Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Seems like the updated Android app has a memory leak as well.

I tried Draft again and a long game started bogging down badly, to the point where I conceded out of what was probably a hopeless late-game situation but normally I'd have stuck it out a little longer. I started my next game, and it lagged so badly that I was given a timeout loss before I could even play a single card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Ironthorn's ultimate voice is far too loud

All in all, the voices are decent. Not anywhere near the quality of HS unfortunately, but they're still a nice touch.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
I was hoping they'd hire the guys who did Dynasty Warriors 3's English voices.

YOUUUUUUUU FLAMING IIIIIIIIIIIDIOTSSSSSSSSSSS

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The thing I love most about the voices is them having a separate volume slider from everything else, so I can turn them off.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Jabor posted:

The thing I love most about the voices is them having a separate volume slider from everything else, so I can turn them off.

That's why it's there, yes. :thumbsup:

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent
I managed to go 7-2 (won my first game, then dropped the next two, then ripped six in a row) with this pile.

EDIT: Got another 7-2 with the second pile that felt worse.

Stonescar Value posted:

1 Combust (Set1 #392)
1 Grenadin Drone (Set1 #5)
1 Heavy Axe (Set1 #4)
2 Torch (Set1 #8)
1 Argenport Instigator (Set1 #268)
1 Devour (Set1 #261)
1 Obsidian Golem (Set1 #398)
1 Rampage (Set1 #17)
1 Scavenging Vulture (Set1 #265)
1 Treachery (Set1 #394)
2 Amethyst Acolyte (Set1 #276)
1 Desperado (Set1 #273)
1 Granite Acolyte (Set1 #31)
1 Scheme (Set1 #213)
3 Xenan Destroyer (Set1 #281)
1 Guerrilla Fighter (Set1 #36)
1 Magma Javelin (Set1 #41)
1 Steward of the Past (Set1 #287)
1 Subvert (Set1 #289)
2 Dusthoof Brawler (Set1 #49)
1 Smuggler's Stash (Set1 #396)
1 Stonescar Maul (Set1 #52)
1 Steelbound Dragon (Set1 #60)
8 Fire Sigil (Set1 #1)
8 Shadow Sigil (Set1 #249)
1 Amethyst Monument (Set1 #426)

More Stonescar posted:

1 Flame Blast (Set1 #2)
1 Combust (Set1 #392)
2 Dark Return (Set1 #250)
1 Grenadin Drone (Set1 #5)
2 Rapid Shot (Set1 #259)
1 Temper (Set1 #10)
1 Dark Wisp (Set1 #264)
1 Obsidian Golem (Set1 #398)
1 Rampage (Set1 #17)
2 Amethyst Acolyte (Set1 #276)
1 Assembly Line (Set1 #29)
1 Beastcaller's Amulet (Set1 #282)
1 Blackguard Sidearm (Set1 #266)
1 Execute (Set1 #277)
1 Plague (Set1 #274)
1 Xenan Cultist (Set1 #516)
1 Xenan Destroyer (Set1 #281)
1 Deathstrike (Set1 #290)
2 Furnace Mage (Set1 #40)
1 Morningstar (Set1 #510)
1 Recogulator (Set1 #37)
1 Obliterate (Set1 #48)
1 Warband Chieftain (Set1 #395)
1 Stonescar Maul (Set1 #52)
9 Fire Sigil (Set1 #1)
8 Shadow Sigil (Set1 #249)

standard.deviant fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Apr 25, 2017

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Whenever I get a draft pool and think "This is going to be amazing" I always go 0-3. Most recent notable one was where a guy swung at me with an unblockable cabal recruiter and got my Icaria the turn before I would have drawn and played her.

netcat posted:

if someone tries to friend you after a game you can be sure that they have a good ol meltdown to get of their chest

People only message me after good games to talk about deck design :)

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Every time I play a cool deck or have a real close game I message the last guy to say cool game, or please give me the decklist to your hilarious pile of jank. Its how I end up playing 3 color vault of the praxis or 4 color idiot copper conduit recursion.

