Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Please Funimation. I need to see this drat movie again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Compared to how long it took them to put out Rebuild of Eva 3.33, this is speedy. :v:

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

I assume this will be without an English dub, correct? Obviously I prefer sub-titles but my six year old has seen it twice now without dialog.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Funimation typically dubs their live-action acquisitions.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Of all the dubs, I do not envy this one's job considering so much of it requires the subtly of bilingual conversations.

Mind you the english side of those are trash as usual, so hey.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I'd enjoy an option that subtitles the japanese dialog and dubs over the english.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Terrible Opinions posted:

I'd enjoy an option that subtitles the japanese dialog and dubs over the english.

But the horrible English is half the fun.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Waffleman_ posted:

Funimation typically dubs their live-action acquisitions.

Awesome! He's going to be excited.

Mr. Funny Pants fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 5, 2017

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Yeah, that poo poo's a feature, not a bug.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Detective No. 27 posted:

Hence wanting that to be an option not the only sound system. I mean if I really had my way we'd also have a version that does terrible American English dub over the Japanese and terrible Japanese acted English for the English.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Terrible Opinions posted:

Hence wanting that to be an option not the only sound system. I mean if I really had my way we'd also have a version that does terrible American English dub over the Japanese and terrible Japanese acted English for the English.

This man's going places....

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
The English dialogue in Shin is tonally inconsistent with the rest of the movie and by far the worst thing about it.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Are we still talking about the movie where a newly minted P.M. complains about his soggy noodles while a nuclear waste monster is rampaging through the city?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
She's also got like ten lines in the entire film.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

K. Waste posted:

Are we still talking about the movie where a newly minted P.M. complains about his soggy noodles while a nuclear waste monster is rampaging through the city?

It's not exactly speed-walking androids and Jim Henson's Ghidorah Babies, now, is it? And the third act is packed full of English dialogue, all of it dreadful.

e: Godzilla movies are not all some monolithic block of same-flavored cheese. What might be enjoyably stupid in one movie might be annoyingly tone-deaf in another.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 5, 2017

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
The more I've thought about it the more the English doesn't bother me. We have American movies all the time where actors botch another language. We just don't realize it because it isn't our primary language. Shin Godzilla was a Japanese movie made by a Japanese director with Japanese actors made for a Japanese audience.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The_Rob posted:

The more I've thought about it the more the English doesn't bother me. We have American movies all the time where actors botch another language. We just don't realize it because it isn't our primary language. Shin Godzilla was a Japanese movie made by a Japanese director with Japanese actors made for a Japanese audience.

Exactly. it's our turn now.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

The_Rob posted:

Well, you're not wrong.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Bimmi posted:

It's not exactly speed-walking androids and Jim Henson's Ghidorah Babies, now, is it? And the third act is packed full of English dialogue, all of it dreadful.

e: Godzilla movies are not all some monolithic block of same-flavored cheese. What might be enjoyably stupid in one movie might be annoyingly tone-deaf in another.

I have not written about any other Godzilla movies except Shin. You are the one who has written about the apparent tonal inconsistency of the non-fluent English dialog.

But since you bring it up, you apparently see some tonal inconsistency between Shin and Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah. What are these? Are you under the impression that King Ghidorah isn't satiric?

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Shin Godzilla is horror-disaster spiked with dry comedy. GvsKG is... well, I dunno exactly what the gently caress it is, but it ain't that.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

K. Waste posted:

I have not written about any other Godzilla movies except Shin. You are the one who has written about the apparent tonal inconsistency of the non-fluent English dialog.

But since you bring it up, you apparently see some tonal inconsistency between Shin and Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah. What are these? Are you under the impression that King Ghidorah isn't satiric?

satiric? Shoot, it's flat-out propaganda at the level it sits at.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Love Heisei Gojira as a character design and a concept, but the movies left me fairly underwhelmed for the most part.

Apart from Miki Saegusa that is, junior-high me would have thought she was 'real neat.'

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bimmi posted:

Love Heisei Gojira as a character design and a concept, but the movies left me fairly underwhelmed for the most part.

Apart from Miki Saegusa that is, junior-high me would have thought she was 'real neat.'

The Heisei films after Return, and to a slightly lesser extent Bio, all suffered from the same thing.

Big ideas, but made annually on a not so great budget. They were still at a point where they could afford to do that and not make it look like poo poo, but it came crashing down on them pretty hard with Space Godzilla. All of them are way cheaper than they should be because no time was given to them to really get made properly. It's why Rebirth of Mothra 1 is better looking than any of the 90s Godzilla films.

The 2000s were especially cruel, just completely loving over the movies that could have been really perfect. Even GMK needed a lot more polish and a lot more shine. They were all impacted negatively by the annual movie bullshit.

