Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

zandert33 posted:

First pizza looks close to perfect. What are you one of those Chicago freaks?
I like pizza that has some actual toppings on it.

sweeperbravo posted:

request- Share your best/worst school or work cafeteria food stories
When I was in primary school, the canteen sold strawberry yoghurt which was just plain yoghurt with chunks of strawberry in it. At some point they changed it to frozen yoghurt and I bought it once, assuming that since I liked strawberry yoghurt I would also like strawberry frozen yoghurt. To this day I have no idea why anyone eats frozen yoghurt. It's awful.

This, on the other hand, looks pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

I was in hospital for a couple of weeks in march with sepsis. First couple of days out the ICU I was barely eating and everything tasted awful and was dry as hell (a kind of dry hamburger patty and a soup I thought would be minestrone but turned out to be minestrAne I.e weak lovely broth with over cooked pasta bits were my first meal)

However once I started properly recovering and my insides started to wake up again I was absolutely ravenous and would time my day by when I would next be able to eat. Turns out that hunger really is the best sauce. Even when I got back home to good food I was daydreaming about eating the hospital food!

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

NLJP posted:

I was in hospital for a couple of weeks in march with sepsis. First couple of days out the ICU I was barely eating and everything tasted awful and was dry as hell (a kind of dry hamburger patty and a soup I thought would be minestrone but turned out to be minestrAne I.e weak lovely broth with over cooked pasta bits were my first meal)

However once I started properly recovering and my insides started to wake up again I was absolutely ravenous and would time my day by when I would next be able to eat. Turns out that hunger really is the best sauce. Even when I got back home to good food I was daydreaming about eating the hospital food!

Haha I was just about to post similar. Last time I was in hospital the nurses made fun of me because I thought the dinner was super tasty.
Being pumped with anti-nausea meds and finally getting to eat a food for the first time in a month makes even sad, overboiled vegetables appetising.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

p-hop posted:

I didn't care for raw tomatoes when I was a kid. I'd eat them, but complain that I just didn't like tomatoes. My parents convinced me to try a really nice ripe one that was just picked from our garden. Shake a little salt onto it, that's all it needs.

I ended up shaking a ton of salt onto it, and when I took a bite it was like dumping a spoonful of salt onto my tongue. I spit out the tomato and dry heaved into the kitchen sink for 5 minutes, ruined fresh tomatoes for me. Couldn't stand olives after that either, the saltiness triggered my new tomato gag reflex. 10 years later I finally got over it.

You dry heaved for five minutes from over salting a tomato?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Efexeye posted:

That's the saltiest thing I ever tasted! And I once ate a big heaping bowl of salt!

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Efexeye posted:

A goon palate is born

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Atticus_1354 posted:

Where's the balls?

:NSFW: http://i.imgur.com/TJ1EBDp.jpg :NSFW:

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

sweeperbravo posted:

I work in a kitchen, therefore,

Anyway. We closed the restaurant a few months back for a couple of days because a woman found a two-inch cockroach in her soup, right at the bottom. My favourite part is that a) she asked to have the soup replaced, with another soup and b) still ate her entree.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
RE: hospital food chat, I was in for 10 days just last week for heart surgery, and yeah I can totally agree with the previous poster that when first out of ICU after not having any food for almost 24 hours, you could've served me cardboard marinated in water and I would've eaten it. As the days progressed, I tried various entrees that were available to me (all of which were low sodium), and they were marginal. Hunger was still the major drive keeping me at least eating something. Everything was under seasoned, meats were dry, breads tasted more like cake (sweetish, pastry-like?), and generally not super appetizing. Salads, un-dressed, were kind of the worst thing. My blushing bride thankfully smuggled in two 1 teaspoon packets of salt, and a small container of oil/vinaigrette salad dressing which I horded like gold. It's utterly amazing to me the effect of 1/16 of a teaspoon of salt had on this food. It turned it from breadline food to Michelin 5 star dining.

The funny thing in all this is that I'm chronically hyponatremic. To the point that, until my sodium levels were high enough, the docs were actually delaying surgery.

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

cash crab posted:

I work in a kitchen, therefore,

Anyway. We closed the restaurant a few months back for a couple of days because a woman found a two-inch cockroach in her soup, right at the bottom. My favourite part is that a) she asked to have the soup replaced, with another soup and b) still ate her entree.

Look, if the roach is in the soup, that means you gotta eat it: if it ain't, you don't.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

p-hop posted:

I didn't care for raw tomatoes when I was a kid. I'd eat them, but complain that I just didn't like tomatoes. My parents convinced me to try a really nice ripe one that was just picked from our garden. Shake a little salt onto it, that's all it needs.

I ended up shaking a ton of salt onto it, and when I took a bite it was like dumping a spoonful of salt onto my tongue. I spit out the tomato and dry heaved into the kitchen sink for 5 minutes, ruined fresh tomatoes for me. Couldn't stand olives after that either, the saltiness triggered my new tomato gag reflex. 10 years later I finally got over it.

I was starting to come down with some flu or whatnot, mom's rear end in a top hat boyfriend thought I was being a picky eater because I felt kinda sick and didn't want to eat. I puked on the plate, and he made me eat it. It was spaghetti sauce with chunks of tomato in the sauce, rather than blended. To this day, the texture of tomatoes triggers my gag reflex. After actively trying for years, I've managed to deal with enough of it that I can handle shreds of tomato in a blended tomato soup, but anything bigger and I'm gone.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i didn't eat from Feb. 9th to Feb. 23rd , 2014 (my second colonectomy- if they put NBM on your chart, you can't even have ice or water, just these gross lip brushes with this nasty green paste on them). when i finally took a poo poo after my surgery, which indicated that they hooked everything back up okay, they brought me this:

i wolfed it down like a starving animal. still have no idea what it was

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

He made you eat the puke?

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

There was a story on Radiolab about a man who couldn't eat for months because of his guts explofing. He was fed untravenously.

He didn't get better and had to either starve or start eating and hope his guts would heal instead of blowing up again.

When he had the first bite of food he couldn't taste a thing. His taste buds had atrophied and his tongue had gone completely smooth and shiny.

http://www.radiolab.org/story/197243-gutless/

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Why David Beckham, why?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

axolotl farmer posted:

There was a story on Radiolab about a man who couldn't eat for months because of his guts explofing. He was fed untravenously.

He didn't get better and had to either starve or start eating and hope his guts would heal instead of blowing up again.

When he had the first bite of food he couldn't taste a thing. His taste buds had atrophied and his tongue had gone completely smooth and shiny.

http://www.radiolab.org/story/197243-gutless/

Man a scenario like that would probably drive me to suicide

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Shrapnig posted:

Why David Beckham, why?

What's that green stuff?

(Also tbh besides the pineapple and the unidentified green stuff it doesn't look so bad.)

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Mushy peas.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

why the random pineapple?

also every time I read this thread title I just think about volcano bakemeat.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

axolotl farmer posted:

I'm sorry axolotl, I laughed so hard at this sentence that I cried. The British spy posing as a French cop in "'Allo, 'allo" when he "attempts" to speak French immediately came to mind.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

sweeperbravo posted:

In AFP/non-AFP news, the school I did an internship at had the most balling cafeteria, the lady who ran it was an actual, true nauna and everything was homemade and full of love and seasoned perfectly and tasted good even if it had been sitting under the lamp a while. You could get a full size, real, nutritious, tasty lunch for less than $5. But now I'm not workign there anymore and have to go back to the standard school caf food experience :(

When I was in high school, the guy running the cafeteria was actually the owner and head chef of a successful local catering business; he ran the school cafeteria as a volunteer. The food wasn't home-made, and with a few thousand students to feed it wasn't exactly high cuisine, but it was always good.

