Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I found a nugget buried in Sub Pop's internet archive on an old bio for Earth and what is probably the greatest indictment for our shared musical interests:

quote:

Downer use begins in earnest among one half of the band. Earth 2 recorded in august at Avast studios with Stewart Hallerman at the helm. Many consider this record a definitive statement of the drone triumphant. Other s merely the inevitable ressult of the damage downers do to perception of time and duration.

The whole thing is very funny. Such as the roasting of Joe Preston and his short time with the Melvins:

quote:

During show with Screaming Trees the drum machine first becomes a problem , with Joe repeatedly stepping on the pedal and restarting songs half way through. Joe's dream becomes reality. He is asked to join the Melvins. He can't leave earth fast enough. Dream becomes nightmare when his bitter, money-grubbing ways do not endear him to his employers. The Melvins can him. He takes revenge by bootlegging to his employers. The Melvins can him.
I think the second melvins reference is supposed to be Earth or some other band?

https://web-beta.archive.org/web/20070225012500/http://ogami.subpop.com/bands/earth/earthbio.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Any of you stoner metal goons going to Days of Darkness in October? I just saw the bands they added for the pre-fest and had to go ahead and buy my tickets and book all my poo poo. Inter Arma, Acid King, Cough, and motherfucking The Lord Weird Slough Feg. Nice mix of old school and stoner bands so I'm super stoked.

And I think next week I'm going to head down to the Miami date for the Obsessed tour. Karma to Burn and Wino are worth a few hours of driving and a hotel room, yeah?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

flirty dental hygienist posted:

Gonna try and see them in September in Tampa. Missed them the last time they came through. I'm excited to see Steve McDonald from Redd Kross with them on bass.

He's very energetic, it's weird because Buzz and Dale are so workman like and Steve has stage moves. Great loving band live, though, you won't be disappointed and they're tighter than hell with Steve. Hopefully you get a story or two from Buzz, he can be a really funny guy.

Exhibit A: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSDSpi0pc48

Exhibit B: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1kbDNW7mZY

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 03:52 on May 1, 2017

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

I saw them with Steve last year - even though my fav lineup is with Big Biz it was still great. I'm excited for the timing because the new album comes out about a month before I'll see them which will give me some time to absorb.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Big Business is comfort food.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Shakenbaker posted:

Any of you stoner metal goons going to Days of Darkness in October? I just saw the bands they added for the pre-fest and had to go ahead and buy my tickets and book all my poo poo. Inter Arma, Acid King, Cough, and motherfucking The Lord Weird Slough Feg. Nice mix of old school and stoner bands so I'm super stoked.

And I think next week I'm going to head down to the Miami date for the Obsessed tour. Karma to Burn and Wino are worth a few hours of driving and a hotel room, yeah?

Yep, bought tickets as soon as they came up. The lineup is great, and I'll be glad to escape DC during Halloween weekend.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

butros posted:

I saw them with Steve last year - even though my fav lineup is with Big Biz

After seeing that lineup live I'm not sure I can go back to watching them without the double drum kit anymore

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

Morbid Florist posted:

After seeing that lineup live I'm not sure I can go back to watching them without the double drum kit anymore

I bought Melvins tickets a few years ago thinking I was getting the Big Biz lineup and oops, I got Melvins Lite. Still cool though.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
They haven't done the Big Biz Melvins tour in quite a while, right?

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

They haven't done the Big Biz Melvins tour in quite a while, right?

When I saw them last it was for a landmark anniversary tour and they still had them on the road, maybe 4-5 years

Weird one's memory of a melvins show might be fuzzy

It's been long enough it sure doesn't seem like they're coming back

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Yeah Stephen coming out on a second tour seems like he'll be an addition for the next while at the least.

The downside of that in addition to no more Coady/Jared in the lineup is it makes it OFF! Tours less likely as well.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Saw someone hating on the double drummers im like what bro you crazy. Sometimes i doubt peoples' commitment to heavy music.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Saw someone hating on the double drummers im like what bro you crazy. Sometimes i doubt peoples' commitment to heavy music.

I questioned it at first and then somebody linked me to the set they did at 2011 Hellfest. Holy gently caress, the power.