It's one reason why I'd be really worried about the Star Wars franchise if I was a Star Wars fan, because that whole pump out a movie every goddamn year thing is not going to do anything good for them. Episode 8 is the last movie where that might not be a problem, but after that, whoo boy

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I'll admit to only having seen the Heisei films once apiece, and the afternoon I spent watching Space Godzilla was uncomfortable to say the least.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

That's a good summation of the Heisei films. But they're just so charming with their camp and weirdness I can't help but like them.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I love about half of the Heisei movies myself, but agreed Space Godzilla is very poor. I think Biollante, 90s Mechagodzilla, and Destoroyah are Top 10 Godzilla films. I also love most of the 2000s films, GMK is a solid choice for best Godzilla movie for me. In general I think both eras compare pretty favorably to the Showa Godzilla film series.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Oh don't get me wrong, I loving adore most of them.

I'm just talking about how the production hosed them over from being really good MOVIES, instead of just really good Godzilla films. Though Destroyah almost makes that leap anyways.

Stuff like how Space Godzilla's Godzilla suit was literally falling apart, or how the Kiryu movies were stuck with an awful Godzilla suit that NO ONE liked, but they couldn't fix it and couldn't replace it because of the schedule they were on. Not that the design was bad, Kiryu Godzilla has one of my favorite looks, but the fact that it just did not MOVE. It was a near frozen piece of poo poo that was terrible to act in and couldn't do much more than slowly look around and be gormless.

They wanted to use the GMK suit instead, but it was horribly out of scale with the Kiryu MechaGodzilla suit, which they were absolutely proud of and did not have the time or budget to modify to fit.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
I'm not a fan of Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla, but Tokyo S.O.S. is my loving jam.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the Heisei movies generally have good FX but there's always *something* off- the asteroid battle in Space Godzilla, the Bandai miniature Destoroyahs in Godzilla vs. Destoroyah, G vs KG where they can't figure out a consistent way to show M11 moving fast, etc.

Being committed to one movie a year was definitely part of the problem, but also the resources weren't always there. I get the impression the Japanese film industry never fully recovered from the crash of the late 60s and 70s. TCM was showing Mothra a couple of nights ago, and for that they had a "costume" for the larva that was forty feet long and had seven people operating it. (Similarly when Rodan was being made, Tsubaraya got to make some huge miniature buildings because they didn't have to be scaled to the costume.) These were technically still smaller movies than Hollywood but you look at the miniatures in a Toho flick and they're comparable to what anyone else was doing.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I think I'm definitely in the minority when I say that I genuinely think Final Wars was the best Godzilla movie made in my lifetime (I wasn't born til after the Showa films finished). It's action packed and genuinely funny (the director is fluent in English, he knew drat well what he was getting out of Dwight Frye for example). Also, I'm a sucker for how it's a valentine for all the Toho/Honda kaiju eiga. (seriously, the Xians' false flag plan is to steal the plot from GORATH of all films?!) I would love to see someone annotate the crap out of the film, as seriously there'd be something to point out like, every other minute. The only real flaws I see with the film are that by cramming it so full of action scenes, they kinda drown each other out and are each over too quickly. Like, if the film had better pacing it would be probably much better liked.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
That's Don Frye, pal.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Choco1980 posted:

I think I'm definitely in the minority when I say that I genuinely think Final Wars was the best Godzilla movie made in my lifetime

It's one of my top favs, completely rules. Got to see it in theaters too. It is a masterpiece in every conceivable way.

(I also love Ryuhei Kitamura's take on Metal Gear Solid)

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
the actual best godzilla film is Godzilla vs. Bambi

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Tezcatlipoca posted:

That's Don Frye, pal.

dammit. I'll leave my shame up for all to see.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Burkion posted:

It's one reason why I'd be really worried about the Star Wars franchise if I was a Star Wars fan, because that whole pump out a movie every goddamn year thing is not going to do anything good for them. Episode 8 is the last movie where that might not be a problem, but after that, whoo boy

There's no way that Disney would shortchange any of their Star Wars film productions in terms of budget or facilities or staff and they'll have a lead up of several years for each movie. Pumping out one a year is Disney being restrained, they could have easily scheduled several a year like they do with their Marvel superhero films.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Yoshimitsu Banno, director of Godzilla vs. Hedorah, has snuffed it. I think it's safe to say the guy changed my life.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Bimmi posted:

Yoshimitsu Banno, director of Godzilla vs. Hedorah, has snuffed it. I think it's safe to say the guy changed my life.

He was also assistant director on Throne of Blood and Hidden Fortress so .... drat.

Here's an interview with him from 2014:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1dL7lA7bss

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Rest in peace Banno. Your jet engine Godzilla scene was so ridiculous that Tomoyuki Tanaka exerted his power to blacklist you from directing in Japan again, but you were still a helluva producer, and as much in love with the Big G on that side of the creative process as Tanaka himself.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Yeah that dude made good movies and vs Hedorah owned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Packaging for the US release: