Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Before I started reading the book I had stumbled on Gaimen's blog post about his dream casting for Shadow being Vin Diesel so I just sort of let that inform my image. All the race questions kind of made sense since I always got those too growing up, and they were always the stupidest guesses.

In the 00s the most common fan-casting I remember was Malcolm McDowell as Wednesday and Vin Diesel as Shadow. Then when HBO was going to make the show in 2013 it was Tom Hanks' company producing it and presumably he would be playing Wednesday.

I know we're only one episode in, but so far I'm glad we got Ian McShane.

Steve Yun posted:

Man I enjoy having several Jesusi, but your idea of a schizophrenic Black Swan Jesus is so good too

The idea that a man who heard voices in his head and had violent mood swings between preaching peace and attacking people in a rage was schizophrenic is just absurd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I recall Jesus was only mentioned in passing as not being the most popular figure in Palestine, maybe?

Also I thought the Shadow Gaiman had envisioned was pre huge Dwayne Johnson

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
When I'm reading, I seldom attach the face of a real person to a book character. It only happens every once in a while. I think it helps me give the character freer reign to be him- or herself without the baggage of an actor, his or her previous roles, etc.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Guy Mann posted:

The idea that a man who heard voices in his head and had violent mood swings between preaching peace and attacking people in a rage was schizophrenic is just absurd.

This is the spoiler thread, not the edgelord atheist thread :j:

e: The Rock is who I pictured as Shadow when the book came out, yes. That would have been aces.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I recall Jesus was only mentioned in passing as not being the most popular figure in Palestine, maybe?

Also I thought the Shadow Gaiman had envisioned was pre huge Dwayne Johnson

I think Wednesday complains that he's a man who could fall in poo poo and come up smelling like roses and then mentions the Mithras thing.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
EDIT ^^^^ That was Whiskey Jack.

double nine posted:

Wasn't there a scene in the book where shadows talks with a totally not jesus holy figure guy in white clothes, bright lights, with undistinguished features? IIRC when he's at the vigil?

It was actually totally Jesus in the 10th Anniversary Edition of the book, but he never met him in the original novel.

He was just some guy in a mansion setting during the vigil, and Shadow got a good look at him. He basically said he welcomed the new gods of guns and hatred and other things, because having those gods would take the pressure of his shoulders due to the people that expected that behavior from him.

Basically, being a god where people expected various degrees of all things from him meant he was spread so thin he didn't have a real life outside of his mansion.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Guy Mann posted:

I dunno, beating up people who tried to make money off religion sounds like one of the sanest things a religious figure's ever done

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Wow. It's like this thread is a portal directly to D&D.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

LostRook posted:

Wow. It's like this thread is a portal directly to D&D.

I roll a d20 to attack :rolldice:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
RIFTS: American Gods

I'd play it.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Steve Yun posted:

Jesus being whitewashed is already great. What I'm really curious to see now is if Jesus is going to be portrayed as a liberal hippie or he's going to be Supply Side Jesus

edit: holy poo poo, I didn't know Al Franken came up with Supply Side Jesus

jesus and the abrahamaics aren't featured in American Gods because they get enough worship to be gods, instead of lame conmen and weird whores.

I think the only mention of jesus was about how he wasn't doing so well in India and wednesday saw him hitchhiking.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Normal Adult Human posted:

I think the only mention of jesus was about how he wasn't doing so well in India and wednesday saw him hitchhiking.

Afghanistan, but yeah.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

are there any plans to also adapt the short story sequels of "Shadow goes to a nice place and terrible things happen"? Monarch of the Glen, and the one in the nice british village and Bast

i mean, they should also adapt anansi boys too

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Shadow lends himself pretty well to being the watson of a bunch of different gods and monsters doing whatever it is they do

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Yup, love the gently caress out of this. Cloris Leachman can do no wrong.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

They cast some dude called Jeremy Davies on the show.

This is his actual wikipedia picture:

And Dickie loving Bennett

God this show has great casting.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

DentD posted:

^^ oh yes.

On the note of Shadow's race now being very explicit in this new medium, I'm not sure how to feel about the imagery at the end of the episode where he's lynched by a white mob. Yes, I realize that within the story it ties into some overarching themes about his godly heritage. But I feel like this was a very conscious decision on the shows part to make some kind of commentary on American racism. I don't know if it's gonna pan out or fail miserably but I doubt this will be the last example of blatant racist imagery we see.

Connecting lynching to Odin's sacrifice of himself to himself is, if nothing else, the kind of thing that would piss Nazi neo-pagans off so much I'm willing to wait and see where they go with it.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

oh yeah, i thought they would actually do the whole blood eagle viking vigil thing in the beginning - which would be really rad when paired with Shadow's lynching at the end. maybe that would be a little too violent

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I think two hangings in one episode would be a bit too much, thematically.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Shooting Blanks posted:

I took that as him deceiving the slaves as well, to an extent. So much of what he's saying would have no meaning for a slave bound for America - tobacco, cancer, police, etc. He's the embodiment of fear of what's coming, knowledge that where they are is a bad place to be but to an extent, the unknown. Technical Boy did the same thing, except was more forthcoming about his weirdness - but he's also very new, and probably doesn't see it as a bad thing. Mr. Nancy's appearance was more as he imagined himself, rather than his current corporeal form.

Maybe I'm way off base, but I have a feeling that scene was intentionally but I still think that scene was intentionally misleading in some way. If nothing else, it fits the character perfectly.

No, I'm with you exactly. That's what I meant by "he's a showman", he's playing it up, he's bullshitting them. To a certain extent he's telling the truth, but he's also playing them. That's Anansi true and true.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

They cast some dude called Jeremy Davies on the show.

