Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

zirconmusic posted:

Well I got rejected from a publisher who has put out a roguelike AND roguelite recently, and another one I pitched to over a month ago hasn't written me for a month (despite a few followups) so I guess Tangledeep is flyin solo. Ship or die!!! On the advice of @unormal tho I will probably be paying for proper press/marketing assistance when the game gets close to launch. Until then time to keep polishing. Also the newest job I'm working on is basically just Phantasy Star, guys.

This is fabulous. Phantasy Star 4 is probably one of my favorite RPGs of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

zirconmusic posted:

He's an A+ guy and will get the specialest of thanks in my game.

So what you're saying is, That One Monster that everyone hates will be named madjack?

Hm...I wonder if you could make a roguelike entirely out of references to other roguelikes?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

hito posted:

I have a theory that the roguelike community is so cool because roguelikes are designed to be challenging and engaging even with full spoilers. For a lot of games, it's mostly about information flow from those who know the game secrets to those who don't. But in roguelikes you can know a ton of mechanical minutia to share with other players while still wanting to engage with the thread to get good strategy tips.

Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup and Sine Mora are both good games that I have beaten, but I've been in the Crawl thread for five years and haven't even looked for a Sine Mora one, because what would I even do there?

This is one part of it. I imagine a lot of people in this thread don't play much in the way of competitive multiplayer games, because those games also tend very strongly towards a culture of information sharing and the idea of "spoilers' would be laughed out of the room if someone even thought to raise it.

Roguelikes are in the nearly-unique position of being an exclusively singleplayer genre that appreciates and rewards system mastery. (Not completely unique, of course; scrolling shoot-em-ups are very similar although I'm not as plugged into that culture.) So you get the information sharing aspect without the competitive personality types that go with, well, competitive gaming. They're also very niche, very mechanics-oriented, and not afraid of alienating the easily frustrated, so they mostly drive off the horde of children and idiots who cluster around more popular genres.

Kyzrati
Jun 27, 2015

MAIN.C

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Hm...I wonder if you could make a roguelike entirely out of references to other roguelikes?
Exactly this was one of my top two 7DRL ideas I had planned out for this year, but to do it justice (the way I wanted, anyway) would require deep knowledge of a wide variety of roguelikes.

I was thinking it'd be best to crowdsource the content, the perfect place to do that being here :)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
So what's the most iconic monster from every roguelike? Off the top of my head, probably something like:

NetHack: soldier ant
Angband: zephyr hound or Kavlax the Many-Headed
Sproggiwood: twinning lamprey
Caves of Qud: dawnglider
Dungeonmans: I dunno, the bandit illusionmansers?
ToME: probably some kind of oozemancer-enhanced unique
Spelunky: yeti or shopkeeper
FTL: O2-disabling slugmen
Rogue Legacy: slime that spits out earth sorcerers

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Bill the Troll for ToME. Or Skeleton Warriors if you're disallowing uniques.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
The Chrome Pyramid and Leering Stalker are also great candidates for Qud.

For Dungeonmans I'd suggest the Triger. It's an amazingly distinctive design :v:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Also yeah Chrome Pyramid is 100% the correct choice for Qud.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Dungeon crawl's is probably Sigmund, unless uniques don't count, in which case it's probably orbs of fire or something

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Hard to pick one for IVAN. Suicide dwarves? Carnivorous plant boss? The sumo guy?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

NetHack: soldier ant
Go, team ant! :toot: (Alternative answer: Keystone Kops, but that's a reference, so it probably doesn't count.

Angry Diplomat posted:

For Dungeonmans I'd suggest the Triger. It's an amazingly distinctive design :v:
Absolutely.

someone awful. posted:

Dungeon crawl's is probably Sigmund, unless uniques don't count, in which case it's probably orbs of fire or something
Death yak.

Spelunky: yeti or shopkeeper
FTL: O2-disabling slugmen ASB Target Locked

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 4, 2017

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Elona's can be Gold Bells with machine guns, unless pets count.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
quds is the slumberling

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

other options for nethack: floating eye, cockatrice, eel

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Diggles from Dredmor are pretty good, too.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Nethack: ;

FTL: Those gosh frigging darnit rock men who invade you in a Sun system event without an enemy ship, I mean what in the even :mad:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

someone awful. posted:

Pfft, orbs are dangerous enemies but we're talking about what does someone in repeatedly. Gnolls are that enemy because they tend to spawn with unexpected spears (that can reach an extra tile). And if that's too common then there's the orc priest with indirect targeting and irresistible damage via smite.

Sigmund's place is being contested with Grinder these days, too!

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
gnolls are a p common roguelike enemy though arent they? and snapjaws are the same thing but w a qud name

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Sage Grimm posted:

Pfft, orbs are dangerous enemies but we're talking about what does someone in repeatedly. Gnolls are that enemy because they tend to spawn with unexpected spears (that can reach an extra tile). And if that's too common then there's the orc priest with indirect targeting with irresistible damage via smite.
Neither of those are really distinctive, though. "I got killed by a GNOLL" is pretty common. "I got killed by a death yak"? That's got some character. Bonus points for being one of the hardest monsters in Lair, and traveling in packs.

e:f;b

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

Death Yaks or Hydras for DCSS.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Sage Grimm posted:

Pfft, orbs are dangerous enemies but we're talking about what does someone in repeatedly. Gnolls are that enemy because they tend to spawn with unexpected spears (that can reach an extra tile). And if that's too common then there's the orc priest with indirect targeting and irresistible damage via smite.

