Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

uh... lol its not about math friend its about flashing that sweet black card on walk in letting them know a Premium Member just entered.

It was better in the Good Ole Days when the black card and the business card got you in 3 hours early and free danish and coffee as well. Nothing like strolling in past the low level gold stars for a free coffee and danish. Too bad they dont do this anymore. I have to slum it with the goldies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

maniacripper posted:

I heard it goes back to some kind of laws about speakeasies and prohibition. Like there can't be any alcohol consumption clubs or some such nonsense.

I believe its something like that. Regardless, booze prices at Costco are :discourse:

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Costco opens in France and Iceland this month

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

uli2000 posted:

It was better in the Good Ole Days when the black card and the business card got you in 3 hours early and free danish and coffee as well. Nothing like strolling in past the low level gold stars for a free coffee and danish. Too bad they dont do this anymore. I have to slum it with the goldies.

I remember thatm though wasn't it just an hour early? iirc something like get in early at 9 and normal open was 10? That would be nice if they still had that but most everyone seems to be exec already anyways. If you show up here at 10am/(9:30 on sat) or even 15 minutes before there's already a huge rear end line to get in. But yeah I miss the free coffee and pastries as well.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Xaris posted:

Sinegal is loving god and has been keeping the raving rabid shareholders at bay and standing his ground on paying employees well even after they keep pushing to cut employee costs because ???. costco drives your typical shithead mba conservatives absolutely insane because it shows if you pay employees well it actually translates into more sales. who'd have thought??

unfortunately no one else has seemed to catch on besides Trader Joes

gunna suck when he dies

Sinegal hasn't been CEO since 2010 but get this...he hand picked his successor. We're in good hands and have been for 7 years now! The dude that replaced him started working at Costco in 1984!

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

ArbitraryC posted:

Interesting, never tried that before but it makes sense, hot food, pharmacy, optometry, all of those require separate licenses and so does alcohol in most states. Odds are it's a kind of situation where you can't get the license without being willing to serve any legal customer.

Also, optometrists in Costco stores aren't employees, but are independent doctors leasing space.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Pennywise the Frown posted:

The whole video is heart breaking but definitely :unsmith:. He mentions Costco at 7:30. Good thing I bought that huge thing of Kleenex yesterday. Praise be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmWWoMcGmo0

As a hardass man I never cry, but the only thing that gives me a lump in the throat is when I see my fellow man choking up over something he loves, doubly so when it involves Costco

excellent monologue though, at the end when he talks about parents he saw in the hospital was some [real. rear end. poo poo.]

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Costco chocolate chip/chunk cookies are what Subway wishes their cookies were.

Praise be.

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

Yo.

I've been traveling like crazy for business, and therefore haven't had time to get a Costco membership. I belonged to one for years when I lived in Lancaster, PA, but after moving haven't been a member for about the past six years.

I brought it up to the girl that I'm seeing that I'm interested in going back and re-joining, though the nearest store is 1/2 hour from me.

She said she has a membership and that maybe she could get me on hers. Should I propose? TIA.

Also, I remember easy Friday night meal for my ex-wife and kids was one of their bake-at-home pepperoni pizzas, which were tits. I imagine the quality hasn't dropped. I need to try one of their hot dogs, for the years I went there, I would always get a slice, or if I was feeling a real fatboy, a chicken bake.

Anyway, thanks for listening, and next week I plan on re-joining, and when I do, I will get a dog loaded with mustard and onions and post. I can't believe you morons have me this excited about re-joining Costco, but it really is the poo poo, even though I come out at least $200 lighter every visit.

One last thing: do they no longer take Amex? When I was a member that was all they took as far as credit cards, and I'm an Amex guy.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

My location (Montreal) only takes Mastercard. (and whatever card they try and sign you up for).

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Amex and Costco had a clash (Amex were convinced they were a prestige brand and looked down on the Costco people because instead of having MBAs they had just worked for 20 years) which led to Costco walking into the loving arms of Visa. They let 20% of their business walk out the door because they couldn't stop being snobby assholes.

Edit--https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2015-how-amex-lost-costco/

Relevant Tangent fucked around with this message at 11:31 on May 3, 2017

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

Relevant Tangent posted:

Amex and Costco had a clash (Amex were convinced they were a prestige brand and looked down on the Costco people because instead of having MBAs they had just worked for 20 years) which led to Costco walking into the loving arms of Visa. They let 20% of their business walk out the door because they couldn't stop being snobby assholes.

That sucks (for me, at least).

