Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Apparently may just accused the EU of meddling in the elections

nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Kurtofan posted:

art of the dead
Donald Trump's book about Syria?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Ewan posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/inequality/2017/may/03/how-do-britains-highest-earners-feel-about-their-income

“Due to the vast absolute difference among the 1%, top income earners experience ‘relative disadvantage’,” the report, A Relational Analysis of Top Incomes and Wealth, states. “They are disadvantaged compared to others at the top, while being aware of their advantage compared to the general population.”

A senior investment banker, who earns hundreds of thousands of pounds a year, said he “just doesn’t feel particularly wealthy” compared with other parents at his children’s private school who, he said, were sitting on £100m-plus family fortunes.

“I feel like I’m fairly well off and I earn multiples of the hundred thousands,” the banker told a researcher from the LSE’s International Inequalities Institute. “But I feel very poor in the context of the classmates [of my children] ... Their parents can spend a lot more time with them, because none of them really work, or some of them work but it’s working on their own terms: they might run a hedge fund but they can take the kids to school.

The unnamed investment banker said earning a few hundred thousand “does not feel that great”.

The investment banker said £100m was a lot of money – but “not a ridiculous amount of money”. He told the researcher he was “fairly confident” that a driven and passionate individual could “start from zero and get to £100m within 20 years”.

Boohoo the poor 1% and their relative disadvantage

This should be put up as the ultimate indictment of capitalism, in that the bourgeois suck all the capital out of society and are sitting at the top of hierarchy yet they're still loving miserable.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Ewan posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/inequality/2017/may/03/how-do-britains-highest-earners-feel-about-their-income

“Due to the vast absolute difference among the 1%, top income earners experience ‘relative disadvantage’,” the report, A Relational Analysis of Top Incomes and Wealth, states. “They are disadvantaged compared to others at the top, while being aware of their advantage compared to the general population.”

A senior investment banker, who earns hundreds of thousands of pounds a year, said he “just doesn’t feel particularly wealthy” compared with other parents at his children’s private school who, he said, were sitting on £100m-plus family fortunes.

“I feel like I’m fairly well off and I earn multiples of the hundred thousands,” the banker told a researcher from the LSE’s International Inequalities Institute. “But I feel very poor in the context of the classmates [of my children] ... Their parents can spend a lot more time with them, because none of them really work, or some of them work but it’s working on their own terms: they might run a hedge fund but they can take the kids to school.

The unnamed investment banker said earning a few hundred thousand “does not feel that great”.

The investment banker said £100m was a lot of money – but “not a ridiculous amount of money”. He told the researcher he was “fairly confident” that a driven and passionate individual could “start from zero and get to £100m within 20 years”.

gently caress off. Holy poo poo capitalism is terrible, people are terrible, Giant Meteor 2017.

MikeCrotch posted:

This should be put up as the ultimate indictment of capitalism, in that the bourgeois suck all the capital out of society and are sitting at the top of hierarchy yet they're still loving miserable.

A correct opinion.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Agreed they should not be entitled to be unhappy

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

julian assflange posted:

Agreed they should not be entitled to be unhappy

Julian here with the desperately needed contrarian perspective. Thank you Julian.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

JFairfax posted:

who puts weight on over the summer?

Drinkers. Pub business is highest during the summer.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/859783194790330368

those meddling eurocrats!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Ewan posted:

Terrible. I guess that this group would necessarily select incredibly greedy people. I'm surprised that top 1% is only £140,000 though, my recollection was that it was higher than that.

JFairfax posted:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-35943216

Gross payment of about £18bn in 2015, if it's a five year budget that we've agreed to you're up to nearly £100bn gross quickly.

I can't work out whether I think this should be calculated on gross or net payments, it would be ridiculous to expect the calculation not to take the rebate etc into account but I can see why they would ignore that to jack the figures up.

e: gently caress, something insightful in a Guardian comment, who knew:
"It is a basic tenet of Conservatism that poor people only work harder if they are given less money, but rich people only work harder if they are given more money."

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 3, 2017

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
While this may seem like a very artificial distinction to make for people earning barely enough to survive (and I've been in a situation much much worse than that, mind you, so I know what I'm about to say feels from that perspective), the top 1% in income is a veeeery, very different thing from the top 1% in accumulated wealth, if only for the fact that the curve seems to grow exponentially at the extreme.

However, on the subject of $100 million being easy, please bring the guillotine. How can a mind get so broken as to be able to think that, much less say it out loud and expect not to get burned at the stake?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
It's a distribution pattern to keep in mind - the middle class is where the tax revenue is, because that's where the millions of people are. The ultra-rich are very, very rich, but there are terribly few of them.

