Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Meanwhile, Submission blows me away time and time again. Definitely going to end up in my top 5 Gorillaz songs despite no Damon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Submission is awesome. Do we know who is opening for the tour? Somebody said a while ago that the rumor was Danny Brown and I would love that

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
it is Danny.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Hell yeah

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Regalingualius posted:

I mean, one of the central premises of the album is supposedly about how people react to some massive event that turns the world upside down, so it makes sense that it's going to have some massive tonal shifts.

Oh yeah, I know. It's still great. But that whole "cataclysmic event" thing is where I get the idea of there being two competing narratives. One side of the album has humanity suffering through it and emerging victorious (We Got The Power) or humanity getting hosed and just descending into chaos and destroying itself (Ticker Tape).

Those two feel like ending songs both. So while the bonus tracks don't necessarily follow directly in their position on the second disk, I think they do fit in the overall narrative of the album.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Okay, after a few listens, my standouts are:

Saturnz Barz
Carnival
She's My Collar
Out of Body
Hallelujah Money

The rest are eh. I can't believe how clearly Grace Jones phoned in Charger.

I much prefer tracks where 2D shares the time equally with some featured artist, the contrast is what drew me to the band in the first place, a la Clint Eastwood.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

hughesta posted:

it is Danny.

Where did you get this? I can't find anything anywhere.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

I wasn't sold on the album at first but it is really growing on me. I love Momentz and Submission. I think the whole thing is pretty solid aside from Sex Murder Party and She's My Collar. I don't really love any of the bonus tracks outside of Out of Body and I agree with people saying there are way less Damon vocals than ever but it's kind of going for a specific theme and idea kind of like Plastic Beach and I think it pulls it off. I'm very excited to see them live in Chicago.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Man I have been listening to deluxe edition on Spotify this whole time and thought The Apprentice was the last song of the album not the first bonus song. It seems crazy to me that it got left off.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Sam Sanskrit posted:

Man I have been listening to deluxe edition on Spotify this whole time and thought The Apprentice was the last song of the album not the first bonus song. It seems crazy to me that it got left off.

The apprentice is so loving good

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

https://live.gorillaz.com/?eml=2017May2/3967995/6223355&etsubid=126880552

European Winter tour just announced. Presale is tomorrow. I don't know if I should get tickets. 3 times in a year is a lot but then it may be 7 years until the next tour so..

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

So, so glad they're doing the O2. I'm not sure I'd have fancied the trek to Brighton and back on a Monday.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Got my physical copy!

These bonus tracks :popeye:

Out Of Body is so weird!

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

horse mans posted:

Okay, after a few listens, my standouts are:

Saturnz Barz
Carnival
She's My Collar
Out of Body
Hallelujah Money

The rest are eh. I can't believe how clearly Grace Jones phoned in Charger.

I much prefer tracks where 2D shares the time equally with some featured artist, the contrast is what drew me to the band in the first place, a la Clint Eastwood.

I've read that Jones did like hours of ranting and they only used like 2% of what she did so if anything I don't think she phoned anything in. I do wish she had more lines though. Same thing happened with Mark E. Smith on Glitter Freeze--he had a LOT more and there's an alt version somewhere with it but man, how do you use so little from two incredibly strange singers.

Mt. Modular
May 18, 2006

The thing is, "Charger" is a good song, and it has nothing to do with Grace Jones. Her role could be anyone (or cut altogether) and I think he track would still work. It's just a weird decision.

Also, "Sex Murder Party" is actually good.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Has anyone done the UK Songkick signup thing for tomorrow's pre-sale? I've done it twice and haven't had any sort of acknowledgement email or notification. Worried I've hosed it.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Hedrigall posted:

Got my physical copy!

These bonus tracks :popeye:

Out Of Body is so weird!

Does anybody catch what this is all about?

...no?

Well, work it out!

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

I love Charger. It sounds like something from Coil's Black Antlers.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I liked Sex Murder Party on the first couple of listens but after letting the album sink in it's the only track that sticks out as expendable. I'd have been in favour of swapping it out of The Apprentice (maybe not in the same slot though, maybe in the first half of the album).

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

If anyone needs a one, I have a spare pre-sale code.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Strobelite is even funkier live: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4itT6YrHfQ :swoon:

Serf
May 5, 2011

I've never listened to Gorillaz before (excepting Feel Good Inc from way back when I was in high school because that song was everywhere), but some folks recommended this album and I picked it up. It rules. Strobelite or Ascension is probably my favorite (Vince Staples :swoon: ). Charger and Momentz are also really good, as is We've Got the Power and The Apprentice. I'm getting backed up on podcasts thanks to this album.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Serf posted:

I've never listened to Gorillaz before (excepting Feel Good Inc from way back when I was in high school because that song was everywhere), but some folks recommended this album and I picked it up. It rules. Strobelite or Ascension is probably my favorite (Vince Staples :swoon: ). Charger and Momentz are also really good, as is We've Got the Power and The Apprentice. I'm getting backed up on podcasts thanks to this album.

One of us! One of us!

Also go back and pick up Demon Days, you owe it to yourself. Also Plastic Beach. The Fall is...an acquired taste, but still good.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah, iTunes still has a lot of their old material on sale, and it's definitely worth getting if you want to break into them. I'd also strongly recommend G-Sides and D-Sides, which are compilations of remixes and b-side tracks from their first two albums.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

How can you recommend The Fall and not even mention self titled?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Steve2911 posted:

How can you recommend The Fall and not even mention self titled?

I...uh, forgot.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah I think S/T is a seminal down-tempo album that shaped its musical peers far more than any of their subsequent releases. Like how can you list any of the best Gorillaz songs and not mention Sound Check?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yvonmukluk posted:

I...uh, forgot.

We cool.

Also got tickets to the last date on the tour (and only London date). Mad hyped, I've wanted to see them for like half of my natural life.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'd recommend Laika Come Home 10/10 times over The Fall. I love the Mutant Genius mix they did on that.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah I think S/T is a seminal down-tempo album that shaped its musical peers far more than any of their subsequent releases. Like how can you list any of the best Gorillaz songs and not mention Sound Check?

Depending on my mood, I think S/T is on par if not better than DD. I like PB but it's no S/T.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Fleetwood Mac Rumours - It's a social justice warrior album, sad to say

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I like all of the concern trolls who all of a sudden realised that Gorillaz is...gasp...political! Like, did they not listen to Dirty Harry (or the rest of Demon Days)? Or did they turn it off once they heard rap?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Yvonmukluk posted:

I like all of the concern trolls who all of a sudden realised that Gorillaz is...gasp...political! Like, did they not listen to Dirty Harry (or the rest of Demon Days)? Or did they turn it off once they heard rap?

The people most concerned probably weren't pooping in the big boy toilet yet when Demon Days came out

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Just think: there's already a generation growing up that won't immediately get the reference of "'The war is over'/So said the speaker with the flight suit on".

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Hedrigall posted:

The people most concerned probably weren't pooping in the big boy toilet yet when Demon Days came out

Big toilets ftw

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
The Saturnz Barz music video is some straight up mainline Gorillaz mythos kick-rear end poo poo. One of their best.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I think in terms of all-time faves in the discography, Strobelite/Charger/She's My Collar are way up there for me, I can't stop listening to those 3. loving brilliant songs and now I have to really find out what else this peven everett guy has done because drat, the whole song and his voice were a perfect crystalline crush of 80's music

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I really don't get why they didn't give Andromeda a video. Of all the songs on the album it's the one by far most suited to Gorillaz' style of videos.