Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

After the final BTMI show I've had a hard time returning to any of Jeff's stuff in general. I've either burned out on it or it reminds me too much of that particular era, not sure. Those two Kudrow records are still good listening, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

Sure, I've tried those too. Just can't get into them. :(

My man

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Wheat Loaf posted:

You don't have to

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I reckon I've said loads of times at this point that as far as third wave bands go, I like the Toasters best. They're great. I like them and I like the Scofflaws and a few others, because they're closest to 2 Tone and all the 60s type R&B stuff, which is what I got into when I was learning to play the saxophone.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Wheat Loaf posted:

I reckon I've said loads of times at this point that as far as third wave bands go, I like the Toasters best. They're great. I like them and I like the Scofflaws and a few others, because they're closest to 2 Tone and all the 60s type R&B stuff, which is what I got into when I was learning to play the saxophone.

uhhhhh sorry the mighty mighty bosstones are objectively the best ska band

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
For me it's streetlight

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

nerve posted:

This is the correct opinion

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Time to stop talking about not liking Jeff because new Jeff song

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

this sure is a weird modest mouse cover

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

CodfishCartographer posted:

Time to stop talking about not liking Jeff because new Jeff song

This is one of the less bad Jeff songs, but I would still rather listen to non-Jeff songs.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Sounds like be calm by the cribs

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Congratulations, you have taste.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Recently got these old singles, which are more my speed.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

nerve posted:

:yeah:

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Since Streetlight was formed, they have put out the same amount of original, non-covers albums as the Mighty Mighty Bosstones, who were formed in the 80's and were on hiatus from 2004-2007

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Just a heads up, The Selecter and The Beat are playing in Leuven (Flanders) on October 26th as part of their European tour. Other than Belgium I'm seeing venues in the Netherlands and Germany so far. Looks like they'll be touring the US in August as well.

Along with The Specials they're my favorite two-tone bands so naturally I bought tickets as soon as I found out.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Teemu Pokemon posted:

Since Streetlight was formed, they have put out the same amount of original, non-covers albums as the Mighty Mighty Bosstones, who were formed in the 80's and were on hiatus from 2004-2007

Impossible I can namd more than three bosstones albums rn

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Impossible I can namd more than three bosstones albums rn

He means that since 2002 when Streetlight formed, the only original non-cover albums they've released were Everything Goes Numb, Somewhere in the Between, and The Hands That Thieve.

In that same time span, the Bosstones put out A Jackknife to a Swan, Pin Points and Gin Joints, and The Magic of Youth, while also being on hiatus during the 04-07 stretch

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Even though it technically contains a bunch of old B-sides they also recorded Medium Rare in 2008.

OTOH Streetlight has been touring pretty regularly - in addition to Tomas doing the Toh Kay tours - while being locked up in a bitter court fight with Victory.

In that same time span the Bosstones have done a handful of shows each year (they haven't done more than 20 shows in a year since 2008) since coming back from the hiatus.

All things being relative I'd look at it as a wash.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Except the Bosstones never announced that they were going to stop touring and focus on writing and recording music, going as far as to hold a weekend of "Last Concerts Ever" before getting lapped by a 30 year old band who reunited as a hobby

Geoj posted:

Streetlight has been touring pretty regularly - in addition to Tomas charging people again to listen to him play covers of his own loving songs instead of writing new ones

Don't worry guys 99SOR vol. 2 will be out any day now

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 15:37 on May 3, 2017

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Remember how 99SOR was gunna be 9 albums from 3 "different" bands?

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
I thought it was eight albums from four "bands"

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Red Metal posted:

Oh, yeah you're right. Dunno why I thoguht it'd be 9 albums from 3 bands, maybe I just assumed it'd be 9 11-song albums. I wonder what the other two "Streetlight Manifesto related" artists were are.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

The next Streetlight Manifesto release will be an EP containing 5 different, new versions of "Dear Sergio"

e: and people will keep shouting for Mrs. Buttersworth at shows because there isn't enough other material to forget it

Misc fucked around with this message at 16:38 on May 3, 2017

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Misc posted:

The next Streetlight Manifesto release will be an EP containing 5 different, new versions of "Dear Sergio"

sold

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I would deal with more self-covers if one was a studio (or at least studio quality live version) of Point/Keasbey/Counterpoint

New prediction, the next Streetlight album will be a live album in 2 years and then they won't release another album until 2021 if ever again

Red Metal posted:

I'll put money on one of them planned as BOTAR just to get us more pissed when that's confirmed after the last 88 songs never get made and the project is officially scrapped

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 3, 2017

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Considering how bad 99SOR was, I'm glad it's over

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

Fateo McMurray posted:

Considering how bad 99SOR was, I'm glad it's over

Meet the new ska boss. Same as the old ska boss.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

It felt so forced and minimal effort. It was like a "here's music victory this counts gently caress off"

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
I want to see a band in a fight with their label release a record called "Contractual Obligations"

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
streetlight makes better music than the bosstones though, so at least they have a leg up there

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

This must be how everyone feels when I say Jeff sucks. Not mad, just disappointed in bad opinions

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Fateo McMurray posted:

It felt so forced and minimal effort. It was like a "here's music victory this counts gently caress off"

this makes it worth it actually

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

I also think streetlight is better than MMB, but MMB makes ska/pop music. No streetlight song has the same crossover appeal that some Bosstones songs do. Comparing them is pretty silly.

When Pigs Cry
Oct 23, 2012
Buglord
Yeah, because Streetlight sux.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Huh. Fury of the Aquabats is 20 years old this year.

I kinda want something to come out of that.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I want to see a band in a fight with their label release a record called "Contractual Obligations"

Been done.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

nerve posted:

streetlight makes better music than the bosstones though, so at least they have a leg up there

When Pigs Cry posted:

Yeah, because Streetlight sux.

bad take factory itt

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

Skeezy posted:

Huh. Fury of the Aquabats is 20 years old this year.

I kinda want something to come out of that.

What's Blink-182 doing right now besides skipping fake festivals? Someone get the Baron Von Tito a new rashguard and pair of Vans.

edit: I went to way more Streetlight shows than Bosstones in my youth (the hiatus didn't help). Even still I never find myself randomly humming a Streetlight tune like I do "Where'd You Go" or "Royal Oil". The Bosstones have had staying power through my life, man.

Misc fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Misc posted:

What's Blink-182 doing right now besides skipping fake festivals? Someone get the Baron Von Tito a new rashguard and pair of Vans.

edit: I went to way more Streetlight shows than Bosstones in my youth (the hiatus didn't help). Even still I never find myself randomly humming a Streetlight tune like I do "Where'd You Go" or "Royal Oil". The Bosstones have had staying power through my life, man.

im not even a huge bosstones fan but every so often i catch myself humming desmond dekker