Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

MiddleOne posted:

On the other hand, pin-cushion man.

That doesn't really help what makes me uneasy about the whole sequence. It's a Frank Miller level of otherizing and fetishizing Native Americans.

Like, I get why it is the way it is, it just feels really shallow and, again, like something Frank Miller would write.

It also doesn't help that Valhalla Rising covered similar ground much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It basically should have been the white men murdering the natives.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Longbaugh01 posted:

I've only just now started seeing this meme in The Leftovers thread and already feel like it needs to die, whether it's referring to :lost: or anything else. (Though I'm also starting to think it's true somewhat when it comes to Lost.)
It's 100% true for Lost, but Hannibal didn't gently caress up anyone because nobody watched it; certainly no mainstream viewers watched it.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Maxwell Lord posted:

The details are kinda vague but I hope they got at least some of what they were angling for.

They're not that vague: http://variety.com/2017/film/news/writers-guild-strike-averted-1202406222/

Josh Lyman posted:

It's 100% true for Lost, but Hannibal didn't gently caress up anyone because nobody watched it; certainly no mainstream viewers watched it.

I think it's more accurate to say "A lot of people hosed up Lost for themselves." But I suppose that's not as quip-y...

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I can't believe it took until 2017 for writers to get parental leave rights.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Timby posted:

I can't believe it took until 2017 for writers to get parental leave rights.

You must not be American.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

I understand that American Gods has already been renewed for another season, which seems confident of them.

Is Gaiman still writing a sequel? I've heard he's been plugging away at American Gods 2 for years, though he's not GRRM level or anything.

He's stated that everything on American Gods 2 is like outlines and things in his head. He's got a couple of other books (like a sequel to Neverwhere) planned first. In the same interview he said he did make sure that the TV show will jibe with the stuff he's planning for the second book.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Neil gambling on some of them GRRM dice rolls.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Well, unlike Martin, Gaiman pretty consistently publishes stuff. He tends to put something out at least every other year.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

muscles like this! posted:

Well, unlike Martin, Gaiman pretty consistently publishes stuff. He tends to put something out at least every other year.

Half a book in the last 12 years.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Even if you don't count books that he collaborated with other writers on, he put out a novels in 2008 and 2013

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I think he's written a handful of scripts, too.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I was talking about Gurm. He put out a book in 2006 then half a book in 2011.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

IRQ posted:

half a book in 2011.

IT'S NOT A REAL BOOK UNLESS IT'S AT LEAST 2000 PAGES!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

muscles like this! posted:

I'm Gaiman fan #1 me love long time, just teasing.

In fact he's writing the comic adaptation of American Gods right now which is loving bizarre because it's an adaptation of an adaptation of his own work.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

BSam posted:

That criticism of it has nothing to do with length.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

IRQ posted:

I get that all the time.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

IRQ posted:

Not to mention his other works published in that time, a number of novellas and some other bits and pieces.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Can't say I was super thrilled by American God's but I'll definitely watch at least this season.

Also watched the first episode of Handmaids Tale, it was really cool but I didn't get the "oh poo poo" reaction that the rest of thread seemed to get.

I enjoyed the first episode of Dear White People as well. Good to see the positive reaction to the show in this thread, hopefully it echos the wider internet (yeah right...). I'm sick of having my enjoyment of this type of show ruined by racist idiots.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

BSam posted:

A Dance with Dragons was literally half of the story he wanted to do but spread across 900-something pages. It was easily one of my hardest reads due to sheer boredom because, again, it was over 900 pages and poo poo-all happens until the very, very end of the book.

I'm glad the television show is going to finish the story before GRRM.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Vanderdeath posted:

A Dance with Dragons was literally half of the story he wanted to do but spread across 900-something pages. It was easily one of my hardest reads due to sheer boredom because, again, it was over 900 pages and poo poo-all happens until the very, very end of the book.

I'm glad the television show is going to finish the story before GRRM.

I feel like the show is the exact opposite where it crams 200 pages of story into one episode and so the entire last season was just full-on "wrap that poo poo up dog" mode, with no build-up leading to extremely anticlimactic endings to storylines that had been built up for 5+ years. I don't think either choice is very good in this case.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 09:31 on May 3, 2017

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think there are still 20 more episodes to go so they haven't wrapped anything up

e: actually they said season 7 and 8 is a combined 13 episodes. That sorta sucks.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I finally watched the most recent ep of Silicon Valley.