Leaf Lock
Oct 21, 2010

:duckie:Caprisun Major:duckie:
Was standing in front of them and forgot earplugs. They played some Lysol, so it was worth it.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I don't mean to jump the gun or get too excited but

:stare:

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
new Elder track is streaming: http://echoesanddust.com/2017/05/track-stream-elder-the-falling-veil

Album is up for pre-order as well: http://armageddonlabel.bigcartel.com/

Sludge Tank posted:

I don't mean to jump the gun or get too excited but

:stare:

Nice.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The new Elder track is interesting but I wish they'd go full on heavy psych like dead roots stirring again :(

yoober
Nov 21, 2010

why do half of the new stoner rock bands think mid song tempo changes are the poo poo

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
elder owns, but dead roots stirring is definitely their best

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I don't even know if it fits in here but Oranssi Pazuzu is STILL kicking my dick in.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Same, but for Acid Bath.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
sleep-the clarity still owns

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

DEAR RICHARD posted:

sleep still owns

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
i saw sleep play music on the 20th of april

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

DEAR RICHARD posted:

sleep-the clarity still owns

completely forgettable song and easily the worst thing they ever did

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

It sounds like Om with guitar.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

dentist toy box posted:

It sounds like Om with guitar.

suffers from the same thing as shrinebuilder, it's like both pike and cisneros just played whatever they felt comfortable with on top of each other and the result just doesn't work that well.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Dyna Soar posted:

It's like both pike and cisneros just played whatever they felt comfortable with on top of each other and the result just doesn't work that well.

My greatest fear is that the new album will be nothing but this.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
yeah, most likely it will be. oh well, they had a good run.

this could be good:

quote:

FORCE-Discography 1981-1984 CD

80s female fronted Heavy Rock/Doom Metal with Al Morris III (of Iron Man fame) on guitar. Force were formed in 1977 and their debut self-titled EP was released in 1981. The band later called themselves Cheri Blade for a short period until disbanded in 1984. This anthology includes all the demos of Cheri Blade and Force, plus the EP. These demos were released in the early 90s on vinyl in a small Maryland label. None of these recordings were ever released on CD, so this is the first time its happening, under close supervision of Mr. Alfred Morris III, the true grandfather of Maryland Doom! Includes booklet with Al Morris liner notes, lyrics and vinyl artwork.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I mean, really, it can only be downhill after Dopesmoker.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Minto Took posted:

I mean, really, it can only be downhill after Dopesmoker.

it's true... I'm excited for the new Sleep album but I don't have any expectations

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I saw these guys last night. They are from out of town and borrowed amps from the supports and managed to burn through two amps.

Lots of energy on stage and crushingly heavy/loud.

Merchant

Keeping within the regulated doom band names of "old world name for an occupation and/or weed related"

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Laserface posted:

old world name for an occupation

This never occurred to me. Maybe Chimneysweep or Haberdasher would be cool.

E- ladydoom band name- Scullerymaid

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Snowy posted:

This never occurred to me. Maybe Chimneysweep or Haberdasher would be cool.

E- ladydoom band name- Scullerymaid

It's actually extremely stoner/doom/sludge to have a female title for an all-male band (Baroness, Acid Witch, Priestess)

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
e:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I'm excited for new Sleep, but I hope it doesn't also take 20 years to get the next Om album. Also I think I read in a Matt Pike interview there's a new High on Fire in the works for this year.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!

big scary monsters posted:

I'm excited for new Sleep, but I hope it doesn't also take 20 years to get the next Om album. Also I think I read in a Matt Pike interview there's a new High on Fire in the works for this year.

Yeah, new Sleep and new High on Fire later this year. Also, The Clarity was really good live when I saw Sleep last year.

Superimposition
Apr 23, 2014
Wrote a drone track about gender dysphoria. Dig.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDDbyZitCew

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

If the album sucks/is forgettable, only way it matters is how the songs crowd the setlist. Given how well The Clarity fits into their shows, and the nature of their live shows, I can't imagine how that will be possible.

This of course is assuming that the new Sleep record consists of several longish, high-volume, plodding songs musically influenced by Black Sabbath with lyrics concerning drugs, fantasy, and science fiction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Dyna Soar posted:

completely forgettable song and easily the worst thing they ever did

It's a great tune though? Maybe not up to the level of their classic albums, but it sure beats most of the material put out by their imitators.

The worst thing they ever did was attempting to cover "Mob Rules" with Scott Kelly on vocals when I saw them in 2010. Matt pulled the plug after about 30 seconds as I recall.

I really hope they do a proper recording of "Antarcticans Thawed" for the new album.