Ledgem
Oct 20, 2010
Someone explain to me what the hell allows you to have skill in drafting this game. I ragequitted before because of how many drafts just went 0-3 wins in a row and it's happening again with the past 5 ive done.

I'm not new to drafting or card games; I've been doing this since I was child. I generally top place in mtg drafts whenever I do play and I've gotten top 8 in a few bigger ones in the past. I understand drafting mechanics and signalling.

Except in eternal it never feels like there is any signaling whatsoever. I never see cards cycle back. I don't understand what the hell their algorithm is but it sure feels random as all hell as to what I get with no logic or signals to be read at all.

And then there's the fact that drat near every win or loss on either side seems to be determined by who gets screwed or flooded faster FAR more than in MTG on top of there not being any best of three matches to offset that rng. So overall my experience is that the entire event is pure luck and I'm so upset at this stupid game I'm honestly believing the only thing letting people get masters is draft is sheer number of games and not skill at all because I haven't the slightest what they're doing differently to actually win consistently.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Drafting is asynchronous, so packs never "loop around" the table back to you. That being said, your packs 1 and 3 come from packs 1 and 3 in some other person's draft - so there are definitely signals there to read. Packs 2 and 4 also come from someone else's pack 2 and 4, but it's one where the player saw a similar colour distribution in pack 1 to whatever you passed.

I dunno what to say strategy-wise. I've got an overall winning record in draft, and it doesn't seem like my opponents have been flooded or screwed, just 2-for-1d or out-tempoed or didn't have an answer to a particular hard-to-deal-with threat.

If you want real advice, perhaps posting one of your draft decks or even recording the draft will let people tell you exactly how you totally made a mess of things out whatever.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Seeing the end result of the draft deck will tell us nothing because we'd have to see all the decisions you made up to that point.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Ledgem posted:

Someone explain to me what the hell allows you to have skill in drafting this game. I ragequitted before because of how many drafts just went 0-3 wins in a row and it's happening again with the past 5 ive done.

I'm not new to drafting or card games; I've been doing this since I was child. I generally top place in mtg drafts whenever I do play and I've gotten top 8 in a few bigger ones in the past. I understand drafting mechanics and signalling.

Except in eternal it never feels like there is any signaling whatsoever. I never see cards cycle back. I don't understand what the hell their algorithm is but it sure feels random as all hell as to what I get with no logic or signals to be read at all.

And then there's the fact that drat near every win or loss on either side seems to be determined by who gets screwed or flooded faster FAR more than in MTG on top of there not being any best of three matches to offset that rng. So overall my experience is that the entire event is pure luck and I'm so upset at this stupid game I'm honestly believing the only thing letting people get masters is draft is sheer number of games and not skill at all because I haven't the slightest what they're doing differently to actually win consistently.

Packs do not wheel. Supposedly, there is signaling, albeit in an artificial way meant to simulate what happens in an MTG draft. We don't know exactly what this means, but my guess is that it's entirely # of cards in each color. IE if you grab every purple card you see in Pack 1, the Pack 2s you get passed will come from people who received purple-deficient packs.

Sharing your background and frustrations, my advice is to basically pick one of the supported color pairs and force immediately. Every time I've tried to do >2 colors, even just splashing for a bomb, I've regretted it.

Avasculous fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Apr 26, 2017

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
It's a common mistake to pick your two colors early and stick to it no matter what. You have to recognize when the game just doesn't want you into a certain color and switch it up. In my first two packs I have a loose idea of what two colors I want but I'll gladly pick a strong card in a 3rd color if the picks for my two "chosen" colors are mediocre.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

bamhand posted:

It's a common mistake to pick your two colors early and stick to it no matter what. You have to recognize when the game just doesn't want you into a certain color and switch it up. In my first two packs I have a loose idea of what two colors I want but I'll gladly pick a strong card in a 3rd color if the picks for my two "chosen" colors are mediocre.

