Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

why they never created an Omegamon variant of VictoryGreymon and MetalGarurumon continues to confuse me, especially since they gave them weapons that so blatantly invoke Omegamon's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
1-3 were pretty good. 4...could have been better. Could tell that they were kind of confused how to go forward with that one. Hopefully, five will swing back around to 2 and 3's quality.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I thought two and three were the weakest myself, with the characters making dumb decisions, Taichi being insufferably whiny, and, once again, Yamato, the one character who should know better than this, just buying Himekawa's line about where Ken and the others were. Plus the uneven pacing and trotting out the whole "oh, it's Leomon AGAIN I wonder what he's going to do oh he's dead again" and having absolutely no one care except for the new character who didn't know Leomon at all or even talk to him.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I overall liked 1-3, they had strongpoints, but they also had weaknesses that 4 expanded on and at this point I've got no reason to believe these weaknesses will be addressed. 5 will probably be mostly setup for the finale, have a fight hyped up for most of it that won't quite deliver, the chosen children will ignore Mei in just the right ways for the plot to escalate, the enemy will continue being a vague set of philosophical and technological babble, 02 kids will be mostly ignored except for One person pointing out that it's odd they're not here, everyone will be pretty passive of things until an outside influence pushes them to do a thing to try and solve a problem and the animation will mostly be Alright with one or two shots of greatness and three or five of understandable low quality, plus a lot of flashbacks or long-running stock footage.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

TFRazorsaw posted:

and having absolutely no one care except for the new character who didn't know Leomon at all or even talk to him.
"Oh, Leomon's back."
"$20 says he bites it before tomorrow."

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That doesn't make any sense for an in-universe reaction, though. He'd only ever died once before being reborn, along with several other characters in Adventure's final arc. There'd be no reason for the characters to adopt a casual, even dismissive meta-attitude about that because they're not viewers watching the Digimon anime year to year. Not to mention, it smacks of going through the motions. "Oh, this is a digimon anime. Better kill Leomon and have it matter as little as absolutely possible."

It's the most forced moment in the entire movie series and honestly, is kind of insulting to the previous series, who while maintaining the "tradition" of offing the lion, managed to do it in a way that still told a significant story. Leomon's death in Adventure, Tamers, Kouichi, and BanchouLeomon didn't happen because the writers felt like "they had to", they built up to it and had it mean something. In X-Evolution, it sets the stakes and mood for what kind of story the movie is.

His death in "Loss" is "well we better get it out of the way". It'd be better if they didn't try, honestly.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

PMush Perfect posted:

Here's a hue-shifted version for shits and giggles.

Wow, I never noticed that before.

Frankly, though, this does show the conflict that exists between plans and reality. By making him exclusive, they thought it'd make him cooler...but it just made him impossible to get so the easier to get guy became iconic. Makes sense, really.

Also, evil Gennai is confusing me. They better have a good loving explanation in 5 and 6 for that. Also, was pretty disappointed that the Dark Masters didn't have their personalities. Originally, I thought the problem was, by rebooting the world, they were coming back. That was technically correct, but it was more Gennai being evil.

Also, the whole "this is just an avatar" thing strikes me as a hasty re-write. I think that, originally. it was supposed to be that the Adventure 02 kids got infected and turned evil, hence Imperialdramon showing up, IIRC (been forever since I saw that one). Something happened behind the scenes and they hastily changed the bad guy.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

for what it's worth, the Tri sociogram Toei released lists the "mysterious man" and "Gennai" as different people. My current theory is he's one of Gennai's many doppelgangers gone rogue or fallen under Yggdrasil's sway.

Covok
May 27, 2013

TFRazorsaw posted:

for what it's worth, the Tri sociogram Toei released lists the "mysterious man" and "Gennai" as different people. My current theory is he's one of Gennai's many doppelgangers gone rogue or fallen under Yggdrasil's sway.

I would actually accept "this is an evil doppleganger" since its hardly a new thing for the franchise. I would also accept "Taken over by an evil power and the good is hidden within" as that has also been a way to redeem evil characters.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
The earlier Tyrannomon conversation made me remember this fanart

:haw:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The earlier Tyrannomon conversation made me remember this fanart

:haw:

Poor Tapirmon. Sacrificed for plot reasons so a woman can go yandere and reboot the world.

It is pretty clever, by the way, to make one of the villains in a revival of a 20 year old cartoon be someone who can't move on from their childhood.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I thought the reveal for Himekawa's backstory was clever for several reasons:

One, the flashback's character designs are done in Adventure and 02's original animation style.

Two, everything about that scene is set up to make you think Megadramon was going to become Huanlongmon. And then he doesn't.

He explodes instead.

Covok
May 27, 2013

TFRazorsaw posted:

I thought the reveal for Himekawa's backstory was clever for several reasons:

One, the flashback's character designs are done in Adventure and 02's original animation style.

Two, everything about that scene is set up to make you think Megadramon was going to become Huanlongmon. And then he doesn't.

He explodes instead.

I know exactly what you mean! I kept expecting him to turn into the fifth hero and, instead, he just gets killed off. It almost feels like they hosed up or failed somehow. Or something interfered. It kind of feels like that wasn't how things were supposed to go.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It actually ties in pretty well into the theme about Adventure and 02 being about kids who have had to confront being child soldiers. There's also sacrifice and loss. Maybe some of them aren't ready to kill like Miyako and Iori, or are so pure-hearted they can't stand to see people suffer like Hikari and Mimi. For one of these people, Himekawa, there wasn't even any coming back like there was for Patamon and Angemon. Himekawa is honestly really compelling in that she exists as a contrast to the Chosen kids and showing what happens when things don't end quite as well for everyone, and that these scars can continue into adulthood.

Covok
May 27, 2013

TFRazorsaw posted:

It actually ties in pretty well into the theme about Adventure and 02 being about kids who have had to confront being child soldiers. There's also sacrifice and loss. Maybe some of them aren't ready to kill like Miyako and Iori, or are so pure-hearted they can't stand to see people suffer like Hikari and Mimi. For one of these people, Himekawa, there wasn't even any coming back like there was for Patamon and Angemon. Himekawa is honestly really compelling in that she exists as a contrast to the Chosen kids and showing what happens when things don't end quite as well for everyone, and that these scars can continue into adulthood.

I definitely got the vibe that her generation of chosen children was the hosed over one. They didn't defeat the Dark Masters, they didn't defeat Apocalpomon and one of them was killed leaving their partner to wallow in misery.

On an unrelated note, do you think this will end with the Partner Digimon getting their memory back someway?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I can't imagine it won't.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

A thought:

Yamato is a man, who, as a boy, was convinced to betray his friends because a talking tree he’d never met told him to.

He is absolutely the kind of person who, when confronted with the possibility of the next enemy coming from outer space, would abandon his music career and shoot his rear end to Mars along with Gabumon.

Covok
May 27, 2013

How is Digimon: Cyber Sleuth and Digimon: Next World Order?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Cyber Sleuth is a great traditional grindy rpg, Next Order suffers a bit for being rushed and a bit incomplete with a digimon selection that's kind of overly reliant on recolors, but if you like the formula of Digimon World and Re:Digitize, you'll be okay with it and the international edition fixed some things in the end.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Once upon a time, I tried to LP Digimon World Dawn, but a combination of over extending and RL issues means I had to stop at Access Glacier. Think I might give that another go at some point.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'd follow a DS Digimon LP.

I'd follow pretty much any Digimon LP, honestly, nearly all of those games are not fun to play.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'd follow a DS Digimon LP.

I'd follow pretty much any Digimon LP, honestly, nearly all of those games are not fun to play.

Someone finally finished a Digimon World 3 LP recently. They still have the EU version postgame content to show but it's taken like 10 attempts to get this far.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

That "Someone" is General Yeti, and you shall salute him with respect.

Covok
May 27, 2013

dis astranagant posted:

Someone finally finished a Digimon World 3 LP recently. They still have the EU version postgame content to show but it's taken like 10 attempts to get this far.

Searching the forums quickly, I found a Digimon World Let's Play, a Digimon: Next Order Let's play, and the aforementioned Digimon World 3 Let's play For those interested.

PMush Perfect posted:

Once upon a time, I tried to LP Digimon World Dawn, but a combination of over extending and RL issues means I had to stop at Access Glacier. Think I might give that another go at some point.

I've been working on that hack I mentioned before. It's not ready yet, but you and anyone else interested in a digimon trpg that's more about narrative, relationships, and theme can check it here.

Also, forgot if I mentioned it or linked it, but there is an already complete Digimon TRPG game made by someone else that's more tactical combat heavy with some narrativist elements.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The Tri dub is out in America.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

TFRazorsaw posted:

The Tri dub is out in America.
:toot:

Is it any good?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

it's probably the best Digimon dub we've ever gotten

which is admittedly a low bar, but

it's honestly, solidly good

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Is it available for streaming anywhere yet?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Only if you pay for it on Amazon or iTunes.

It just came out. It won't be available on stuff like Netflix right away.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The English dub of part 2 is now listed on Amazon, with a release date of August 15.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

That's another Omegamon variant, Omegamon Alter-S. Instead of being formed by WarGreymon and Metal Garurumon, he's formed by two new digimon: BlitzGreymon and CresGarurumon

The edgy Omegamon that shows on Next Order, Omegamon Alter-D is a corrupted version of Alter-S.

Oh and that tweet is in spanish. :v:

That's actually kinda dope.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Zubamon's entire line confirmed for Hacker's Memory

https://twitter.com/Digisoulweb/status/865233001919242241

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
https://twitter.com/pKjd/status/865779794536837120
Huh, curious.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I guess Tri is doing pretty loving well

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Swords.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I've been watching some reviews of some stuff and there's just one thing I don't get about this fandom: the idea that every single Digimon who appears in a particular role is now beholden to appearing in that same role forever and ever.

Agumon can only be Taichi's partner. A protagonist's digimon can only be a protagonist's digimon, and only that particular protagonist's partner. You're "ripping [character x] off", so on and so forth.

This is despite variations of different creatures and multiple iterations of the same species showing up as unique individuals from day one, with even Taichi himself having an alternate counterpart in V-Tamer that is pretty disparate from his anime incarnation. Hell, Agumon stomps around a village of his own pre-evolved form and beats up another Greymon in the Etemon arc.

It feels like this fandom has a particularly bad fixation on nostalgia that's only gotten worse as the years went on.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

It feels like this fandom has a particularly bad fixation on nostalgia that's only gotten worse as the years went on.

No, that's normal for any long-running fandom, and also nostalgia is the entire reason Tri exists. You've just sort of got tunnel vision, and haven't really taken into account how people form connections to initial depictions of things, and want to defend their nostalgia in illogical ways.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

TFRazorsaw posted:

I've been watching some reviews of some stuff and there's just one thing I don't get about this fandom: the idea that every single Digimon who appears in a particular role is now beholden to appearing in that same role forever and ever.

Agumon can only be Taichi's partner. A protagonist's digimon can only be a protagonist's digimon, and only that particular protagonist's partner. You're "ripping [character x] off", so on and so forth.

This is despite variations of different creatures and multiple iterations of the same species showing up as unique individuals from day one, with even Taichi himself having an alternate counterpart in V-Tamer that is pretty disparate from his anime incarnation. Hell, Agumon stomps around a village of his own pre-evolved form and beats up another Greymon in the Etemon arc.

No, this is pretty much the way it's always been for a significant number of people in places where the Digital Pet craze never took off but the anime license did. I'm one of them, since I remember seeing Digimon World or somesuch for the PSone back in the day and I couldn't understand why you'd bring over Greymon but not Tai with him.

Part of this is that Pokémon started with two kids who were obviously RED and GREEN but slightly more fleshed out in order to sustain a TV show with a video game plot, but quickly the creators caught onto the understanding that people are as interested in the human trainer characters as they are the fictional monster fighters. Digimon has always had this weird thing where Adventure was cordoned off into it's own little corner of the franchise and they continue to pretend as though there's this great big fandom for the rest of the property and that it's the Adventure fans that are the weird ones.

This probably has to do with licensing issues between Bandai and Toei, but kids don't care.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 01:42 on May 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I just remember being at ground zero in the fandom in those earlier days and it just... it felt different? Yeah there was blowback to 02, and Frontier being all "not muh digimon" because of the humans transforming aspect, but there was also excitement over new things and different takes. Nowadays, it feels like the only thing that keeps Tamers from falling into the same pit is because it came relatively early in the franchise's history and because the writing was strong enough to continue overriding all that (and in saying this I'm not saying other series are poorly written in particular, it's a combination of factors).

I get what you're saying, but it's just. Frustrating. Even outside of what I talked about above, I've seen comments about how Cyber Sleuth "betrays the spirit of Digimon" because you don't have a singular partner zipping off with you to another world. There's this Adventure shaped bubble of insularity - and let's be honest, it's not even a nostalgic view of Adventure, but the Adventure with rules that people only think existed - and I just keep wondering what's going to happen when Tri is over and the franchise needs to find a new way to continue that isn't just banking on the first series over and over again.

Eventually that well is gonna run dry and we're gonna get another diversion, and I just wonder how people are gonna respond to it. Hell, we've already gotten it, but Applimonsters is marketed towards a different audience than Tri is, so it's going to keep marching along a different tier if it remains financially successful (the merchandise is doing well, unlike Xros Wars it actually gets a home video release, etc.) in order to get a continuation.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 01:50 on May 22, 2017