Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Leinadi posted:

As someone who likes micromanaging everyone in the fights, it's a bit weird to see so much work into something that will sort of make the game play itself more.

I mean, I kinda understand why people want it in some ways, but it's weird to me.

Agreed, but a lot of people complained about lack of AI scripting so... fine. As long as I can turn it off.

The real answer to this problem is to reduce the number of trash encounters so combat doesn't turn into a slog. Fortunately, they seem to be aware of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Leinadi posted:

As someone who likes micromanaging everyone in the fights, it's a bit weird to see so much work into something that will sort of make the game play itself more.

I mean, I kinda understand why people want it in some ways, but it's weird to me.

I don't mind micromanaging big fights, but way too loving many of the fights in PoE were just boring filler fights. They were a bunch of lovely speedbumps that only existed to make you go a bit slower and maybe whittle a bit of health or a spellcast off of your available resources.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I look forward to botting PoE to turn it into a screensaver, like I used to do with Angband until the bot beat my own high score and I realized I was John Henry

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

bongwizzard posted:

Oh good, a way to make a game more dull. We could be taking monk-drugs and questing for an enchanted crankbait, but no, we get to be fantasy-data entry clerks. Great use of money, jerks.

So you're for sitting around fishing in a game with giant sea monsters, high adventure and political intrigue, and you're against having competent party members?

Hmm.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I look forward to botting PoE to turn it into a screensaver, like I used to do with Angband until the bot beat my own high score and I realized I was John Henry

John Henry won, and died. So you're a failure on both counts.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Parenthesis posted:

A first work-in-progress look at the new custom AI system:
https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/859103836706820096

I am looking forward to fiddle with it in the game.

e: Oh, I just noticed that it has multiple conditions for every action - nice. Now if only they included explicit OR/AND conjunctions, but I guess we can always add another action just below the other one.

But can you program bear AI?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Even if you don't plan to use it, I imagine robust easy to use ai scripting will help make for better encounter ai?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Hopefully fireball isn't complete rear end this time.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

But can you program bear AI?

you can, but it's bare bones

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Hopefully fireball isn't complete rear end this time.

Ninagauth's Shadowflame is the best spell in the game though I guess that only half counts since it's a frost variant of fireball

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Leinadi posted:

:rolleyes:

Not this stupid argument again. If you don't like it don't use it. I for one look forward to have my Wizard cast Eldritch Aim automatically.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
It's not an argument, it's an observation on something I find quite weird.

I know I'm not gonna use it. But thank you for telling me. As we all know, in terms of arguments, the "don't like it, don't use it" is the one that trumps them all!

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
I want an achievement for beating the game on the hardest difficulty without ever manually giving a command.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Pillars before the rudimentary party AI was implemented was a total slog, especially on POTD. After your dudes killed anything they used to just sit around pulling their nobs until you manually instructed them to go and hit stuff again. This was also in the days when tanking and spanking worked e.g. sending in a 160 deflection Wild Orlan fighter that hits for 2 damage and all of the enemies going after him.

I think the new AI is going to be great. I'll probably use it for (a) smarter auto-attack behaviour (b) alpha striking/weapon switching with guns (c) buffs, and then cast all of my other spells by myself.

I'm also looking forward to smarter AI from enemies and them absolutely kicking my poo poo in as well.

The screencaps of the new system look amazing.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Vermain posted:

This game is called "Final Fantasy XII," which is getting a remastered edition at some point in the future. It'll hopefully be ported to PC, given that Square-Enix has finally realized that computers exist and have been porting older major titles over.

From what I recall, the custom AI commands were gated somehow? I never was able to customise the AI to my satisfaction. It was pretty good still, but very long and very grindy. The Dragon Age games have custom AI too, but the syntax is too basic to do much.

I enjoy micro-managing tactical combat. I just also have a perverse urge to spend 20 minutes programming AI before an encounter :v:

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 09:11 on May 2, 2017

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Leinadi posted:

It's not an argument, it's an observation on something I find quite weird.

I know I'm not gonna use it. But thank you for telling me. As we all know, in terms of arguments, the "don't like it, don't use it" is the one that trumps them all!

