Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Thanks. I suspected i wouldnt see any real benefit unless I was really racing it more than casually. I plan to really drive it once or twice a month on a track with it mainly as a weekend driving around car.

It is going to be an ls3 powered 1966 chevelle on a roadstershop fast track chassis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Anyone here run Chuckwalla often? It SEEMS like they have proper events that are a session every hour instead of every 2-3hr through STAR, but I want to make sure I'm not missing something. Seems like seat time is limited compared to motorcycles.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Penskes are excellent but from what I've heard from pro race engineers, even with pro drivers and such, triples are almost impossible to tune without a data system. And 8760s are bank.

7500DAs are much cheaper and still good, but frankly there's nothing wrong with Bilsteins valved properly.

Similarly, monobloc calipers will be a bit stiffer but I think you're not going to have a very heavy car, and any of those should be dead solid.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
holy poo poo that sounds like it will be a sweet car to drive on track

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

mekilljoydammit posted:

Similarly, monobloc calipers will be a bit stiffer but I think you're not going to have a very heavy car, and any of those should be dead solid.

Not always. The steel bolts holding a two piece caliper together often make them stiffer than a monoblock.

Penskes would be pretty rad as long as you have support for setup and revalves and stuff. I like 3-ways because eparate high and low speed compression tends to be really useful.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

mekilljoydammit posted:

Not a very heavy car is relative, It should come out 3600 or less after everything I think, full curb weight ready to drive. The chassis adds about a hundred pounds to the original because of the suspension and rear end changes. The upside of this is that it also changes the weight distribution of the car from 60/40 to much closer to 50/50 with the LS3. I ought to be able to get it drat close to 50/50 as I finish the build as far as I can tell. It also lowers the car 3 inches without changing the ground clearance because the exhaust system runs inside the chassis instead of under it, and suspension changes means no part of the front or rear suspension hangs below the frame.

BraveUlysses posted:

holy poo poo that sounds like it will be a sweet car to drive on track

That's what I'm aiming for, but it's likely going to be another 3 or 4 years before I'm all the way done so don't hold your breath!

So the basic consensus is the standard shocks and the cheaper Baer Pro+ brakes. I'll put that on the list. Likewise if anyone has any suggestions or things to plan for during construction feel free to say so. This is really the first car I am restoring/building this way, so assume I am an idiot.

Thanks everyone!

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

jamal posted:

Not always. The steel bolts holding a two piece caliper together often make them stiffer than a monoblock.

Yeah, if you listen to Stoptech, who markets exclusively two piece calipers, that certainly is the case. ;) Sorry, I shouldn't be flippant about that... basically, if you can make the piston bores, it's pretty easy to have 3x the area of aluminum than the area of the bolts in the area where you'd sink cross bolts into, which takes care of the tensile stiffness, much less bending. The Stoptech article everyone goes towards is also making you assume a lot about bolted joints. Their points are true for some of the 60s vintage AP calipers, but that's why they don't make them like that any more.

And to stave off the predictable "people getting butthurt"... Stoptech makes good stuff, I'm looking at getting some of their STR42s for the front of my Miata project, and the rears I have I think are private label manufactured by them, and any differences between bolted or monobloc calipers are pretty wanky below the pro level. They're a business though and under no obligation to call people's attention to the assumptions they make in their tech articles.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Caliper flexing is annoying; however, trapezoidal pad wear from single floaters where the pads are also $170/axle.... yeah... I'll be over here in the corner with my floppy Wilwoods and $70 pads. :toot:

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Oh sure. If I were megabucking I'd be looking at Formula 3 calipers or something for a Miata, but in the real world I'm looking at Afco's Dynalite clones or maybe the Stoptech Dynalite clones.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

mekilljoydammit posted:

Yeah, if you listen to Stoptech, who markets exclusively two piece calipers, that certainly is the case. ;) Sorry, I shouldn't be flippant about that... basically, if you can make the piston bores, it's pretty easy to have 3x the area of aluminum than the area of the bolts in the area where you'd sink cross bolts into, which takes care of the tensile stiffness, much less bending. The Stoptech article everyone goes towards is also making you assume a lot about bolted joints. Their points are true for some of the 60s vintage AP calipers, but that's why they don't make them like that any more.

And to stave off the predictable "people getting butthurt"... Stoptech makes good stuff, I'm looking at getting some of their STR42s for the front of my Miata project, and the rears I have I think are private label manufactured by them, and any differences between bolted or monobloc calipers are pretty wanky below the pro level. They're a business though and under no obligation to call people's attention to the assumptions they make in their tech articles.

I think I heard that from essex parts about their kits using new AP calipers as well, even for their new "radi-cal" shape optimized deal.

jamal fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Mar 31, 2017

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

jamal posted:

I think I heard that from essex parts about their kits using new AP calipers as well, even for their new "radi-cal" shape optimized deal.

Yeah; bolted joints have limitations but honestly they work well enough. Of course, if I had a chance of them fitting I'd run PFC ZR34s but they're Superlite size, which is an issue on a Miata.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 4, 2020

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

puberty worked me over posted:

Thank you for the advice on gear to bring goons.

Found this little website:
http://winhpde.com/

It's neat someone took the time to compile a pretty comprehensive guide to HPDE.

The guy who made that website, Oleg is a great person. I've been on track with him at EMRA and IMG. Very meticulous guy and always has a notebook taking notes about things he observes while on track.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
e: gently caress it, I'll guinea pig

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Apr 10, 2017

BossTweed
Apr 9, 2001

Doctor Rope
I just realized there is a 24 Hours of Lemons in Kentucky this year
http://www.24hoursoflemons.com/events-results/188-kentucky-demo-derby

Anyone racing in it? Anyone from KY and need another person for their team?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
What's the verdict on RS-4s?

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Oh yeah, I should maybe post here too. Did my driver's school and got my Midwestern Council novice wheel to wheel competition license last weekend! I've done track days and what MC calls high speed autocross (time trial basically) but this was the first green flag racing for me. loving tits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoAqH1cRwI8

One of my morning sessions before the GoPro crapped out. It was a school and I wasn't confident in the car yet - I got better over the course of the day and was deliberately not focusing on braking points or using all the throttle yet, also because I wasn't always 100% sure that other people were seeing me. I guess what I'm saying is that I know a lot of experienced people could tell me how to go faster, but that wasn't quite the point yet anyway.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I ordered Hawk DTC-60s for the front and Hawk HP+ for the rear of the S2000 since I am on a square setup. Wasn't planning on them getting here this week but tracking numbers say they will both be here tomorrow so I'm going to toss them in after work so I can make Arizona Motorsports Park CCW on Saturday. First day in the S2000...... should be interesting. I've put about 300mi on my Nexen SUR4 and they seem to be a solid tire, though they definitely run wide. Car still rubs a little bit in the rear so I'll probably do some more rolling.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 05:16 on May 5, 2017

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
Doing the new Dominion raceway in central VA tomorrow w/ trackdaze.

Really hope they've made it more forgiving or built out some of the runoff zones, we'll see! First trackday of the year on a weird new track.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
I raced it last weekend with NASA. It's still a deathtrap.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Is that the one with all the walls tangent to high speed corners?

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
It's the one with walls everywhere.

e:

Since we're talking about Mid-Atlantic tracks. Anyone running in Hyperfest?

FatCow fucked around with this message at 00:43 on May 6, 2017

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
AMP went well. I was happy with my pads and the Nexen SUR4 tires.

This car is awesome.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
I didn't die at dominion - it was actually a super fun track if you can get past the total lack of runoffs.

Here's a clip from a ridealong I did at the end of the day after it was pouring down rain:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXMIG1LEsso

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Anyone know what the equivalent SA Arai helmet is to the motorcycle Arai Vector 2 is shell shape and size wise? I literally have four of them, but I would like something HANS compatible. Also, insert SA vs M argument thread here.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 23:56 on May 7, 2017

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
SA is fire retardant. Next.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Yeah. I was trying to short circuit that :v:

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
You can also buy SA-H helmets which already have inserts installed to accept HANS posts. I made the mistake of buying a regular SA2010 and had to spend extra money on nutwashers which are actually really loving hard to get separately at a reasonable price.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I'm in the market for a new helmet myself. Do you need a HANS device for NASA HDPE? I'll be doing my first in June.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
For HPDE you don't need a HANS, but as you progress and get to the point where your car has a cage, seats, and harnesses, getting a HANS should be a part of the budget.

I need a new helmet, too. :(

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

I'm getting a new helmet this year, and debating a HANS device. Going to reevaluate after the first track day.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

KidDynamite posted:

I'm in the market for a new helmet myself. Do you need a HANS device for NASA HDPE? I'll be doing my first in June.

Which event? I'll be at Thunderbolt in June in case you're local.

You don't need one but after my first weekend with NASA I'm fully aware that HANS+harness+seat is coming up. If you're on standard seats/belts the HANS just serves to do what your airbag already does.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

TrueChaos posted:

I'm getting a new helmet this year, and debating a HANS device. Going to reevaluate after the first track day.

If you have a harness (which I think I remember you do) why not?

3pt + CG Lock or 5/6pt + HANS for me.

I've never been in a 4pt that I liked more than the above two options. I'll take a 3pt + CG Lock over a 4pt every time.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

BlackMK4 posted:

How comfortable are they in car?

I can't compare directly because I haven't worn one with a six point harness, but you don't really notice wearing it after a few minutes.

drgitlin fucked around with this message at 23:47 on May 8, 2017

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
What about SA helmets that are pre drilled but not threaded? What about SAH2015s?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Oh, I see what it is: http://www.fia.com/technical-list-ndeg25-recognised-standards-helmets

Unless the helmet has both SAH2010 or SAH2015 *and* an FIA sticker too, you can't use in it FIA races.

WRT head-and-neck restraints generally, it seems lunacy not to wear one if the car has a harness.

If I had the cash I'd probably get one of these Simpson Hybrids rather than the HANS I currently use: http://www.ogracing.com/simpson-fia-hybrid-head-and-neck-restraint

The FIA version is certified for use with three-point belts as well, so you can use it on a track day in a normal car. GM and Ford bought a whole bunch and bring them to the media events where we get to drive on track.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

BlackMK4 posted:

You don't notice once the belts are cinched down.

I would never, ever wear a 5/6point harness without a HANS/HNRS device on. Even a minor impact with a wall can break your neck without one.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

I was never too keen on the idea of the head/neck thingies that go behind your back and strap on... seems more awkward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Blaise posted:

Which event? I'll be at Thunderbolt in June in case you're local.

You don't need one but after my first weekend with NASA I'm fully aware that HANS+harness+seat is coming up. If you're on standard seats/belts the HANS just serves to do what your airbag already does.

June 16-18 at Thunderbolt. And that's exactly what I'm afraid of happening to me.