Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

If you wanna get good at the game stop ragequitting first off. Like, holy poo poo quit that.

I know, I was exaggerating a bit. I did the training missions and loved it, but online, I'll play a few rounds, maybe get a few kills, but I'm pretty much clueless and usually die fast and early, or hang back and don't get much accomplished. I'll keep at it though!

Is it good to seal the objective room as defenders?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Colonel J posted:

I know, I was exaggerating a bit. I did the training missions and loved it, but online, I'll play a few rounds, maybe get a few kills, but I'm pretty much clueless and usually die fast and early, or hang back and don't get much accomplished. I'll keep at it though!

Is it good to seal the objective room as defenders?

I know exactly how you feel dude, I was the same when I was new. It all just boils down to map knowledge and not knowing the meta of the game. First few games can be rough until you slowly pick it up, but you'll be dying a lot or feeling like you haven't accomplished much for a while. But then it'll click and you'll be flanking and getting sick kills.

As for sealing the room, it depends. Some rooms are perfect to seal up, because they're very defensible. Other rooms, not so much, cause they're far too tight and open, and give attacks so many different ways to break in. For those types of rooms, it's usually better to leave unsealed and fall back to an adjacent room and keep an ear out. This works very well in secure area because 1) it lowers your chance of eating fuze's cluster grenades, and 2) allows you to open up kill holes looking into the objective, making it harder for enemies to secure. For hostage, it's typically best to be as close to the hostage as possible, cause all it takes is a quick attacker to grab it and run and then it's game over.

Edit: I really loving hate when my teammates are so dumb coming against a shield user. We had a round where Montagne was entering a room and he had Blackbeard peeking behind him getting off shots. I told my teammates to spread up to allow crossfire against Montagne, and they had a solid 30 seconds to reposition before the door broke and all hell broke loose. What do they do? They both crouch down in the train car (in Train Museum) and basically let Montagne waltz in, and all he has to do is focus on tanking the damage from the front whilst Blackbeard keeps peeking and killing them.

If one of them just had the balls or the smarts to run and stay behind the reinforced wall, it'd gently caress Monty up. He'd be stuck between facing forward and facing to the side to prevent getting killed.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 01:30 on May 4, 2017

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm

Carecat posted:

Casual matchmaking has changed to produce more balanced teams? I think before it would match each player with an opposite of the same skill level but now it tries to make entire games about the same skill level. At least that's what I've seen in solo queue.

You just got lucky bruh.

Colonel J posted:

If i m really really bad at this game am I better off playing rank so I'm sure to play vs other really bad people? I've been too scared to play anything besides casual, and usually ragequit after 2 rounds of not knowing what to do.

What Zaphod and Dugg said, also don't blame the game and learn from your mistakes. (This applies to pmuch all games out there)

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Whoa now, there's plenty to blame the game for! And the servers.

But usually it's user error.

Who wrote the Hibana code, Hard?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Technically programming mistakes are user error, if you think about it

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Who wrote the Hibana code, Hard?

https://youtu.be/cNgxyL5zEAk

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Nickname Pending posted:

The game can be very frustrating, especially when you are first starting off. You are going to die... a lot. In time, you will learn good strategies and become more familiar with the maps. I would suggest partnering with people in a squad with mics. Team work is absolutely key in this game. Try playing a custom game by yourself to learn the maps and experiment with different spots and blowing down walls and such. Stay away from ranked until you get used to it; you will be destroyed. I didn't bother till I was level 40 and still had trouble. You will get better with time. Even some of the best still have bad days.
As an add on, is this the same with target recognition? I find the majority of my deaths come from people sitting in one spot because when I peek I can't see them.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

:bahgawd:

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?

The Duggler posted:

Having played this game so long it's easy to forget the amount of stuff we take for granted in terms of map knowledge and objective play. You'll get better, but I imagine the learning curve right now is pretty massive.

I can kind of speak to this, since I'm starting to reach the point where I know some maps, or at least feel comfortable on some more than others.

Moreso than with any other shooter I've played, I simply needed to invest time into the game to get comfortable with it. There's so many variables with the maps with the walls and drops that even once you learn the basic layout, you still have to learn what can be done to the map via destruction and reinforcement.

Studying R6maps.com also helped tremendously. Clicking on the map and switching floors lets you track where you clicked, so you can see where drops lead. It's super helpful.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

That's one hell of a good point. Map layout is one thing, learning the hard way that Glaz can shoot out wooden floors above you and have free reign over shooting your entire team in the objective room is another. I've seen some really ingenious kill holes and peek positions that no amount of map knowledge will teach you until you experience someone doing it to you first hand.

I remember rushing my drone in and always getting it killed, and I was one of those people who would spam scan people for points. Then I saw some guy who played it smart and hid the drone somewhere hard to see so he could check in on the objective room whenever he wanted. Nowadays, I use my drone to ID (not scan) enemies, then once they're all ID'd, I position it somewhere near the place I plan on entering in. Gives me a quick and easy scouting option to make sure the room I wanna break into is clear.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Yeah, "Don't spot on drone round" should really be the new thread title.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Kikas posted:

Look, how else am I supposed to farm those points for MVP?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Jesus the servers are a real shitshow today. Constantly over 200 pings for both team, and now I'm stuck and can't reconnect after the game froze on me and my buddy and we had to reset. Stuck on "searching for opponent".

Nickname Pending
Jan 2, 2008

I learned how to play beer pong from the Prince of Uganda at a university party.

Flipswitch posted:

As an add on, is this the same with target recognition? I find the majority of my deaths come from people sitting in one spot because when I peek I can't see them.

Defenders absolutely have an advantage, as they know the points where you're gonna enter but you may not know where they are sitting in the room. Try to drone out a room first if you have even the slightest feeling someone may be in there. If you can, do so without them seeing your drone. If they don't know they've been spotted, you can rush the room and prefire their position.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Kikas posted:

There's always a caveat to that. If your team is in wall bang position spot away. I literally got 5 drone assists in one round on KAFE because the enemy team wasn't​ shooting my drone and getting walled and windowed.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Hard posted:

You just got lucky bruh

I wasn't imagining it!

quote:

We recognize that we failed to communicate what was intended to be a temporary and minor change in the way Casual matchmaking is handled. We are working with the various teams involved to ensure that we are providing you with more insight moving forward.
One of the issues that we are seeing from the community is the change to Casual matchmaking pairing players up with similarly skilled players. The change that was implemented was an adoption of your Ranked MMR into the Casual playlist. We wanted to do this to provide players with a more engaging experience in Casual. We know that it isn’t as much fun for our Diamond players to have to play Casual matches against other Diamonds as opposed to Silvers and Golds. We are comfortable with that, as it wasn’t very much fun for them to get stomped either. We would like to reiterate that this is a very temporary change. We have zero intention of this being a long term solution, and it is not our final design intent. To clarify, the method of matchmaking itself is what is temporary (MM based entirely on your Ranked MMR). The concept is not. We are working on ways to better tune it.
The second issue that has been noted by our players is the extended queue times for higher skilled players. This extended queue time is a result of what is called “clamping”. We are currently going through data that we have collected to determine where the sweet spot is for our high skill players between instant queue times and balanced matches for everyone. Please be aware that there will likely continue to be a queue time, as we do not intend for Diamonds to play against newcomers anymore, even in Casual. A fix for this issue will require a maintenance, and we will inform you when this is happening.
Thank you for your patience and understanding while we work on this!

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Thank gently caress! Maybe casual will be a bit more fun now to goof and gaff about in. Coming up against premade teams of Diamonds was just toxic.

I can't even imagine how more horrifying it must have been for newbies getting their teeth kicked in against the pavement by Diamonds.

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm

Carecat posted:

I wasn't imagining it!

hahahah what the gently caress i didn't even knew.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Hard's game fixes itself

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
It's nice and sorta strange to see a dev in the thread (I recognize I'm the newcomer here)! What do you work on Hard?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
As someone who joined just before velvet shell dropped: Casual was a very rough first exposure. I actually went into ranked with friends to grind to level 10 instead of sitting it out in pain like that.

I'm still not very good at the game and our MMR tanked, but it was better than getting my teeth kicked in while I didn't even know which rooms connected to which.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Malcolm Excellent posted:

There's always a caveat to that. If your team is in wall bang position spot away. I literally got 5 drone assists in one round on KAFE because the enemy team wasn't​ shooting my drone and getting walled and windowed.

Yeah well "drone round" I mean the prep phase actually. No benefit on spotting during the time when only drones run around.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Colonel J posted:

It's nice and sorta strange to see a dev in the thread (I recognize I'm the newcomer here)! What do you work on Hard?

Goon containment

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Colonel J posted:

He's a QA manager, so be sure to berate him for any bugs you find.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Hard is the Mohammed Saeed al-Sahhaf of Siege. Why else would he have created the thread?

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
I just blocked the remaining three defenders in a bedroom on Favela as Montange whilst my rear end captured the point :cop:

Blocking is always funny, except when it's a defuser in a corner then it's kind of lame.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Much like this game, I am dead inside and the only way I can feel again is with cluster charges.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNJD7ggicn0

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm

Colonel J posted:

The Duggler posted:

Goon containment

That's p much what i do here. I'm not really on official business so don't expect exclusive news but i make sure goons are heard and i get told to fix the game a lot.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

cat veira

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

I don't know what happened recently but several times now pubbies have learnt to bash my Montagne shield and then have their buddy shotgun my legs during the shield recoil.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
http://voidinteractive.net/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98VgvtWORC4

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

You're either SWAT or you're NOT

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

trap cat

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

I hadn't played siege casual in a while and I'm noticing a new word for tryhards. Sweaty.

Like I've finally become an old man online who has to ask what the gently caress the kids are talking about. I'm sure this comes from a moba.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Sweaty isn't a new term but it's probably being brought back. When you're a fat loser nerd exerting yourself just by playing a video game, you get sweaty. You're a sweaty tryhard.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Coil reference.

I'm mostly interested about the inclusion of a Walther MP in a video game.

Nickname Pending
Jan 2, 2008

I learned how to play beer pong from the Prince of Uganda at a university party.
This Frost Birthday challenge is a pain in the rear end. Sharing her between 5 people, most of whom are going for the challenge too makes it take way longer. At the very least, I wish it would include Buck so it could whittle down the amount of people playing her.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Nickname Pending posted:

This Frost Birthday challenge is a pain in the rear end. Sharing her between 5 people, most of whom are going for the challenge too makes it take way longer. At the very least, I wish it would include Buck so it could whittle down the amount of people playing her.

It does include Buck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nickname Pending
Jan 2, 2008

DoctorStrangelove posted:

It does include Buck.

Even thought it only says to get kills with Frost?

I'll be damned; just used Buck and it works. Guess this will go a bit faster now.

Nickname Pending fucked around with this message at 02:21 on May 6, 2017

• Locked thread