These are the instincts that I came in with from other games (where they certainly apply) and revised.

What I was getting at before is that a key difference between Eternal and MTG drafting is that (I think) reading signals is basically valueless and sending signals is absolutely paramount, because you're dealing with an algorithm drawing from a vast and changing pool (ostensibly to fit the signals you're sending) instead of a table of 7 dense, stubborn opponents.

If you grab a bunch of red/green cards in pack 1, and the first half of pack 2 seems light on red/green, that's not a signal like it would be in Magic- it's just noise. If you jump colors in response, you're probably shooting yourself in the foot in a big way by diluting the signals you're sending the algorithm.

Now is it worth jumping colors or splashing late for a strong card? My experience has been no, not at all, even for bombs like Obelisk and Crystallize, but others might disagree.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I'm not jumping colors, I'm keeping my options open. Usually I'll have one strong color, say black because I got two annihilates and then I draft decent blue or red cards. By pack 3 or 4 I finally decide if I want to play play Stonescar of Feln and go all in on the color that ended up strongest. If I decide on Feln right away and end up with a bunch of crap blue cards by the end of my 3rd pack I'm screwed because I don't have a back up plan.

Also apparently next set is coming mid June? Has this been mentioned yet?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Crystallize requires PP so it's beyond the realm of a "splash"

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Had an interesting bug yesterday - an opponent played a Bandit Queen and it just stayed there in the large "look what I'm playing!" position without ever going onto the battlefield.

Jabor posted:

I've got an overall winning record in draft, and it doesn't seem like my opponents have been flooded or screwed, just 2-for-1d or out-tempoed or didn't have an answer to a particular hard-to-deal-with threat.

You never play me then, three of my last four drafts have gone 0-3 because I've either been mana screwed or mana flooded (including with what was probably the best deck I've drafted in Eternal).

In general about half my constructed games (I've been tracking) involve significant mana screw or mana flood.

The probabilities are sufficiently high that this is going to happen to a fair subset of people (chance of drawing 0 lands after 6 turns in a draft is about 3%, for example, or there's a 10% chance, give or take, of drawing 6 or more lands in your first 10 turns) it's just very frustrating when it occurs in draft, because I don't have the cash to splash out on millions of gems and then the games take less time, combined, than the picking.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I think we just have a different definition of screw/flood.

Sure, seeing 9 power and 8 spells is a bit power-heavy, but it's not "flooding out". I've won plenty of games where I draw that ratio of power to spells! Knowing how to play in those situations is also helpful - for example if you're screwed you want to aggressively trade to protect your life total and get enough time to draw into your power, at which point you'll likely still have more real cards than your opponent. While if you're flooding you want to avoid trading and instead threaten to block favorably, because trading off one-to-one leaves your opponent at an advantage.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Jabor posted:

I think we just have a different definition of screw/flood.

Sure, seeing 9 power and 8 spells is a bit power-heavy, but it's not "flooding out". I've won plenty of games where I draw that ratio of power to spells! Knowing how to play in those situations is also helpful - for example if you're screwed you want to aggressively trade to protect your life total and get enough time to draw into your power, at which point you'll likely still have more real cards than your opponent. While if you're flooding you want to avoid trading and instead threaten to block favorably, because trading off one-to-one leaves your opponent at an advantage.

I know you're trying to be helpful but I do know all this - I've played CCGs of various sorts for 20 years now, but all the experience in the world doesn't help if you draw green spells and red lands or vice versa (which accounted for two of the losses with That Best Deck I mentioned).

I think one of the issues is that because you're drafting from 4 packs with no wheeling (albeit 12 card rather than 14 card) draft decks tend to end up a lot better than they do in MtG (fewer completely junk unplayable cards, too, in my opinion) which means that your opponent's deck is much more likely to be able to punish you if you miss a few turns of drops.

Fwiw, I don't really have a formal definition of screw/flood (it is, after all, a bit situational) and it comes down to if I'm sitting here going "draw a land, draw a land, draw a land" for most of the game, or "anything but a land" similarly.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

(Although it has to be said that I've been playing pretty much exclusively janky homebrews in constructed this season, which are obviously less consistent than the top tier decks)

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I wish I was quick enough to do a print screen, but in my last ranked game my opponent conceded when I played Witching Hour twice on the same turn.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I wish I was quick enough to do a print screen, but in my last ranked game my opponent conceded when I played Witching Hour twice on the same turn.

:laffo: Two copies or the same copy cast with West-Wind Herald?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

TVsVeryOwn posted:

:laffo: Two copies or the same copy cast with West-Wind Herald?

The West-Wind Heralded the 2nd end of the world :v:

dead in real life
Jun 17, 2012

Tin Tim posted:

No Wave mentioned it at some point but I'm also not cool with units on the board healing every turn. It cuts out a huge portion of board play/strategy and leads to situations where you'll just stare at each other until one player rips a card that lets them act and whoa cool now you've lost. This is also why flying is so god drat busted because you can just chip people to death in such a case while they pray for a draw.

This is from a while back, but I've been catching up on the thread and, goddamn, this echoes my sentiments completely. Part of me believes this could've been a massively more interesting game if damage stuck to units. It's hard to think of what every little ramification of that change would be off the top of my head, but the idea is so compelling to me. As the game is, I've just really lost interest.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Got masters finally, took 280 games, starting from Silver 3 I think (wherever being Diamond 3 last season puts you). Went 146-134 which is worse than I thought it would be but I got helped from the 0/100 buffer a few times because there were several times I lost essentially no ranks even losing 4 in a row or so. My most played deck was Elysian Midrange with a 67% winrate (49-24) and a lot of that was at the higher ranks when I was more serious about laddering.

Bring on the free legendary :woop:

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

No Safe Word posted:

Got masters finally, took 280 games, starting from Silver 3 I think (wherever being Diamond 3 last season puts you). Went 146-134 which is worse than I thought it would be but I got helped from the 0/100 buffer a few times because there were several times I lost essentially no ranks even losing 4 in a row or so. My most played deck was Elysian Midrange with a 67% winrate (49-24) and a lot of that was at the higher ranks when I was more serious about laddering.

Bring on the free legendary :woop:
Nice! I just did the same thing. I'd muddled around quite a bit in Diamond this month and finally ground out the last rank on an 8-0 streak through Diamond I (on Big Combrei).

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

7-2 with this tri-color experiment

+1 elysian banner

The draft was strong in primal but pivoted between hooru and elysian without one faction being good enough to abbandon the other. People to my sides were obviously picking time(P1 and P3) and justice(P2 and P4), with primal and fire being pretty open. Didn't see enough good shadow to swing into feln so I stayed commited to my flailing and just got what I could get with the plan to figure it out at the end of the draft. I was scared off getting power/influence hosed and didn't really believe in the deck but it actually worked out pretty well since I was lucky enough to grab fixing. Went 5-0 before I lost to two insanely good decks that just pounded me into dust and then I brought it home. Evolution is still disgustingly good and I actually rare drafted it P2P1 because it was a foil and I still had hope for elysian. Won me like three games cause guess what it's bonkers with paladins! Also shout out to the guy at 0-0 that played pilfer/sabotage/herald's song and like five copies of scheme that he also put echo on for some reason. I'll never understand why new players like these garbage cards but I see them a lot in my first few matches or when I fall into the loser bracket early. Didn't play nearly enough to hit diamond or master this month but at least I'll finish both leagues in gold.

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 30, 2017

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Got Diamond in about an hour this season. I think I went 15-5 with mono red. I equipped a Stonescar Maul and it gave my Torch overwhelm, then I lost the maul and the overwhelm text on my Torch disappeared. Bug?

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

bamhand posted:

Got Diamond in about an hour this season. I think I went 15-5 with mono red. I equipped a Stonescar Maul and it gave my Torch overwhelm, then I lost the maul and the overwhelm text on my Torch disappeared. Bug?

Your spells have the combat abilities of your relic weapon for as long as you have that relic weapon. Working as intended.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I guess I missed that part of the tutorial. Surprised it's never come up before for me. But then again I guess it only affects what, Maul and Last Word?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Lifedrinker also, or whatever it's called, for the turn you play it.

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

I picked up this spicy Channel Control list from an opponent yesterday and I'm having loads of fun with it. It abandons the board game to blank removal, and it feels like assembling Voltron when it goes off :hellyeah:

pre:
2 Excavate (Set1 #71)
4 Permafrost (Set1 #193)
3 Seek Power (Set1 #408)
4 Desert Marshal (Set1 #332)
3 Eilyn's Favor (Set0 #24)
3 Lightning Storm (Set1 #206)
2 Lightning Strike (Set1 #197)
3 Vanquish (Set1 #143)
2 Eye of Winter (Set1 #210)
2 Privilege of Rank (Set1 #157)
2 Scorpion Wasp (Set1 #96)
4 Wisdom of the Elders (Set1 #218)
4 Harsh Rule (Set1 #172)
2 Staff of Stories (Set1 #234)
4 Stronghold's Visage (Set1 #339)
4 Channel the Tempest (Set1 #244)
2 Sword of the Sky King (Set1 #186)
1 Time Sigil (Set1 #63)
5 Justice Sigil (Set1 #126)
7 Primal Sigil (Set1 #187)
4 Seat of Progress (Set0 #58)
4 Hooru Banner (Set0 #57)
4 Seat of Order (Set0 #51)

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
How do you beat Armory? I feel like Armory is there to gently caress you over whenever you decide to play control.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

saw a ton of Channel variants at Diamond/Master at the end of last season.

I've tried a few and brewed a few but it's so goddamn boring to play. And I like combo stuff, I just prefer things like Shimmerpack or Big Combrei where there's a little more to do other than remove/freeze/pray for pieces of the combo.

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

bamhand posted:

How do you beat Armory? I feel like Armory is there to gently caress you over whenever you decide to play control.

With this list? Drawing well and tight play :P
Wasp is in to answer Icaria, and a 1/1 Eye/Decay split may help hedge in that matchup some. I forgot to include the jank disclosure, but it IS playing with 4 Stronghold Visage.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
God I hate draft so much, what a pile of rng garbage

Also they released 2 new bad promo cards

Ledgem
Oct 20, 2010
Can someone explain to me what the gently caress is wrong with eternal draft? or any of the drat RNG in this game.

I just had ANOTHER 0/3 draft run because despite 17 mana sources my deck decides no, you need 10 loving mana all three games in a row while the opponent just gets to play creatures every turn. There is NOTHING I can do about this! Not only is the drafting lacking any actual gods damned signals despite what people seem to claim, it doesn't even matter cause whatever cards I get I'm just going to get flooded every time. I've played magic almost my entire life it has NEVER been this bad!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Obfuscation posted:

God I hate draft so much, what a pile of rng garbage

Also they released 2 new bad promo cards
The influence costs are dramatic, but I guess making high influence costs is part of the devs' MO of making the game as inconsistent as possible.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
the Argenport card might be alright with more support, but the skycrag one is going to eat poo poo pretty hard.

E: There might be a TJS deck that works alright, there's just not enough payoff for lifesteal synergy.

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 23:32 on May 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wu-Tang Secret
Nov 28, 2004

By a stroke of luck, I've managed to get a playset of Impending Dooms solely from opening packs. Is there any particular deck I should be building toward with these? I've been rolling with a deck I titled "Generic Stonescar Aggro" because I also just happened to have a full playset of Pyroknights as well, and it's better than my other garbage decks, but not mind-blowingly so. Maybe I'm just saying that because 50% of the time I end up playing against Feln/Felnscar decks that draw three Permafrosts by turn 4. I also have one Sandstorm Titan, so I guess I could head in the Xenan direction as well.

EDIT: Also, 0 Argenport Instigators. :sad: