Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Also in hindsight TNA looks even more dumb for doing absolutely nothing with Okada when he was there. It's got to be the biggest waste TNA has ever done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
E:NVM, I'm a moron.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Also in hindsight TNA looks even more dumb for doing absolutely nothing with Okada when he was there. It's got to be the biggest waste TNA has ever done

:rolleyes:

So Dave thinks it's possible that Makabe or Kojima will challenge Kenny in Long Beach. If that's the case, they are completely clueless and have no chance in succeeding here.

Kaveman
Jul 25, 2009

NEVER!!!

Jubs posted:

So Dave thinks it's possible that Makabe or Kojima will challenge Kenny in Long Beach. If that's the case, they are completely clueless and have no chance in succeeding here.

I mean NJPW just put on a Okada/Fale match that was great so im sure they could pull off Omega/Makabe or Kojima and leave people satisfied.

Omega/Tanahashi ladder match is what they should go for.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Please no ladder matches unless you're talking about a clusterfuck curtain jerker with he Bucks for the jr tag titles

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Makabe would be a garbage matchup with no build. Kohima would be a great matchup with no build. Neither is the right call for Long Beach. Assuming Kenny is champ, I don't know how they could pass up a Juice title match. I mean, the guy did just lose a closely contested title match at the next belt down in the hierarchy.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

makabe would be good bullet club gently caress ooff

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

I hope they realize Makabe has no name value outside Japan. The Kojima match would get over though.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Jubs posted:

lol

Like I get that if Kenny goes in as champ he has to retain there, but maybe make it slightly not so obvious

Also I'm finally giving up hope of ever seeing Suzuki/Kenny for a world title :negative:

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I think New Japan should put on good wrestling matches and that New Japan fans in the US who bought tickets purely on the chance to see New Japan wrestlers having good wrestling matches will like seeing good wrestling matches, especially if their favorite wrestler wins in the main event.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

rare Magic card l00k posted:

I think New Japan should put on good wrestling matches and that New Japan fans in the US who bought tickets purely on the chance to see New Japan wrestlers having good wrestling matches will like seeing good wrestling matches, especially if their favorite wrestler wins in the main event.

What the

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Heartening to see the "brand over booking" mentality has legs outside WWE

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
idk if not giving away too much in a building that you know will sell out regardless is "brand over booking". maybe on the part of the fans that bought tickets already.

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 20:26 on May 4, 2017

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Omega-Suzuki would be awesome for Long Beach. Omega-Goto as a G1 finals rematch would be good

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Spermgod posted:

idk if not giving away too much in a building that you know will sell out regardless is "brand over booking". maybe on the part of the fans that bought tickets already.
That serves the point? When you can be said to "give away too much" and still sell tickets, your brand cache is doing the work your booking ought to. The cache being spent was earned with solid booking elsewhere, but when you stage a nothing PPV in a foreign country, good workrate or no, it speaks to an ambivalence about building a regional presence there (if it were WWE people would probably say it spoke to a contempt for the regional fans, as well).

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Like the show is undoubtedly going to be a moderate success at the least, but NJPW isn't backing up their saber-rattling re: taking on WWE in even a cursory way. We all knew (hoped?) they weren't serious, but it sucks for folks who were hoping for a certain caliber of match to take place on US soil at some point in the future.

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

Boredom is always counter-revolutionary. Always.

Thauros posted:

That's the ideal card imo. Put Tana alongside one of the face gaijin in the tag title match.

My pick would be Tana against Suzuki, possibly for the NEVER belt. It lets him get a significant Dome win and stay a threat after putting younger guys over the last two years.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
I hope Kenny curtain-jerks in a ten-man young boy match and never gets in :twisted:

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

C. Everett Koop posted:

I hope Kenny curtain-jerks in a ten-man young boy match and never gets in :twisted:

Mods?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

The devil face smiley indicates he's being contrarian or jokingly trolling. I don't think you need to involve the mods over a harmless little quip. Thanks.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..

Basic Chunnel posted:

Like the show is undoubtedly going to be a moderate success at the least, but NJPW isn't backing up their saber-rattling re: taking on WWE in even a cursory way. We all knew (hoped?) they weren't serious, but it sucks for folks who were hoping for a certain caliber of match to take place on US soil at some point in the future.

I mean it's a preliminary testing of the waters. the very fact that the main title will be defended at all speaks to a degree of seriousness about the whole thing imo.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
We'll get to witness the Young Bucks win the Jr. Tag Titles and the NEVER Trio Titles change hands for the millionth time!

