Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shikantaza
Sep 10, 2016
What is happening!?

https://www.chemistryworld.com/careers/go-west-the-impact-of-scientist-movement-in-europe/3007201.article

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Easter European blood flow appears to not conform any known laws of physics.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Oooh boy that is a weird way to display that data.

Also gently caress the publication system and using amount of publication to quantify science. Down with the system imo.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Fathis Munk posted:

Oooh boy that is a weird way to display that data.

Also gently caress the publication system and using amount of publication to quantify science. Down with the system imo.
arXiv storage taken, in megabytes per capita.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Who needs arXiv when you have viXra

http://vixra.org/

Come to think of it a lot of those papers should have some real wonderful graphs for this thread because they're generally batshit crazy

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

goose willis posted:

Come to think of it a lot of those papers should have some real wonderful graphs for this thread because they're generally batshit crazy
I remember somewhere there was the paper that proved that the Earth is flat because you see, the absolute rotational velocity difference between the poles and the equator in case of a spherical Earth would manifestate as constant supersonic shockwaves in mid-latitudes.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

goose willis posted:

That site slays http://vixra.org/pdf/1510.0060v1.pdf

quote:

Throughout this paper we will be taking a look on a rhetorical analysis of 4 different texts
relation to the businessworld. We are doing this for two reasons: 1) I am minoring in Business 2)
As a Computer Engineer, Business is a useful skill I could use.

edit:

that's the entire paper. the same author has another single-page paper in which he calls Einstein an idiot without mentioning him by name, but there are no diagrams in there

Smirr has a new favorite as of 13:17 on May 3, 2017

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Groke posted:

A word burger.

A text taco, surely. The binding is one piece.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
Fruit are nature's sandwiches

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Maxwells Demon posted:

We no longer execute them for being insufferable. So that could be a positive or negative depending on how you view it.

We make them post-docs and TAs, which is much like torture.

If nothing else it keeps them and their dangerous ideas safely contained.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
"Research scientists" (basically permanent post-docs) outside of a few fields and in my experience tend to either be really boring or really strange.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Earth is basically a wrap with the atmosphere as the tortilla, when you think about it.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
More of a calzone situation imo

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Earth is just one giant pizza pop.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Earth is a banana. It's a perfectly natural thing that can nourish everyone, and we've ripped the surface off of it, coated it in garbage and deep fried it to sell to fat white people at a carnival.

Metaphorically speaking.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
I think the following things are clear:

1. A sandwich must be composed of a filling covered on at least two opposite sides by bread
2. The bread must not be baked along with the ingredients of the sandwich
3. Open-faced sandwiches bring only confusion and chaos and must be stamped out
4. Hotdogs aren't sandwiches

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

AKA Pseudonym posted:

1. A sandwich must be composed of a filling covered on at least two opposite sides by bread
Clearly wrong, yes.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

vyelkin posted:

Earth is just one giant pizza pop.

Ice cold in certain spots on the outside, mouth burning molten hot on the inside. Checks out.

quote:

What about a grilled cheese?

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Oxyclean posted:

What about a grilled cheese?

Toasted with the ingredients not baked. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to highlight this distinction.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Agreed, soup in a bread bowl is a sandwich

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

vyelkin posted:

Agreed, soup in a bread bowl is a sandwich

Correction, the BEST sandwich.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

That graph aside, the photo at the top really reminds me of that one Black Mirror episode where everyone rates each other. I know it's not even related really but still.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Is God a sandwich?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Hotdogs are sandwiches because NASA said so.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
That's a pretty amazing exchange, thank god it has been written down for future generations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Gonna make myself a NASAndwich right now.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Is a dead, beaten horse a sandwich?

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
I'm pretty sure "hot dog sandwich" refers to those weird people that like to actually put several hot dogs between slices of bread instead of a bun

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

goose willis posted:

I'm pretty sure "hot dog sandwich" refers to those weird people that like to actually put several hot dogs between slices of bread instead of a bun

This is a good thing to do if you are out of buns. You have to slice the hot dog half-open along its length though.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Platystemon posted:

Hotdogs are sandwiches because NASA said so.

loving Americans. On the way to the moon and they're arguing about sandwich legitimacy.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Fathis Munk posted:

That's a pretty amazing exchange, thank god it has been written down for future generations.

this but unironically

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

this but unironically

Are there stairs in your spaceship?

The terrible secret of space: :itwaspoo:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Outrail posted:

loving Americans. On the way to the moon and they're arguing about sandwich legitimacy.

Apollo 13

It didn’t make it to the Moon.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

The Apollo 13 hot dog is still not as good as the contraband corned beef from Gemini 3.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Outrail posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZx0RIV0wss

Vivick
Feb 24, 2007

This is to precious to get lost in Sandwich chat.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

this but unironically

Oh I was 100% unironical. Also haha, I wonder which of them is lying about the turd gently floating around.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
This is what happens when you just automatically convert your data table into a chart in Excel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Next you'll tell me a toast isn't a sandwich because of bread-to-bread contact area.

Two slices of toast placed on top of the other (with no filling) is clearly not a sandwich, but two slices of toast held completely apart by molten cheese clearly IS. So the question is how much bread-contact is permissible.

A well made toastie will just have a thin strip of crust around the outside where bread meets bread. Any more than that and yes, I would revoke it's status as a sandwich.

Edit: I have some fascinating theories about piles of rice that I'm sure you'd all enjoy.