Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

iospace posted:

I don't get why people shun minor leagues so much. The prices are much more reasonable, and while you're not seeing the ULTIMATE TALENT in that sport, you're still likely to get a good game.

Plus depending on the league, you might be seeing future big leaguers. I loved living a WHL town (that's junior, but the conceit of seeing future stars still holds true). I got to see Joe Sakic, Theo Fleury, Ryan Smyth, Ray Whitney and Scott Niedermayer play their junior hockey.

I wish we'd gotten gov't assistance to build the arena so we could be Winnipeg's AHL team. It'd have been cool.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Plus depending on the league, you might be seeing future big leaguers. I loved living a WHL town (that's junior, but the conceit of seeing future stars still holds true). I got to see Joe Sakic, Theo Fleury, Ryan Smyth, Ray Whitney and Scott Niedermayer play their junior hockey.

I wish we'd gotten gov't assistance to build the arena so we could be Winnipeg's AHL team. It'd have been cool.

:frogout:

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Alberta is also really good, they and UNB could play with any NCAA team.

(and goes without saying that they would crush any CHL team)

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
the alberta team jerseys own too

also put clare drake in the hhof already

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

We applied for it to build the arena, then tried to raise the funds on our own. It's not gonna happen anyways.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

T-Bone posted:

Alberta is also really good, they and UNB could play with any NCAA team.

(and goes without saying that they would crush any CHL team)

I'm somewhat surprised honestly by how well UNB tends to do.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

inferis posted:

I basically root for anyone who came out of the WHL no matter what team they came from because I saw them play as kids.

Absolutely 100% the same that's why I'm basically the only dude in the nhl threads that likes Thomas Hockey on the isles or Pickard on the Avs and wants them to do well :v:

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
Saint John repeats history by stomping Chicoutimi after losing to them in overtime. This time 4 - 0. Good news BAS, BHAS, SenAS, and Hand KnitAS, Zboril, Noel, Chabot, and Veleno all scored.

Hopefully the Islanders can pull out the next three games.

Also whoever came up with the playoff schedule should be shot. Friday: CHI @ SNB; Saturday: BLB @ CHA; Sunday: SNB @ CHI, CHA@BLB. I know they're kids but it seems kind of dumb to schedule a home and home back to back in the play offs. I'm assuming some sort of concert or something is what made it that way but it still seems dumb.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Duke Chin posted:

Absolutely 100% the same that's why I'm basically the only dude in the nhl threads that likes Thomas Hockey on the isles or Pickard on the Avs and wants them to do well :v:

Also why every 67 is awesome and I desperately as them to succeed. What do you mean Ryan Martindale isn't an NHLer.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Stretch Marx posted:

Saint John repeats history by stomping Chicoutimi after losing to them in overtime. This time 4 - 0. Good news BAS, BHAS, SenAS, and Hand KnitAS, Zboril, Noel, Chabot, and Veleno all scored.

Hopefully the Islanders can pull out the next three games.

Also whoever came up with the playoff schedule should be shot. Friday: CHI @ SNB; Saturday: BLB @ CHA; Sunday: SNB @ CHI, CHA@BLB. I know they're kids but it seems kind of dumb to schedule a home and home back to back in the play offs. I'm assuming some sort of concert or something is what made it that way but it still seems dumb.

Appreciate all these updates from the Q man, I'm pumped as hell about Chabot

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

The Dirty Burger posted:

Appreciate all these updates from the Q man, I'm pumped as hell about Chabot

No worries. Yeah I'm jealous. He's a cannon.

I wish I could flag the Leafs to Veleno because that guy's nuts.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Stretch Marx posted:

I wish I could flag the Leafs to Veleno because that guy's nuts.

Really? For a player with exceptional status he's been very underwhelming from a production perspective. As it stands right now, he's probably not even a top 5 pick next year. He's looking even less impressive than Sean Day in that regard. Then again, I don't watch him kn a regular basis. What stands out about him?

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

ThinkTank posted:

Really? For a player with exceptional status he's been very underwhelming from a production perspective. As it stands right now, he's probably not even a top 5 pick next year. He's looking even less impressive than Sean Day in that regard. Then again, I don't watch him kn a regular basis. What stands out about him?

He gets a lot of assists because he's fast and has good hand skills. I'd say he's a poor man's Marner. He's not amazeballs but I honestly wouldn't be upset with him on the team though I'd want him to do a proper stint with the Marlies.

Here are the high lights from the game, it has a couple examples of what Veleno can do. But seriously watch Chabot. He skates in, undresses the defense, shoots, picks up his own rebound in the corner, undresses the defense again, skates into the slot and scores. Completely unassisted.

Stretch Marx fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Apr 29, 2017

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
The real test for whether Veleno will pan out will be next season when most of the current top players leave and Saint John goes through the usual good - lovely cycle. Luckily so far management has been competent to draft and run the team through these cycles properly.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
https://twitter.com/smashmode/status/858180726809702401

Kelowna dudes showing up to game 5 in ref costumes. One of em apparently ended up being a douche and got kicked out.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Welcome to the top division South Korea:

https://twitter.com/BradyTrett/status/858054574074060800

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

:unsmith:

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
I am sad to say that the Islanders won't be moving on. This is still the best they've ever done and their team is still really good. If SJ wins tomorrow I think the Armada will give them a good run but I still think SJ is the better team.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Stretch Marx posted:

I am sad to say that the Islanders won't be moving on. This is still the best they've ever done and their team is still really good. If SJ wins tomorrow I think the Armada will give them a good run but I still think SJ is the better team.