Sorry, I didn't mean to have a go at you. It's just that every time the "customizable AI" topic comes up some people seem to think it's going to be the end of managing (micro or otherwise) their party and you can 'auto win' the game. Consider it a preventive strike.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

User0015 posted:

So you're for sitting around fishing in a game with giant sea monsters, high adventure and political intrigue, and you're against having competent party members?

Hmm.

No, but I am into actually playing a game, not clicking on a spreadsheet for two hours.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

AriadneThread posted:

you can, but it's barebear bones

How did you manage to screw that one up :colbert:

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

AI will be good for this one because you have more per-encounter abilities and can trust your buddies not to launch their most powerful spell at a lone xaurip.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Entropy238 posted:

Pillars before the rudimentary party AI was implemented was a total slog, especially on POTD. After your dudes killed anything they used to just sit around pulling their nobs until you manually instructed them to go and hit stuff again. This was also in the days when tanking and spanking worked e.g. sending in a 160 deflection Wild Orlan fighter that hits for 2 damage and all of the enemies going after him.

I think the new AI is going to be great. I'll probably use it for (a) smarter auto-attack behaviour (b) alpha striking/weapon switching with guns (c) buffs, and then cast all of my other spells by myself.

I'm also looking forward to smarter AI from enemies and them absolutely kicking my poo poo in as well.

The screencaps of the new system look amazing.

I use the basic defend self if attacked AI but that's about the extent of it for me. Ain't no robot managing my chillfogs.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

hangedman1984 posted:

How did you manage to screw that one up :colbert:

i wanted the reader to have to think for a moment instead of making it transbearently obvious

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Clever Spambot posted:

I want an achievement for beating the game on the hardest difficulty without ever manually giving a command.

I believe in the multibear system.

AriadneThread posted:

i wanted the reader to have to think for a moment instead of making it transbearently obvious

That's one whale of tale!

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

AriadneThread posted:

I can bearly believe that is the case

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
I want to make sure that my bear can cast fireball before i pay money.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Pre-ending spoilers (Teir Evron):
I'm curious about Grieving Mother's opinion on the choice you're given. What affects her stance on going with Hylea and restoring the Hollowborn? That's what she's been wanting to do all along, and I was really surprised to see her go basically "eeeh, maybe we shouldn't, it might be bad if those souls come back after all" and essentially advocate for Berath's way. My friend just played this part and for him she was completely stoked about the prospect of restoring them and explicitly suggested going with Hylea. That's what I'd have expected. Instead it seems my Grieving Mother got cold feet after coming all this way.

I don't necessarily want to know how this actually affects the ending because I'm not there yet. :v:

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
Starting the game over since I got the xpacs. What is the crunchiest build this thread can recommend?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Stumpus posted:

Starting the game over since I got the xpacs. What is the crunchiest build this thread can recommend?

Depends what you wanna do. Druids are always fun. Shapeshift is some of the best single target dps in the entire game and Druids also get awesome aoe spells to go along with that. Go something like 16/16/16 might/dex/int and for talents grab two weapon fighting, weapon focus: peasant, and Wildstrike Shock/Greater Shock.

Melee wizards are fun too. Grab all the summon weapon spells and hit like a truck from the very start since the Parasitic Staff (l 1 spell) owns bones. As with the above you want high might/int and at least decent dex. For talents grab the Veil line of talents (huge deflection bonus for a short time) and also Two Handed Weapon Fighting.

If you prefer melees, it's hard to screw up a Monk. Fists hit hard from the very start. Just make sure to have at least decent int since they get some nice self buffs and you'll want those to last.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Elukka posted:

Pre-ending spoilers (Teir Evron):
I'm curious about Grieving Mother's opinion on the choice you're given. What affects her stance on going with Hylea and restoring the Hollowborn? That's what she's been wanting to do all along, and I was really surprised to see her go basically "eeeh, maybe we shouldn't, it might be bad if those souls come back after all" and essentially advocate for Berath's way. My friend just played this part and for him she was completely stoked about the prospect of restoring them and explicitly suggested going with Hylea. That's what I'd have expected. Instead it seems my Grieving Mother got cold feet after coming all this way.