In that vein, here's an interesting 2016 essay by Daniel Davies, presenting a theory of postwar history that is basically reverse Marxism: the dog that didn't bark is the absence of class struggle of the rich, and the entire neoliberal era is simply capital bothering to make itself felt. The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles, but Marx merely misapprehended the direction.

ronya fucked around with this message at 16:22 on May 3, 2017

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

knox_harrington posted:

"It is a basic tenet of Conservatism that poor people only work harder if they are given less money, but rich people only work harder if they are given more money."
Stealing this for irl conversations, it's perfect.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pochoclo posted:

However, on the subject of $100 million being easy, please bring the guillotine. How can a mind get so broken as to be able to think that, much less say it out loud and expect not to get burned at the stake?
Sounds like someone isn't driven and passionate enough. :v:

I think a 'driven and passionate individual' could start from £10m and get to £100m within 20 years, but he can gently caress off with zero. There's a reason why the saying 'the first million is the hardest' and it's because most don't get there and those that have that can take advantage of all kinds of poo poo that those without can't.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
Be careful of that one. It inexorably leads you down the merry garden path of Workfare.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Evan Davis being pretty brutal with the tories re: Tories implementing Ed Milliband's manifesto.
Do budget deficits matter? Why is no-one talking about them? DEBATE - BBC Newsnight

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Even the hipsteriest coffee places ive been to price their coffee within 50p of their local starbucks.
And they generally have much better coffee, if only for the fact they either roast it inhouse or close by.

(Thougj to be fair if all you want is a cup of caffeine and black drip you cant beat maccys or bucks for value)

The 99p filter coffees at Pret are a life saver.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Miftan posted:

gently caress off. Holy poo poo capitalism is terrible, people are terrible, Giant Meteor 2017.

A correct opinion.

Apart from all the other awful poo poo i'm horrified that 20 years isn't a long time to these people. Oh don't worry you can be rich! In 20 years! Your best years will be behind you, you know the ones when it's most fun to have a lot of money. But you can buy a yacht and do that think where you put coke on a bit of a prostitute and smoke her or something? IDK. 20 years is a long time. A lot of otherwise healthy people will be dead in 20 years. Are these people liches? It's yes isn't it. That's the secret.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Pissflaps posted:

Jeremy Corbyn is uniquely toxic to the electorate.

Not uniquely.

Take, for another example, your posting.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Regarde Aduck posted:

Apart from all the other awful poo poo i'm horrified that 20 years isn't a long time to these people. Oh don't worry you can be rich! In 20 years! Your best years will be behind you, you know the ones when it's most fun to have a lot of money. But you can buy a yacht and do that think where you put coke on a bit of a prostitute and smoke her or something? IDK. 20 years is a long time. A lot of otherwise healthy people will be dead in 20 years. Are these people liches? It's yes isn't it. That's the secret.

I am willing to go out on a limb and say that very if any people are capable of going from 0 to 100m within 20 years. Mostly because at 0 you're still wondering where your next meal is coming from and where you sleep tonight.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Spuckuk posted:

Not uniquely.

Take, for another example, your posting.

Now, that's not fair.

Pissflaps' posting is toxic to everyone, not just the electorate.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ronya posted:

Be careful of that one. It inexorably leads you down the merry garden path of Workfare.
If Workfare was going to leave participants with enough stored wealth to start benefiting from capital methods of wealth enhancement then it would be a very different system.

If you have a spare million of liquid assets, you can get above the median income by purely capitalist methods, like shares with high dividends, buying a row of houses and renting them out, buying up city or airport parking spaces. Your investment may go up or down, but it's creating an income that takes care of living and allows you to be driven and passionate elsewhere.

Or write newspaper articles about how miserable you are, either way that's not something that workfare would provide people with.

Regarde Aduck posted:

If you already have that starting asset you're already doing better than most people over those 20 years just through income from capital. And if you don't then you aren't driven and passionate enough and something something handout culture.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Ewan posted:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahaha

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Pissflaps posted:

It's not invalid if that applies to only some of the funding and we did, in fact, receive something for it in the first place.

When did everyone turn into a Kipper? There is value in the money we send to the EU.

Right now it's not something the Tories want to emphasise. In a couple of years when they're justifying whatever payments we agree with the EU? It's suddenly part of a 'great deal'.

Something is more than nothing.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ewan posted:

This is the kind of educational experience we want to see among the rich. He's basically saying "I work at my job and make more money than I'll ever really need, but these rich-by-birth bastards make me look like a pauper and they've done nothing to earn it". Now what he needs is the realisation that his employees who also work drat hard but don't earn salaries in the mid-sixes because they lack his opportunities feel the same way about him.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
There is only labour and capital after all.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
A grimly amusing thread written by the FT's Southern Africa correspondent: recent events in UK politics covered in the style of a foreign correspondent reporting on events in foreignland: https://twitter.com/jsphctrl/status/837722099313688577

quote:

March 3rd: The English People's Congress promised a firm line over a power-sharing deal with northern separatists today.
Elsewhere, concerns grew over a growing sectarian divide in polls held in another area of the restive region.
The faction-riven EPC handling of exit from a regional development community is exacerbating concern over the state's territorial viability.
In a plea for unity, the prime minister - who took power in summer after years as interior minister - said “at heart we are one people."