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Get a VISA dog, it takes like 2 minutes to sign up for one

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Woke up, brewed up some fresh ground Kirkland beans. Smelling that good brew, living that good life. Wishin I was around during that danish and coffee life but humbled and joyful to be here now. Already looking forward to my next Costco trip and curious what wonders I'll return with.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
i spent four hundred and sixty one dollars at costco

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Amex has ridiculous processing fees compared to MC and Visa.

uli2000 posted:

They are doing this in Toronto with a location that caters to business owners

http://www.metronews.ca/news/toronto/2016/12/14/costco-new-store-format-gta.html

quote:

“Sometimes we call it internally the Costco retro – we’re going back to our base, back to our roots,” said Marc-André Bally, vice-president business centre for Costco Wholesale Canada.
While the new format is aimed at small-to-medium business owners, including restaurateurs, lawyers, doctors and gym-owners, all card-carrying Costco members can shop the store, at no additional cost.
“It still remains attractive for somebody that has a big family or somebody that is organizing an event, either a BBQ or a soccer mom,” said Bally

Business shoppers aren’t always happy shopping in locations where consumers also shop, said Atkinson, referring to research her firm has conducted in the DIY marketplace.
“They come in very early in the morning, they get their stuff and they don’t want Sally Homemaker getting ahead of them and buying lightbulbs. Their time is money so they want to shop efficiently and they don’t care what it looks like as long as they get what they are looking for,” said Atkinson.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Dat YNAB doe

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

Teikanmi posted:

That would be too many credit cards. Have my Amex, my corporate Amex, and my American Airlines MasterCard, which is my backup if a place won't take Amex, since it helps me rack up miles. Guess I'll have to use my Visa debit card. :(

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Count Freebasie posted:

That would be too many credit cards. Have my Amex, my corporate Amex, and my American Airlines MasterCard, which is my backup if a place won't take Amex, since it helps me rack up miles. Guess I'll have to use my Visa debit card. :(

I have an Amex Platinum for the specific reason that I have to pay it off in full every month, so no debt-building. It's the only credit card I have, otherwise I just use my Visa debit.

The annual fee has more than paid for itself with some of the benefits it comes with. Being able to access a premium lounge for free in almost any airport is very nice.

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

Kelp Me! posted:

I have an Amex Platinum for the specific reason that I have to pay it off in full every month, so no debt-building. It's the only credit card I have, otherwise I just use my Visa debit.

The annual fee has more than paid for itself with some of the benefits it comes with. Being able to access a premium lounge for free in almost any airport is very nice.

Posting this from the Admirals Club right now, funny enough (even though they stopped giving you free access with Platinum).

I have the Platinum for the same reason (lots of work/personal travel), and also because I'm issued a work Amex, and I have the cards linked, so I can keep the points from all the charges on my work card.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
DrEaMiN' bOuT tHeM DOGS

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Bonzo posted:

Amex has ridiculous processing fees compared to MC and Visa.

They are doing this in Toronto with a location that caters to business owners

http://www.metronews.ca/news/toronto/2016/12/14/costco-new-store-format-gta.html

These still exist, there is one 2 miles from my house.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Relevant Tangent posted:

That was an interesting article. It really shows the divide between a huge wall street type company and a powerful brick and mortar store.

Amex: "But we have prestige!"

Costco: "Yeah but you're more expensive."

Amex: "We have a long and wonderful history together!"

Costco: "Dude, you're just another vendor. If we can get cheaper ketchup, we will."

Amex: "How dare you compare us to ketchup! *raises cloak to cover face* Hiiisssssssss!"

Costco: "Get bent."

This article also shows how little I know, much less care about credit card companies. To me (Visa, MC, Amex) it's just a physical printed logo on a piece of plastic that doesn't affect me whatsoever. Whatever benefits the card has is the company that issues it. I've never run into a situation where someone wouldn't take my card.

I don't understand this stuff and frankly it enrages me. But I understand that Costco does, much more than those MBAs do, and they are making these decisions because they give a poo poo about their customers. It really disgusts me that companies exist exclusively to appease shareholders as opposed to their actual customers who use their actual products that actually keep them in business.

Reading that article just made me angry. Not because of the circumstances but just how deplorable that entire separate universe is. What is great though is that Costco has no interest in being a part of that universe. They just care about us. :allears:

Unrelated to Costco, but this is an actual quote near the end of the article. " In 2004, Kanye West boasted about his, memorably referring to it in a song as the “African American Express card.” But last year, Young Thug, the rap icon and influencer of the moment, rhymed in the hedonistic hit Lifestyle about having a $1.5 million spending limit on his Visa card." So this is a thing. Rappers rapping about their branded credit cards.