I don't necessarily want to know how this actually affects the ending because I'm not there yet. :v:

I don't know for certain, but it's probably affected by how you finish, or if you finish, her quest. I don't think she has any other dialogue checks that would change her response to something like that.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Stumpus posted:

Boreal dwarf barb. Max might and whatever con+int.

Barbs are great now but the npc one blows and isn't available for ages.

Barb
Eder
Pallegina
Aloth
Durance
Hiravias

Tough as nails frontline backed by all the spells.

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 00:57 on May 3, 2017

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Torgo2727 posted:

After playing Battle Brothers for a bunch of hours, i'm ready for Josh Sawyer's turn based RPG. Is that still going to be a thing?

That thing is just josh sawyer playing battle brothers for hundreds of hours

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I picked the ending where I made Thaos sit in the proverbial corner and think about what he's done. That said, I know enough time hasn't passed, but I want to be walking around some podunk village, approach a food stand, and have the reedy-voiced, pimply teenager with the peach fuzz goatee yell at me about how I should have known my place and how this was all my fault. And at the end, "Here's your taco mister!"

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Aurubin posted:

I picked the ending where I made Thaos sit in the proverbial corner and think about what he's done. That said, I know enough time hasn't passed, but I want to be walking around some podunk village, approach a food stand, and have the reedy-voiced, pimply teenager with the peach fuzz goatee yell at me about how I should have known my place and how this was all my fault. And at the end, "Here's your taco mister!"

...what?

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Thaos reincarnates, getting his memories back during puberty. So I want to get yelled at and/or beat up a squeaky voiced teenage Thaos as an Easter egg in II.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Some new UI elements: https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/860210739826499586

Rope Kid, if you have time, can you explain what those "-1 / -2 / -4" numbers stand for?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

We're revising that UI element, but it's the cost to use the ability. Each ability is associated with a power source. E.g. paladins use Zeal, fighters use Discipline. While wizards, priests, and druids have spell use broken up into level-based chunks (e.g. two 1st, two 2nd, and one 3rd level spell), most of the martial classes draw from a common pool. The easiest comparison would be to PoE1 monks, whose abilities all collectively pull from Wounds. In this screenshot, Pallegina has 9 Zeal. She could go wild with Flames of Devotion nine times or use Sworn Enemy four times with one Flames of Devotion, or use Reviving Exhortation twice and Flames of Devotion once. Or Reviving Exhortation once and Flames of Devotion five times. You get the idea.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

rope kid posted:

We're revising that UI element, but it's the cost to use the ability. Each ability is associated with a power source. E.g. paladins use Zeal, fighters use Discipline. While wizards, priests, and druids have spell use broken up into level-based chunks (e.g. two 1st, two 2nd, and one 3rd level spell), most of the martial classes draw from a common pool. The easiest comparison would be to PoE1 monks, whose abilities all collectively pull from Wounds. In this screenshot, Pallegina has 9 Zeal. She could go wild with Flames of Devotion nine times or use Sworn Enemy four times with one Flames of Devotion, or use Reviving Exhortation twice and Flames of Devotion once. Or Reviving Exhortation once and Flames of Devotion five times. You get the idea.

How will that work with multiclassing? Does the common resource pool get renamed, or will its name always be drawn from your first class?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Multiclassed characters have two resource pools. A paladin/fighter would have Zeal and Discipline. Their individual totals are lower than they would be for a single-classed character.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Is Wrath of the Five Suns gonna be an ability PC paladins can take? Because that's totally the funnest pally ability and only Pallegina gets it :(. I like Pallegina but I want to shoot five orbs too.

e: in fact an alpha strike party with 6 Paladins all using arqeubusses and wrath of the five suns would be goddamned hilarious

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

No, it's still exclusive to Pallegina's order. It's still a good ability but its Penetration is pretty low, so it's less powerful overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

rope kid posted:

No, it's still exclusive to Pallegina's order. It's still a good ability but its Penetration is pretty low, so it's less powerful overall.

Blast! I figured it'd get nerfed a bit though. It's pretty strong in Poe1.

• Locked thread