March 7th: The English People's Congress is planning a "massive transfer" of power to the executive, embattled lawmakers said.
The warning comes as the country's legislative council is resisting EPC attempts to convert it into a rubber-stamp.
Despite the unelected body usually being pliant through patronage, the standoff points to the decay of elite consensus in the fragile state.
Opposition groupings - including the largely defunct Workers' Party and several secessionist parties - remain divided through the crisis.

March 13th: Separatists in the north launched another independence bid today, warning that the English People's Congress may hold power into the 2030s.
The separatists' leader said that southern politicians had been given “every opportunity to compromise.”

March 17th: A purged former finance minister - and ruling party politician - secured editorial control of a newspaper in the country's capital today.

March 21st: Hardliners pressured the embattled finance minister to default on obligations they regard as illegitimate.

March 26th: As separatists gain ground, relations with the region are increasingly focused on avoiding triggers for secession.

March 29th: The country's premier pleaded with its northwestern province not to secede today. She also sent a letter to leaders of a regional union.

April 2nd: Despite hardliners' sabre-rattling, the premier did not rule out talks over sovereignty of an overseas semi-enclave.

April 18th: THIS JUST IN: Tensions are running high in the capital as the country's premier, beset by regional unrest, prepares a significant statement.
Some analysts speculated that the ruling party could announce early elections to tighten its grip on power and crush a divided opposition.
(Kremlinologists noted the lack of an official state seal on the premier's podium as a coded signal towards early elections.)
In calling the election, the premier attacked splittist forces causing divisions in the country's sclerotic legislature.
Some analysts believe this reflects a plebiscitary turn in the country's politics as stresses mount on its ramshackle constitution.

April 19th: A liberal opponent of the premier within the ruling party stepped down as a legislator. He will retain editorial control of a mouthpiece.

May 3rd: The premier railed against foreign interference by western governments in elections widely expected to rubber-stamp her hold on power.
Regime rhetoric - allegedly crafted by a western PR firm - has been promoting a personality cult around the "strong and stable" premier.
Analysts say this latest heightening of tensions has come after regional leaders called on the country to honour its financial obligations.

O wad some Power the giftie gie us
To see oursels as ithers see us!

LemonDrizzle fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 3, 2017

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

The one thing I know for a fact about the current leadership of the European Union is that it is socialist as all hell, couldn't be more socialist, if anything it's maybe too socialist.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
To be fair if I were in charge of the EU:s negotiation team I wouldn't want to deal with May either.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Thank god I'm not playing a drinking game with "strong and stable". I kept watching that video and towards the end I thought "hmm wow she didn't say- ah there it is"

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

I never thought I would long for the days of the pig fucker, but well here we are.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

John Woodcock has been reselected by the NEC to represent Labour. A man who has said in the event of a Labour majority of one he would withdraw his support from the party and prevent them forming a government because he doesn't want Corbyn to be Prime Minister.

If you ever doubted whether there are significant elements within the party who are happy to tank Labours election chances just to prevent Corbyn being in charge, the fact that the NEC just backed him should be all the proof you need.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

jabby posted:

John Woodcock has been reselected by the NEC to represent Labour. A man who has said in the event of a Labour majority of one he would withdraw his support from the party and prevent them forming a government because he doesn't want Corbyn to be Prime Minister.

If you ever doubted whether there are significant elements within the party who are happy to tank Labours election chances just to prevent Corbyn being in charge, the fact that the NEC just backed him should be all the proof you need.

I'm not sure about that, it might have just been that due to the circumstances no good candidates submitted applications. There have been plenty of decent left-wing candidates nominated in seats where crusty blairites could have been put up.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Skinty McEdger posted:

I never thought I would long for the days of the pig fucker, but well here we are.

They were such carefree, loving times to live in

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

MikeCrotch posted:

I'm not sure about that, it might have just been that due to the circumstances no good candidates submitted applications. There have been plenty of decent left-wing candidates nominated in seats where crusty blairites could have been put up.

He's publicity seeking and does more damage to the party than any number of attacks from Tory MPs. To paraphrase Malcolm Tucker, this is a situation where my left bollock with a smiley face drawn on it would be a better Labour candidate.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

If you won't vote for a Labour government aren't you not a Labour MP in any meaningful sense?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Irony Be My Shield posted:

If you won't vote for a Labour government aren't you not a Labour MP in any meaningful sense?

So basically he's scamming funding and resources from a party he doesn't support.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Oberleutnant posted:

So basically he's scamming funding and resources from a party he doesn't support.

But enough about jeremy corbyn

LemonyTang
Nov 29, 2009

Ask me about holding 4gate!
Are we sure John Woodcock isn't the chap quoted in that Guardian report?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Jedit posted:

This is the kind of educational experience we want to see among the rich. He's basically saying "I work at my job and make more money than I'll ever really need, but these rich-by-birth bastards make me look like a pauper and they've done nothing to earn it". Now what he needs is the realisation that his employees who also work drat hard but don't earn salaries in the mid-sixes because they lack his opportunities feel the same way about him.

That's one interpretation, but another one is what he needs is :thermidor:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmwqEg-06Ww

things were better back then

• Locked thread