I'm pretty sure one of the main events will be ELITE vs. CHAOS or LIJ.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jubs posted:

We'll get to witness the Young Bucks win the Jr. Tag Titles and the NEVER Trio Titles change hands for the millionth time!

That'd be cool.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Also changing booking plans to hot shot or compete really hasn't worked out for anybody else trying to compete against the WWE. If anything it's New Japan's benefit to stay close to it's usual way of doing things cause it's very much different from the WWE/ROH.

They probably should get at least a better opponent for Kenny though, either Elgin (rematch of Ladder), Goto (G1 Remtachg) or even Ibushi (Start a hot angle in the states). I doubt it'll be Tanahashi though since I see him winning the IC belt before Long Beach so they can prep Naito for a G1 run and Tanahashi is one of the select few I'd have beat Naito right now.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

Jubs posted:

if the thing the guy said about all the belts being defended is true its gonna be an IC title match on one day and a Heavyweight title match on the other

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Finally it's time for Yoshi Tatsu's big return to the US! :haw:

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Spermgod posted:

if the thing the guy said about all the belts being defended is true its gonna be an IC title match on one day and a Heavyweight title match on the other

Cody vs. Naito it is then.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

My hands are shaking with too much rage to even be able to hit the probate button :stare:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Dave says ZSJ will be in the G1

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Jubs posted:

Would dig Kojima as a chance to see a legend go for a belt live. Would not dig Makabe. There are several better options than both though so I'm hoping this is just speculation right now.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Another bit from the Observer is that with Shibata out New Japan is looking at making a new star. Wonder if that means they'll also up the money they'd offer Kenny or even offer him a long program with Kota.
Gotta think also this means New Japan may make a bigger effort to sign Kota long term

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Another bit from the Observer is that with Shibata out New Japan is looking at making a new star. Wonder if that means they'll also up the money they'd offer Kenny or even offer him a long program with Kota.
Gotta think also this means New Japan may make a bigger effort to sign Kota long term

Kota Ibushi, perhaps Marufuji if NOAH keeps on as a small-time gig, or even luring Itami/KENTA back for a Japanese reunion tour after the difficulty of his WWE stint. But even Ibushi is 34 years old, and has 13 years of wear on him. Okada is all of 29.

One to watch? Hiromu Takahashi. "Oh but he's a junior" his billed height and weight is almost identical to Shibata (Takahashi 185 cm/92 kg, Shibata 183 cm/95 kg). And he's 27 and getting over.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

harperdc posted:

Kota Ibushi, perhaps Marufuji if NOAH keeps on as a small-time gig, or even luring Itami/KENTA back for a Japanese reunion tour after the difficulty of his WWE stint. But even Ibushi is 34 years old, and has 13 years of wear on him. Okada is all of 29.

One to watch? Hiromu Takahashi. "Oh but he's a junior" his billed height and weight is almost identical to Shibata (Takahashi 185 cm/92 kg, Shibata 183 cm/95 kg). And he's 27 and getting over.

Also with Kenny getting over and ZSJ wrestling as a Heavyweight I think New Japan is more open to pushing a smaller guy as a main guy compared to Liger's time. Though Hiromu would probably have to tone his style down a bit

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

let the juniors be juniors!!!!!

cold skull time

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

harperdc posted:

hiromu is like 5'7.

however speaking of juniors moving up there is always KUSHIDA. I think it was last year or maybe the year before where he was talking about participating in the g1. they should let him this year.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

With the reactions that the Young Lions are getting, it wouldn't surprise me if they started pushing Kitamura quicker than was planned.

My favourite is still Kawato , though!

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Super No Vacancy posted:

let the juniors be juniors!!!!!

cold skull time

Sanada is all the star they need if they'd commit to a huge push.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Super No Vacancy posted:

cold skull time

It seems like this is right but i don't have a confident belief in my feelings. but i can believe in your Feelings. Every one believe in sanada

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

tbh if Tanahashi wins at Dominion I kinda want them to do Omega/Naito in Long Beach, but w/e

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Shibata had another surgery May 2. Shibata before:

translated from his blog posted:

It is a miracle to live now. I had my skull removed in my last surgery. I have another surgery at 2017.5.2, and I will return. Everyday, using pain stopper 3 to 4 times, I endure the pain. I can hardly see the right eye right now. Currently, the hearing ability of the right ear is not normal and the sound is broken and heard.

• Locked thread