I hope they put Sprong on a plane and get him to morning skate tomorow because AND could use some offense after yesterday's game.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

that's awesome, good for them :toot:

Toledo up 2-0 after an OT winner in game 2 over Fort Wayne. Woo walleye :coolfish:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Oh, that is proper nasty.

:shlick:

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

WBS eliminated in 5 games with a final score 2-1 even after putting up 51 shots. gently caress, this team really is the Caps of the AHL.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

iospace posted:

I don't get why people shun minor leagues so much. The prices are much more reasonable, and while you're not seeing the ULTIMATE TALENT in that sport, you're still likely to get a good game.

Hell, sometimes you do get to see ultimate talent. Pekka Rinne played two games for Milwaukee a couple seasons ago on a conditioning assignment and I sure as gently caress made sure I got to see him play.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

Infidel Castro posted:

Hell, sometimes you do get to see ultimate talent. Pekka Rinne played two games for Milwaukee a couple seasons ago on a conditioning assignment and I sure as gently caress made sure I got to see him play.

If you go to WBS Pens games you are just about guaranteed to see players who will play in the NHL. (Penguins injuries lol) I got to see someone who is now leading the playoff scoring race last year and part of this year so that's cool.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Mage_Boy posted:

WBS eliminated in 5 games with a final score 2-1 even after putting up 51 shots. gently caress, this team really is the Caps of the AHL.

I was sick all week so I couldn't make it down to a game. Also gently caress Boston for losing in the first round and sending their players back.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
Saint John wins and moves on to the finals with a game we can potentially call hockey win 6 - 5 with 6 goals in the 3rd.

Veleno, Chabot, Zboril, and Imama all scored with Imama getting the winner.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Any chance imama can play NHL, in like a fourth line role? Asking for a friend.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Wonderllama posted:

Any chance imama can play NHL, in like a fourth line role? Asking for a friend.

I really like Imama. He's a big dude and leans on everyone and has a really nice shot. He kind of reminds me of Ovechkin in that he's incredibly energetic and makes other players poo poo themselves when he comes flying in. I don't think he'll ever be better than a 3rd line guy but I could see him make it if he puts the effort in. Which I think he can out of most of the veterans.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Mage_Boy posted:

If you go to WBS Pens games you are just about guaranteed to see players who will play in the NHL. (Penguins injuries lol) I got to see someone who is now leading the playoff scoring race last year and part of this year so that's cool.

I got a derrick pouliot winterhawks jersey and I wonder every day if he's ever gonna get his poo poo together and start performing like he did in junior.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
In a weird coincidence all three CHL leagues finished their semi-finals on the same night to decide their respective champions.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Hooray Seattle Thunderbirds of Kent Washington. :toot::siren::golfclap:

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Duke Chin posted:

Hooray Seattle Thunderbirds of Kent Washington. :toot::siren::golfclap:

The Pats are going to put your team in the burn barrel with the rest of the garbage.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Just in case you were wondering why we haven't seen a gay hockey player yet:

quote:

When Anderson-Dolan was going through the WHL bantam draft process, some teams told him and his family they would not take him because of his two mothers.

Anderson-Dolan, with the talent to be picked in the top five of the draft, slipped all the way to No. 14 to Spokane.

“I can’t change people’s opinions. If that’s how they feel about it, I’d honestly rather not be in that organization if they’re going to be like that,” Jaret said. “I’d rather be in an organization with the Chiefs where they support it completely.

“Maybe that ended up with me falling in the draft a little bit, but I don’t really care, honestly.”

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/may/01/nothing-about-chiefs-jaret-anderson-dolan-is-ordin/

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

Just in case you were wondering why we haven't seen a gay hockey player yet:

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/may/01/nothing-about-chiefs-jaret-anderson-dolan-is-ordin/

good on him, he comes across really mature in his quotes too

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
JAD is awesome, and if we got him because a bunch of shitheads wouldn't draft him so much the better.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Thank god portland didn't have any first round picks until this year so I can pretend that an organization with a native logo is still progressive. This town is so loving weird because Portland is so liberal but the majority of our junior hockey fans come from the lovely suburbs.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I hope he burns the league to the loving ground with his play. Unacceptable.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Portland is whiter than my left rear end cheek and just because it's filled with white liberals who plug their ears when asked about the city's astoundingly racist history doesn't mean its any less racist.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

DJExile posted:

Portland is whiter than my left rear end cheek and just because it's filled with white liberals who plug their ears when asked about the city's astoundingly racist history doesn't mean its any less racist.

Yep pretty much, but what I was saying is that timbers or blazers fans don't call me a human being when I disagree with their sports opinions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Do we want to do a World Championship thread? Anyway for some reason good players went for the US this year, despite the Olympics not being a thing. Eichel and Gaudreau are there and a bunch of other guys like Hellebuyck, Trouba, McAvoy, Larkin, Keller, Lee, Nelson etc. It looks like the best US WC team in years.

Canada has got Scheifele, ROR, Giroux, Marner, MacKinnon, Wayne Train, Skinner, Couturier, to name a few. Their D looks like a fun one for international ice with a possible top four of Vlasic, Demers, Barrie, Morrissey.

Sweden has a ton of NHLers as well: Klingberg, Stralman, Lindholm, OEL, Nylander, Joel Eriksson Ek, Hedman, Landeskog, etc -- probably the most NHLers they've ever had at the WC.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 01:05 on May 4, 2017

• Locked thread