shouldn't have used a shepherds metaphor for leaders. I just kept waiting for him to accidentally call the citizens sheep.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
So was The President Show as bad as expected?

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Radio Nowhere posted:

So was The President Show as bad as expected?
I gave it a shot. Meh. I guess it's not worse than L'il Bush.

I agree with the AV Club review that the highlight of it was Donald imagining himself drowning. But yeah, I'm not going to see if this show improves. It's a good impression. Wished the guy had better stuff to work with.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I didn't watch it, but I can't imagine a Trump spoof show being funny because Trump is not funny - he's a goddamned worthless pile of dogshit currently destroying everything in the world that's any good because he's a misbegotten self-obsessed lazy creep and any thought about him becomes blinding fury within a matter of seconds.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

I will never unsee that image of Trump scarfing down fast food like a starved coyote... :gonk:

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011
The stuff with Trump wandering around New York interacting with random people and the more improvisational stuff worked pretty well, but the actual written behind-the-desk/podium parts was not good. It could be legit good with more Trump binge eating, contemplating his own mortality, and fanboying over trucks and less lame standup material.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Steve Vader posted:

I didn't watch it, but I can't imagine a Trump spoof show being funny because Trump is not funny - he's a goddamned worthless pile of dogshit currently destroying everything in the world that's any good because he's a misbegotten self-obsessed lazy creep and any thought about him becomes blinding fury within a matter of seconds.

The interview or whatever with KEEF had a moment or two that was... funny-ish when "Trump" said something indicating he'd perhaps read or took an interest in anything and was capable of making an informed point, just because it was completely out of character.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Steve Vader posted:

You owe it to yourself to watch Trump vs. Bernie

https://youtu.be/YfXdmHseiFA

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
The funniest bit to me was "Mike Pence's EVIL twin brother", but other than that it was a half hour break until @Midnight.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Eh I didn't hate it. Its only many to be a temp thing until Jordan Klepper launches though right?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

My friend watched some of The President Show and hated it, and he has low standards to begin with. It sounds like they did that concept better almost 15 years ago with Crossballs and the Jiminy Glick show. Good to hear Jordan Klepper got his own show, but that cuts the last link to Jon Stewart's Daily Show, so it's also a bit sad.

Speaking of Jon, I read about Trevor Noah defending the money that Obama gets from events where he speaks. That strikes me as a thing that Jon never would have gone to bat for. He got stale in his last couple years, but he was always cynical when he covered those kinds of stories.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

im still shocked by how long "that's my bush" lasted on comedy central lasted

i put it in the same catagory

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

get that OUT of my face posted:

Good to hear Jordan Klepper got his own show, but that cuts the last link to Jon Stewart's Daily Show, so it's also a bit sad.

Hi Hasan Minhaj still works there and is very funny :)

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
But "That's My Bush" was great because it was aggressively apolitical. "L'il Bush" was awful.

I don't think Saturday was precisely the victory lap for Hasan Minhaj or Sam Bee that people were spinning it as. Those events were the perfect foil for Trump; and it pretty much validated the story Trump's been telling, which is the Washington media, Hollywood, and now the so-called "comedy establishment" all gathering around, wearing fancy clothes, drinking champagne at fancy events and mocking the Dear Leader that "real america" elected.

I guess what I'm really saying is that despite liking the performances in the past like Colbert and Wilmore's, the WHCD is emblematic of why people dislike Washington, if not a more abstract "media establishment".

I guess Hasan Minhaj, Sam Bee, and Donald Trump were all winners of Saturday night.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

im still shocked by how long "that's my bush" lasted on comedy central lasted

i put it in the same catagory

That's my Bush was amazing. It was not so much "Bush bad!", because, you have to remember, this show came out in like April of 2001, he hadn't had time to really do anything terrible when it was written, so he became more just the bumbling oaf sitcom character in a parody of old sitcoms. Perhaps you were thinking of Lil' Bush, in which case I agree with you that was hot garbage, but That's my Bush was good.

The President Show, however, is awful.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

That's My Bush was just a take on the "typical" sitcom that just so happened to involve George W. Bush. It wasn't political but that didn't stop it from being axed after 9/11 regardless.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Echo Chamber posted:

I don't think Saturday was precisely the victory lap for Hasan Minhaj or Sam Bee that people were spinning it as. Those events were the perfect foil for Trump; and it pretty much validated the story Trump's been telling, which is the Washington media, Hollywood, and now the so-called "comedy establishment" all gathering around, wearing fancy clothes, drinking champagne at fancy events and mocking the Dear Leader that "real america" elected.