Not sure if I've mentioned it before but I loving hate everything and want this world to burn........ but dem dogs doh

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 3, 2017

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
There are quite a few business delivery centers in the US, but I think they are new to CA.
Seems like 40-50 but not sure.
Southcenter, WA (#06) is the biggest store, floorspace wise, in the company, so they carry normal whse stuff, and about 1/2 the items from a bd

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Praise be unto Costco

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Count Freebasie posted:

Posting this from the Admirals Club right now, funny enough (even though they stopped giving you free access with Platinum).

I have the Platinum for the same reason (lots of work/personal travel), and also because I'm issued a work Amex, and I have the cards linked, so I can keep the points from all the charges on my work card.

Are you the dude in your avatar?

Be careful man. Hans is a dick.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Ate some Costco provided chicken salad and hecking CHEAP baby bels for lunch. Sing the song of praise, for Costco lifts us higher!

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

Are you the dude in your avatar?

Be careful man. Hans is a dick.

Relax, babe. I negotiate million dollar deals for breakfast; I think I can handle this Euro-trash.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

That was an interesting article. It really shows the divide between a huge wall street type company and a powerful brick and mortar store.

Amex: "But we have prestige!"

Costco: "Yeah but you're more expensive."

Amex: "We have a long and wonderful history together!"

Costco: "Dude, you're just another vendor. If we can get cheaper ketchup, we will."

Amex: "How dare you compare us to ketchup! *raises cloak to cover face* Hiiisssssssss!"

Costco: "Get bent."

This article also shows how little I know, much less care about credit card companies. To me (Visa, MC, Amex) it's just a physical printed logo on a piece of plastic that doesn't affect me whatsoever. Whatever benefits the card has is the company that issues it. I've never run into a situation where someone wouldn't take my card.

I don't understand this stuff and frankly it enrages me. But I understand that Costco does, much more than those MBAs do, and they are making these decisions because they give a poo poo about their customers. It really disgusts me that companies exist exclusively to appease shareholders as opposed to their actual customers who use their actual products that actually keep them in business.

Reading that article just made me angry. Not because of the circumstances but just how deplorable that entire separate universe is. What is great though is that Costco has no interest in being a part of that universe. They just care about us. :allears:

Unrelated to Costco, but this is an actual quote near the end of the article. " In 2004, Kanye West boasted about his, memorably referring to it in a song as the “African American Express card.” But last year, Young Thug, the rap icon and influencer of the moment, rhymed in the hedonistic hit Lifestyle about having a $1.5 million spending limit on his Visa card." So this is a thing. Rappers rapping about their branded credit cards.

Not sure if I've mentioned it before but I loving hate everything and want this world to burn........ but dem dogs doh

Visa and MasterCard (called MasterCharge back in the day) used to be individual companies and you applied for the cards directly through them. The cards looked the same but the entire Visa or MC logo was the card, no your bank's graphics.

The charm was that Visa was more accepted overseas and more locations other than you local bank's card, or traveler's cheques.

AmEx is just living off the inertia of Boomers and GenXers who remember the "don't leave home without it" commercials.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Relevant Tangent posted:

Costco. Average Joes capable of toppling 150+ year old corporate monilth credit giants. Awesome.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Teikanmi posted:

Does the Costco Card give me 2% on dogs because its Costco, or 3% because its dining?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

FogHelmut posted:

Does the Costco Card give me 2% on dogs because its Costco, or 3% because its dining?

My last swipe at the food court was "Merchandise ­ WHOLESALE CLUBS" so it looks like 2%.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

FogHelmut posted:

I mean, I get why you would want to min/max your Costco DPS, but it's only a buck fifty my man

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Meydey posted:

Not my pic, but apparantly this was taken last week at the Seattle Costco. Oh my.

Oh yeah I tried that when I went there

It was pretty good but yeah 1000 cals

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Nobody's forcing you to eat all that dressing.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

for the same amount of calories, you could have TWO c-dogs instead of a burg :eyepop:

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Nobody's forcing you to eat all that dressing.

The dressing doesn't come on the side it comes on the burger itself

Plus as someone else said it's probably that much including a drink which I didn't have, and you know what anyways? I'd be happy if they overshot the calorie count. Easier to just stop and go "Yeah one slice on a Friday and that's that"

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

the good fax machine posted:

I mean, I get why you would want to min/max your Costco DPS, but it's only a buck fifty my man

Do you realize how many dogs have been purchased just by this thread alone?

2% of a sweet dog is $0.03. We could probably sponsor our own charity with the cash back eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

FogHelmut posted:

The food courts in canada are cash only, so if you buy 2000 dogs there a year, you're losing out on the entire extra cost of your executive membership.