Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I remember a WW2 gun camera film on youtube where the guy is strafing a parked bomber and the perspective is up, ie he is literally closer to the ground than a parked plane. The mishap rate must've been something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

aphid_licker posted:

I remember a WW2 gun camera film on youtube where the guy is strafing a parked bomber and the perspective is up, ie he is literally closer to the ground than a parked plane. The mishap rate must've been something else.

It's always weird to hear about something that I thought was just a stupid thing we did in Battlefield 1942 actually happened in real life. Next you'll tell me that pilots would intentionally take out lone standing infantry by hitting them with their wings :v:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Someone, somewhere MUST have tried it, but I doubt its a doctrine or anything.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
AirmanJoe69 [ROADKILL] xXxAdolfLover39xXx

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

aphid_licker posted:

I know the video you're talking about. If you keep in mind that the camera is mounted pretty low it makes it a little better...

Does ground effect come into play if you fly that low? If you're flying level at some stupid altitude like that, will it make it slightly harder for the plane to dip down further?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Platystemon posted:

The amazing thing isn’t that the plane could stay in the air with a propeller like that; it’s that it could stay in the air while carrying the pilot’s massive brass balls coke bottle glasses to address his myopia.

There, that's probably more accurate. Also, having just recently watch Thunderbolt I would say it's about a 90% chance that the pilot was massively hungover or still drunk.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPbxIrprato

It landed successfully at another airport.

He must have went to another airport because he couldn't face looking like such an idiot at that one.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Platystemon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPbxIrprato

It landed successfully at another airport.

Why did he go around with messed up props :confused:

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
He didn't even go around he straight up flew 100 miles home like a dummy.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Buttcoin purse posted:

It's always weird to hear about something that I thought was just a stupid thing we did in Battlefield 1942 actually happened in real life. Next you'll tell me that pilots would intentionally take out lone standing infantry by hitting them with their wings :v:

Or their buddies at the airfield!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UntN_cZUQg8

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

a dingus posted:

He must have went to another airport because he couldn't face looking like such an idiot at that one.

He flew something like 75 miles to his home airport with the props looking like this:

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Buttcoin purse posted:

Or that someone evaded a chasing fighter by flying straight up, opening the canopy, and shooting a bazooka at the plane behind him

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

wolrah posted:

He flew something like 75 miles to his home airport with the props looking like this:

The last time this came up in the thread someone found the plane for sale listing on controller with just the comment "needs props"

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

aphid_licker posted:

The sad part is tons of airman died after the war in cornfields hotshoting in crop dusters.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

hobbesmaster posted:

The last time this came up in the thread someone found the plane for sale listing on controller with just the comment "needs props"

Yeah, if you google the tail number you'll find a bunch of threads linking to it. The posting is obviously no longer up.

It seems that plane was sold to someone in Texas and is back in the air.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

hobbesmaster posted:

Don't you have to tear down the engines and check bearings when something like that happens?

Ormy
Apr 5, 2005

0toShifty posted:

Don't you have to tear down the engines and check bearings when something like that happens?

Yeah, the cranks could well be done.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

0toShifty posted:

AS-IS, WHERE IS

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Duke Chin posted:

in 1942 I played with a guy who was good enough to roll 90 degrees and get you with the wingtip.

once upon a time, he tried this as I was putting down landmines near a capture point, resulting in - technically speaking - an air-to-air landmine kill as his wing clipped and detonated it while it was in mid-drop. And yes, the killfeed was "psion [landmine] whats_his_name."

Psion fucked around with this message at 20:52 on May 4, 2017

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

One-banging an attack plane with an at grenade is still my greatest AA related achievement in battlefield. Just tossed it over my head as I was getting strafed and the fucker flew right into it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

evil_bunnY posted:

One-banging an attack plane with an at grenade is still my greatest AA related achievement in battlefield. Just tossed it over my head as I was getting strafed and the fucker flew right into it.

I got accused of hacking in Desert Combat *sooooo* goddamned often because I learned how to properly lead and shoot down aircraft with an MBT tank gun. Their fault for flying level. :v:

Also, dammit, San Francisco... http://blog.sfgate.com/cmcginnis/2017/05/04/russian-mystery-plane-at-sfo/

"OMG SOMETHING UNEXPECTED, WILL THIS AFFECT MY PROPERTY VALUES?!?!?"

Anyone who's a proper 'aviation geek' should know these things are one of the only ways to transport GEnx engines.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 11:10 on May 5, 2017

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I got accused of hacking in Desert Combat *sooooo* goddamned often because I learned how to properly lead and shoot down aircraft with an MBT tank gun. Their fault for flying level. :v:

Also, dammit, San Francisco... http://blog.sfgate.com/cmcginnis/2017/05/04/russian-mystery-plane-at-sfo/

"OMG SOMETHING UNEXPECTED, WILL THIS AFFECT MY PROPERTY VALUES?!?!?"

Anyone who's a proper 'aviation geek' should know these things are one of the only ways to transport GEnx engines.

I want to write in and say it's related to the UN delivering supplies to FEMA for use at refuge camps centres in case of natural disaster. Spin some bullshit about water fluridation and sterilisation additives for the camp centre tanks being perishable and needing regular replenishment, but that the manufacture of those chemicals in the US is illegal (even though their use isn't), kinda like the Execution Chemicals the US prison system uses. Play it off like I don't know half those things trigger :tinfoil: nutcases

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

http://wardocumentaryfilms.com/aviation/rare-raf-aircraft-rips-runway-pieces-takes-off/

This is why you always read the GIANT report

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

One of the people I play GTA:Online with is a good enough pilot to regularly nail players on the ground with a prop or landing gear.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Saw an Osprey rolling into Boeing Field's north end today on my way to work. I'm pretty sure that's the first time I've seen one props-up and hover-scooting around in person. I've seen a pair doing level, fast flight headed out west before. Not sure if it was the weather conditions around here but it was actually quite a bit quieter than I was expecting.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I did this with a heavy tank in BF1. At least twice.

It's mostly luck.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

It happened at few times in WWII.

It was such a wide reaching war with so much combat that every crazy physically possible thing you can think of probably happened at least once.

savex
May 28, 2014

I guess the airport authority won't allow him to come back...

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Jonathan Demers posted:

I guess the airport authority won't allow him to come back...

They should't have used dried cow dung as a surfacing material.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

One of my first airshow lessons was delivered by a vampire. Don't stand behind the jetpipe, even if you're like 70m away.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jaguars! posted:

One of my first airshow lessons was delivered by a vampire.

this sounds much cooler than what actually happened

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

There are probably kids today who got their first life lessons in general from "Vampires" and those would be even more of a letdown.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
Contact!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Paw-propping.

Kebbins
Apr 9, 2017

BRAK LIVES MATTER

Duke Chin posted:

Harry Ramsbottom, best bot name ever.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

There needs to be a WW1 movie now with a mechanic bear who helps to start the props

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wojtek_(bear)

They already can carry boxes of ammunition..

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nerobro posted:

It's too bad there's no pictures of the captain of the British transport after being told they wants to bring a loving bear on to his ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Nerobro posted:

The constant nightmare of the milhist thread

Got a question if anybody knows the answer. In World War 2, did anybody work on aerial refueling aside from the Germans? I'm working on a infodump post and I'm surprised 1) how far the Germans actually were in its development, and 2) that nobody else even thought to mess around with similar systems.