That's something I've started to notice about Noah's Daily Show recently. It was certainly liberal before, but now it seems a bit more...elitist, I guess? Like any dissenting view isn't mentioned or gets held up as wrong. When that's part of why the President they don't like was elected, you'd think they'd lighten up on the 'you're with us or you're stupid/racist/sexist/etc' stuff.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 2, 2017

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

It was always that way.

Or at least it was criticized for it. I guess Jon Stewart would lay some more sick burns on CNN than Trevor does.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

But as I said, I don't think Jon wouldn't have viewed Obama's $400k speaking fees as "how dare the first black president get paid after leaving office!" like Trevor did. He could be elitist, but he was definitely a cynic when it came to people in government doing nakedly awful things.

Justin_Brett posted:

When that's part of why the President they don't like was elected, you'd think they'd lighten up on the 'you're with us or you're stupid/racist/sexist/etc' stuff.
Nobody with establishment Democrat mentality has done this, and Sam Bee fits that mold for sure. I haven't heard much about Trevor Noah since he took over, but after his comments about Obama's speaking fees, I'd say he thinks the same way too.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

But as I said, I don't think Jon wouldn't have viewed Obama's $400k speaking fees as "how dare the first black president get paid after leaving office!" like Trevor did. He could be elitist, but he was definitely a cynic when it came to people in government doing nakedly awful things.
I mean, there appears to be at least a number of African Americans that sees the sudden liberal media furor as a slap to the face. And I get it. It's perfectly fine, or at least not worth any concern, for former Presidents and other elite to make tons of money from taking speaking fees until the only black President does it? Same with the thinkpieces about how Obama is living the life of a rich man following his departure from office even though all 42 of the guys who preceded him were pretty drat well to do themselves.

Hell, it's telling that "earns tons of money from giving speeches to people willing to pay for them" only became a serious political problem after a woman benefited from that trough.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Mars4523 posted:

I mean, there appears to be at least a number of African Americans that sees the sudden liberal media furor as a slap to the face. And I get it. It's perfectly fine, or at least not worth any concern, for former Presidents and other elite to make tons of money from taking speaking fees until the only black President does it? Same with the thinkpieces about how Obama is living the life of a rich man following his departure from office even though all 42 of the guys who preceded him were pretty drat well to do themselves.

Hell, it's telling that "earns tons of money from giving speeches to people willing to pay for them" only became a serious political problem after a woman benefited from that trough.

Good loving lord.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Mars4523 posted:

With that attitude, you can get a job at the DNC. Also, Truman and Carter took no money from speaking fees after leaving the White House.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

In general, this poo poo became a lot more important to people after Wall Street financially nuked the drat country and not only got away with it, but got bailed the gently caress out at the expense of the very people whose lives they destroyed. There is no possibility whatsoever that an increasing number of people weren't going to start taking a negative interest in Wall Street and how loving deep its cancerous interests have taken a root in government and politicians. Obama and Hillary get rightfully poo poo on for their involvement with these parasites because they're the most high-profile politicians from the last 8 years and as such all eyes are on them.

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 09:30 on May 3, 2017

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Just catching up on this week and I was expecting the guests on Monday to be Jon Favreau, the famous director and Jon Lovitz the famous comedian plus a third guy.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

With that attitude, you can get a job at the DNC. Also, Truman and Carter took no money from speaking fees after leaving the White House.
Neither did Kennedy.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Justin_Brett posted:

That's something I've started to notice about Noah's Daily Show recently. It was certainly liberal before, but now it seems a bit more...elitist, I guess? Like any dissenting view isn't mentioned or gets held up as wrong. When that's part of why the President they don't like was elected, you'd think they'd lighten up on the 'you're with us or you're stupid/racist/sexist/etc' stuff.
Slightly elitest? Yeah. But I don't think it's a matter if "dissent". I don't disagree that people who voted for Trump have shown a damning disregard for immigrants, black lives, and women, even if they rationalized it with Trump's enticing promises with jobs and economic revival.

Stewart, while unambiguously a media liberal, tried distancing himself from the red state vs. blue state cultural divide, and usually postured himself as the media's ombudsman, with his "CNN sucks" and "CBNC sucks" moments being even more hilarious than his "Fox News sucks" bits.

Noah and Bee inherited the Stewart legacy, but also a more populist climate when both open racism and income inequality have become more pressing issues. Maybe I'm not remembering a lot of Stewart's signaling well, but Stewart always seemed uncomfortable being cosmopolitan liberal icon, which I honestly found refreshing and appealing about his persona.

I feel like Trevor Noah and Sam Bee are very comfortable with their cosmopolitan liberal zeitgest. They're willing to double and triple down on it. I understand the impulse, because Trumpism has shown the rot within Republican-voting America. And there's no shame in being unambiguously anti-Trump.

But I still feel somewhat alienated by this. I'm a underemployed 30-year-old asian american living in a "children of immigrants" New Jersey suburb; it's by no means Trump country, but I definitely feel the resentment that Donald and Bernie capitalized on. In my teens and early 20s, I thought of Jon as a hero, but also found my own politics drifting leftward as I struggled to find a decent full time job after college. Especially in my adulthood I never got the impression that the liberal cosmopolitan media was as welcoming, open, and "diverse" as it claims to be (I've talked plenty about how chauvinist, racist, and classist it is in other threads); I always found it to be an exclusionary country club protected by layers of gatekeepers and PR handlers.

That's why I couldn't get around to the WHCD and Not the WHCD. I like Hasan Minhaj. I liked Colbert and Wilmore's performances as well. But I just feel like there's not much worth celebrating about the media. And there's this confusion when you're not sure if you're supporting the culture or the counter-culture.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 14:17 on May 3, 2017

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

jojoinnit posted:

Just catching up on this week and I was expecting the guests on Monday to be Jon Favreau, the famous director and Jon Lovitz the famous comedian plus a third guy.

Their podcast is pretty good, especially if you mainly get your news from mass media outlets and/or don't really do political podcasts.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Oh Snapple! posted:

In general, this poo poo became a lot more important to people after Wall Street financially nuked the drat country and not only got away with it, but got bailed the gently caress out at the expense of the very people whose lives they destroyed. There is no possibility whatsoever that an increasing number of people weren't going to start taking a negative interest in Wall Street and how loving deep its cancerous interests have taken a root in government and politicians. Obama and Hillary get rightfully poo poo on for their involvement with these parasites because they're the most high-profile politicians from the last 8 years and as such all eyes are on them.

Hillary getting paid was of interest since she was quite obviously running for President within a year or so of giving the speeches. She should have known better, and the fact that she didn't was a much bigger indictment than the actual speeches.

Obama getting paid is kind of silly to care about since he's actually retired from the government game. Unless he decides to go John Quincy Adams on us and represent Chicago in the House or something. His role from now on is basically popping up to Campaign Obama every couple of years or so and otherwise apply his celebrity to causes.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Gyges posted:

Hillary getting paid was of interest since she was quite obviously running for President within a year or so of giving the speeches. She should have known better, and the fact that she didn't was a much bigger indictment than the actual speeches.

Obama getting paid is kind of silly to care about since he's actually retired from the government game. Unless he decides to go John Quincy Adams on us and represent Chicago in the House or something. His role from now on is basically popping up to Campaign Obama every couple of years or so and otherwise apply his celebrity to causes.

Oh please. Obama literally just finished working to install a new DNC chair who would continue with the same corporatist bullshit and to counter a surge of folks who want that bullshit out of the party. He is not "done" with politics, and even if he wasn't still using his influence everyone knows that payment was for services rendered in making sure Wall Street's interests were looked after (and likely the first of many).

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 03:11 on May 4, 2017

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Ulysses Grant died in poverty.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

MonsieurChoc posted:

Ulysses Grant died in poverty.

As will we all.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
Bloomberg is looking more orange than President Cheeto now.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

How do people still think painting themselves orange is a good look?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Grand Fromage posted:

How do people still think painting themselves orange is a good look?

Because the other option is their ghoulish translucent skin, a pallid reminder to everyone around them of the imminence of their death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Oh Snapple! posted:

Oh please. Obama literally just finished working to install a new DNC chair who would continue with the same corporatist bullshit and to counter a surge of folks who want that bullshit out of the party. He is not "done" with politics, and even if he wasn't still using his influence everyone knows that payment was for services rendered in making sure Wall Street's interests were looked after (and likely the first of many).

Stiffing people for services rendered isn't cool, even if it isn't Trump doing it.

• Locked thread