This is his actual wikipedia picture:

Somebody never watched :lost:

precision posted:

edit: scratch everything I just said because...

There will be multiple versions of Jesus.

Jeremy Davies as "White Jesus"
Fode Bangoura as "Black Jesus"
Ernesto Reyes as "Mexican Jesus"
Justin Sanchez as "Hippie Jesus"
Joel Chico as "Asian Jesus"

So there you go.

THIS RULES

I want to see White Jesus meet Black Jesus so loving bad.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

precision posted:

RIFTS: American Gods

I'd play it.

Why would you go with Rifts when D10 Scion exists?

Its LITERALLY American Gods the roleplaying game.

They even name drop Neil Gaiman in the opening credits.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Zaphod42 posted:

Why would you go with Rifts when D10 Scion exists?

Its LITERALLY American Gods the roleplaying game.

They even name drop Neil Gaiman in the opening credits.

It's also total poo poo.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Zurui posted:

It's also total poo poo.

Lol have you played Rifts? Its the game with megadamage.

D10 is a revelation by comparison, even if Scion is the weakest White Wolf system.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Zaphod42 posted:

THIS RULES

I want to see Pentecostal Jesus get into a fight with Presbyterian Jesus. Wouldn't it make more sense to break them up by denomination rather than race?

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Zurui posted:

It's also total poo poo.

Well the original Scion was pretty bad, but there is reason to hope for the remake they are working on.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Zaphod42 posted:

No, I'm with you exactly. That's what I meant by "he's a showman", he's playing it up, he's bullshitting them. To a certain extent he's telling the truth, but he's also playing them. That's Anansi true and true.

THIS RULES

All I can think about is the Korean Jesus from the Jump St movies.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I think I said this in the other thread but I had a good laugh at the "I usually travel with my son, he takes care of everything for me" and the "I offer you the worm from my beak and you look at me like I hosed your mother?" lines from Mr. Wednesday. It's so blatant what they're referring to when you've read the book.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

After reading this thread I have realized that I barely remember anything from the book. I don't even remember who half of the characters are but I guess it should make it a more interesting viewing.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

I never watched Lost either, but I watched Hannibal before Justified and I never realized that Horse-Kicked Guy from Hannibal was also Dickie Bennett from Justified until I googled something else about the show, because dude really commits to ~disappearing into the character~. He rules, can't wait.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SunAndSpring posted:

I think I said this in the other thread but I had a good laugh at the "I usually travel with my son, he takes care of everything for me" and the "I offer you the worm from my beak and you look at me like I hosed your mother?" lines from Mr. Wednesday. It's so blatant what they're referring to when you've read the book.

That is an exceptionally good line because Odin stole the mead of poetry from Suttungr by drinking a bunch of it and puking it back out. and pooping, a bit but that's beside the point

Normal Adult Human fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 6, 2017

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Meet Czernobog:

https://www.polygon.com/tv/2017/5/5/15544738/american-gods-czernobog-episode-2

What kind of loving Faustian bargain did this show's casting director have to make to get all these spot-on, amazing people together in one project? Is American Gods somehow responsible for Donald Trump?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Crow Jane posted:

What kind of loving Faustian bargain did this show's casting director have to make to get all these spot-on, amazing people together in one project? Is American Gods somehow responsible for Donald Trump?

"Donald Trump" is just the bastard child of Media and Technology Boy.

e: good god now I want to hear Ian McShane say "Are you responsible for this Twitter poo poo?"

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Crow Jane posted:

Meet Czernobog:

https://www.polygon.com/tv/2017/5/5/15544738/american-gods-czernobog-episode-2

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I don't know how Bryan Fuller convinced someone to give him a truckload of money to make more of the stuff that got Hannibal canceled, but I'm so happy he did.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/myths-over-miami-6393117

quote:

Folktales are usually an inheritance from family or homeland. But what if you are a child enduring a continual, grueling, dangerous journey? No adult can steel such a child against the outcast's fate: the endless slurs and snubs, the threats, the fear. What these determined children do is snatch dark and bright fragments of Halloween fables, TV news, and candy-colored Bible-story leaflets from street-corner preachers, and like birds building a nest from scraps, weave their own myths. The "secret stories" are carefully guarded knowledge, never shared with older siblings or parents for fear of being ridiculed -- or spanked for blasphemy. But their accounts of an exiled God who cannot or will not respond to human pleas as his angels wage war with Hell is, to shelter children, a plausible explanation for having no safe home, and one that engages them in an epic clash.

This article isn't directly related to the show but drat if it doesn't give me the same forlorn vibes.

I hadn't realized this was out, psyched to watch the first episode. The book portrays that drab midwestern road tribe perfectly.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Someone placed a curse on Bryan Fuller that would cause his shows to get cancelled no matter how good they were, so he decided to work on a show that would end in 2-3 seasons

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
...or maybe he used Star Trek Discovery as a blood sacrifice to save American Gods

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

He made a bargain with Media. He picked making this show instead of seeing Lucy's tits.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I hope Media at one point takes on the guise of late-90s icon Dana Scully

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I am a huge fan of both Star Trek and boobs and there is no single incarnation of either that I would rather see over this show.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

What the poo poo? Episode two is apparently available on starz/amazon streaming right now. Not that I'm complaining.

e: US, 10ish Pacific time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

hangedman1984 posted:

He made a bargain with Media. He picked making this show instead of seeing Lucy's tits.

Shoulda offered him Ricardo's pecs instead.

Mameluke posted:

I hope Media at one point takes on the guise of late-90s icon Dana Scully

If this doesn't happen I will be devastated.

• Locked thread