I'm not super thrilled with the direction of the plot, but I will never get tired of Gavin Belson getting hosed with

Snak fucked around with this message at 16:36 on May 3, 2017

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

I think there are still 20 more episodes to go so they haven't wrapped anything up

Talking mostly about Walder Frey here. What was supposed to be one of the most cathartic moments in the whole series just turned into a really awkward 2 minute scene that was never built up to or spoken about afterwards.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
That would be true if that was Walder's only scene all season and they didn't have several scenes readdressing the Red Wedding

Lycus fucked around with this message at 18:32 on May 3, 2017

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Lycus posted:

That would be true if that was Walder's only scene all season and they didn't have several scenes readdressing the Red Wedding

ok they were just poo poo then

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Snak posted:

I found the beginning bit a bit of a turnoff, because it felt like it was portraying Norse religion in a really superficial pop culture bullet points kind of way, but I also understand why they did it that way in the larger context of what they are trying to accomplish.
It's true to the book.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I figured it was. Doesn't really change how I feel about it, though.

Like I said, it makes sense why it's that way, and I do feel like it being framed as a story being told takes the edge off it. Like it shifts the bias from "the show is stylizing what happened" to "the narrator is stylizing what happened".

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Snak posted:

I figured it was. Doesn't really change how I feel about it, though.
I'm not saying it as a defense.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Man the most recent episode of Outcast was good, for the first time this season.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

So the new Hulu seems to really like to skip you around an episode between commercial breaks. That's fun.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Does anyone have links to the threads for the first couple of seasons of Hannibal? I can find the third one, but that's wildly unhelpful as I'm just finishing up season two. I know I kept up with the first season week to week to begin with but I fell off toward the end, and I want to see other people's reactions. The AV Club comments sections for each review are just a sad shadow of pure TVIV live posting "goodness".

edit: i have not been paying near as much attention to TV ratings as I used to but I took a second to look at a site and holy poo poo Crazy Ex-Girlfriend got a third season despite about 8 people watching it each night that's hilarious

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 09:51 on May 4, 2017

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Tami Britton has a baby and Julie Teegarden has kissed some random dude and I am not enjoying the second season of Friday Night Lights.

Also: there's no football.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Aw man i think sense8 is back like tomorrow or whatev but my thread got archived :(

if someone makes a new thread then please include this gif cause i spent a lot of time on it

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

MoaM posted:

Tami Britton has a baby and Julie Teegarden has kissed some random dude and I am not enjoying the second season of Friday Night Lights.

Second season starts to sort its poo poo out near the end, third season brings the show roaring back to life. It's probably going to get worse before it gets better, though.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Oh yeah the mexican nurse

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

no build-up leading to extremely anticlimactic endings to storylines that had been built up for 5+ years.

So there was no build up to storylines that had been built up?

Hakkesshu posted:

Talking mostly about Walder Frey here. What was supposed to be one of the most cathartic moments in the whole series just turned into a really awkward 2 minute scene that was never built up to or spoken about afterwards.

I'm not sure where you're getting that this was supposed to be one of the most cathartic moments in the whole series. Not from the books, since it hasn't happened there. Not from the series, since it is not a cathartic series.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 14:17 on May 4, 2017

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Pedro De Heredia posted:

So there was no build up to storylines that had been built up?

I'm not sure where you're getting that this was supposed to be one of the most cathartic moments in the whole series. Not from the books, since it hasn't happened there. Not from the series, since it is not a cathartic series.

I found it pretty cathartic, but then I also thought it was extremely well-done

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013

DivisionPost posted:

Second season starts to sort its poo poo out near the end, third season brings the show roaring back to life. It's probably going to get worse before it gets better, though.

MoaM posted:

Yeah there are a lot of very weak points in season 2 (also it ends very abruptly with no conclusion due to writers strike) but power through because the remaining seasons return to being great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Pedro De Heredia posted:

I think that scene very much went for a "gently caress yeah" moment and it fell completely loving flat on its rear end and I hated it, but I also hated most of that last season so maybe it's just not for me. GRRM obviously is incapable of writing a new book, but in the past from my perspective he can pull off way more dramatic gravitas than the showrunners can.

• Locked thread