He also liked to experiment, and at least once a month would serve up something "weird" and see how many people would bite. Once it was mollusc pizza; another time curried chicken breakfast crepes. (Both super loving tasty.) And every year he'd cook a haggis for Robbie Burns Day.

The best part of the haggis was that so few people would eat it that there would always be leftovers in the kitchen fridge the next day, and if you asked he'd gladly warm up a heaping plate of that instead of whatever the meal of the day was meant to be.

Haggis, despite how delicious it is, definitely belongs in this thread. Sadly I didn't take pictures.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

NewFatMike posted:

He made you eat the puke?

it was on the plate.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

NinjaDebugger posted:

it was on the plate.

That's less picky eating and more uh... child abuse trauma.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
The only story I have about school cafeterias is that fries were always the order of choice, because teens. There was never enough ketchup for some reason so it's where I learned to l love ballpark mustard on my fries, because they'd be cold by the time the ketchup line was finished.

Oh also in like, junior kindergarten through grade 2 I went to a school that had pretty good food, but the Chicken Ala King was the dreaded meal. Something about it was just so unctuous I could never eat it. My mom still refers to it as "Chicken Ala Barf" as that is apparently what I called it.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

is this a sandwich?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

twoday posted:

is this a sandwich?

yes

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

twoday posted:

is this a sandwich?

A sandwich pretty explicitly involves bread in some shape or form

this is clearly a salad

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

twoday posted:

is this a sandwich?

Then this is a deconstructed sandwich.

twoday
May 4, 2005

is this a sandwich?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

twoday posted:

is this a sandwich?

Do I have to solve this before I'm allowed to eat it?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

twoday posted:

is this a sandwich?

:qq: Different foods.... TUH TUH TOUCHING!

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
I cook professionally and as part of that make family meal for my co-workers everyday; between picky eaters and allergies the only food I can make that everyone will eat is rice with chicken or salmon. Every loving day. Anytime I make something else people just say "what is that? I don't eat that." Legitimately not liking something doesn't bother me in the slightest but don't say you don't like something if you've never even heard of it before. And then expect me to give you something from the menu. Or complain that we have rice and chicken every day when that's all you fuckers will eat.

Being a picky eater is a complete nonstarter for any kind of relationship with me.

twoday
May 4, 2005

Your Computer posted:

A sandwich pretty explicitly involves bread in some shape or form

this is clearly a salad

What if the center cube is bread? What if there are two bread cubes, each one on a different side?

Is a Caesar Salad a tossed sandwich?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Psychobabble posted:

I cook professionally and as part of that make family meal for my co-workers everyday; between picky eaters and allergies the only food I can make that everyone will eat is rice with chicken or salmon. Every loving day. Anytime I make something else people just say "what is that? I don't eat that." Legitimately not liking something doesn't bother me in the slightest but don't say you don't like something if you've never even heard of it before. And then expect me to give you something from the menu. Or complain that we have rice and chicken every day when that's all you fuckers will eat.

Being a picky eater is a complete nonstarter for any kind of relationship with me.

I'd suggest confronting your coworkers about this, cause they sound like a bunch of ungrateful assholes(the picky ones, not the people with allergies)

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Panfilo posted:

:qq: Different foods.... TUH TUH TOUCHING!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

twoday posted:

What if the center cube is bread? What if there are two bread cubes, each one on a different side?

Is a Caesar Salad a tossed sandwich?

I, uh...

have a lot to think about now.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

I like how you thought this:

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

You got me!

Had to double check that I went to the S.A. forums rather than tumblr.

Was a response to your use of 'picky eating', and not 'autistic'

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

being a vegan is a good way to establish myself as a good person

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

quote:

im gay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

twoday posted:

is this a sandwich?

What is the blue stuff? French onion dip with food coloring? The texture is really throwing me off, it looks like rice crispy treats or risotto or something...

twoday posted:

is this a sandwich?

Rubix Fude