Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Let's Play Star Wars: Rogue Squadron!

Wait, hold up! Don't get too excited, as this is the PC version, also known as the "Why the heck am I not playing X-Wing vs Tie Fighter" edition. This version was released at the end of 1998, but it took a back seat to the N64 release. My memories of the game are all from the N64 version, and I only picked this up recently when it was on sale at GoG.com because, well, its good fun. Oh, and I rarely touch my N64 and its not plugged in and :effort:.

In any case, this LP will be a casual stroll through the game, aiming for 100% completion, or at least as much completion as is possible. I should note that, while the GoG version does a pretty good job, the game can crash at times, although this seemed most noticeable after a specific mission, but we'll get to that.

For the uninitiated, Rogue Squadron was pretty ground-breaking in '98 for consoles. It was a great arcade flight sim that had all of the star wars flavour with some solid gameplay. Missions are generally fast/action packed, with only one or two notable exceptions. It also has a few secrets that adds to the replayability. The PC version even has cheats, although there's really no reason to use them. As well, the videos presented feature commentary and no-commentary versions, for those of you who would rather listen to the various briefings and descriptions the game has.

So join Chaos Argate and I as well travel down the trench of nostalgia and enjoy the ride!

Edit:

Spoiler Policy
----------------------
Do Not Spoil Stuff We Haven't Seen, Please :)

Videos

Episode 1: Spreading Our Wings

Commentary version

Episode 1 - Sans Commentary

Episode 2: Going Rogue

Episode 2: Going Rogue - Commentary

Episode 2: Going Rogue - Sans Commentary

Episode 3: Informant

Episode 3: Informant - Commentary

Episode 3: Informant - Sans Commentary

Episode 4: Air Search Rescue

Episode 4: Air Search Rescue - Commentary

Episode 4: Air Search Rescue - Sans Commentary

Episode 5: Tibanna Ganja

Episode 5: Tibanna Ganja - Commentary

Episode 5: Tibanna Ganja - Sans Commentary

Episode 6: V for Victory

Episode 6: V for Victory

Episode 6: V for Victory - Sans Commentary

Bonus Episode 1: The Rogues Gallery

Bonus Episode 1: The Rogues Gallery
Note: I have added this to both playlists, but there is no commentary.

Bonus 02: CHICKEN

Bonus Episode 02: CHICKEN

Bonus Episode 02: CHICKEN - Sans Commentary

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jul 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Reserved

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Oh man, this game. One thing I remember doing in the second level out of boredom was flying under the transports. But I also remember that getting all gold before moving on in missions biting me in the arse for one mission.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
Oh man, I have such fond memories memories of this game. :allears:

I don't care what Blind Sally says, Rogue Squadron was way better than Shadows of the Empire.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Cathode Raymond posted:

Oh man, I have such fond memories memories of this game. :allears:

I don't care what Blind Sally says, Rogue Squadron was way better than Shadows of the Empire.

But this game didn't have Dash Rendar in it...actually that might be for the better.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Wasn't there a Steam rerelease recently? Maybe that runs better?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Oh hey, I remember enjoying the hell out of this game when I was a kid.

You might want to take a closer look at your thread title, though. Rogue Squadorn

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
May the Fourth be with us all! Great to see this.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Super excited about this! Used to rent a N64 from blockbuster when on summer vacation and try to rent the same Rogue Squadorn cart to continue off our save.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

....Oh man, I still have the n64 version, and a still hooked up n64 too.

Good times.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

This game owns, and so does Battle for Naboo. Shame they ran the series into the ground after Rogue Squadron II, starfighter mode in the latest Battlefront is rad and makes me hunger for a new 'un.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

bunnyofdoom posted:

....Oh man, I still have the n64 version, and a still hooked up n64 too.

Good times.

:respek:

If I could have, I would've recorded it off my tv. I really think the N64 is the better system to play it on.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The B-Wing vs Star Destroyer battle from like, the 3rd level of the second game is one of my favourite set-pieces in any game.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Well at least you didn't spell the thread title Rouge Squadron! :v:

I loved this game as it's sequel to bits as a kid, so I'm looking forward to your further updates.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
What is with the LPs featuring games I wasted hours upon hours on in my youth starting up? I can't be the only one who occasionally started attacking friendly targets in some missions in this game just for the joy of blowing poo poo up because of a general lack of "wreak havoc and kill everything" missions not mandating the y-wing.

RydogZeta
Feb 14, 2016
Nice to see a LP of one of my favorite N64 games. I liked in the N64 version that the control styles were names after Rogue pilots. I always used Wes while my brother used Hobbie.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

VolticSurge posted:

But this game didn't have Dash Rendar in it...actually that might be for the better.

*bursts through door*

DID SOMEONE SAY "DASH RENDAR!?"

Hey, this isn't Shadows of the Empire!!!

DoubleNegative posted:

You might want to take a closer look at your thread title, though. Rogue Squadorn

That was done on purpose and is a feature of this thread.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I apologize if this is a stupid question, but how come the Rebels are using Ye Olde Ymperyal Shuttles? I mean those triple-winged thingies that lug Vader around half the time in the movies.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

As years of buying terrible Star Wars books, games, and comics taught me, there can only be one type of shuttle for carrying people around in the entire galaxy.

VKing
Apr 22, 2008
I played this game so much. Had the PC edition, a Microsoft Sidewinder 3D and a wonky graphics setup that caused some interface bugs. I think I got all the gold medals, but I don't remember any more.

So much fun. So goddamn frustrating sometimes. I swear, tow cables are the bane of my existence.

Looking forward to the nostalgia trip! :toot:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

anilEhilated posted:

I apologize if this is a stupid question, but how come the Rebels are using Ye Olde Ymperyal Shuttles? I mean those triple-winged thingies that lug Vader around half the time in the movies.

Why would an entire galaxy need more than one kind of transport? :confused:

VKing posted:

I played this game so much. Had the PC edition, a Microsoft Sidewinder 3D and a wonky graphics setup that caused some interface bugs. I think I got all the gold medals, but I don't remember any more.

So much fun. So goddamn frustrating sometimes. I swear, tow cables are the bane of my existence.

Looking forward to the nostalgia trip! :toot:

Yeah, we'll get to the tow cables eventually, and what I swear is a "bug" or issue with the PC version only.

Also, since I forgot in the OP, spoiler policy is Do Not Spoil Stuff We Haven't Seen, Please :)

There's some cool stuff in the future that I would prefer was not ruined for anyone who has not played this game (go play this game!)

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

anilEhilated posted:

They probably just found the shuttles by the side of the road after they fell off of the back of an Imperial transport, alongside that crate of blaster rifles and the suits of Imperial body armor. How dare you suggest otherwise.

(In the old EU, which this game is a big product of, half of the Rebellion's gear in the early days was stolen Imperial gear)

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
The gear wasn't stolen, it defected along with the pilot :colbert:

Zidrooner
Jul 20, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Very nice first episode, looking forward for more. I remember playing this as a kid on pc and loving it while also wanting to smash my keyboard into little pieces in some parts (freakin tow cables!), it is nice seeing how someone actually competent plays it.

Anyway I'm curious, why is the N64 version better? What is different about it?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
As far as I can tell, not actually much. I thought it was more or less a direct port, but that the N64's controller made the game a lot easier to play compared to KB+M.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
The N64 version was better because it didn't have the same tow cable problem as the PC version. This may be confirmation bias on my part, as I never say the problem occur on my game, we'll get to it eventually in the vids. Edit: my game being the N64 version

Another thing that hurts the PC version, albeit unfairly, is that it had a lot of competition in comparison with consoles. As well, I played this on my tried and true method PS3 controller, which works well. I can't imagine playing the game with a joystick and/or mouse+keyboard.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 20:30 on May 5, 2017

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

The gear wasn't stolen, it defected along with the pilot :colbert:

Now that Rogue One is a thing, though, expect all future games to have U-Wings as the Rebel/New Republic transports instead.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Eh, even in the new EU a good chunk of the Alliance's stuff is stolen. Their Y-wings are mostly Clone Wars relics being decommissioned at scrapyards, and a lot of their ordinance is from old clone ammo dumps.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Episode 2: Going Rogue

Episode 2: Going Rogue - Commentary

Episode 2: Going Rogue - Sans Commentary

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
The tow cable screen is in the 64 version as well. I remember using it a bunch as a kid.

That first mission was probably the one I hated most as a kid. For whatever reason, I had a hard time killing the bombers fast enough to save the buildings. It doesn't look nearly the hard now

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Slaan posted:

The tow cable screen is in the 64 version as well. I remember using it a bunch as a kid.

That first mission was probably the one I hated most as a kid. For whatever reason, I had a hard time killing the bombers fast enough to save the buildings. It doesn't look nearly the hard now

Yeah but the tow screen on the N64 always followed the player properly, unlike the PC version which can lose you and then you have to fly blind. Get too far, tow cable detaches and you have to restart. Get too close, you hit the at-at and take damage or die.

Although, maybe itd possible the N64 version could exhibit the same issue? :shrug: I never experienced it.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Gaz-L posted:

Eh, even in the new EU a good chunk of the Alliance's stuff is stolen. Their Y-wings are mostly Clone Wars relics being decommissioned at scrapyards, and a lot of their ordinance is from old clone ammo dumps.

Reikan successfully called them bombers. My god though the fighter pop in.

Hey though, a different kind of shuttle!

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 02:20 on May 12, 2017

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Yeah but the tow screen on the N64 always followed the player properly, unlike the PC version which can lose you and then you have to fly blind. Get too far, tow cable detaches and you have to restart. Get too close, you hit the at-at and take damage or die.

Although, maybe itd possible the N64 version could exhibit the same issue? :shrug: I never experienced it.

No, it totally did that

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I can't believe Argate didn't recognize Dak, or Dack as he's called in this game's manual (edit: okay well he said he's not into Star Wars that much, so never mind then)

Actually, maybe I should be worried about the fact I can remember the name of Luke's rear gunner off the top of my head...

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 03:31 on May 12, 2017

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Doc Morbid posted:

I can't believe Argate didn't recognize Dak, or Dack as he's called in this game's manual (edit: okay well he said he's not into Star Wars that much, so never mind then)

Actually, maybe I should be worried about the fact I can remember the name of Luke's rear gunner off the top of my head...

But who can forget Dak! He was such a nice fellow, wanting to take the fight to the Empire!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Dak Ratler

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

He's ready to take on the whole Emp;ire himself!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Dak & Jaxter

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Not gonna lie, the whole "I've been disabled for two minutes, would you kindly stop shooting at me now?" bit made me laugh. That whole mission seemed really tense and action-packed, with Interceptors being downed left and right - gotta love a nice spiraling out of control animation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VKing
Apr 22, 2008
I always hated Corellia, but I think there's a later mission in the same vein I hate more.

Gerrard V is one of my favourite levels of the game, or at least I remember playing it a whole lot.

• Locked thread