Tons of roguelikes have gnolls though, they don't really stand out as a Crawl threat specifically. Death yaks do have that DCSS flair...

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Crawl's new logo should be a death yak with a triple sword.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

I was going to debate by saying Nethack's ants are similar but a second glance made me realize it was Soldier Ants and thus not really generic. Oh well, Death Yak/Hydra it is!

Too Shy Guy posted:

Hard to pick one for IVAN. Suicide dwarves? Carnivorous plant boss? The sumo guy?

The dwarves or the mistresses. Both are surprises in their own ways; the former more fun and explosive.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Ants stick out to me for nethack just because I hung out on irc too long and "go team a" will forever be engraved upon my subconscious when I encounter them in a game

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

someone awful. posted:

Ants stick out to me for nethack just because I hung out on irc too long and "go team a" will forever be engraved upon my subconscious when I encounter them in a game
Don't forget playing a Knight and scumming for Excalibur, personally increasing the lethality ranking of water nymphs by a couple percentage points.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Sage Grimm posted:

Orc priests. Fuuuuuck those guys

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Hydras are a really good contender for Crawl, and if you want to make sure it's something really memorable and unique to the game, just go with the Hydraest Hydra of all: the Lernaean Hydra :v:

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
For ADOM I'm torn between two of the more famous buggy monsters from pre-revival, jackals or balors. For those who never got into the game, in any given playthrough enemies would "level" as you killed more enemies of that type. Some enemies took fewer kills to level than they should have, particularly ones that could be summoned by other monsters. Werejackals were quite common and summoned dozens of jackals apiece, and an unlucky player would see jackals become miniature gods. Balors were more of a late game threat, but because of a quirk in the equipment system for monsters they spawned wearing armor that massively lowered speed (which they were supposed to) but were capable of equipping another set of armor over the top of it. IF you encountered two balors at once, when you killed the first odds were good the other would equip the dropped armor, overflow his speed from negative to positive, take 60ish turns, and murder you.

By sheer killing players count the jackals win, balors come around much too late in the game, but there's something special about the balors.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

those are molochs not balors noob!!!!!!!!!!!

also i asked the adom discord hivemind and they suggested dorn beasts or the ACW based on its 1.1.1 brick wall legacy even though he's a chump now.

e: important to note that this immediately just turned into nitpicking grammar of the dorn beast wiki entry. adom ftw.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

but personally my vote for adom is the concept of inventory destruction

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
Damnit, who's is why I shouldn't post until I've been awake for at least a couple hours.

And if we're going abstract, I would par it down from the concept of inventory destruction to specifically the tower of eternal flames, where the concept gets turned up to 11.

Or possibly the dwarven halls. I've lost many a promising character there because gently caress the Animated Forest.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

y'know what there you go. adom's monster is the animated tree because jesus christ biskup what were you thinking

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

No way, nethack's absolutely has to be to be the cockatrice.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

In terms of uniqueness and how there are many edge cases on how it can stone you, the cockatrice is pretty Nethack in a nutshell.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hydras belong to that one roguelike where you exclusively fight hydras

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ADOM -> Cat Lord

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I hope all you roguelike devs are taking note of this conversation, by the way. I expect to see great things in your next releases. :unsmigghh:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Sage Grimm posted:

In terms of uniqueness and how there are many edge cases on how it can stone you, the cockatrice is pretty Nethack in a nutshell.
My favorite is falling down the stairs with one wielded, but "check items​ on the ground while blind without wearing gloves" is drat close for sheer "you're not wrong, you're just an rear end in a top hat" dickishness.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Too Shy Guy posted:

Absolutely kamikaze dwarves.

Mithross posted:

For ADOM I'm torn between two of the more famous buggy monsters from pre-revival, jackals or balors. For those who never got into the game, in any given playthrough enemies would "level" as you killed more enemies of that type. Some enemies took fewer kills to level than they should have, particularly ones that could be summoned by other monsters. Werejackals were quite common and summoned dozens of jackals apiece, and an unlucky player would see jackals become miniature gods. Balors were more of a late game threat, but because of a quirk in the equipment system for monsters they spawned wearing armor that massively lowered speed (which they were supposed to) but were capable of equipping another set of armor over the top of it. IF you encountered two balors at once, when you killed the first odds were good the other would equip the dropped armor, overflow his speed from negative to positive, take 60ish turns, and murder you.

By sheer killing players count the jackals win, balors come around much too late in the game, but there's something special about the balors.
It's not just that werejackals had posses of normal jackals.

They could summon more, IIRC without limit. so if you ran into some traveling on the overworld you'd need to kill truckloads of them to even escape, let alone win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Tollymain posted:

hydras belong to that one roguelike where you exclusively fight hydras

I distinctly remember fighting mushrooms and two-headed giants as well in Hydra Slayer.